Event TLOPO Beta Key Contest!

For Option C:
Davy cursed, bitterly clinging to the empty barrel as his beloved Dutchman sank beneath the waves. He knew there was nothing he could do, after seeing the size of the waves, the lightning and thunder doing work of a hundred canons tearing piece by piece into the deck. The many years of sailing were all for naught, nothing could have prepared him for the ferocity of this storm, the heavens vengefully tossing aside his crew and tearing apart the masts like twigs. With the cresting swell the whole scene played before him; Flying Dutchman keel up, crew and cargo struggling to stay afloat. Feeling the upward movement stop, Davy knew this to be the end of his days and closed his eyes to feel the wind and rain spray harder and harder against his face before the sea met him like a punch in the gut. His attempt to breathe met with the oceans icy kiss, loosing his strength now as his vision fades to the comrades dimly illuminated by the now silent lightning. The last sensation he remembered being a warm one, an embrace as consciousness left.
The piercing sunlight left him dazed as he coughed and sputtered onto the dry sand, a welcome shadow slowly coming into focus to reveal a young woman singing softly, the words barely registering in waterlogged ears. Pausing in response to Davy's recovery, she takes her hand in his and says, "Welcome, I am relieved to see that you are all right. My name is Calypso."

Option #3:

David Jones captained th' Hinterland a good 15 years afore 'twas destroyed into thousands o' pieces durin' a mighty gale. Th' day had been o'ercast 'n windy. Large whitecaps tossed th' ship up 'n down more so than usual, but other than that, thin's were fine. That be, 'til around grub time.Th' crew was enjoyin' a hearty meal together, laughin' 'n jokin' 'n swappin' tales. All o' a sudden, th' wind began t' howl, drivin' th' waves hard into th' sides o' th' ship. Rain pounded on th' roof. Th' lookouts began shoutin' 'n soundin' th' warnin' bell."All hands t' yer stations!" thundered David as he rose from his seat. Various crewmen scattered 'n scurried from th' dinin' area 'n out onto th' soaked deck. David soon followed 'n stood out in th' middle o' th' slippery deck, shoutin' orders into th' wind 'n rain 'n yellin' curses at th' sea."Cap'n!" cried a nearby crewman. David turned t' see Ed, an older scallywag than hisself, but a strong hardworkin' scallywag nonetheless."Aye Ed! Wha' be th' trouble?""Calypso seems t' be in a terrible fit today. Best nah make her worse!" "Calypso?" repeated David. "I thought that was only a legend!""No, sir," replied Ed as he struggled wit' th' riggin'. "She's as real as any o' us here on this ship. She's th' Goddess o' th' Sea. A might short temper she has, though.""If ye say so, Ed." Th' words had barely left his lips when a large bolt o' lightnin' rammed th' ship. It went straight through th' first deck 'n all th' way down into th' hold, ignitin' th' gunpowder supply. Splinters 'n other various forms o' shrapnel flew through th' air as th' ship exploded. Th' force knocked wha' remained o' th' crew, includin' David, into th' water. He tried desperately t' swim up t' th' surface, but a rope entangled his feet 'n whatever was fastened t' th' other end pulled 'im down wit' it.He strained 'n fought against th' extra weight, but in vain. Down t' th' depths he sank. His lungs were burnin' 'n he struggled t' hold his breath as long as he possibly could. His vision became blurry 'n dark around th' edges. Spots o' brilliant colors exploded afore 'im. His lungs ached 'n yearned fer fresh air. As he gave up 'n gulped in a mouthful o' water, he thought he saw a strumpet swimmin' toward 'im. He passed it off as a hallucination as he succumbed t' th' black void o' th' deep.

Last edited:
riddle 3 orinda le jeune

WINNER
tenor.gif

"Who is the sad and lonely lady who lives with a Turtle?"
Explanation: "Turtle" means Tortuga. Orinda is an NPC in Tortuga who sits on a box with a sad expression on her face.

beta keys are practically pointless now when your three hrs is up you can get back on since there is barely anyone in the queue waiting

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. If you have any ideas about contests, email them to support@tlopo.com

UPDATE: Only Option C is remaining! Good luck everyone and thanks for participating!

Last edited:
Option C: With the love of the sea a sailor by the name of Davy adventured to find new lands. During one if these voyages he came across an island that was the favorite of a certain sea Goddess, Calypso. He unknowingly explored this island unaware that he was being watched. She made herself known to him. He was as stricken with her as she him. Their fates ever entwined.

Option C:

Caught in a hurricane, smuggler Davy Jones prepared to sink by drinking all his grog, wondering if he could have lived his life as a better man and descended into the darkness. He awoke on a beach, too exhausted to move and watched as a large crab approached. Davy started pouring his heart out to it, hoping to distract it from biting him. The crab heard tales of deceit, thievery and greed. He told it how he'd learned from his mistakes and was a changed man. He was just starting to wonder why a crab was still listening, when it crawled back into the ocean.

