Tip  The Ultimate Sailing Guide

Captian Fear

Pirate Master
Hi there maes! Tis an honor to give you one of the most brilliant sailing guide in the world! Yet what makes it so great? You of course! I want younto post all your tips and tricks on sailing down and sinking an enemy vessel.
To keep order I want people who are giving methods (methods being a way to sink a ship) to label them in bold red. And people who are giving tips (reminders, hints. tricks, etc.) to label it in bold blue. The label should be in the top left-hand side of your post. I really want this to look professional so it could be our own Pirate Codex.
This is your chance to be creative! Desgin and name your own manuvere and post it below. If you can add screenshots, it would be appreciated but not mandatory.
So to begin:
METHOD 1:
THE SITTING DUCK

When meeting an enemy vessel in combat, knowing your postion is key. By positioning your broadside to the bow of the approaching ship, you should fire all cannons. Still consider the range of your cannons when doing this. Don't be to close or to far away.
The enemy ship won't be able to fire back making it an easy target. Some cruel pirates have been known just to take the masts of and leave the ship there to perish under the hot sun. This is great for any larger vessel for even light sloops have used this method to take down Ironwalls. Best spots for this are around the shores of Padres del Fuego.

TIP 1:
ICEBERG SHOOTING

When you're disregarding Method #1 and sailing around an enemy ship, you'll notice that sometimes, a bit of the underside of a ship will pop above water. Usually, this is a darker color than the planks around it (Navy is a deep maroon, EITC is dark black). Take careful aim and let your strongest ammunition hit this spot, and it will do a good deal more damage than a regular bulkhead shot. This is done easiest when an enemy ship is banking away from you, as the planks on that side will be out of the water.

Bombs away!

William Sunshot said:
When you're disregarding Method #1 and sailing around an enemy ship, you'll notice that sometimes, a bit of the underside of a ship will pop above water. Usually, this is a darker color than the planks around it (Navy is a deep maroon, EITC is dark black). Take careful aim and let your strongest ammunition hit this spot, and it will do a good deal more damage than a regular bulkhead shot. This is done easiest when an enemy ship is banking away from you, as the planks on that side will be out of the water.

Now that I did not know! Does this work to avoid the hull on Svs as well?

TIP 2:
FULL SAIL USE

When using the sailing skill, Full Sail, remember to judge the distance away from an enemy ship. If the ship is far off and you are worried about other pirates stealing your prize, it's time to break out all sails. If you are in good sights of her, don't speed up on the account that you will be blown away. Always remeber to keep the Full Sail option when risking your ship on a tougher enemy.
Remember;
"Those who run away from a fight, live to run away again." -Jack Sparrow

METHOD 1:
THE SITTING DUCK

Easily my favorite technique for leveling cannon or plundering. I can go for days like this and not take any damage if I judge the distance correctly.

I'd add that you can engage from really far out if you have a person on the cannon (or all of them) hit the ship with Thunderbolt. It's got the longest range of any ammo, so you can easily hit twice the range of a broadside if you're good at aiming at a moving target. Keep up the pressure on the enemy ship and you can usually sink them before they even get into broadside range.

METHOD 2:
TACKING

When you are sailing alone, you do not have any gunners to use thunderbolt on the sails of the enemy's vessel. So all you can rely on in order to sink the ship are your own sailing skills. For this method, you should measure the range where your broadsides can actually hit the hull of the ship, and use your turning skills to your advantage. Positioning is also key for this method. You will want to park your ship in front of the enemy ship, with its front facing your ship's side (so you can use your broadsides). Then, you will fire your broadsides until right before the ship gets close enough to fire at you, when they get into attacking range, you will sail a little away from it, get into postion again, and fire until you sink the ship. Make sure to make use of the "Open Fire!" and "Come About" skills to your advantage.

I hope this helps, fair winds!
screenshot_2011-04-24_17-51-59.jpg

TIP 3: Dodging
When fighting a higher level ship that fires large quantities of powerful ammo such as Fury, your ship can really take a beating! But, there is a way you can stop that. When the ship fires the broadside, abruptly stop and go backwards. Or, if you are stopped currently, drop the sails and get out of there! Most likely the shots will go behind your stern or in front of your bow, and your ship won't be damaged. It takes a second for the computer to recognize where your ship is and where to aim. You can use this to your advantage because sometimes you can be going forward and the ship will fire ahead of you. You can quickly stop and let the shots go in front of you, while continuing to fight.

