Request The Fourth Legendary [As well as Future Mystery Items]

Do you want to see TLOPO use "The Hint System" for future items?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • No.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Not exactly.

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters
I think what we're seeing here is the difference between people who want to find this weapon, and people who want it to be found. Those that want it found really don't give a crap if the location is ever revealed, and think it will be exciting when it is found. Those that want a chance at finding the weapon want, well, a chance.

I think what we're seeing here is the difference between people who want to find this weapon, and people who want it to be found. Those that want it found really don't give a crap if the location is ever revealed, and think it will be exciting when it is found. Those that want a chance at finding the weapon want, well, a chance.
This is very true.

BOOooorring!!!
Just because you believe it is boring doesnt mean others do. In my opinion grinding the same boss for hours gives you more weapons/brights and a chance of getting that legendary said boss holds. Honestly its just as productive as running around yet again my opinion.

Just because you believe it is boring doesnt mean others do. In my opinion grinding the same boss for hours gives you more weapons/brights and a chance of getting that legendary said boss holds. Honestly its just as productive as running around yet again my opinion.
Okay.

For the record several people do this.
I certainly did that with Jimmy Legs but only because I knew that he dropped The Sapphire Curse. I agree that such a tactic is a boring proposition but when I knew the reward it was enough for me to do it anyway. In the case where you don't know what the reward might be it seems less advisable and in the case where there is a desirable reward but unknown as to where to find it it would be ludicrous to spend weeks only looting one boss in hopes of finding it.

I usually only do that with bosses in menta or DH.
I guess that that is because you know what those bosses offer, those bosses are known to offer unique and powerful items, they are the only place/way to get those items, and you would like to get those items. Killing Tomas 10000 times consecutively and exclusively might get you the 4th legend but I suggest you are more likely to get the 4th legend by spreading those 10000 kills out over a number of likely and a few unlikely bosses. The 4th legend requires a different strategy to have the highest chance of success.

I haven't given up looking for it and fight boss that do not already drop a known legendary every day. Not only do I see my guild do guild looting parties at these bosses, but I've come across groups nearly 10 large from guild like Raised by Wolves and Emerald Regiment at bosses like Jacques Le Blanc, General Hex, Devil Root and Undead Timothy Dartan -- as well as Foulberto Smasho. Many of the people that post saying the community has given up hope are representatives of guilds that frequently are at only bosses that are known to drop legendary weapons aside from just El Patron and Silver Freeze (and there is nothing wrong with that). I don't think the community has given up hope though, I think a large portion has given up on Devil Root though after 5 plus legendary weapons have been found without a new one. You can't really only loot Palifico and then after 3 months say it's frustrating that the fourth hasn't been found though and no one is trying, because people are trying. I'll give credit though almost no one is asking for a hand out of reveal, just hints. Only criticizing that people have given up hope, when they haven't.

I haven't given up looking for it and fight boss that do not already drop a known legendary every day. Not only do I see my guild do guild looting parties at these bosses, but I've come across groups nearly 10 large from guild like Raised by Wolves and Emerald Regiment at bosses like Jacques Le Blanc, General Hex, Devil Root and Undead Timothy Dartan -- as well as Foulberto Smasho. Many of the people that post saying the community has given up hope are representatives of guilds that frequently are at only bosses that are known to drop legendary weapons aside from just El Patron and Silver Freeze (and there is nothing wrong with that). I don't think the community has given up hope though, I think a large portion has given up on Devil Root though after 5 plus legendary weapons have been found without a new one. You can't really only loot Palifico and then after 3 months say it's frustrating that the fourth hasn't been found though and no one is trying, because people are trying. I'll give credit though almost no one is asking for a hand out of reveal, just hints. Only criticizing that people have given up hope, when they haven't.
I would say a hint is still an handout. Question: Anyone know if the Watcher gave out any legendary last year or this year?

I know last year the watcher didnt really give that much loot mostly gold and bones were dropped.. At least on my end of things.

You can't really only loot Palifico and then after 3 months say it's frustrating that the fourth hasn't been found
Whom said they did this??
I know I said i like to grind bosses at menta a lot for hours on end. I also have done so at DH (before and after his was found), Jacques, Thomas, Devil Root, even Timothy and have had no luck. I know several members in my guild are still actively trying but most have stopped due to frustration. I do agree at some point a hint should be given im not saying when but obviously right now people are still wanting a chance. Nothing stays hidden forever we just got to wait and see what comes you never know it could be you whom gets said weapon...

