Thoughts about Guilds

Chris Hookfish

Honorable Pirate
Forgive me but I'm bored while I wait for my game machine to finish running scandisk but I noticed some things about Guild recruiting.

I come from first person shooter games like COD WaW. COD4. ect. When playing these games if you were interested in a particular clan you visited said clan's server often and interacted with the group and played honorably.... blah blah and so on. Eventually an Admin might approach you and invite you to join. Might take a month or more but in other words they got to know you and you them.

Every time I play Pirates seems like I get invited by every few players that walk by. Sometimes it is so bad I just hit the ignore till I logout button.

I understand the fact that Guilds do not have their own server for a player to visit but isn't there a better way to get to know the different Guilds without jumping in headfirst? I did just that the other day, someone invited and I thought oh why not. Five minutes later the officer that recruited me left that Guild leaving me with a poor impression of the whole deal. I promptly left.

Sorry so long winded but as I said I'm bored :eek:
Any thoughts?

Wow Chris...that's a good question and I wish there was a good answer...Some of the guilds do post about their guilds, and post rules and such here on this site. And then there are some that have their own sites either free or paid for. It maybe a way for you to check and see if there is a guild that might fit your taste. Check out the Guild Discussion section here on our site. But, as far as really getting to know if a guild will work out for you....ya just have to join one....and that right one will come!

Ya whenever I make a new pirate I always hated when random people would come up and send a guild invite. If you don't want that to happen make your own guild until you find one that you wanna join.

My officers are not allowed to just randomly invite. If they do so they are demoted. We try to talk to our members and figure out if they can even talk before we simply guild them. We usually ask them what they like in a guild and if they like what we offer then we ask about an invitation.

My first hour or so in game I landed on Abassa Port Royal. One of those guild invite spammers was there and kept sending me invites. Every time I'd decline he'd send another invite. Finally out of agravation I accepted. I was in that guild I think three weeks. They had about 60 members but, during those three weeks I never spoke to or met another member of that guild, never saw the pirate who guilded me as he was hiding in a crowd spamming out guild invites. They were either all illiterate or very young kids who never said anything in chat. While doing my first grenade quest a pirate from another guild was helping me and he brought some of his guildmates along to help. Compared to the guild I was in I thought these guys were great and out of gratitude asked to join their guild. They had some good people but, their GM was very immature and annoying. One of those types who demand that you immediately drop whatever you're doing and TP to him, even if you have a ship load of loot and are a ways from port, only to find that he's showing off a new weapon from a quest or goofing off in a glitch. He was also one of the type who randomly TP to you and disrupt whatever you happened to be working on. About a week after joining I had to go out of town for the weekend and when I returned I discovered that the GM had deleted the guild and joined another. Another thing I noticed is that some people tend to recruit based only on the level of pirates for example level 30 and above only. As soon as my first pirate reached level 30 I had several people approach me with guild invites, some of them even offered to promote me to officer. The point I'm trying to make is that these people didn't know my pirate or anything about him. For all they knew they could have been inviting and promoting one of those guild crashers into their guild. Its also important to get to know pirates before inviting them into your guild. Level alone is not a good system in choosing members.

My best advice regarding choosing a guild is to spend some time with members of that guild get to know them. Are they people you can get along with. Are they an active guild? Are their guild rules something you can live with? Guild size doesn't matter its the quality of the people within the guild that counts.

Ya whenever I make a new pirate I always hated when random people would come up and send a guild invite. If you don't want that to happen make your own guild until you find one that you wanna join.
Well, they have added the option to ignore guild invites while you are logged on.

Ya but since you have to do that every single time you log on it can get annoying and if they can't send an invite theyll usually just send a whisper

i usually dont like the guilds that just send you invited i like the guilds that ask you if you wanna join in whisper then give you rules those guilds become the best quality ones. even if they have less members

Back