Announcement TLOPO Moderation Policy Overhaul (Q3 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are on the right track @Davy Darkrage

Again, specific points of talk aside, I'm only giving advice on what I think to be the way to keep minority groups from getting agitated to the point of a complaint outbreak. I'm looking out for long term health as much as you.

Last edited:
How come for chat reasons we can't just get "muted"... or disabled chat? Like literally every online game iv'e played has had a "mute" punishment for inappropriate chat. A ban seems too much for someone typing out words no matter how bad it is.

How come for chat reasons we can't just get "muted"... or disabled chat? Like literally every online game iv'e played has had a "mute" punishment for inappropriate chat. A ban seems too much for someone typing out words no matter how bad it is.
I agree. Banning people for inappropriate language is not going to help at all.. it will just make them angrier. A mute is much more simple and will make them think twice before talking again because not talking on an interactive online game is not fun. Banning them will make them despise this game.

Last edited:

You do not see what moderators see on a daily basis, so it's understandable why you'd think a ban is not appropriate for some of the things people say. We do not take kindly to people harassing others, or telling them to do unspeakable acts. Imagine someone walking up to your child on the street and telling him to play in traffic - you'd be pretty upset, right? I myself would be livid, and am equally upset when I see someone saying that stuff in the game.

I agree. Banning people for inappropriate language is not going to help at all.. it will just make them angrier. A mute is much more simple and will make them think twice before talking again because not talking on an interactive online game is not fun. Banning them will make them despise this game.

Banning people for inappropriate language is not going to help at all

Actually, it works pretty well! Most people don't repeat offend and learn from their mistakes after a warning, and most wouldn't continue after a ban.

Banning them will make them despise this game.

Then they should not break the TOS they agreed to follow. They knew what the rules were before they signed up, why would they despise the game when they suddenly break them and get in trouble for it? Not really something we can help, at that point.

You are on the right track @Davy Darkrage

Again, specific points of talk aside, I'm only giving advice on what I think to be the way to keep minority groups from getting agitated to the point of a complaint outbreak. I'm looking out for long term health as much as you.

At the end of the day, a few players upset that they were punished is going to be expected with any moderation system in any game. What's important is the vast amount of people who do not break the rules, and the ones that do who learn from their mistakes. If you wish to do explicit things to another player, it's best to take it outside the game and onto other platforms that permit it.

The bottom line is: You signed the TOS, so you should follow the rules. It's fine to question them, but you still have to follow them even if you don't agree with them. If you don't, you'll be punished. Same thing applies to real life; Sure, you may not like some laws, but if you break them then you'll still go to prison or be fined heavily. Not sure the courts would overly care for the complaints of a few when they're keeping the majority safe.

If you want to help the long term health of the game, just follow the rules and let the rule breakers come to terms with the moderation system. If we're keeping the vast majority of players safe and happy, THAT is what matters and THAT is the definition of long term health of a game.

You do not see what moderators see on a daily basis, so it's understandable why you'd think a ban is not appropriate for some of the things people say. We do not take kindly to people harassing others, or telling them to do unspeakable acts. Imagine someone walking up to your child on the street and telling him to play in traffic - you'd be pretty upset, right? I myself would be livid, and am equally upset when I see someone saying that stuff in the game.
Oh come on... lets all be adults here now. I understand that you're heading more towards the "family friendly" route, and I appreciate it, but a ban for just stuff that someone said on an online game? It literally happens all the time. All they did was just say inappropriate things, I don't see how that warrants a ban, which stops them from playing the game entirely. A mute is a WAY better punishment for chat offenses, I mean its logical. At least you can still play, but just cant say anything. And for the child thing, if we're drawing a comparison, then the ban equivalent would be like sending whoever said that out into outer space... just seems a bit too much.

@nowisdmoment there are kids on this game are are not all adults so get over the family friendly thing because it is needed they added a warning point systeam if you don't like it don't play tlopo then i don't want to make this drama but it makes tlopo look stupid to allow bullying cursing or any of that

@nowisdmoment there are kids on this game are are not all adults so get over the family friendly thing because it is needed they added a warning point systeam if you don't like it don't play tlopo then i don't want to make this drama but it makes tlopo look stupid to allow bullying cursing or any of that
Um... ok... I never was against family friendly, its just how they are enforcing this is my problem. And I know there isn't just adults, but they are the vast majority. The warning point system is as basic as it gets, and I don't mind that either. "don't play tlopo" I'm here for nostalgia of the game, not tlopo. I'm glad to be part of this community, and voice opinions and ideas, but I'm here for the game, not the "drama". Also, tlopo can enforce policy however they want. This game was Disney's, but now its the communities. Disney's name is no longer punched next to "Pirates of the Caribbean Online", its "The Legend of Pirates Online", and like its competition, it can decide what rules are to be placed, family friendly or not. And like I said, I don't mind family friendly, but its just I don't agree with how they are handling policy.

@Johnny Telltale as long as the powers that be are open to reason, I'm cool. And judging by the OP, that at least looks to be somewhat the case. Not all rules are perfect. These aren't sacred commandments. And thus, are subject to logical criticism. That also doesn't mean people can just break them until they change. There's an intellectual approach to be taken first. It's just a concept. I'm not implying any specific topic here.