I would say a hint is still an handout. Question: Anyone know if the Watcher gave out any legendary last year or this year?
Last year The Watcher was known for her terrible loot. So far this year she does seem to drop better but no legendaries as far as I know. I expect she will only drop The Lost Sword and SF in terms of legends.

I'd like to start this off by saying that I understand the rationale behind keeping certain legendary weapons' locations a secret. Adding weapons like these without disclosing how to acquire them is meant to inspire feelings of mystery and excitement in players. This effort has mostly been successful; the additions of the seven new legendary cursed blades and the four new "Notorious Individuals" weapons both spurred a great deal of speculation and theorycrafting. This kind of community activity is fun, and definitely has its place in the TLOPO experience.

With that said, none of this has its intended effect if nobody actually feels like looting for the new weapons.

Players who weigh the option of pursuing the last remaining new legendary weapon are presented with two choices: they can either rotate between four or more bosses who are potential candidates for the last weapon's location, or they can simply loot at bosses who they already know have a guaranteed chance at dropping something they want.

Mathematically, this means that in the time it would take a player to achieve favorable odds of finding one unique legendary from those four or more bosses, s/he could have had favorable odds of finding four or more different legendaries of his or her choice from four other bosses. In other words, pursuing the fourth legendary comes at the opportunity cost of finding several other unique legendary weapons.

To exemplify this, in the time since I have given up searching for the fourth legendary, I have found several Lost Swords and Silver Freezes, Lost Blade of Leviathan, Behemoth Blade, Beckett's Pistol, and Jack Sparrow's Blade.

With this in mind, what rational actor would choose to loot for the fourth legendary?

I do not feel excited or curious about the prospect of finding this weapon. Instead, I feel discouraged, frustrated, and disinterested. Large swaths of the community are content to speculate about the weapon's location while waiting for someone else to find it and confirm or deny their theories, but almost nobody at this point actually feels motivated to pursue the legendary themselves. After a certain amount of time, hype alone is not sufficient to motivate players to choose to search for the legendary. They need some evidence that there will be a return on their investment.

If nobody is motivated to loot for the fourth legendary, what does it add to the game?

For these reasons, I think the TLOPO Crew should take the course of action that they took the last time players became discouraged from participating in new content. Just as they did when players gave up on searching for the seven new Legendary Cursed Blades, they should release some manner of hint or nudge in the right direction so players don't feel so discouraged.

Last edited:
It's interesting in some ways how people frustrated with finding legendary #4 parallels emotions and feelings felt by people who have yet to find a legendary. It's interesting because the two groups are often at odds when discussing loot. Group with legends often says "if you really want it spend hours and get lucky", the group without wants some sort of relief like maybe a spot that gives out El Patron or Silver Freeze considerably easier so they can at least experience a legendary weapon regardless of how others view the weapon as a negative to get.

I struggled with not finding a legendary for a long time and felt like I was wasting my time after completing all the quests and weeks looting obnoxious amounts of time. When I got one though, it was a massive emotion of accomplishment and I've felt a similar rush for the following legendary I have found. Without hints and building "maybe ___" cases in my head and going to various bosses is fun. It's like doing the BP quest again where you get frustrated like "why do I have to get these chickens to recruit this other person" but it feels, to me at least, like it's doing something beyond camping and being constantly frustrated knowing it drops essentially nothing you need other than the specific legend. I think a lot of people have all the cursed famed and have seen all the rare cursed. The drops get unexciting for weeks or months. Then you go somewhere maybe in pursuit of legend four, but no one knows, and you start seeing even commons you havent seen in months and find yourself reading them and going like "oh EITC Mercenaries Cutlass is OP for a common" or unexpectantly coming across a famed you don't find on RC or Tormenta. I get that doesn't change with a revealed location and you can still loot where ever, but it's kinda nice searching and moving around the map.

