Thread of Controversy

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date
S

Shamus The Brute

For as long as I have been following things, since September of 2013, there has existed a mindset which is partially “right” but also partially “wrong.” This mindset is:
  • a remake developer’s mindset/attitude towards TIME (in relationship to everyone else’s patience)
Overall and generally speaking, the general mindset/attitude is as follows: “We understand the challenge of players being patient. We ask everyone to bear with us as we are volunteers doing this in lieu of spare time and moments we do have within our busy, everyday lives.”

I cannot speak for everyone but I do think this ^ line of reasoning is acceptable, and has been accepted, by most everyone participating towards support shown for POTCO itself to be remade. What I do happen to see - and reasoning given alone to which I do not necessarily agree with - is the attitude or mindset written which implies, “Shut yer cannon fire- ye pirate! Quit conveying yer opinion as if yer sense of entitlement permits yerself said right!” *Granted - there are times this attitude and mindset itself needs to be publicly conveyed. However, in my experience alone here since 2013, those instances have been few and far between in lieu of what has actually been written to this well moderated (TLOPO supported) forums.

So why such disconnect in regards to everyone’s patience? :confused: Sure. I understand that if I had to walk in the shoes for one day of a TLOPO developer I might begin to feel unappreciated as well. The voice, ideas, and opinions of the very playerbase that I am serving would likely get on my nerves as well. But regardless and in hindsight, is this enough of an “excuse” to fall back upon given not one (1) single POTCO remake ever came into existence as a result of gauging the ex-POTCO community’s opinion beforehand (on whether to proceed or not) given the challenge of both TIME and patience required out of everyone - not just developers alone? I don’t believe it is.

So...there are reasons not well understood as to why the TIME_line of a remake is incredibly important! These reasons listed below are of my own and so therefore, these reasons too are open to scrutiny (if you don’t particularly agree with them). They are:
  1. Life, for everyone, is unpredictable. Therefore, TIME granted today is no guarantee of TIME granted for tomorrow (i.e., people go to college, people get married, people have kids, people change careers, people change priorities/interests, unfortunately some people die, etc.)!
  2. A truly patient individual (in so far as complete ‘dedication’ or loyalty to a thing in lieu of TIME) is rare given today’s fast-paced, ever-evolving [technology-driven] world)
  3. TIME creates far greater nostalgia for a thing rather than absolute necessity! Therefore, chances of “new,” unexposed players brought into TLOPO diminishes as TIME itself creeps forward. (Not to say it is impossible for TLOPO to acquire new players. It just becomes more difficult [in lieu of ‘other options’ which increasingly side-track everyone’s interests])
  4. TIME works against stated focus and goals in lieu of the human flaw to progress! None of us are “that strong and in control” to sustain the energy required to focus completely on one goal, forever. In other words, TIME has a way of ourselves compromising our own priorities.
  5. People are naturally finicky and impatient. TIME reinforces that level of impatience
Anyway, as I hope everyone can see there are far more implications involved in regards to TIME and everyone’s patience than just people appearing to honor some level of entitlement. ;) Given TLOPO, like all other remakes, had a way of “pushing the initiative out there” (prior to a finished version)...I don’t necessarily support the mindset completely that the typical (remake) supporter should just sit quietly and become a lasting bot upon the chair we call patience.

Thank ye!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is a disconnect between the TLOPO staff's accomplishments and everyone's patience. It's more like those who are unhappy are the most verbal, giving the appearance of a multitude of complaints. This is pretty common everywhere - I see it at work, at home, and in politics.

As far as moderation on the forums go, we discuss questionable posts, sometimes for days, before we make decisions. When people stop discussing ideas and start finger pointing and calling people out is when we have to draw the line and intervene.

I appreciate your insightful and eloquent post.

KFK

Last edited:
I don't think there is a disconnect between the TLOPO staff's accomplishments and everyone's patience. It's more like those who are unhappy are the most verbal, giving the appearance of a multitude of complaints. This is pretty common everywhere - I see it at work, at home, and in politics.

As far as moderation on the forums go, we discuss questionable posts, sometimes for days, before we make decisions. When people stop discussing ideas and start finger pointing and calling people out is when we have to draw the line and intervene.

I appreciate your insightful and eloquent post.

KFK
And, I appreciate your opinion as well as your post. ;)

Back