Do I suck at Total War: Atilla?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I haven't played it, so I can't really help... If it were Rome or Empire Total War, then that's a different story lol

I'll prob just look up tutorials online. It's my first strategy game, may not have been the best choice but whatever. Thank you for being the only one to respond!

I'll prob just look up tutorials online. It's my first strategy game, may not have been the best choice but whatever. Thank you for being the only one to respond!
Age of Empires 3 is a good strategy game to start with, or the Age of Mythology series. You can get a good understanding of how strategy games work, and then transition over to Total War, which has some different mechanics from AOE and AOM. Both AOE III and the AOM series have good tutorials to go along with them.

I personally don't play a lot of Attila due to the bugs and and performance drops I found more rampant in Attila but if it's anything like other Total War games, if you are playing on lower campaign difficulties than your keys will be archers and cav.

Calvary are the bread and butter of any army in Total War games. During a walled city siege battle? not as much so but during an open field battle? they can make or break the battle. The key is cycle charging. Each unit has an extra bonus for charging your enemies (Warhammer I think is the only game so far that actually shows it) but this allows you to get more kills per charge and since Cavalry are able to withdraw from a battle easier than others that makes them key in being able to repeatedly withdraw and charge back in.

My usual strat is to set my melee units into a line with my arches in the back to provide over arching fire support and my cav set to the side to charge their back line archers or cycle charge through their melee. This results in your melee taking a lot of hits but most melee units have 70-150 men depending on your settings for per unit size so the losses are acceptable while your cav usually end the match with 100-200 kills per unit due to the success of picking off their men. NOTE: DO NOT HAVE CAV CHARGE SPEARMEN FRONT ON. THIS WILL RESULT IN THEIR DEATH.

Usually during a fight that I couldn't bring any cav to a fight and I only have a mix of archers and melee against a composition of the same, I make sure to have my archers focus down their archers or else their archers will eat my melee and archers alike with ease.

Another instance may be if you have only melee/archers but the enemy has siege artillery/melee/archers than what you can do is set your melee/archers except for 2 archers to melee mode and just charge the enemy and deny them their artillery advantage. Just have your 2 archer units left pick off any remaining archer units that get away from your charge. It's a high casualty tactic but it's better than losing.

Also in earlier renditions of the game, your "leader" units are incredibly vulnerable. DO NOT EVER CHARGE THEM. They are a prime target for your enemy melee and archers and will be focused down and when they die, your units will begin to waver due to their leader dying. Granted, you can do this vice versa but you never want it to happen to you.

A few suggestions to you with your losses so far is to restart. It takes a couple tries to finally get the hang of the Total War games and it's always better to just restart and try again rather than let yourself be frustrated by your losses. Also losing provinces and armies never the end of your campaign. A few minor/major losses won't off put your entire campaign, it'll just frustrate you and make your campaign take longer. (Granted if you take a lot of losses in the beginning and your capital is surrounded than you are just better off giving up and starting again)

But looking up guides on what to do on youtube will also be more helpful since they will be able to visually show you how to do formations, what formations to use and what strats to use with each army

I personally don't play a lot of Attila due to the bugs and and performance drops I found more rampant in Attila but if it's anything like other Total War games, if you are playing on lower campaign difficulties than your keys will be archers and cav.

Calvary are the bread and butter of any army in Total War games. During a walled city siege battle? not as much so but during an open field battle? they can make or break the battle. The key is cycle charging. Each unit has an extra bonus for charging your enemies (Warhammer I think is the only game so far that actually shows it) but this allows you to get more kills per charge and since Cavalry are able to withdraw from a battle easier than others that makes them key in being able to repeatedly withdraw and charge back in.

My usual strat is to set my melee units into a line with my arches in the back to provide over arching fire support and my cav set to the side to charge their back line archers or cycle charge through their melee. This results in your melee taking a lot of hits but most melee units have 70-150 men depending on your settings for per unit size so the losses are acceptable while your cav usually end the match with 100-200 kills per unit due to the success of picking off their men. NOTE: DO NOT HAVE CAV CHARGE SPEARMEN FRONT ON. THIS WILL RESULT IN THEIR DEATH.

Usually during a fight that I couldn't bring any cav to a fight and I only have a mix of archers and melee against a composition of the same, I make sure to have my archers focus down their archers or else their archers will eat my melee and archers alike with ease.

Another instance may be if you have only melee/archers but the enemy has siege artillery/melee/archers than what you can do is set your melee/archers except for 2 archers to melee mode and just charge the enemy and deny them their artillery advantage. Just have your 2 archer units left pick off any remaining archer units that get away from your charge. It's a high casualty tactic but it's better than losing.

Also in earlier renditions of the game, your "leader" units are incredibly vulnerable. DO NOT EVER CHARGE THEM. They are a prime target for your enemy melee and archers and will be focused down and when they die, your units will begin to waver due to their leader dying. Granted, you can do this vice versa but you never want it to happen to you.

A few suggestions to you with your losses so far is to restart. It takes a couple tries to finally get the hang of the Total War games and it's always better to just restart and try again rather than let yourself be frustrated by your losses. Also losing provinces and armies never the end of your campaign. A few minor/major losses won't off put your entire campaign, it'll just frustrate you and make your campaign take longer. (Granted if you take a lot of losses in the beginning and your capital is surrounded than you are just better off giving up and starting again)

But looking up guides on what to do on youtube will also be more helpful since they will be able to visually show you how to do formations, what formations to use and what strats to use with each army

Thanks for the tips. I've been doing pretty good with the battles so far (mostly making my own) but knowing these things will most certainly help.

I'll try the Mercia campaign again (on easy cuz I scared) and not leave my cities up for grabs. I'll look up what all the UI stuff means and then I should be good.

Thanks for the help!

Back