The greed of piratesonlineforums.com

Treasurer

Site Founder
Avast matey's

The lesson today is: Mistreatment starts great things

What I will tell you is a true tale, as it is in the pirate codex that dead pirate tell no tales. It was a Sunday Morning in the Caribbean and it was a stormy day, when Disney decided that it was going to create a competition. Quickly - in a mood of surprise, a competition says you, I said - thought, with joy and excitement, - this could not be greater for a pirate. Hurry Hurry, did you hear that - I tell my mates with tears of joy, there will be a competition of might, and it just happens our guild is the most proud guild in the Caribbean, we shall participate, and we shall win.

We gathered around, and we participated in this competition. We fought day in and day out, and every one in the guild was giving their best - in the competition other guilds such as the likes McRaging were in disbelief, when they heard we had won. They are cheating they exclaimed! - you heard that right.

During this period we decided to join piratesonlineforums and it was their policy that if we made 500 posts and brought in 50 members, we would earn our own sub-form on their website.
We brought them a lot of traffic, we brought in just about all our guild members to that forum website where we made many daily posts and participated in the online community.

At the time there were around three other guilds that already had their sub-form, so we wanted to have our own so that we could post our stuff in it. We worked hard - specially @Captain Star, not only in the competition, we worked hard on the forums as well, posting and bringing new members. Our might was huge, within almost two week we were quickly approaching the 500 posts, we were around 487 - 13 short to getting our sub-forum according to the rules. The staff at their forum had never seen such a might, they had never experienced such a exponential grown, the other guilds that had their sub-forums must have taken over a year or two to archive this accompaniment. We were doing it in less than two weeks, we surpassed our goal - we ended up getting more than 600 posts (623)

guilds-subforums.png

The staff of these forums started to get worried, they didn't anticipate or planned on a guild just showing up, and taking over their entire operations by storm. Just before we met the threshold they turned their back, and started to mistreat our members, and to cause issues so we wouldn't have our sub-form.

I defended and stood up for member of our guild who they were abusing and mistreating - she came to me crying and was indignated. As part of their growing panic that we hit our target. I told them exactly what I thought - that they needed to stop abusing our members. For that, they terminated my account - without warning; that is the excuse they needed; they had zero regard for us, they didn't even flinch - not even for a second.

That is when I decided to launch PiratesForums along with my first mate at the time @Davy Darkrage. I proclaimed the idea - and said, I want to open a forum where we can welcome all pirates from all walks of life; Davy was loyal and always supportive. He however had doubts about what the project was about - he thought we were going to do a forum only for our guild, it took some time to get the idea well presented - I wanted a community, where everyone was going to join - and we were going to show them (piratesonlineforums) that what they did to us would hunt them, and for life it did - I am sure when they look at these forums, and now realize the big mistake they did.

They lost all the traffic, and their forums became increasingly irrelevant, dead. Little did they know, that - the shenanigan they did pulled on us, would cost them. Everyone of our members abandoned their ship; and our community flourished, at first only members of our guild would join as we had to first gain the trust of the pirate community as a whole; and so we did.

It was 10 years ago since all that happened. 10 YEARS. That is a lifetime for many!

Happy hunting mates!

It took me a very long to understand this; community is our legacy (and too, it is our virtue).

The forums derivatives are a very special place and I know, for myself, that the opportunity to just write things and to participate...it has meant the world to me! *I thank you, Davy, Star, and others whom have made this all possible. ;)

It seems like you, @Treasurer , managed to figure out what those at the other website did not. I bet they didn't realize the big mistake they had made, and I am glad we got piratesforums as a result!

Back