The Legend of Pirates Online, an ongoing POTCO recreation.

JohnnyDaPirate

Wiki Staff
The Legend of Pirates Online (commonly abbreviated as TLOPO) is an ongoing fan-made recreation of Disney's retired online game, Pirates of the Caribbean Online (POTCO).

We're not going to make any promises. When performing a task as recreating an MMO, there are many potential problems which could be faced. However, like many other members of the community, we're hopeful that a revival of our beloved game is possible and will do our best to deliver.

You can find a preview of our progress in the below video:

The entire project is a work in progress. TLOPO does plan to release as a community server for the game in the future, however there are no plans for release at this time.

The project is in no way affiliated with The Walt Disney Company, partners or entities.

The real purpose of this project is to "revive" the game, using what original files we have, making the game work exactly as it was before the game's closure on September 19th, 2013. All changes from the original (with few exceptions), wether it be adding unreleased content, re-adding content/features which was once apart of the game and later removed, or creating brand new content & features will all be handled after our "full" release as a post-closure community server (after alpha and beta stages).

The project is being created using files from the original MMO which can be found in the game's downloadable launcher.

Why isn't the project open source? There is a similar situation with the Toontown Online community (another former Disney MMO). One project's source code was "leaked" and redistributed amongst certain members of the community to create multiple post-closure servers, dividing the community in it's already uncertain state. We would hate to see this happen amongst the PotCO community as well, as it's state is already deteriorating.

Social media pages:
Twitter: twitter.com/LegendofPirates
FaceBook: facebook.com/TheLegendofPiratesOnline
YouTube: youtube.com/TheLegendofPiratesOnline
Google+: google.com/+TheLegendofPiratesOnline
Tumblr: thelegendofpiratesonline.tumblr.com
Instagram: instagram.com/LegendofPirates
Twitch: twitch.tv/TheLegendofPiratesOnline

Looking to join the team? Apply to be a developer at http://goo.gl/forms/jm5299lqLd

With the best of intentions,
- @JohnnyDaPirate
The Legend of Pirates Online Project Manager

game_update_expansion_by_irenekarotsi-damkvha.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think LOPO would be a better acronym (Pronounced Low Poe). Actually there was already a "Pirates of Legend" project. That was the project that turned into another familiar project, so there might be some confusion if you call it that. But I honestly don't care what its called, so long as I can sail the high seas again!

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks amazing! That's what I'm hoping for, an actual POTCO emulator, not a whole new pirate game that looks nothing like potco.
This is a general question I pose here (as I am hoping to understand the answer for my own self) but with a POTCO emulator developed to copy POTCO exactly, won't this also revert any emulator to the following:
  • the emulator will possess the same "flaws" as POTCO did (i.e., lag and in-game modification loopholes)
  • risk of succumbing to possible copyright (any need towards extra precaution calls for implementation of some 'change' to occur between said emulator and original game which was offered)

This is a general question I pose here (as I am hoping to understand the answer for my own self) but with a POTCO emulator developed to copy POTCO exactly, won't this also revert any emulator to the following:
  • the emulator will possess the same "flaws" as POTCO did (i.e., lag and in-game modification loopholes)
  • risk of succumbing to possible copyright (any need towards extra precaution calls for implementation of some 'change' to occur between said emulator and original game which was offered)
TTR pretty much did the same thing that these projects are doing, but Disney doesnt care about them. And I honestly think the reason is that all the Disney characters were pulled out.

TTR pretty much did the same thing that these projects are doing, but Disney doesnt care about them. And I honestly think the reason is that all the Disney characters were pulled out.
TTR did so for a legitimate reason (as copyright infringement cannot be pursued so aggressively if things are changed or altered from a developmental standpoint). It's just the way the law reads, as I would rather not try to debate no more publicly on whether Disney will or will not take action (not that you're trying to do so; just saying). :)

Thanks for the feedback and support, everyone!

The only problem I have is I don't like the TLOPO acronym. Seems awkward lol
I agree Redhorn, maybe change the abreviation to LPO, something more catchy
TLOPO or LPO still seems too far from the original POTCO abbreviation, I would try and come up with some name like another remake/POI that still have a similar style to POTCO.
I had the same thought, I like POL if that works for ya'll. :thanks:
I think LOPO would be a better acronym (Pronounced Low Poe). Actually there was already a "Pirates of Legend" project. That was the project that turned into another remake, so there might be some confusion if you call it that. But I honestly don't care what its called, so long as I can sail the high seas again!
I'm not crazy about our abbreviation either. However, I never thought the community would give it so much attention! Perhaps in the future we'll have a community vote to change the abbreviation.

We'll definitely do our best to correct game flaws and bugs. The other option would be to take a course similar to POI which is recoding the game in Java, or create a brand new game which is similar such as BFO or POTGS. However, we want the closest thing to the original as possible, and we don't believe any other course will deliver the same POTCO "feel" we all know and love. As for your second point, any project which takes up this challenge faces potential problems. We will definitely take precautions to avoid any legal action being taken against us.

I have to agree, the more the game replicates the total experience of POTCO that was the more I will play that game. Now, once that goal is achieved, I suppose many, like myself, would not mind seeing some additions or improvements that Disney would or should have made had they been more involved with the game than they obviously were.

Back