Discussion The next step...

"No one that actually takes looting serious is going to set there and loot for someone then trade that some one.”

I was kind enough to fix it for you @squintz I just realized how terrible that sounded. I’m so sorry.
Nice. However, you're meaning is clear regardless how you rewrite it.

This gave me a chance to tally up 'feelings' of forum members about trading.
Of the 38 total trading type original threads so far, I took the numbers from the ones that bothered to make polls. Interestingly, many original trading threads which were clearly against trading wouldn't include a poll. Of the few that seemed to designed to conform the poll to show trading in a negative light actually failed. People still voted for trading. Opposition to trading barely broke 50% against trading in 3 out of 7 known published polls. Historically in over ten years of talking about trading, opposition has been in the vast minority. I don't see the massive support against trading in these published numbers. Matter of fact, I don't see the numbers of members claiming damages sufficient enough to support stopping trading from being added.

FOR TRADING ------------------ AGAINST TRADING
56 -------------------------------- 41
200 -------------------------------- 114
this poll was designed to try to show trading as a negative and it didn't work. People still voted in favor of trading.
17 ------------------------------- 3
19 ------------------------------ 6
168 ------------------------------- 78
Even back in potco days:

42 ------------------------------- 3
27 ------------------------------ 5

And then I found this back in the day:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/trading-coming-soon.7030/

If trading is never going to happen or even thought about by disney or tlopo developers, what exactly is this?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4u2VcQ0v_k&feature=youtu.be

Here's a thread from almost 10 years ago with a few very familiar names.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/piratey-trading.311/
Ngl, I was going to bring the polls up as I was searching back on those threads before they were posted here. Thank you for doing it before me though, you are way better at explaining than I am xD.

Looting is easily the biggest part of The Legend of Pirates Online. Looking for legendaries is pretty much the only thing you can do once you've maxed your pirate currently endgame-wise. There should be at least 1 tier of item that you actually should need to work hard to get like the rest of everybody else. Legendaries should not be tradable.
Yes, I'm fairly sure everyone gets the elootists mantra. Trading anything in game, imo, won't kill the game, ruin someones looting collection or cause an abundance of an item regardless that it is meaningless having an item in game play in the first place in terms of actually playing the game for quests and atmosphere. If anything, trading may allow anyone to play the game in their terms and timelines. And maybe stay with the game longer because they can accomplish things in their time frames.

GL

Yes, I'm fairly sure everyone gets the elootists mantra. Trading anything in game, imo, won't kill the game, ruin someones looting collection or cause an abundance of an item regardless that it is meaningless having an item in game play in the first place in terms of actually playing the game for quests and atmosphere. If anything, trading may allow anyone to play the game in their terms and timelines. And maybe stay with the game longer because they can accomplish things in their time frames.

GL
Its not really an accomplishment if they trade for it. You want to entirely eliminate the looting aspect from loot

Nice. However, you're meaning is clear regardless how you rewrite it.
That made absolutely no since.
How it was intended to be, clear. So why are you still replying to it if you understand what it’s trying to say. I’m not trying to to rewrite it, I added a few words on the end since it didn’t say trading in it.

Ngl, I was going to bring the polls up as I was searching back on those threads before they were posted here. Thank you for doing it before me though, you are way better at explaining than I am xD.
Thanks, but your input is valuable no matter what. Everyone's is. I'm not better than you are.

You would like to try trading and so would I. Apparently a majority would also. I'm not here to create drama. 60% is still a majority.
But if some member wants to debate trading, even at a personal level, I'm not going to shy away from that.

GL

Its not really an accomplishment if they trade for it. You want to entirely eliminate the looting aspect from loot
It's not making it less accomplishing for people who work for it. Additionally, anyone taking part in trading isn't doing it to feel accomplished. They're doing it for the sake of having certain items.

Keep in mind how the looting economy also works in this game. You aren't introducing new weapons into currently obtained loot every time you trade. The same amount of items looted beforehand are still circulating.

**EDIT** No one is forcing you to loot. That's your personal decision. Same thing applies here, to trading. No one is going to force you to trade. It's not a required system in this game. People who want to trade, can trade. I for one, am not. But it isn't harming my experience when it comes to looting. I think everyone should give something a chance, especially if the majority wills it so.

upload_2019-1-2_13-50-33.jpeg

This thread

We are at an indifference of subject point because you keep pressing a personal accomplishment aspect as being the only way to play this game.
I don't agree with this assessment. And I'm not trying to end looting. I see trading as another feature set to strengthen the tlopo universe. We actually don't know what direction trading would take the game. We won't know until we try, correct?

Tlopo does not have any standards for game accomplishment. You and others seem to be implying 'bragging rights' as a part of game rules or something. As if inventory and looting was the basis for the creation of potco and now tlopo. Sorry, I don't see it that way.

You have kept this very civil and I appreciate this.

As a person who hates change, especially to a game that has been remade. I understand that we all want to soak up that nostalgic feeling, but I think its time we should implement a controversial feature. Trading. Hear me out before you go against me in the replies. I personally have no feelings towards trading, if you want to show you got something legit post a screenshot of getting it through looting. Otherwise, let the other people that want to trade, trade.

