Discussion The Immense Frustration of Hollowed Woods 2018

HOP hasn't been released in TLOPO yet. You're comparing an item that hasn't been released in this game at all to 4 weapons that are apparently going to be seasonal. People have a reasonable cause to have frustration for only have such a slim time frame
I meant the analogy to equate these weapons by that you know of all these weapons and they are or soon will all be unlootable, nothing more.

Totally untouched screenshots. This is what happens when a pirate gets on the wrong side of Beggar. He pilfers your skull chest right under your eyepatch. Tonight at the watcher.

Attachments

• screenshot_2018-12-04_20-11-32.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_20-11-32.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 120
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_19-50-02.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_19-50-02.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 119
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_20-15-41.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_20-15-41.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 95
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_20-24-24.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_20-24-24.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 112
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_20-40-14.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_20-40-14.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 91
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_20-44-39.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_20-44-39.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 119
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_21-01-10.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_21-01-10.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 108
  • screenshot_2018-12-04_21-01-58.jpg
    screenshot_2018-12-04_21-01-58.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Totally untouched screenshots. This is what happens when a pirate gets on the wrong side of Beggar. He pilfers your skull chest right under your eyepatch. Tonight at the watcher.

I really don't understand why people complain about not getting famed or legendaries in skulls. The whole nature of looting is that things are rare. Do you really expect to get good loot in every skull?

I really don't understand why people complain about not getting famed or legendaries in skulls. The whole nature of looting is that things are rare. Do you really expect to get good loot in every skull? Are you so impatient that you have to complain about every single one?
lol. did you see the screenies? I had trouble posting them. It was a joke to Beggar.

I really don't understand why people complain about not getting famed or legendaries in skulls. The whole nature of looting is that things are rare. Do you really expect to get good loot in every skull?
I think what bothers people is that someone can theoretically loot for hours and get say, 50 skull chests on a good day (entirely arbitrary), and receive no famed or legendary being that its random and you can't really do anything to increase your odds (besides some obviously false superstitious methods). There's no real difficulty in this game, so there's really no skill to achieving such rare items. You sit and farm for hours rolling dice and are at the mercy of a random number generator... And other than looting there isn't much else to do in this game once you're fully maxed out. I'm not saying it's TLOPO's fault, it was an inherent problem with POTCO. I just don't get how people can continue to so adamantly defend this absolutely horrid gameplay loop and endgame and see not a single flaw in it.

I think what bothers people is that someone can theoretically loot for hours and get say, 50 skull chests on a good day (entirely arbitrary), and receive no famed or legendary being that its random and you can't really do anything to increase your odds (besides some obviously false superstitious methods). There's no real difficulty in this game, so there's really no skill to achieving such rare items. You sit and farm for hours rolling dice and are at the mercy of a random number generator... And other than looting there isn't much else to do in this game once you're fully maxed out. I'm not saying it's TLOPO's fault, it was an inherent problem with POTCO. I just don't get how people can continue to so adamantly defend this absolutely horrid gameplay loop and endgame and see not a single flaw in it.

While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I think that 'defending' the nature of TLOPO(POTCO)'s egregious endgame is a bit of an overstatement. I definitely don't want it to be a cakewalk to obtain the most notable equipment in the Caribbean, but until a better (or more rewarding) variant of endgame is developed for TLOPO which probably isn't a very large priority for the Developers, the game and its community will be doomed to repeat the cycle that is looting for hours, days, weeks on end for even just a single item.

I think the hardest part about repairing the state of TLOPO's endgame is the stagnant culture of those who've reached and have remained at this point in the game's availability. Notice how many of the top players in looting for either variant of the game have one, maybe two Level 50 Pirates to loot on, (to test different methodologies in leveling or leaving certain weapons, or two double the likes of a Legendary drop) and nothing else. The early game is grindy and tedious, and just to be able to return the point in which they can continue Looting for Legendaries.

It's a cycle doomed to repeat from the start due to the nature of the game, and unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't see this changing anytime soon.

While I definitely understand where you're coming from, I think that 'defending' the nature of TLOPO(POTCO)'s egregious endgame is a bit of an overstatement. I definitely don't want it to be a cakewalk to obtain the most notable equipment in the Caribbean, but until a better (or more rewarding) variant of endgame is developed for TLOPO which probably isn't a very large priority for the Developers, the game and its community will be doomed to repeat the cycle that is looting for hours, days, weeks on end for even just a single item.

