Suggestion The High Seas Adjustments

What are your thoughts?

• The High Seas could use some tweaks.

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • The High Seas could NOT use some tweaks. (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rumblestrut

Buccaneer
I'm making this thread because I feel as if some parts of sailing in "The High Seas" need to be adjusted; such as islands, ships, boarding, etc. As you are reading, you may think of these as minor issues, but I will state them anyways.
1. Porting: Before clicking the "Drop Anchor" button on screen, the ship always hit's the border of the island before most people will click it, which messes up the captain's ability to "Drop Anchor" since the mouse is over a text box that informs the captain that their too close to shore. This stalls for a few seconds, which can give ships such as Hunters and Warships time to strike at you and deal a good amount of damage, or possibly sink you. I find this irritating as I have to scroll my mouse down and click the partial anchor button. I know this is something very minor, but I want to give a recommendation how to to prevent this.

Recommendation - Expand the porting radius around the island. In POTCO, captains were given the ability to port before hitting the border of the island due to the larger radius. In TLOPO, ships hit the island right as it enters the "Drop Anchor" zone. The porting radius should be expanded far enough so it can give people enough time to click the "Drop Anchor" button before the annoying message pops up which baffles the captain on clicking the "Drop Anchor" button has for it is only partially clickable.

2. Sizes of Islands: I noticed that some of the islands are very dinky compared to massive ship vessels such as the War Ship classes or SOTL. An example of this is Outcast Island. While on land, the island is much wider and stretched out than every ship, by far, but as for sailing in "The High Seas", it's ridiculously tiny. This can be deceiving. Again, something minor like the porting radius but something I think should be changed.

Recommendation - Increase the size of the islands while in "The High Seas" so they're as big as they seem while on land. They shouldn't be smaller than ship. Also, the height of some the island's hills or mountains or trees should be increased too.

3. Departing from the Islands: When porting to an island, the character usually spawns in the front of the island (such as the harbor or next to a boat). However, when departing on a ship that's not usually the case. Usually, player's ships will spawn on the other side of the island with no harbor visible whatsoever. I can see this happening for the tiny islands with no harbors such as Outcast Island, but for islands such as Port Royal, Kingshead, etc, the player's ship should spawn in front of the island where the harbor is visible. Although this may seem personal, I find it annoying for how everyone who spawns behind an island such as Padres Del Fuego ends up having to make a gigantic loop around the island. Yes, of course, something else that is minor but something I feel that needs to be addressed.

Recommendation - Make player's ships spawn in front of the island, usually in front of the harbor. Although this could cause some collision problems, a way to counter this is to just spawn the ships out farther in the ocean. If this were to happen, that would make traveling or looting enemy ships more simple.

4. Ship Boarding (Two Parts): If you board an enemy ship, you will notice that all the enemies are gathered up in a single spot. This can be quite frustrating as you're trying to solo-board enemy ships but are being attacked by every enemy on the ship until you're overwhelmed and get knocked out. Another problem that should be looked at is how players go invisible after boarding an enemy ship is finished.

Recommendation - Spread out each and every enemy on a flag-ship so that they can't take you out all in one huge stationary group. Also, please take a look into the invisible player bug on ships after boarding a flag-ship. This is a bug, so it would be great if that were fixed.

5. Ships Collisions: It can be quite annoying to get struck or sunk by an enemy ship due to some other player's ship hitting you or cutting you off and you essentially become a human shield. If this were to be changed, it would make the ship battle experiences much better. I would think of this more as a bug. If players can run through players, shouldn't the player's ships be able to sail through each other?

Recommendation - Remove the mesh colliders between player's ships so they can sail through each other; however, enemy ships will still be able to collide with player's ships.

I'm making this thread because I feel as if some parts of sailing in "The High Seas" need to be adjusted; such as islands, ships, boarding, etc. As you are reading, you may think of these as minor issues, but I will state them anyways.
1. Porting: Before clicking the "Drop Anchor" button on screen, the ship always hit's the border of the island before most people will click it, which messes up the captain's ability to "Drop Anchor" since the mouse is over a text box that informs the captain that their too close to shore. This stalls for a few seconds, which can give ships such as Hunters and Warships time to strike at you and deal a good amount of damage, or possibly sink you. I find this irritating as I have to scroll my mouse down and click the partial anchor button. I know this is something very minor, but I want to give a recommendation how to to prevent this.

