The Future of the Forums

What direction should the forums head?

• Stay a Pirates Online Forum!

Votes: 54 49.5%
  • Change Topics to another game! [What game?] (all old posts will be kept)

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Be a general gaming forum!

Votes: 44 40.4%
  • Something else! (reply to let me know)

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
I think the forums should stay based the same way as they always have (pirate theme), but as several others have said before me, broaden the scope of the whole thing to include other pirate games and movies.

Maybe "pirate based", but including an "other games" area (swtor, lotro) where so many of us were forced to go.

We know Davy is busy with school and life too, so helping with ideas is good, and having patience too. ;)
It would be easy to give up at this point with the game closing, but we're happy you didn't, Davy. Thanks! :D
Davy Darkrage

No offense to anyone, but I think that forum staff that defected to new forums should lose their staff title.
Loyalty is important.

The way I see it, this is a "Pirates" Forums, so:
- it would be almost impossible to change the domain name into something else, unless it is re-routed and we would not want to give Davy all the troubles to do that
- being "a pirate" was and is (at least up to now) what brought/brings us together in our Forums

But we cannot and should not be stuck in the past, which in reality, Potco (at least for right now - I still have a little hope that one day, someone at the top DIMG management team would dig in to the old collections of games and find Potco as something that would have the potentials to be re-worked) as a game has become a thing in the past. The pirate spirit should be kept alive, and a lot of us still have good memories to tell others about Potco. And just like others have mentioned, there are a lot of other versions of pirate-themed games out there, and it is a good thing that our forums was named a general "Pirates Forums", not specifically referred to Potco game. We also could not close our eyes to the fact that some ex-Potco gamers have moved on to the different games and game themes; and to keep the community close-knit, we would need to accommodate their interests as well.

I understand that these would require a restructuring forums and sub-forums, and it would be a lot of work that would be all in Davy's hand, so there is no pressure for him to do all of these if he does not see these fit to the community's need/want. I would propose as follows:

1. No domain change; no name change, but put a tagline underneath the banner that says something along this line: "For anything pirates (pirate-related) and more" - meaning, opening the opportunity to accommodate other games more than what we do now. The most important thing is probably how our forums are described in the search engines; it would not not be as a Potco forum, but as a 'pirate-related and other games' forum.
2. Potco would have a big forum section by itself, which includes sub-forums of all Potco game-related forums that we have now (including news, guild and general discussions).
3. Create a new forum that would contain all other "pirates games" out there, no matter what game that is or by what company/developer. Potc Master of the Seas is included in this, as well as Pirates 101 or others.
4. Create a new forum that would contain all pirate-related topics, which include movies, music, stories and other things.
5. What currently is a sub-forum of "Other Games", would be given a bigger/full status of a forum, for all other games other than pirate-related games.
6. We keep other non game-related topics in a separate forum (what currently is the Shipyard).

If those separations are obvious and highlighted, we would bring more gamers to our Forums, and yet we would still pay respect to our roots as pirates and to Potco game that we loved.

Hey everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns about the future. Since we are in a sort-of "transitional" (post-POTCO) period, I hope that everyone continues to voice their opinion on the direction the forums will head. If you don't like something or like something a lot, I want to know.

It seems though most are divided between staying Pirates' or being a general gaming forum, but the overwhelming majority agree we should at least broaden our topic of discussion. I am not entirely against rebranding but a lot of long-time members and staff want us to keep our roots, so we will not be diverging from the Pirates' theme for the foreseeable future.

Other people have talked about remaking POTCO instead of abandoning it. Personally while I could see an open-source version of the game having some potential, I think POTCO-like games that have been rewritten from the ground up with a modern engine (ala POTHS) as being the best option as far as a new Pirates' game goes. I understand some may wish to stay away from Pirates' games entirely, and others have already found homes in existing games.

So, with all of that said, I think we will begin expanding into additional things under the Pirate theme. Is there anything Pirate related anyone would want to discuss besides movies and games?