I think the hardest part about repairing the state of TLOPO's endgame is the stagnant culture of those who've reached and have remained at this point in the game's availability. Notice how many of the top players in looting for either variant of the game have one, maybe two Level 50 Pirates to loot on, (to test different methodologies in leveling or leaving certain weapons, or two double the likes of a Legendary drop) and nothing else. The early game is grindy and tedious, and just to be able to return the point in which they can continue Looting for Legendaries.

It's a cycle doomed to repeat from the start due to the nature of the game, and unfortunately (or fortunately) I can't see this changing anytime soon.
Hollowed Woods, and the other short term events to me, are put in by the devs to appease hard core gamers during beta. I come to that conclusion by reading or trying to read ALL forum sections. There should be an official section of 'How to play and beat tlopo' for anyone who plays this game obviously in a 'have to beat or conquer' their video games methodology.

There seems to be palatable split between players here, one side of assorted visible beta testers and one side with hard core gamers who play to win and beat or conquer a video game for self satisfaction. We all love video games, or else we wouldn't really be here. There are similar experiences and sharing between sides surely as well, with guilds and friends and such, It's not black and white by any means.

But everyone has different reasons for being here but there's still a division amongst groups. Admitted or not.

Paradoxically, all video games fundamentally were/are created to be sold and make their creators, publishers and marketers money. Simple, basic and accepted fact. However, here sits tlopo, doing it for the love of the game? I've already said I'd pay for a sub or something if tlopo went full, but I think tlopo makes some money from facebook, or other venues, maybe even this forum and why shouldn't they. I think that's great. No one works for free, or should. Tlopo shouldn't be self punished group of people just because they love the game. Maybe they don't feel confident that the game is worthy of paying for yet. In which case, that's even more admirable of this group of developers not wanting to shove some junk out there just to make a few bucks. I sincerely think that will come when they are ready and will be supported by the Tlopo community.

But that brings me back to the point of why call a gift from the devs to beta testers of a timed special event when they probably don't even need to put that kind of work into the project if this is only being public for beta testing.
Complaints as to how things are harder, or players are being punished or inconvenienced in my opinion are almost insults to the developing team considering we were invited to join as early beta testing players.

I harp about beta because I think many people are forgetting why they are here or never were going to put too much effort in helping the development of Tlopo.

We clearly need a non beta tester forum section for tlopo gamers in my opinion, like the other threads for outside games. Where people can discuss openly about their looting and escapades without worrying about beta conflicts.
It obviously won't be on my thread list. Which should make the thread a big success with that crowd.

Last edited:
Hallowed Woods, and the other short term events to me, are put in by the devs to appease hard core gamers during beta. I come to that conclusion by reading or trying to read ALL forum sections. There should be an official section of 'How to play and beat tlopo' for anyone who plays this game obviously in a 'have to beat or conquer' their video games methodology.

There seems to be palatable split between players here, one side of assorted visible beta testers and one side with hard core gamers who play to win and beat or conquer a video game for self satisfaction. We all love video games, or else we wouldn't really be here. There are similar experiences and sharing between sides surely as well, with guilds and friends and such, It's not black and white by any means.

But everyone has different reasons for being here but there's still a division amongst groups. Admitted or not.

Paradoxically, all video games fundamentally were/are created to be sold and make their creators, publishers and marketers money. Simple, basic and accepted fact. However, here sits tlopo, doing it for the love of the game? I've already said I'd pay for a sub or something if tlopo went full, but I think tlopo makes some money from facebook, or other venues, maybe even this forum and why shouldn't they. I think that's great. No one works for free, or should. Tlopo shouldn't be self punished group of people just because they love the game. Maybe they don't feel confident that the game is worthy of paying for yet. In which case, that's even more admirable of this group of developers not wanting to shove some junk out there just to make a few bucks. I sincerely think that will come when they are ready and will be supported by the Tlopo community.

But that brings me back to the point of why call a gift from the devs to beta testers of a timed special event when they probably don't even need to put that kind of work into the project if this is only being public for beta testing.
Complaints as to how things are harder, or players are being punished or inconvenienced in my opinion are almost insults to the developing team considering we were invited to join as early beta testing players.

I harp about beta because I think many people are forgetting why they are here or never were going to put too much effort in helping the development of Tlopo.