I don't know about you guys but I have my moments with this game, its common within grindy games. I get bored because grinding for Dark Black Cottons Trousers is boring and then I return a few days and leave. I feel like implementing trading could bring Abassa to where it was with everyone flooding it. It creates Tortuga as a trading center in Abassa. We need something new other than just adding new weapons, new shops, and I think trading will solve that issue. It also doesn't just have to be trading within weapons and clothing, it can be material as well.

All Im saying it will bring more to the table in every aspect. You got guilds that might want to charge an entry fee. You got people that got repeats where as other people really want that repeated item. You got people discussing that they trade this item for that item. Whatcha say?

this topic has already been addressed as the awnser for trading ever being added I believe has been confirmed as a big fat we are not doing it do the to fact you could scam people out of there hard earned legendarys or mat or coins
As of my current knowledge I never saw the developers confirm that trading would not be added. If that is true then could you please direct me towards that post?

I personally have played this game for a very long time and admittedly have gotten bored of it many times. I really do think that in order for some to continue to enjoy playing the game there needs to be some new features added. In no way do I mean this disrespect to the developers, they have been amazing and continue to add awesome features to the game which I really appreciate, but I really feel like the game needs a brand new feature. We have gotten many new things; However most of those features were not brand new features. Not everyone is going to want something like this because as you said this is a remade game. We should respect that fact, but at the same time if this game is going to gain/keep many other players, some brand new things should be added.

I used to hate the idea of trading, and if you go look through some of my posts you can see how much I defended it being a terrible feature. I changed my mind though, and I didn't change it because of many of the points people were making such as you don't have to do it if you don't want to etc etc.

If there was a random game out there, and someone told you it had weapons, transportation, fighting etc, and trading: Would you say, "Oh well I'm not playing that game!" "Trading is horrible!" Possibly, but I doubt it. TLOPO is still just a game. Trading sounds like a fun feature that would keep many people interested in the game.

In conclusion though you must remember that trading will not solve all problems. Some will grow bored of it, and while it's an awesome feature that can be used for a long time, people would still want more. Unfortunately though it's not an extremely complicated idea, the controversy behind it continues. Perhaps another feature like dungeons or the like would be better. Finally though, the fact some are still trying to get trading shows that there are people who still really want to see it in the game.

Last edited:
So I wonder how many members are posting with their alternate accounts for and against?
Probably a few are. Who knows....
i only have one account so but i do believe that trading doesnt make the game better at all i like the dungean idea
Well your so against it your stating devs said NO to it whenever no one else remembers or even saw them say no to said topic...

As Ive seen stated we wont know unless we try it.. Do I agree with trading yes. Have I seen a view of it that I think will be good not really. In the end this all goes back to the people whom have to implement it in TLOPO all we can do is give our POV on the subject and hope for or against it. Only time will tell..

Last edited:
Probably a few are. Who knows....

Well your so against it your stating mods said NO to it whenever no one else remembers or even saw them say no to said topic...

As Ive seen stated we wont know unless we try it.. Do I agree with trading yes. Have I seen a view of it that I think will be good not really. In the end this all goes back to the people whom have to implement it in TLOPO all we can do is give our POV on the subject and hope for or against it. Only time will tell..
It was devs, not mods, but afaik nothing but hearsay either way. :)

Agreed on possibly giving trading a test spin one day, how do we know it's such a horrible thing without seeing it in action?

I'm the type of person to always try something once.

If it doesn't work or is not liked then surely it can be taken off and put down to experience? While in Beta we have a chance to try new things and see if it works, right?

I have one thing I would like to express on this however. And that is, if trading were to be tested. That a trading outpost was made so you can go there to sell or buy items.

I have played a few games where most of the time I have been interrupted constantly by " (name) Would like to trade with you". Yes this could probably be fixed by doing the same as with guild invites (disabling them) but then I may pass a pirate I do want to trade with and i wont get the trade invite.

I'm the type of person to always try something once.

If it doesn't work or is not liked then surely it can be taken off and put down to experience? While in Beta we have a chance to try new things and see if it works, right?

I have one thing I would like to express on this however. And that is, if trading were to be tested. That a trading outpost was made so you can go there to sell or buy items.

I have played a few games where most of the time I have been interrupted constantly by " (name) Would like to trade with you". Yes this could probably be fixed by doing the same as with guild invites (disabling them) but then I may pass a pirate I do want to trade with and i wont get the trade invite.
Yes, it could be problematic but if you turn off trade invites, you would only turn it on when you want to trade. Since random invites to me aren't wanted, I just leave things like that off until I want to spend some time with it. As long as random invites are a choice you can turn off and on, I don't see it as much of a problem. For sure not a deal breaker in my mind.
But you are absolutely right, being totally against something before it's not even tried isn't productive. And hits me as a very personal selfish way to influence other people for self interests.

The problem, or downside, I see with TLOPO implementing something to where it is implemented and then (for one reason or another) it is later retracted (if it does not work/it caused an increase in issues) is I fear a considerable amount of angst and backlash will result. I hate to jump to conclusions but, that could very well happen. Pirates have proven to be incredibly finicky and this is especially true for a passionate issue such as trading. (Some anti-TLOPO sentiment could result say if trading was pulled for a legitimate reason but yet another remake vowed to keep it intact).

I realize this is Beta and the ideal time for such an added feature would be now (as opposed to some other time). But, both TLOPO devs and the community itself better be on the same page as to how everyone should adjust and to conduct themselves if trading got implemented and then later pulled.

*Unnecessary drama would not benefit anyone!

Back