With the amount of time I've spent at a lot of these bosses, if I get El Patron or SF I'm going to be excited that the time paid off in something even if Patron 4 or 5 isn't valued in the community it would be a personal trophy for spending time looking at the location and getting something. I don't want two from the same boss, and I feel for people like Bort who pull an excessive number of them, but there are a lot of weapons people can pursue that they don't have that are dropped from known bosses. I think having a mystery one adds another level of excitement. I hadn't killed Bone Rattler since the quest guided me to until I was like "maybe legend 4 is Heart of Padres literally at the heart of Padres?" That's something I wouldn't have otherwise done. Now you can occasionally find people at Devil Root, Jacques, and Tomas. Before you almost never ran into people if you were there. When I'm at General Hex I still only really come across lower levels that join for a short time while doing other things, but it's fun. Even occasionally you'll be able to get 10 or so people, a number of which have Silver Freeze, join together to fight Foulberto for a couple hours. Hadn't seen that happen before there was a mystery. I've even seen groups on mat runs do a BP lookout with a couple questioning if maybe the boss ship could drop it.

The game is repetitive and often frustrating a lot of the time. Revealing or hinting that essentially narrows it to a reveal (ie. Legend 4 is a Throwing Knife, or "Silver Shot wouldn't be effective") isn't ideal either I don't think. Like how long before frustration wins out and the people that have given up give up again? 800 kills? I bet a lot less. An El Patron from one more boss that could maybe be within the hint? Who knows, but if you are frustrated you can look for Ruby at Cicatriz, Onyx at Crash, Sapphire at Jimmy, loot any of the non-bosses at Tormenta or RC for Emerald Curse, World Eater Blade, Abyss, Thunderspine, or Behemoth, Krakenslayer at Koleniko, Yore from Drench or Drizzle, Leviathan from Palifico, or one of the three other from the set in Jack's Blade at Darkheart, Mercer's from Remington, and Becketts from Neban. That's a lot of options for "do I want it, I'll go here". Want a chance at being first? Go look for it. Get frustrated? Go look for one of the others that are found.

I think the solution that a lot of people wouldn't like that have given up is a general increase in legendary drop frequencies. It would increase the discovery speed of new legends in theory, while also giving hope to those that play months or years without ever getting a chance to use even El Patron. What's the downside of increasing legendary drop frequencies? Someone who plays an extreme amount may actually get everything in the game? People that play a lot might get 4 or 5 legendary? They feel less legendary? Feels less legendary probably isn't the end of the world in a multiplayer game that is mostly a social thing. I don't feel like my very good sabre is less special when 3 others are also using it at a boss. It's kinda cool and we can talk about how excited we were. What is less fun is discussions like "please don't quit the game [or looking for a specific item], ___ will come eventually". If legendary items are like that chart from POTCO states with something 1 in 1,300 Loot Skull Chests, would it be the end of the world if it was reduced considerably more? Like even if it were halved 1 in 600 or 700 or whatever that would be like getting a 4 of a kind in 7 card poker. How many of those do you see? It's still rare it's just not insanely rare. It's still a heck of a lot more than a 1 in 40 skulls for a famed.

I'm still actively looking for it and all the others I haven't found. Hint or no hint I think the issue is general frustration with a lot of people. I think increased chance is a better solution than hints. On double loot weeks a legendary still felt legendary. If you got one in that time frame I doubt you view it as less worthy. I think that's the best solution for the most people. What good does a hint do other than get solved as a riddle quickly and then someone in a mob that hasn't invested time into search gets it within a day or two? Is that how the first one found should be? How does that help the people that play daily and can't seem to get a single legendary? Why cater to one group but not the other? Increased loot chance would be a solution all around, and those that have more legends in the more difficult to find it still brag they got it when it was even longer shot to get it. I feel like if this game in beta was released as a full release with the current loot frequency the vast majority would stop playing before ever experiencing a legendary. If it were better odds though, perhaps they or their friends gets one or two and they keep going. Keep going for 6 months and don't get one and its a lost potential member of the community as they quit feeling like the game is rigged. There's definitely a happy medium in odds between too common and too hard and I think it's currently too hard. If odds were made better maybe there would be the elite lucky frequent players that get everything, but I doubt they'd quit. If you enjoy the game that much you just make a second account and do it again. I almost quit after finishing all quests and looting for months only getting famed that people called "trash". I got lucky and got a legendary and kept going. I think increased odds would make that experience more frequent for more people that would become involved in the community and stay for longer amount of time.

I'd like to start this off by saying that I understand the rationale behind keeping certain legendary weapons' locations a secret. Adding weapons like these without disclosing how to acquire them is meant to inspire feelings of mystery and excitement in players. This effort has mostly been successful; the additions of the seven new legendary cursed blades and the four new "Notorious Individuals" weapons both spurred a great deal of speculation and theorycrafting. This kind of community activity is fun, and definitely has its place in the TLOPO experience.