If you're perhaps curious about my philosophy, or to get a different perspective, I'd be more than glad to have a debate over private message or some other conversation. I've about had all I can take of this particular thread. Cheers.

@nowisdmoment There is one very fair argument I have to acknowledge. While the Disney label isn't literally a part of TLOPO, we are still vulnerable legally if they decide to crack down on us. The reason? Well...Disney might look at what they perceive to be a non-family friendly environment and decide that's not what they like to see, and drag the game back into non-existence. It really is for our sake at the end of the day. I do agree, however, that some of the punishments and the vigilance are a bit overboard. But that does seem to be gradually diminishing.

Last edited:
Um... ok... I never was against family friendly, its just how they are enforcing this is my problem. And I know there isn't just adults, but they are the vast majority. The warning point system is as basic as it gets, and I don't mind that either. "don't play tlopo" I'm here for nostalgia of the game, not tlopo. I'm glad to be part of this community, and voice opinions and ideas, but I'm here for the game, not the "drama". Also, tlopo can enforce policy however they want. This game was Disney's, but now its the communities. Disney's name is no longer punched next to "Pirates of the Caribbean Online", its "The Legend of Pirates Online", and like its competition, it can decide what rules are to be placed, family friendly or not. And like I said, I don't mind family friendly, but its just I don't agree with how they are handling policy.
Did you miss the part in the OP that mentioned you won't really get banned anymore due to language, unless you had I'll intentions? You must have. The only reason you could possibly be so worried about this, is if you plan on going around, saying rude things, or talking like a sailor. You're overreacting to something so minute, and inferior. It's moderation, it's the rules, end of story. I'm a mature player, with a bit of a dirty mouth outside of TLOPO, but guess who has literally ZERO problems with this? Me. And many others. For crying out loud, even Grand Theft Auto 5 has a text chat filter, and it's rated M! I don't get why so many people are bent out of shape in regards to the cursing, and foul language. Again, it says in the original post, unless you had harmful intent, you WON'T GET BANNED. You're literally complaining about an issue that no longer exists, unless of course like I said, you plan on running around cursing and insulting people. Sheesh people, grow up, be adults, follow rules. I have siblings in elementary school that complain less about rules than some of these people. It's the real world. This team doesn't owe us anything, so for the love of all things holy, please stop attacking them, and making it seem like they're terrible people.

Did you miss the part in the OP that mentioned you won't really get banned anymore due to language, unless you had I'll intentions? You must have. The only reason you could possibly be so worried about this, is if you plan on going around, saying rude things, or talking like a sailor. You're overreacting to something so minute, and inferior. It's moderation, it's the rules, end of story. I'm a mature player, with a bit of a dirty mouth outside of TLOPO, but guess who has literally ZERO problems with this? Me. And many others. For crying out loud, even Grand Theft Auto 5 has a text chat filter, and it's rated M! I don't get why so many people are bent out of shape in regards to the cursing, and foul llanguage. Again, it says in the original post, unless you had harmful intent, you WON'T GET BANNED. You're literally complaining about an issue that no longer exists, unless of course like I said, you plan on running around cursing and insulting people. Sheesh people, grow up, be adults, follow rules. I have siblings in elementary school that complain less about rules than some of these people. It's the real world. This team doesn't owe us anything, so for the love of all things holy, please stop attacking them, and making it seem like they're terrible people.

Agreed. If you have noticed though LesPaulObsession, if you take the time to pour through the vast majority of the complaints that have jolted the forums lately... It is really the same five or six people that over and over.... and over......... and..... over... have beat this dead horse into hamburger. It is a classic example of squeaky wheels wanting grease, or attention... or hoping that through sheer, overwhelming negative posts masquerading as 'logical' and 'speaking for the disenfranchised population in TLOPO'. This really does boil down to rules... and really simple easy rules to follow that were already agreed to (most likely flippantly) in every player's past. Now.... wait for the immature responses, the idiotic videos of people sarcastically clapping and anything else one could come up with in an attempt to shame a mature individual who can understand very clearly what the moderators and team members have been so patiently trying to explain lately. As an aside... I still tip my hat to the fact that they GENUINELY listen to their community and have bent in ways they didn't have to.... not to appease the angry 'masses' (of a few people)... but to make the game and the forums a better place. So again... Respect for the team... I'm even sorry if I've offended anyone... But there is a mature way to handle every situation that arrives in your life.... (and there will be many) ... TLOPO should be the least of them.

