Discussion The Huge Advantage of an official TLOPO Discord...

Alesaris

Swashbuckler
Let me preface this by saying I understand that for some reason Discord is frowned upon around here and may not be a great topic to discuss because of the "family friendly" image that's trying to be kept. However, I want to send a message to the devs about the importance and impact an official discord server could have on the community.

I've played multiple private server games before. One thing they all had in common was they had an official discord server where people could openly discuss the state of the game, and the lead developers ran the entire thing so it could be moderated to their needs. As far as larger games are concerned, there are fairly frequent developer interviews in which they discuss the future of the game, as well as upcoming content roadmaps (which we got for TLOPO a couple months ago that put a smile on my face). The amazing thing about the smaller game concept was that the devs ACTIVELY interacted in the chat, they talked about things that were being worked on and responded to people's bug reports and questions. These constant reassurances that the game and server was actively being progressed behind the scenes motivated me to continue playing. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I for one can't name a SINGLE TLOPO developer. Do developers have the moderator accounts on this forum? Or are those just very active/trusted community members? The combination of having a very silent dev team and one that I don't even have any knowledge of makes for a demotivating experience in the long run. Whenever I find myself getting burnt out of TLOPO, there is no post to go to and be like "Oh look! This new island is still being worked on and it might be released soon!" or "Oh look! this bug is being publicly addressed!" These type of exciting outlets for the future is what keeps me playing, knowing that I'm not going to be stuck doing the same exact thing for the next 2 years.

I understand the TLOPO devs are busy most of the year with College/full-time careers. However, being busy has nothing to do with setting up a forum in which players and developers can interact. I understand the whole PG-rated mindset of public resources associated with the project, but forum moderators could easily just moderate the Discord as well so I don't see the major problem. I wouldn't even care if the discord was locked and only the developers could post in it, as long as they were relaying information out at a more frequent rate than currently. There are so many ways to improve this amazing game and community that it just really bugs me that very little is being done about it.

Let me preface this by saying I understand that for some reason Discord is frowned upon around here and may not be a great topic to discuss because of the "family friendly" image that's trying to be kept. However, I want to send a message to the devs about the importance and impact an official discord server could have on the community.

I've played multiple private server games before. One thing they all had in common was they had an official discord server where people could openly discuss the state of the game, and the lead developers ran the entire thing so it could be moderated to their needs. As far as larger games are concerned, there are fairly frequent developer interviews in which they discuss the future of the game, as well as upcoming content roadmaps (which we got for TLOPO a couple months ago that put a smile on my face). The amazing thing about the smaller game concept was that the devs ACTIVELY interacted in the chat, they talked about things that were being worked on and responded to people's bug reports and questions. These constant reassurances that the game and server was actively being progressed behind the scenes motivated me to continue playing. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I for one can't name a SINGLE TLOPO developer. Do developers have the moderator accounts on this forum? Or are those just very active/trusted community members? The combination of having a very silent dev team and one that I don't even have any knowledge of makes for a demotivating experience in the long run. Whenever I find myself getting burnt out of TLOPO, there is no post to go to and be like "Oh look! This new island is still being worked on and it might be released soon!" or "Oh look! this bug is being publicly addressed!" These type of exciting outlets for the future is what keeps me playing, knowing that I'm not going to be stuck doing the same exact thing for the next 2 years.

I understand the TLOPO devs are busy most of the year with College/full-time careers. However, being busy has nothing to do with setting up a forum in which players and developers can interact. I understand the whole PG-rated mindset of public resources associated with the project, but forum moderators could easily just moderate the Discord as well so I don't see the major problem. I wouldn't even care if the discord was locked and only the developers could post in it, as long as they were relaying information out at a more frequent rate than currently. There are so many ways to improve this amazing game and community that it just really bugs me that very little is being done about it.
they release info when they're ready, having an official discord wont make that any faster. the forums exists, there really is no need for a discord.

but I for one can't name a SINGLE TLOPO developer.

This is intentional due to past security threats.

there is no post to go to and be like "Oh look! This new island is still being worked on and it might be released soon!" or "Oh look! this bug is being publicly addressed!"

We post Developer Insiders on our official TLOPO staff account: @The Crew.

I wouldn't even care if the discord was locked and only the developers could post in it, as long as they were relaying information out at a more frequent rate than currently.

This is a fair critique, perhaps more insiders could be written and/or Q/A sessions. There isn’t a real need to make a discord though, the Forums are suitable and already have moderation in place.

just join potco community
you are the most recent person to use general chat, and that was a week ago. An official discord could really help the community unite and bring everyone together in a place other than a forum. In most cases, it would be more popular than a forum. Discord is just easier to use and is also more modern and robust. Even if this is about a being family friendly, most people playing are gamers, and discord is marketed to gamers. Discord is also much closer to real-time support/help/troubleshooting.

Sorry, but is this a commercial for discord?
Like Mr. Teague, I don't see the pressure to have another forum type venue for such a small community. I actually see discord as a method to have more privacy instead of public discourse.
Sorry, but that's me.

you are the most recent person to use general chat, and that was a week ago. An official discord could really help the community unite and bring everyone together in a place other than a forum. In most cases, it would be more popular than a forum. Discord is just easier to use and is also more modern and robust. Even if this is about a being family friendly, most people playing are gamers, and discord is marketed to gamers. Discord is also much closer to real-time support/help/troubleshooting.
kek

There's already a Discord server for the TLOPO/POTCO/Pirate community and it's been open and extremely active for years now. @Jack Raidstealer of P E A C E Keepers runs it.
discord.gg/BrYHrQH

Also, the OP is referring to an official discord, that isn't an official one and it's more or less a guild discord. It's ill-advised to post discord links publicly on the forum, seeing as how it's against the rules.

Back