This...just ticks me off ('HACKERS' [again] versus POTC 5)!

Lol release it in bits at a time? These are possibly the dumbest hackers of all time. Nobody is gonna watch 15 minute segments of a 2.5 hora movie then wait weeks for the next 15 minutes.

Yea, I just posted about that...should've looked at this one first. Didn't realize someone had already started a discussion on this. So....what does everyone think about this? I've already started my marathon of the first group of movies, and have been eagerly awaiting this new movie since I went to the beach and bought a beach towel with the movie name on it. So excited!!! However, from what I read, the hackers are planning on releasing not just 15 minutes here and there, but rather ever lengthening bits of the movie as demands are not met. I guess we'll see what happens.

Disney’s upcoming Johnny Depp film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been pilfered by ransom hackers seeking payment. This is 5 hours old no joke

Although Disney CEO Bob Iger did not reveal which movie the ransom hackers claim to have, he did reveal to ABC employees during a town hall meeting in New York Monday that the incident had occurred. The hackers said they would release bits of the film — in increments — if their demands weren’t met. Deadline learned that it was, indeed, Jerry Bruckheimer’s fifth in the Pirates franchise which is scheduled for release on May 26th

Lol release it in bits at a time? These are possibly the dumbest hackers of all time. Nobody is gonna watch 15 minute segments of a 2.5 hora movie then wait weeks for the next 15 minutes.
A CNET article I had read claims that the person(s) responsible are threatening to leak 5 minutes of film in 20 minute increments if the ransomware attack is not taken seriously. However, it's important to note that info. is still pouring in and _today we should all have a better idea of what has been done/what "will" be done as a result.

I'm keeping my eye on this (because it's clear that Disney will 'not' pay-up along with the fact that the FBI has become involved).

Correct me if I'm wrong, however isn't there a chance that (in this case) it is all a publicity stunt?
I've thought about that too. But, I do believe @Kat Five Knives is right. Besides, Disney has promoted POTC 5 readily and more so within CHINA than with any other POTC film. Given the fact that details are emerging that North Korea could possibly be behind the recent "WannaCry" ransomware attacks, I want to reiterate that North Korean hackers (I do believe) were behind the major Sony Pictures attack in the past and also...that China is placing pressure on North Korea currently on account of things. As such, some time needs to pass to understand fully the whole implication of this attack targeted at Disney.

Disney is a global, mass-media company. I doubt that they would go to such an extent for extra publicity given their world-wide reach already into the average consumer's daily entertainment and digital life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back