Recommendation - Expand the porting radius around the island. In POTCO, captains were given the ability to port before hitting the border of the island due to the larger radius. In TLOPO, ships hit the island right as it enters the "Drop Anchor" zone. The porting radius should be expanded far enough so it can give people enough time to click the "Drop Anchor" button before the annoying message pops up which baffles the captain on clicking the "Drop Anchor" button has for it is only partially clickable.

2. Sizes of Islands: I noticed that some of the islands are very dinky compared to massive ship vessels such as the War Ship classes or SOTL. An example of this is Outcast Island. While on land, the island is much wider and stretched out than every ship, by far, but as for sailing in "The High Seas", it's ridiculously tiny. This can be deceiving. Again, something minor like the porting radius but something I think should be changed.

Recommendation - Increase the size of the islands while in "The High Seas" so they're as big as they seem while on land. They shouldn't be smaller than ship. Also, the height of some the island's hills or mountains or trees should be increased too.

3. Departing from the Islands: When porting to an island, the character usually spawns in the front of the island (such as the harbor or next to a boat). However, when departing on a ship that's not usually the case. Usually, player's ships will spawn on the other side of the island with no harbor visible whatsoever. I can see this happening for the tiny islands with no harbors such as Outcast Island, but for islands such as Port Royal, Kingshead, etc, the player's ship should spawn in front of the island where the harbor is visible. Although this may seem personal, I find it annoying for how everyone who spawns behind an island such as Padres Del Fuego ends up having to make a gigantic loop around the island. Yes, of course, something else that is minor but something I feel that needs to be addressed.

Recommendation - Make player's ships spawn in front of the island, usually in front of the harbor. Although this could cause some collision problems, a way to counter this is to just spawn the ships out farther in the ocean. If this were to happen, that would make traveling or looting enemy ships more simple.

4. Ship Boarding (Two Parts): If you board an enemy ship, you will notice that all the enemies are gathered up in a single spot. This can be quite frustrating as you're trying to solo-board enemy ships but are being attacked by every enemy on the ship until you're overwhelmed and get knocked out. Another problem that should be looked at is how players go invisible after boarding an enemy ship is finished.

Recommendation - Spread out each and every enemy on a flag-ship so that they can't take you out all in one huge stationary group. Also, please take a look into the invisible player bug on ships after boarding a flag-ship. This is a bug, so it would be great if that were fixed.

5. Ships Collisions: It can be quite annoying to get struck or sunk by an enemy ship due to some other player's ship hitting you or cutting you off and you essentially become a human shield. If this were to be changed, it would make the ship battle experiences much better. I would think of this more as a bug. If players can run through players, shouldn't the player's ships be able to sail through each other?

Recommendation - Remove the mesh colliders between player's ships so they can sail through each other; however, enemy ships will still be able to collide with player's ships.

I agree, the high seas should be updated a bit. However, I tend to have a different opinion as to how it should happen.

1. The islands should stay the same size, but the ships should be a bit smaller.

The islands may look small, but if you zoom in to your pirate, you can see that the ship is very big, not the island.

2. The islands should have more things to do on them.

Each island should have a main quest, similar in size to that of the Hallowed Woods or Raven's Cove Quest. Not too long, but not too short either.

I agree, the high seas should be updated a bit. However, I tend to have a different opinion as to how it should happen.

1. The islands should stay the same size, but the ships should be a bit smaller.

The islands may look small, but if you zoom in to your pirate, you can see that the ship is very big, not the island.

2. The islands should have more things to do on them.

Each island should have a main quest, similar in size to that of the Hallowed Woods or Raven's Cove Quest. Not too long, but not too short either.

#1 was what I was thinking as well as I was reading through the suggestions.

As I was reading through this I kept thinking the ships are too big for the representation of the lands and therefore too easy to collide with other ships. Something else I would like to see is the coast lines being portrayed in the compass as you are sailing.

Agreed! And especially with number 1, it is annoying.

Back