With that said, none of this has its intended effect if nobody actually feels like looting for the new weapons.

Players who weigh the option of pursuing the last remaining new legendary weapon are presented with two choices: they can either rotate between four or more bosses who are potential candidates for the last weapon's location, or they can simply loot at bosses who they already know have a guaranteed chance at dropping something they want.

Mathematically, this means that in the time it would take a player to achieve favorable odds of finding one unique legendary from those four or more bosses, s/he could have had favorable odds of finding four or more different legendaries of his or her choice from four other bosses. In other words, pursuing the fourth legendary comes at the opportunity cost of finding several other unique legendary weapons.

To exemplify this, in the time since I have given up searching for the fourth legendary, I have found several Lost Swords and Silver Freezes, Lost Blade of Leviathan, Behemoth Blade, Beckett's Pistol, and Jack Sparrow's Blade.

With this in mind, what rational actor would choose to loot for the fourth legendary?

I do not feel excited or curious about the prospect of finding this weapon. Instead, I feel discouraged, frustrated, and disinterested. Large swaths of the community are content to speculate about the weapon's location while waiting for someone else to find it and confirm or deny their theories, but almost nobody at this point actually feels motivated to pursue the legendary themselves. After a certain amount of time, hype alone is not sufficient to motivate players to choose to search for the legendary. They need some evidence that there will be a return on their investment.

If nobody is motivated to loot for the fourth legendary, what does it add to the game?

For these reasons, I think the TLOPO Crew should take the course of action that they took the last time players became discouraged from participating in new content. Just as they did when players gave up on searching for the seven new Legendary Cursed Blades, they should release some manner of hint or nudge in the right direction so players don't feel so discouraged.
While I may agree if this was a finished paid/free game, I will submit that this whole line of reasoning is less than marginally important as I think the subject is negated most thoroughly as our job is beta testing and we aren't investing time to score loot or personal accolades, we're to return game information to the devs. Player disinterest due to a pure playability feature for personal gain may not be very far up a dev crews list.

But as a forum topic and ideas, it has it's place as a topic of discussion. But as a request to pressure the devs to do something in game I don't think it would float.

but thats me.

It's interesting in some ways how people frustrated with finding legendary #4 parallels emotions and feelings felt by people who have yet to find a legendary. It's interesting because the two groups are often at odds when discussing loot. Group with legends often says "if you really want it spend hours and get lucky", the group without wants some sort of relief like maybe a spot that gives out El Patron or Silver Freeze considerably easier so they can at least experience a legendary weapon regardless of how others view the weapon as a negative to get.

I struggled with not finding a legendary for a long time and felt like I was wasting my time after completing all the quests and weeks looting obnoxious amounts of time. When I got one though, it was a massive emotion of accomplishment and I've felt a similar rush for the following legendary I have found. Without hints and building "maybe ___" cases in my head and going to various bosses is fun. It's like doing the BP quest again where you get frustrated like "why do I have to get these chickens to recruit this other person" but it feels, to me at least, like it's doing something beyond camping and being constantly frustrated knowing it drops essentially nothing you need other than the specific legend. I think a lot of people have all the cursed famed and have seen all the rare cursed. The drops get unexciting for weeks or months. Then you go somewhere maybe in pursuit of legend four, but no one knows, and you start seeing even commons you havent seen in months and find yourself reading them and going like "oh EITC Mercenaries Cutlass is OP for a common" or unexpectantly coming across a famed you don't find on RC or Tormenta. I get that doesn't change with a revealed location and you can still loot where ever, but it's kinda nice searching and moving around the map.

With the amount of time I've spent at a lot of these bosses, if I get El Patron or SF I'm going to be excited that the time paid off in something even if Patron 4 or 5 isn't valued in the community it would be a personal trophy for spending time looking at the location and getting something. I don't want two from the same boss, and I feel for people like Bort who pull an excessive number of them, but there are a lot of weapons people can pursue that they don't have that are dropped from known bosses. I think having a mystery one adds another level of excitement. I hadn't killed Bone Rattler since the quest guided me to until I was like "maybe legend 4 is Heart of Padres literally at the heart of Padres?" That's something I wouldn't have otherwise done. Now you can occasionally find people at Devil Root, Jacques, and Tomas. Before you almost never ran into people if you were there. When I'm at General Hex I still only really come across lower levels that join for a short time while doing other things, but it's fun. Even occasionally you'll be able to get 10 or so people, a number of which have Silver Freeze, join together to fight Foulberto for a couple hours. Hadn't seen that happen before there was a mystery. I've even seen groups on mat runs do a BP lookout with a couple questioning if maybe the boss ship could drop it.

