The Jail Key Dog

Captain John Slate

Wanted Pirate
Shamus The Brute had this idea in a different thread so I came up with some ideas for how it could work.
latest

The dog would be rescued from his lonely life on Outcast Isle and would roam around jail cells. He could then be bribed to give the key to unlock your cell.
But what would you bribe him with? Bones of course!
Currently bones are only for the Hollowed Woods event. However small bones could be left year round and be used to coax our furry friend into releasing you. They would only spawn in loot pouches, and not chests of any sort.
When you first start out the bone bribe wouldn't be very high but the more reputation and notoriety you get the higher the bribe.
Now I don't necessarily want to remove the kicking the door down as a feature so maybe he would only roam around the jails of the most prominent (and civilized) islands such as Padres and Port Royal.
And I do realize this could make it difficult for low level pirates who don't have any bones stocked up yet but I'm still putting the idea out there.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?

@Captain John Slate - The brainstorming behind the idea really comes from you ;) but I feel it’s an idea that seriously needs to be looked at if all other ideas are given some attention as well, on this forums. As such, what I would like to do myself is to post the following (supporting) points below for everyone to read and to consider to which then I would like to tag a few prominent TLOPO devs to gain their own opinion on the matter and hopefully too...their personal insight:
  • Aligning the in-game “dog” with how both the POTC films and the (Disney) theme park ride portrays the pooch brings about greater nostalgia in support of the furthering of the game
  • Nostalgia is something TLOPO could use to it’s advantage
  • Question becomes, can NPC characters or creatures in-game be implemented and then left interacting differently with players from their original way
  • I would like to tag the below prominent TLOPO individuals/devs to this thread for the purpose of further discussion
  • @loblao , @Davy Darkrage , @John Foulroberts , @Johnny Sea Slasher , @deanaug
Thank ye!

Shamus The Brute had this idea in a different thread so I came up with some ideas for how it could work.
latest

The dog would be rescued from his lonely life on Outcast Isle and would roam around jail cells. He could then be bribed to give the key to unlock your cell.
But what would you bribe him with? Bones of course!
Currently bones are only for the Hollowed Woods event. However small bones could be left year round and be used to coax our furry friend into releasing you. They would only spawn in loot pouches, and not chests of any sort.
When you first start out the bone bribe wouldn't be very high but the more reputation and notoriety you get the higher the bribe.
Now I don't necessarily want to remove the kicking the door down as a feature so maybe he would only roam around the jails of the most prominent (and civilized) islands such as Padres and Port Royal.
And I do realize this could make it difficult for low level pirates who don't have any bones stocked up yet but I'm still putting the idea out there.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticism?
We can call them Doggie Bags.

And maybe make him random to all jails. You'd unlock him when you free him and he stays as a visitor to your account.

Would just make getting a good abundance of bones collected even harder. Nahh just leave the player groggy after he dies. Thats a punishment enough tbh

Eh I'm iffy on this. I dont want to think everytime I die I owe a debt before I have to be released.

Back in potco the debt was being groggy and having that disadvantage...and that was already annoying enough lol
Yes, however hopefully if something like this was introduced, we would have a choice to partake. I firmly believe now that to have choices with just about anything, perhaps most people would be happy and maybe many would try stuff given they don't have to do it and it isn't permanent.

I'm not a fan of making it required but it sounds fun. Maybe the dog could only appear occasionally and you could have the option to give it a bone or kick the door? If the dog appears and you give him a treat maybe he could reward you with some kind of quest or something like that?

What if you don't have any bone? What if you're a level 1 in a light sloop that just got nuked by an EITC Warlord?
Good question. All I know is, it’s a “dog-eat-dog world” and...I am wearing MILK BONE :xbones: underwear!

Seriously though, that is a work-a-around (challenge) to overcome if my friend’s idea was to ever be accepted. ;)

Back