We clearly need a non beta tester forum section for tlopo gamers in my opinion, like the other threads for outside games. Where people can discuss openly about their looting and escapades without worrying about beta conflicts.
It obviously won't be on my thread list. Which should make the thread a big success with that crowd.
Nice read, but I'd like to reiterate the TLOPO team does not make ANY money from FB, the forums (how does that even work anyway?), or any other source. All project costs are 100% funded by team members.

"About the Project
The Legend of Pirates Online is a fan-made recreation of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online. Our project is founded on a promise to our community that we will never charge for full access to anything TLOPO provides."

-- tlopo.com

edit: also I would say that expressing frustration, especially frustration with a sense of appreciation like Beggar showed, is quality beta testing feedback. Knowing how players will feel while putting in time playing the game is an important aspect.

I think beggar brought up a good solution to this problem, along with Kevin 3rd option. Hopefully something is done to fix this issue.
Bart Gunshot also brought up a good point. Why was there new loot able weapons put in 1) a limited time area, 2) made better then the ones that are loot able year round 3) Why not work on end game content, or something for others to do besides only looting ( I love looting tho) 4) Where is this supposed other legendary no one has found yet, even with looters that loot extensively? Was there an oops and it not be in game? 5) How is someone able to get a cursed legendary in hollow woods? That is supposed to be ravens cove and menta only loot. (Someone got Thunder-spine from the Watcher.)

Be awesome to have some type of feedback from the devs. You work hours to provide us with a game, yet very rarely (or never) do I see any of these concerns from community players address in players threads by development. It can be kinda of annoying and off-putting, cause it can be seen as these people are not really interested in what the "community" has to say, or can not be bother. I am sure that is not the reason, but just saying it LOOKS like it. Community and player count will continue to dwindling if these issues continue. Many ppl left already because of lack to do anything in game besides looting. =/

Also where is the more inventory pages to even store these new weapons? Some of us are collectors, or would like to be. Maybe just add those and new loot able clothing (females included!) instead of more legendaries rn? Just an idea. I see new clothing less likely to bring up issues like the legendary weapons have. c:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think beggar brought up a good solution to this problem, along with Kevin 3rd option. Hopefully something is done to fix this issue.
Bart Gunshot also brought up a good point. Why was there new loot able weapons put in 1) a limited time area, 2) made better then the ones that are loot able year round 3) Why not work on end game content, or something for others to do besides only looting ( I love looting tho) 4) Where is this supposed other legendary no one has found yet, even with looters that loot extensively? Was there an oops and it not be in game? 5) How is someone able to get a cursed legendary in hollow woods? That is supposed to be ravens cove and menta only loot. (Someone got Thunder-spine from the Watcher.)

Be awesome to have some type of feedback from the devs. You work hours to provide us with a game, yet very rarely (or never) do I see any of these concerns from community players address in players threads by development. It can be kinda of annoying and off-putting, cause it can be seen as these people are not really interested in what the "community" has to say, or can not be bother. I am sure that is not the reason, but just saying it LOOKS like it. Community and player count will continue to dwindling if these issues continue. Many ppl left already because of lack to do anything in game besides looting. =/

Also where is the more inventory pages to even store these new weapons? Some of us are collectors, or would like to be. Maybe just add those and new loot able clothing (females included!) instead of more legendaries rn? Just an idea. I see new clothing less likely to bring up issues like the legendary weapons have. c:
The watcher and dry rot needed to drop something of value because there wasn't really a point looting at them.

Why dont u noobs just use the Warmonk method

ive used his method. farmed for hours on end not taking anything from the chests or loot bags. got silver freeze from dry rot. this after farming the same bosses for days and not getting anything. this on my original pirate which i made over a year ago. my other 2 pirates have patron . 1 also has silver freeze. all 3 have mastered at level 50. im not saying his method doesnt work ,it just hasnt worked for me.

ive used his method. farmed for hours on end not taking anything from the chests or loot bags. got silver freeze from dry rot. this after farming the same bosses for days and not getting anything. this on my original pirate which i made over a year ago. my other 2 pirates have patron . 1 also has silver freeze. all 3 have mastered at level 50. im not saying his method doesnt work ,it just hasnt worked for me.
Because ur not an epic no life tlopo gamer that loots for 15 hours straight :weary:

Back