The Future of the Forums

What direction should the forums head?

• Stay a Pirates Online Forum!

Votes: 54 49.5%
  • Change Topics to another game! [What game?] (all old posts will be kept)

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Be a general gaming forum!

Votes: 44 40.4%
  • Something else! (reply to let me know)

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I have been procrastinating writing this post, in part because I've unfortunately had a lot to do this past month, and because it's a post I didn't want to write.

Now, I care about this game very much and I know plenty of you do too. The forums will be here for you to keep in touch with your friends for the foreseeable future. Unlike Disney, I can promise everyone that the forums will not be going anywhere as long as somebody continues to use them.

Still, the future of the forums is a bit uncertain. It has always been my goal to provide for the community, so the future of the forums is essentially up to you guys.

Personally, I've been playing Pirate101 for quite a while and had considered starting a forum for it long ago but hesitated because I didn't want anybody to feel I was abandoning POTCO. The way I see it, the forums could remain as they are today, though I fear eventually the steam will run out. Alternatively, we could be a forum for another game, or games in general, or even a forum for people to stay in touch for closed MMOs.

I am very open to feedback and it would mean a lot to me if you shared your opinion on this important subject.

Thanks to everyone for making the community what it was and for making a great game even better. May it live on forever in our memories.

I've been telling alot of people that what this website could do, since the webaddress is very general and generic, is broaden it to The POTC Franchise, Make it a Pirate Gaming Hub (opening up AC:IV, P101, POTBS and more), or just in general being Pirate anything, not just games. The POTC Fanon Wiki did a similar thing to continue on and not die out, we used to be solely around POTCO but when the game's closing was announced we made the decision to broaden our spectrum. This site could benefit from such a broadening.

Davy,
You are amazing, and we appreciate you for providing the forums for us. It's helped us in many more ways than you realize. Thank you for keeping it going for all of us. I know when the game closed today, I suddenly felt lost in a way. An empty feeling. And the forums really let us know that we aren't abandoned.

As far as the forums future, IMO, I think because you made the forums originally for Pirates, it would be nice to keep it as that, but also to include all games. The roots of the forums shouldn't be forgotten (I think), and maybe should be named something like "Pirates alumni gamers unite" that doesn't sound too good, lol, but something along those lines I think is appropriate.

Thanks again for staying here for us!:D

Davy,
You are amazing, and we appreciate you for providing the forums for us. It's helped us in many more ways than you realize. Thank you for keeping it going for all of us. I know when the game closed today, I suddenly felt lost in a way. An empty feeling. And the forums really let us know that we aren't abandoned.

As far as the forums future, IMO, I think because you made the forums originally for Pirates, it would be nice to keep it as that, but also to include all games. The roots of the forums shouldn't be forgotten (I think), and maybe should be named something like "Pirates alumni gamers unite" that doesn't sound too good, lol, but something along those lines I think is appropriate.

Thanks again for staying here for us!:D

I agree with the above, especially with keeping the roots of this place. Slate off an area should we broaden our spectrum for our roots.

I like the idea of a general gaming forum. I know a lot of people talk about other games anyways, so I think it would be cool if we had general forums for discussion about each game. I think it would be cool to keep the POTCO posts because they are still a reminder of all the fun we had... I'm not sure about if the same name would be kept but I am hoping the community can still grow and prosper in times to come! :D

First of all, I would like to say that to be in the shoes of the Forums administrators...I can only "imagine" how difficult and challenging this next decision will remain. I - too - have been wondering this entire week the direction this forums will go and to be honest, I unfortunately have no clue as to what should or should not occur in consideration to the forums' direction or fate. *What I would like to say (and I feel that is worthy to note) is Davy's decision to include all of us into the decision-making process which is pretty "cool," in my book. :D

I guess if I were to share my own opinion, I would love to see the pirate-theme :xbones: continual on in such a way to where visitors would understand the initial connection the forums did have but, at the same time, understand that this forums is open to expanding its identity beyond POTCO to where the pitfall and danger of remaining complacent is entirely dismissed.

One other point I would like to say is that if the decision was made to expand the forums into the realm to include "other" gaming initiatives, then that direction should not contribute in such a way to where the decentralized of the community is ultimately muddled or lost.

*As a online user, what turns me off the most about other forums I have visited (which are non-POTCO based) is that most appear too global for their own good to where a visitor at any given moment in time is a bit overwhelmed or confused as to the discussion of topics at-hand and to where the gut-feeling of a "centralized" community is not entirely understood.

Well, it's called the "Pirates Forums," not the "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" forums. Since the name is not that specific, we can be opened to more Pirate themed mmo's here. All we have to do is change a few things and that's it. We won't have to worry about losing a few close friends if we had to make a new forum for, let's say, Pirates 101 since not everyone would switch over to that forum. Everything would be in one place.

(Something to note) I am not sure if I said this or made this clear so to be sure I shall clarify/add on. Something one could do with "The Pirate Forums" is look into not just being Pirate themed Games but just anything else pirate related such as movies and other things I know I am forgetting. (Something to note)

I have a good idea. Multiple games that you get into with dividers and sub-dividers to make it organized. Big games that a lot of people play that we can easily split up. On the homepage there would be links to each forums for each game and we'd still be able to keep our same swagger.

I, am praying. If POTCO was made open source as someone said, I would begin my own server. My best friend is a computer science engineer. He could help me with some of the coding, and I could build islands. It could maybe be a very successful. Disney gave up because there isn't 100k people playing. Small game developers would love to have all 10k of us, go play there game. (Probably 10-30k people play POTCO)

Now, I could only see if the game goes open source that the forums would be used very highly again. So because of that, I would like to see it changed to a general gaming forum. I would though dedicate a forum section to POTCO. To show are appreciation where the roots of the forum came from.

https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-renegade-sharks-video.9087/#post-150352

The reason we are all here is because at some point in time, we were a Pirate on POTCO. I know some moved on way before the green light flashed (if only it was that dramatic), but what brought each and everyone of us to these forums was because we are a pirate. Yes, I used the present tense, because once a Pirate, always a Pirate. So maybe for now add an apostrophe to show that these are the forums of pirates? And our thoughts, adventures, and new endeavors?

(I apologize if this is unclear. I know what I am trying to say, just not sure how to get my point across...)

Yep, I am indeed a pirate and all of us found a passionate interest in Potc and the facets of that game. There are indeed many MMO games on the market. I believe that we all came to that game in different ways but we all found something special that kept us there. So when I see someone here post something, I take it with a more interested ear than what I see on the new fan site I am looking at for other games. I think that this forum has much yet to offer but we will need fresh content since that game it was based from has come to a conclusion.

Maybe consider adding another section for a text-based RPG?

BZPower (the forum for the defunct Bionicle line) still has an active forum because members are able to create their own fictitious personas and write them into a story with the other writers and their characters. It's actually pretty interesting because no single person has control over the storyline and members are able to drive the plot in any direction they choose... and plus, I'd enjoy reading what other people come up with.

Back