A moment later, Davy happily thought the crab was reemerging, it was a good listener and would make an excellent lunch. Instead of a crab, though, Davy saw a beautiful young woman. She told him he would receive a great honor, as she was the crab and had now taken her human form, as Calypso. She had waited centuries for a worthy captain to lead her ship, The Flying Dutchman, in an epic quest. They would sail together, assembling a crew of sailors lost at sea and live happily ever after. Davy acted thankful but was secretly wishing she was still a crab. He plotted to someday get out of this situation, not realizing he would captain The Dutchman forever, whether with Calypso or in cursed purgatory.

After a very bad hurricane destroyed his ship, Davy Jones found himself upon an island. Being the soul survivor he explored this island hoping to find anything to help him get back to safety. Several days passed and he was without food or clean water. He became delirious. He saw colors and shapes all around him. Then just before he passed out from the dehydration, he heard a voice. A woman was humming a song.

Two weeks later he found himself in a pub, with only one memory of that time, the tune that he heard. He was drinking what should have been his last rum for the night, when he heard the same tune being hummed by a woman as she walked past. When their eyes met, she smiled.

Days passed by, they spent every minute together. Before he was to go back out to sea, he made a music box for each of them with that tune playing. So that no matter how far apart they were, they would always be near to one another.

I'm so mad you guys posted this competition right as I went to bed.

Guess I'll take a crack at the story. I told it from the perspective of Davy Jones answering the question "how did you two meet?". Microsoft Word tells me it's exactly 300 words, I had to trim out quite a bit to get it in your range, so please don't yell at me if you count differently!

That is a story that begins with explosions and splintered wood. You are aware of the most despicable type of pirate, yes? The kind of pirate that follows no code. While sailing I happened across three terrible black ships, all side to side with boarding planks strewn across them. I assumed they were attacking the middle ship, and thought to use that distraction to flee, but as I turned my ship around they split and charged.

It would seem they wanted no witnesses, as they opened fire without hesitation. My poor crew was no match for these codeless cretins. As our ship was torn asunder by their vicious barrage, any crew member spotted diving into the water was shot. Never had I seen such violations of code!

An explosion in our holds rendered me unconscious. I can only assume I survived by being tangled in a mess of splintered wood as it drifted away.

I awoke on a beach of an unknown island, lost and alone. I was cold, in pain, and grieving for my lost crew. Dragging myself up from the water I succumbed to exhaustion and lay for hours.

I rose at dusk, piteously hungry. The island was beautiful, but offered no fruits. On the windward coast, I spotted a single giant crab staring out to sea. The cove this crab inhabited sparkled with faerie lights. As I approached the crab turned to appraise me. I will never understand how I knew, but I was overwhelmed with an immense sense of wonder. Walking forward, I dropped my dagger. I tossed aside my waterlogged pistol. When I fell to my knees to the crab’s mighty wonder, I looked up from the sands and in its place smiled the most beautiful woman I ever saw. I was on Calypso’s island.

Last edited:
Greetings!

We have some challenges for you all... But dont worry! We went easy on you!

This contest will gift 5 players with a Beta key.
You can submit one of the following entries to win!

A) Go digging around tlopo.com. The first person to report a typo/error they find in the website will win a key. Blog posts dont count! (winner has been selected)

B) Answer one of the following riddles:

Whats dark as night and hard to find, but brings you light joy and pure delight? ANSWER: Dark Black Brights
What sets you on fire then throws you in water? ANSWER: Corsair ships
Who is the sad and lonely lady who lives with a Turtle? ANSWER: The NPC
Orinda Le Jeune

C) Tell us a tale of how Davy Jones and Calypso met, 100-300 words

Winner of contest C will be announced on August 14th, 2017 at 6PM EDT. Beta Keys will also be distributed via PMs by MMDR at that time.
Please note that players with severe infractions in their account are disqualified.

Calypso is the daughter of Atlas, which makes her a Goddess; she controlled the sea and watched over Davy. She fell in love with Davy Jones and gave him immortally and a job which is guiding the lost souls to the underworld. In exchange being very arrogant as she was, she directed that he must prove to her that he will for fill his duties always, this meant he can only be allowed one day in 10 years on land to be with her. She agreed... When the day came for them to meet she didn't turn up. He then felt betrayed and that she only pretended to love him, so then he cut open his chest and took out his heart which is his weakness and stored it in the box and buried it at the island where they were suppose to meet. He then betrayed her by letting other pirates know how to bing her in human form.
10 years later, Tia Dalma (Calypso in human form) was captured aboard the black pearl in which Davy Jones boarded (this was the first time they've seen each other). Jones then went off on how he completed her task and how their love will never be the same, due to her betrayal.

Option C

Back