Currently I am thinking of dividing the "Pirates Forums" into movies and games categories (both with several subforums/subcategories). The games category would also have an expanded "Other Games" category for games that aren't Pirate related at all.

Also, James Birkshaw mentioned an RPG forum. I thought that was a great idea, and it hadn't crossed my mind before. So please let me know if there is interest in this. Basically it would feature fictional stories that everyone has the opportunity to influence. Each post would be like a new chapter/segment in the story so multiple people can participate.

Thanks everyone.

I'm off till 15th due to school, However, I think we should make this forms for ONLINE gaming and having voting poll for each game that reaches 50 votes will be officially apart of the forms and any other can be submitted and voted for to be on the forums till it hits 50. Making this a POTCO Community unto ALL online games therefore keeping us as a family.

Dark Archive has moved to LOTRO so have I. - I'll also be on LOTRO, SWTOR and POTBS. Which all i'd like to submit if you all agree with me. That's what I think we should expand the Forms as. Change it to the POTCO community therefore if we move to other games will still always be the hardy Smashbulkers of POTCO!

The forms was to keep us together, what do you want forums to be?

Is there anything Pirate related anyone would want to discuss besides movies and games?
Not sure how much demand there could be for this but, I was thinking that it would be cool if this forums had a pirate-themed "reference" area to where various sources or websites could in-turn be listed for the purpose of assisting those whom have an interest towards learning more about the historical background of piracy (for either personal understanding or school-related projects). What would be ideal is if someone could post a link they might find and then if there was a way for that link to be added to a list to where each entry would automatically alphabetize itself according to the link(s) added for ease of use and retrieval access.

Also, what about adding a special section devoted to various pirate festivals which take place all around the world? Perhaps offer a place for those interested to understand more or possible attend a festival themselves, if they so desire. idk :confused:(shrugs).

in reguards to your site change i believe this is one of the last remaining spots for potco players to turn i personaly believe in the revival of the game. what may be a good plan is to maybe lean the site more in that direction to get people motivated which yes i know is a long shot in the dark but what is their to live for if theirs no purpose left? we have all had our lives impacted by the game its transformed my life ever since i started back in 08. we cant simply ignore and give up on something as if it were never their. its the same exact reason pirates is gone because they didnt advertise and they didnt change course a little bit and aim for new horizons which i whould like to see happen on here, a new horizon to reclaim our horizon on what is our realm and that is pirates of the caribbean online.​

View attachment 58846View attachment 58846 Ok what happen to my Pirates Of The Carribean Online game. Why did it close down because I haven't been on this game since a long time because I was so busy with my other games that I played. Like ( DC Universe Online, Dungeon & Dragons Neverwinter and Big Farm ). And moving to a new smaller house. When this game coming back on? This game reminds me the others 2 games of mine that close down is ( GoodGameStudios Farmer and Farmfever ). Those 2 close down as well. And know they have this 1 game called Big Farm that is still playing along.:parrot:

View attachment 58846View attachment 58846 Ok what happen to my Pirates Of The Carribean Online game. Why did it close down because I haven't been on this game since a long time because I was so busy with my other games that I played. Like ( DC Universe Online, Dungeon & Dragons Neverwinter and Big Farm ). And moving to a new smaller house. When this game coming back on? This game reminds me the others 2 games of mine that close down is ( GoodGameStudios Farmer and Farmfever ). Those 2 close down as well. And know they have this 1 game called Big Farm that is still playing along.:parrot:

Are you kidding? The game is no more...

For more information, please read below:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/pirates-online-closing-8-20-2013.8957/

Not sure how much demand there could be for this but, I was thinking that it would be cool if this forums had a pirate-themed "reference" area to where various sources or websites could in-turn be listed for the purpose of assisting those whom have an interest towards learning more about the historical background of piracy (for either personal understanding or school-related projects). What would be ideal is if someone could post a link they might find and then if there was a way for that link to be added to a list to where each entry would automatically alphabetize itself according to the link(s) added for ease of use and retrieval access.