Reactions: Bad
TIP 3: Dodging
When fighting a higher level ship that fires large quantities of powerful ammo such as Fury, your ship can really take a beating! But, there is a way you can stop that. When the ship fires the broadside, abruptly stop and go backwards. Or, if you are stopped currently, drop the sails and get out of there! Most likely the shots will go behind your stern or in front of your bow, and your ship won't be damaged. It takes a second for the computer to recognize where your ship is and where to aim. You can use this to your advantage because sometimes you can be going forward and the ship will fire ahead of you. You can quickly stop and let the shots go in front of you, while continuing to fight.

No such thing as Dodging in SvS lol

Actually Basil, if you can stop and start quick enough, you can evade broadsides in PvP... and some serpentine weaving can minimize incoming deck gun fire.

My tip for svs- (if ur against glitching DONT read this) :lol1:
Did you know theres a glitch to get into those rocks? well there is and i will teach you how first you go in between the to rocks and do raming speed (or full sail) if that doesnt work keep going around the rock untill u can get in This does work it works easily for me so i do that when i need to reapir (cannon balls cant go through the rock)
to get out just sail forward or backwards.
EDIT (Apr 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM):
Did you know theres a glitch to get into those rocks? well there is and i will teach you how first you go in between the to rocks and do raming speed (or full sail) if that doesnt work keep going around the rock untill u can get in This does work it works easily for me so i do that when i need to reapir (cannon balls cant go through the rock)

THIS IS NOT CHEATING YOU CAT GET BANNED FOR DOING A GLITCH BECASUE POCTO PUT IT INTO THE GAME! that was for all those ppl who are gonna start reporting me... i mean if there was no glitches look how long it would take to get to dark fart :lol1:

TIP 3: Be Aware Of Your Surroundings
When taking a ship by yourself or by crew, make sure to always check your surroundings, because you'll never know when a ship will slip pass you notice. If your going on a flagship, make sure that no other ship is around, because when you come back ( if you come back) that Enemy ship will be ready to attack you. If you find yourself surrounded by high lvl ships, because you didn't pay attention to your surroundings, then good luck! Because chances are they already got a lock on you, and If your ship is already damaged, and/or your the only one on it, Chances of escape are slim.

TIP 3: Be Aware Of Your Surroundings
When taking a ship by yourself or by crew, make sure to always check your surroundings, because you'll never know when a ship will slip pass you notice. If your going on a flagship, make sure that no other ship is around, because when you come back ( if you come back) that Enemy ship will be ready to attack you. If you find yourself surrounded by high lvl ships, because you didn't pay attention to your surroundings, then good luck! Because chances are they already got a lock on you, and If your ship is already damaged, and/or your the only one on it, Chances of escape are slim.

Ramming speed... rofl

Hi there maes! Tis an honor to give you one of the most brilliant sailing guide in the world! Yet what makes it so great? You of course! I want younto post all your tips and tricks on sailing down and sinking an enemy vessel.
To keep order I want people who are giving methods (methods being a way to sink a ship) to label them in bold red. And people who are giving tips (reminders, hints. tricks, etc.) to label it in bold blue. The label should be in the top left-hand side of your post. I really want this to look professional so it could be our own Pirate Codex.
This is your chance to be creative! Desgin and name your own manuvere and post it below. If you can add screenshots, it would be appreciated but not mandatory.
So to begin:
METHOD 1:
THE SITTING DUCK

When meeting an enemy vessel in combat, knowing your postion is key. By positioning your broadside to the bow of the approaching ship, you should fire all cannons. Still consider the range of your cannons when doing this. Don't be to close or to far away.
The enemy ship won't be able to fire back making it an easy target. Some cruel pirates have been known just to take the masts of and leave the ship there to perish under the hot sun. This is great for any larger vessel for even light sloops have used this method to take down Ironwalls. Best spots for this are around the shores of Padres del Fuego.
Been using that method for a long time, along with others. ; ) Love to take out the sails with thunderbolt and or fury before it can get off a shot. (Like a poor wingless insect). Then finish it with round shot for the most rep. You can do it by your onesie or with a crew. I also make it a point to sail for all royal chests as it will get the crew at least a grand a piece and you, as captain, more!:cannon:
EDIT (Apr 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM):
^ Maybe I should call that "taking the wings off ... for royals." lol:arrrrr:

Bart Gunshot said:

Yeah, it works, but you can shoot through rocks. I shoot to get those lights in the rocks all the time :p

Back