Discussion Thunderbolt vs Fury

Assuming 15 skill points, which ammo type would you have 5 points on?

• Round shot

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Chain shot

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Grape shot

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Firebrand

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Thunderbolt

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Explosive

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Fury

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • A mix with remaining skill points

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
Welp, I'm a Captain. So I choose Round Shot, Fury, and Firebrand.

• Round Shot: Even with a fully upgraded ship, my broadsides will still push out round shot around 50% of the time on average.
:cannon:
  • Fury: I love my Skull and Bones Frigate, not to mention this is a must for when you're on a cannon with a Rev Ram.
:cannon:
  • Firebrand: Gotta have that Fortune Hunter ship for mat runs! Which is a firebrand ship, so I don't see how this point can be passed over.

So what's the logic for having 5 points on both thunderbolt and fury, if they're essentially the same round? Does one damage sails more than the other?
Thunderbolt has a greater range I'm pretty sure, and only shoots 1 round at a time where fury shoots 3. The 1 round of thunderbolt does more damage than a single round of fury, but since you get 3 rounds of fury at a time...

Someone else can elaborate, I haven't leveled up my cannons this time around yet so I'm no expert :p

Thunderbolt has a greater range I'm pretty sure, and only shoots 1 round at a time where fury shoots 3. The 1 round of thunderbolt does more damage than a single round of fury, but since you get 3 rounds of fury at a time...

Someone else can elaborate, I haven't leveled up my cannons this time around yet so I'm no expert :p
Hey that's good info, I forgot thunderbolt only shot one round at a time. Thanks

Mastered my cannon, went with round shot, thunderbolt, and fury. Now this is purely my set up for SvS as a cannoneer, I don't know much about ship upgrades as I quit POTCO in 2008. The only reason I have round shot at 5 is for broadsides, cannon defense, and when fury runs out before getting Revenant Ram. Thunderbolt is for hitting ships from long range, whether it be getting extra damage while approaching before being able to hit those fury shots, or attacking a fleeing ship in SvS. I've contemplated exchanging the rank 5 round with rank 5 explosive once I get Rev, but the lower broadside damage isn't worth it, especially when explosive is pretty useless for me anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

So what's the logic for having 5 points on both thunderbolt and fury, if they're essentially the same round? Does one damage sails more than the other?
Fury has a lot more DPS when using cannons and the extra range of Thunderbolt is not super valuable so the only reason to get 5 on Thunderbolt is to make a Storm Chaser ship more effective. This is a very good reason and I would recommend it if you have or are working towards a Storm Chaser otherwise you are better off with something else. Fury is a must for pretty much every pirate.

Back