Also, what about adding a special section devoted to various pirate festivals which take place all around the world? Perhaps offer a place for those interested to understand more or possible attend a festival themselves, if they so desire. idk :confused:(shrugs).

Its not a shabby idea if I may say.
Hey everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns about the future. Since we are in a sort-of "transitional" (post-POTCO) period, I hope that everyone continues to voice their opinion on the direction the forums will head. If you don't like something or like something a lot, I want to know.

It seems though most are divided between staying Pirates' or being a general gaming forum, but the overwhelming majority agree we should at least broaden our topic of discussion. I am not entirely against rebranding but a lot of long-time members and staff want us to keep our roots, so we will not be diverging from the Pirates' theme for the foreseeable future.

Other people have talked about remaking POTCO instead of abandoning it. Personally while I could see an open-source version of the game having some potential, I think POTCO-like games that have been rewritten from the ground up with a modern engine (ala POTHS) as being the best option as far as a new Pirates' game goes. I understand some may wish to stay away from Pirates' games entirely, and others have already found homes in existing games.

So, with all of that said, I think we will begin expanding into additional things under the Pirate theme. Is there anything Pirate related anyone would want to discuss besides movies and games?

Currently I am thinking of dividing the "Pirates Forums" into movies and games categories (both with several subforums/subcategories). The games category would also have an expanded "Other Games" category for games that aren't Pirate related at all.

Also, James Birkshaw mentioned an RPG forum. I thought that was a great idea, and it hadn't crossed my mind before. So please let me know if there is interest in this. Basically it would feature fictional stories that everyone has the opportunity to influence. Each post would be like a new chapter/segment in the story so multiple people can participate.

Thanks everyone.

I think that is a good idea for now. I think though that making it a general Forum for gaming in general is not necessarily a good idea because our roots were surrounded around pirate gaming (no not pirating games so you have them for $0) and we should continue our theme of pirates. I agree that our roots should not be left behind and should be continued on, this is something that just can't be left out. Pirate theme must stay if it were my decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a discussion on real sailing ships. They are incredible when seen in person.
What I would like to see (if someone did the research) is to have various different "ship" categories to where readers could learn anything and everything they want concerning the different style and classes of ships from long ago to current-day. By having separate ship categories, it would help to assist the learning experience and make searching for ship info. all the more merrier.

*Separate from the above, I think it would be cool to see some type of effort devoted to the distinction of both pirate "history" and pirate "current-day" to where each category could encompass a variety of areas devoted to readers educating themselves :reading:on not only the history behind the lifestyle of being a pirate of the past but also the current-day projects that are enduring today because of piracy (i.e., discovery and artifacts found, marine archaeology, etc.).

Even thou this forum has contiuntied to stay as a POTCO forum. I feel as if most threads and posts have little do with POTCO. It is sad but we need to make sure that the forum is exactly for POTCO and nothing else.

Even though this forum has contiuntied to stay as a POTCO forum. I feel as if most threads and posts have little do with POTCO. It is sad but we need to make sure that the forum is exactly for POTCO and nothing else!

The Pirates Forums have sections where players can post things which aren't related to POTCO. Everyone has the right to do so; if you have to say nor share your experience as former POTCO player choose the right category and post your story mate! :)

;)

Yes we can talk about how our pirate's funerals went. :)

You misunderstanded my explanation mate. Everything we "lived for" as pirates is not gone. Every memories and experiences we got from this game, changed our whole lives. If this doesn't mean anything for you; then you probably are in the wrong place. Even if the game is closed; our memories are still there, with us. As community (or what is left of it for some of you) we are still intact and we keep our memories alive rather than vanishing 'em.

A whole stack of memories never equal one little hope. :daggermouth: :parrot:

...And after all; this is bussiness. If you think that holding an online game is piece of cake, then go ahead and try it yourself. I do know that Disney is not the best company in many matters but this doesn't change the fact that there was a reason for their decision to shut down the game.

:flag: Do not blame them for what they have done; thank them for what they had offered you! :flag:

Back