Did you miss the part in the OP that mentioned you won't really get banned anymore due to language, unless you had I'll intentions? You must have. The only reason you could possibly be so worried about this, is if you plan on going around, saying rude things, or talking like a sailor. You're overreacting to something so minute, and inferior. It's moderation, it's the rules, end of story. I'm a mature player, with a bit of a dirty mouth outside of TLOPO, but guess who has literally ZERO problems with this? Me. And many others. For crying out loud, even Grand Theft Auto 5 has a text chat filter, and it's rated M! I don't get why so many people are bent out of shape in regards to the cursing, and foul language. Again, it says in the original post, unless you had harmful intent, you WON'T GET BANNED. You're literally complaining about an issue that no longer exists, unless of course like I said, you plan on running around cursing and insulting people. Sheesh people, grow up, be adults, follow rules. I have siblings in elementary school that complain less about rules than some of these people. It's the real world. This team doesn't owe us anything, so for the love of all things holy, please stop attacking them, and making it seem like they're terrible people.
No need to rant... wow. I never said that the staff were "terrible people"... you have quite the accusation there. I recently got banned for several days for joking around with some friends. I'm not going to run around cussing at people because that's just asking for a MUTE. I'm not against the policy, I just don't agree with how the punishment is made. Now don't say "2 days is nothing", because it really is. If I'm going to get punished for joking around then just make it a mute, not ban. And this isn't all "inferior" or "minute"... policy is a HUGE part of a game, and in this scenario, a ban for chat punishments is over the line.

EDIT: Also, about your point on GTA V, that's completely different because there are alternatives that are very convenient, like using a headset to speak. The only convenient way to talk in this game is through chat. I don't have time to invite people to a discord for just mat runs. Also... you just compared a triple A game to a 2007 remake. Doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
@Remington My friend...if you are going to low key accuse me of masquerading, at least address me directly. There was really no point in saying any of that...And please, learn to make a real argument.

No need to rant... wow. I never said that the staff were "terrible people"... you have quite the accusation there. I recently got banned for several days for joking around with some friends. I'm not going to run around cussing at people because that's just asking for a MUTE. I'm not against the policy, I just don't agree with how the punishment is made. Now don't say "2 days is nothing", because it really is. If I'm going to get punished for joking around then just make it a mute, not ban. And this isn't all "inferior" or "minute"... policy is a HUGE part of a game, and in this scenario, a ban for chat punishments is over the line.

EDIT: Also, about your point on GTA V, that's completely different because there are alternatives that are very convenient, like using a headset to speak. The only convenient way to talk in this game is through chat. I don't have time to invite people to a discord for just mat runs. Also... you just compared a triple A game to a 2007 remake. Doesn't seem right.
I didn't accuse you of calling the staff terrible people, but there are tons of people running around attacking them. My point, is this is no longer a bannable offense, so I just don't why people are so worked up over this. And again, you agreed to their policies when you accepted the ToS, we all did. Just let up on them. They've listened, and loosened the moderation system, and get all this backlash? If we want to go back to the way it was, keep complaining, but again, foul language is NOT BANNABLE any more. They've made that like, as clear as it can be.

I didn't accuse you of calling the staff terrible people, but there are tons of people running around attacking them. My point, is this is no longer a bannable offense, so I just don't why people are so worked up over this. And again, you agreed to their policies when you accepted the ToS, we all did. Just let up on them. They've listened, and loosened the moderation system, and get all this backlash? If we want to go back to the way it was, keep complaining, but again, foul language is NOT BANNABLE any more. They've made that like, as clear as it can be.
Trust me, I'm not trying to bring this game down. I'm just voicing my opinion on this new policy. I was banned for joking around, and there was no consent with me, no warning, just poof... in the middle of a mat run, I get disconnected and receive an email with all the messages I sent to a friend while joking around. And if you want proof, literally several hours later we ADMITTED that we were joking... did the moderators not catch that? Anyways, I'm not trying to stir up anything, I'll take the punishment for whatever it is. However, I just realized why is policy being worked on during BETA stage...? I mean, the goal is supposed to be make this game exactly how it was when it closed down... how come things are changing already? Personally, I'd wait till after full release to talk policy and regulations. Leave it as Disney left it.

-sigh- I give up with this thread. People just don't get it, and I have more important things to do, than argue with bull headed people on the forums. I just want the moderation team to know, that myself, and tons more are thankful for all the things you're doing for this community, even when it seems they all dislike you. You all are handling it exceptionally well. I'm going to tag @John Foulroberts, as I know he heads the moderation team, and I want to make sure my gratitude reaches the people it needs to reach. Keep up the great work, you all are doing a fine job, despite all the negativity that seems to be floating around for some reason. Thanks for all that you do.

Policy changes with the times. It would be ignorant to not revise upon the policy Disney had in place. It's only normal in the progression of any project or company. We can easily revert everything that I and the other moderators have worked countless hours to structure and plan for. Shall we also not moderate for a week straight or more? The behavior complaints would pile in, and families who play this game with their children would be appalled that we would let such language and behavior stand without repercussion. Shame on us for trying to keep the community in mind with our visions. People wonder why I and others get so discouraged conversing with others about moderation because a select few always yell louder than the rest, crying wolf over something that isn't a big deal in the long run.

This is really, really old now. Take it or leave it. Our policy is our policy. We certainly welcome any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback that both 1) identifies a PROBLEM and 2) proposes a SOLUTION for said PROBLEM. We work diligently to provide a family friendly atmosphere for all of you - it would be nice to get something in return once and a while.

With that, we are bringing this discussion to a close. If you have any comments that MATCH the criteria I specified above, please forward them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back