The game is repetitive and often frustrating a lot of the time. Revealing or hinting that essentially narrows it to a reveal (ie. Legend 4 is a Throwing Knife, or "Silver Shot wouldn't be effective") isn't ideal either I don't think. Like how long before frustration wins out and the people that have given up give up again? 800 kills? I bet a lot less. An El Patron from one more boss that could maybe be within the hint? Who knows, but if you are frustrated you can look for Ruby at Cicatriz, Onyx at Crash, Sapphire at Jimmy, loot any of the non-bosses at Tormenta or RC for Emerald Curse, World Eater Blade, Abyss, Thunderspine, or Behemoth, Krakenslayer at Koleniko, Yore from Drench or Drizzle, Leviathan from Palifico, or one of the three other from the set in Jack's Blade at Darkheart, Mercer's from Remington, and Becketts from Neban. That's a lot of options for "do I want it, I'll go here". Want a chance at being first? Go look for it. Get frustrated? Go look for one of the others that are found.

I think the solution that a lot of people wouldn't like that have given up is a general increase in legendary drop frequencies. It would increase the discovery speed of new legends in theory, while also giving hope to those that play months or years without ever getting a chance to use even El Patron. What's the downside of increasing legendary drop frequencies? Someone who plays an extreme amount may actually get everything in the game? People that play a lot might get 4 or 5 legendary? They feel less legendary? Feels less legendary probably isn't the end of the world in a multiplayer game that is mostly a social thing. I don't feel like my very good sabre is less special when 3 others are also using it at a boss. It's kinda cool and we can talk about how excited we were. What is less fun is discussions like "please don't quit the game [or looking for a specific item], ___ will come eventually". If legendary items are like that chart from POTCO states with something 1 in 1,300 Loot Skull Chests, would it be the end of the world if it was reduced considerably more? Like even if it were halved 1 in 600 or 700 or whatever that would be like getting a 4 of a kind in 7 card poker. How many of those do you see? It's still rare it's just not insanely rare. It's still a heck of a lot more than a 1 in 40 skulls for a famed.

I'm still actively looking for it and all the others I haven't found. Hint or no hint I think the issue is general frustration with a lot of people. I think increased chance is a better solution than hints. On double loot weeks a legendary still felt legendary. If you got one in that time frame I doubt you view it as less worthy. I think that's the best solution for the most people. What good does a hint do other than get solved as a riddle quickly and then someone in a mob that hasn't invested time into search gets it within a day or two? Is that how the first one found should be? How does that help the people that play daily and can't seem to get a single legendary? Why cater to one group but not the other? Increased loot chance would be a solution all around, and those that have more legends in the more difficult to find it still brag they got it when it was even longer shot to get it. I feel like if this game in beta was released as a full release with the current loot frequency the vast majority would stop playing before ever experiencing a legendary. If it were better odds though, perhaps they or their friends gets one or two and they keep going. Keep going for 6 months and don't get one and its a lost potential member of the community as they quit feeling like the game is rigged. There's definitely a happy medium in odds between too common and too hard and I think it's currently too hard. If odds were made better maybe there would be the elite lucky frequent players that get everything, but I doubt they'd quit. If you enjoy the game that much you just make a second account and do it again. I almost quit after finishing all quests and looting for months only getting famed that people called "trash". I got lucky and got a legendary and kept going. I think increased odds would make that experience more frequent for more people that would become involved in the community and stay for longer amount of time.
Agree pretty much. In the last 4 or 5 months, skull container drops have increased substantially and to me, that alone should and will increase my odds of getting a legendary.
But as I have stressed all along, I see a split in being here as a beta tester. Beta testing is about playing and reporting game issues mostly of non personal issues. Asking for things falls under what I consider personal game play and self accomplishments for the most part. Personal requests don't seem to impact the larger community. While our sentiment input is important, and I'm sure the devs see most of them, I'm not sure what percentage the devs take our personal requests and complaints in account or when they do so.

And on top of that, I'm sure there are a ton of people who have no inclination to beta test, just play for fun. So there's that.

gl

Back