• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 66 94.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flight1700

Honorable Pirate
Well, as we near what the community as a whole suspects is the end of TLOPO "extended maintenance", perhaps it's a good idea to reflect on it.

What was handled well?
What wasn't?
Do we expect changes to the way major updates like this are handled in the future?

Regardless of the answers to the questions above, it's pretty undeniable that the community slowly crawled to a state of "unrest". A recent thread that was locked today illustrates this best I think; insults were hurled from Moderators, Developers, and players. A total civil breakdown, personal attacks on all sides.

What led to this? How can it be avoided in the future?
I propose locking the forums during times of major updates (surely there will be more). An open forum without positive experiences made in a currently active game is not a forum, it's an opportunity for players to voice their REPEATED "concerns" to the devs. This leads to festering anger on apparently both sides, and could simply be altogether avoided. I know it would have saved me a night of pelting some poor admin with paragraph after paragraph of verbally refined poop.

How do the community, developers, and moderators feel about this? It would save a lot of man-hours on both ends.

IMG_2469.JPG
I suppose it wouldn't be a permanent close, just a temporary halt on conversation and new threads.

Like this one
Lol, it's infallible. Every time, I come here just to check and see if the game's up. And what do I do? Post something ridiculous on the forums. I bet that sounds fairly familiar to some people.

There is no reason to shut down the Forums during updates. People come here for information and for entertainment, shutting it down would do more harm than good.
it's an opportunity for players to voice their REPEATED "concerns" to the devs
Locking the forums during updates wouldnt stop players from reaching out to the team. They would find other methods; such as emailing support, posting comments on the website, making salty YouTube videos, ect.

I get what you're saying but..."very little" good has ever resulted from a lack of communication between people. As such, it wouldn't be so positive for everyone to just hold all of that anticipation/frustration in and...it's important for ANY forums to understand that because where people are gathered together they are going to be people whom disagree and so it's important to embrace differences and matters of opinion rather than not.

- People are flawed. There is no getting around that. Therefore, to couple that with no platform available for people to communicate together (no matter how temporary)...the end result will likely not be as some expect it to be.
- People are social. No matter how shy or socially inhibited you might feel that you are, you are unique and you are a social animal. :madbro:

Why would the forums need to be closed???
Don't answer this, it's a question I'm asking myself

Anyways, this makes entirely no sense because it's a very convienent way for all sides to communicate. Why should we let a few very aggressive and rude users dictate what should happen to the forums?

The majority of this community is good. Don't need the outliers to dictate what happens :)

Well, someone quoted lack of communication. I've heard (and subsequently made) this argument against the devs recently.

Perhaps it WOULD be in the best interest of the community to reflect on the way THIS update's downtime and communication was handled, and perhaps do something different in the future? It doesn't have to be temporarily halting the forums, but... something?

It's fine if the Team was satisfied with how this downtime was handled, but it's worthwhile to investigate a different method if they're not.

Are they?

Well, someone quoted lack of communication. I've heard (and subsequently made) this argument against the devs recently.

Perhaps it WOULD be in the best interest of the community to reflect on the way THIS update's downtime and communication was handled, and perhaps do something different in the future? It doesn't have to be temporarily halting the forums, but... something?

It's fine if the Team was satisfied with how this downtime was handled, but it's worthwhile to investigate a different method if they're not.

This is how things have always been done, and it's seemed to work just fine. Updates were given when possible, people were addressed, and nothing caught on fire. There may have been some tension but this is pretty par for the course with games, I've seen it in every community of most every game I've played.

There's always going to be some upset people when things go down, can't really help that no matter how much you try to fix something - "Can't please everyone." If the vast majority are okay with how things are though, why change it? :p

I suppose I was just curious what the Team saw <- this -> as. I'VE seen it decend into chaos, but I guess that's fine. Entertainment I suppose.

Wow, I think you're over reacting on this. This is a place for people to share their thoughts on the game, good and bad. Just because some people have voiced negative views about the length of the update and the lack of communication from the developers, and others have voiced their disapproval of those views is no reason to silence any of them. I say this is exactly what the forum is for. If someone writes something over the top angry or nonsensical I think we can all recognize that better without censorship thank you.

Reasons to come to these forums:
  • Read and/or participate in conversations about TLOPO and/or POTCO
  • Converse with new and old friends via private messages and/or status posts
  • Communicate with guildies through a guild thread or recruit new members
  • Discuss various topics unrelated to POTCO/TLOPO (Off topic)
  • Discuss other games (Other games)
  • Participate in forum games (Forum Games)
  • Wish someone a happy birthday (Birthday Wishes)
  • Welcome a new member of the forums to our community
  • Ask questions, receive advice, and give advice about all things Tech (Tech Savvy)
  • Discuss Music (Music)
  • Discuss Movies (Movies)
  • Discuss Television (Television) People still watch that?
  • Discuss Artwork (Artwork)
  • Discuss Books (Books)
  • Discuss Sports (Sports)
  • Discuss all things Piratey (Pirate 411)
Of the many things listed here, how many are directly tied to TLOPO? Those who vent their frustrations over a brief closing for a major update are a minority here. Vocal yes, but a minority. I think we can handle a few sour grapes in order to serve the vast majority who use the forums for so many other 'fruitful' things eh?

~Kat

Back