Discussion TLOPO Needs to Provide Answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart Gunshot

Site Founder
I want to preface this by saying, I do not wish to start a flame war. I do not want to start hate against TLOPO or any of its staff members. I think TLOPO has good intentions, I just wish to have a discussion about some troubling points I have seen over the past year or so.

I have brought up points such as the following in the past in a more concise and broad manner. However they have never received much attention from the staff, but more importantly I feel the community doesn't want to realize the problems at hand. I'm not talking about content updates, bug fixes, and everything else the community feels it necessary to comment on. These are superficial and petty complaints, in fact I personally applaud TLOPO on these points of discussion.

I wish to talk about a huge issue in this game which has been brought up before with great controversy. I don't want or care to see people bashing TLOPO or so adamantly defending it. I want a discussion. TLOPO has a moderation issue. A very large and deep reaching issue. I hope out of this discussion we can see even more transparency as we saw with the overhaul last year.

I feel TLOPO needs to address the following specific issues. I will NOT provide specific proof of these cases at this time, as it would involve naming certain individuals in the community. And that is not what I want out of this discussion.
  • TLOPO needs to update their public policy on how they handle undocumented banning and other moderation procedures. These procedures include but are not limited to: Hardware banning, in-game muting, program blocking, etc.
  • There exists an extreme amount of bias in how TLOPO handles moderation procedures. So much so that people who are known to hack the game to disrupt other people's fun are not fully taken care of with the tools TLOPO has at its disposal, while other arguably lesser infractions are dealt with in a totalitarian like manner. It all depends who the person is and who they know.
  • Errors in banning and failure to correct these issues. People who have been tricked or persuaded to log into hardware banned accounts receive the hardware ban themselves for instance. This can happen with many other systems. These are hardly ever corrected by the TLOPO staff, and no communication is given.
  • The fixing of account specific issues is largely based on an individual's status in the community. This is similar to the bias point. People who have ties to TLOPO or are well liked in the community are usually given first class access to developers fixing their issues. While disliked or lesser known individuals wait months or are simply never addressed.
  • TLOPO staff are not without their human errors. There seems to be a culture among the general community and even among the staff themselves that the TLOPO staff are above the rest of the community and therefore they cannot be critiqued and criticized.
Thank you for reading, keep the discussion civil so it can continue to be discussed.

Last edited:
I really appreciate this post, the way it was approached and worded is a great example of how to give critical input.

I think it brings up the hard hitting point that being a member of the tlopo staff and moderation has to be a service to the community and in that, it means a certain level of sacrifice. Such as keeping your work and your play somewhat separated, not showing bias towards those you like and get along with can be a hard thing for anyone, and giving time and energy to help those who maybe you have a personal dislike for can be even harder.

I do not envy the staff and mods for what they have to deal with sometimes, but nobody forced them in, it's a volunteer service they preform. If they are not serving the community as a whole on an equal and just playing field, then it is only a disservice and is damaging.

The staff here has my full support and respect, but that does not mean they are above others. Thank you @Bart Gunshot for bringing your concerns and opening this up for discussion.

I want to preface this by saying, I do not wish to start a flame war. I do not want to start hate against TLOPO or any of its staff members. I think TLOPO has good intentions, I just wish to have a discussion about some troubling points I have seen over the past year or so.

I have brought up points such as the following in the past in a more concise and broad manner. However they have never received much attention from the staff, but more importantly I feel the community doesn't want to realize the problems at hand. I'm not talking about content updates, bug fixes, and everything else the community feels it necessary to comment on. These are superficial and petty complaints, in fact I personally applaud TLOPO on these points of discussion.

I wish to talk about a huge issue in this game which has been brought up before with great controversy. I don't want or care to see people bashing TLOPO or so adamantly defending it. I want a discussion. TLOPO has a moderation issue. A very large and deep reaching issue. I hope out of this discussion we can see even more transparency as we saw with the overhaul last year.

I feel TLOPO needs to address the following specific issues. I will NOT provide specific proof of these cases at this time, as it would involve naming certain individuals in the community. And that is not what I want out of this discussion.
  • TLOPO needs to update their public policy on how they handle undocumented banning and other moderation procedures. These procedures include but are not limited to: Hardware banning, in-game muting, program blocking, etc.
  • There exists an extreme amount of bias in how TLOPO handles moderation procedures. So much so that people who are known to hack the game to disrupt other people's fun are not fully taken care of with the tools TLOPO has at its disposal, while other arguably lesser infractions are dealt with in a totalitarian like manner. It all depends who the person is and who they know.
  • Errors in banning and failure to correct these issues. People who have been tricked or persuaded to log into hardware banned accounts receive the hardware ban themselves for instance. This can happen with many other systems. These are hardly ever corrected by the TLOPO staff, and no communication is given.
  • The fixing of account specific issues is largely based on a individual's status in the community. This is similar to the bias point. People who have ties to TLOPO or are well liked in the community are usually given first class access to developers fixing their issues. While disliked or lesser known individuals wait months or are simply never addressed.
  • TLOPO staff are not without their human errors. There seems to be a culture among the general community and even among the staff themselves that the TLOPO staff are above the rest of the community and therefore they cannot be critiqued and criticized.
Thank you for reading, keep the discussion civil so it can continue to be discussed.
I’m so happy Theo was brought up. The moderation of TLOPO is corrupt and extremely bias. Countless mistakes on their end have resulted in hate and anger for the game as well as the mods themself. Maybe another overhaul wouldn’t be that bad of an idea...

I was just simply waiting for someone jumping the gun with a thread like this and it seems that you did.

I said it in the past and I will do so again; 1+ for transparency.

Agreed completely, a "GM" and a "ALT" are two completely different things, a GM should never drag over his personal feelings from the alt character onto his staff character and vice versa. <-- That's a example.

Staff should be 100% equal no matter how much they hate or like someone, and people who can't do this should never be staff to begin with and should be removed ASAP and replaced with someone who actually do understand the responsibility without any childish thinking.

Fair and Positive staff is the only way to keep it up no matter how much crap gets thrown around, one mistake can bring down the game, one wrong turn can remove 50 players, all for your personal grudge because someone was mean to your alt...

That's me throwing out the truth :D And like mentioned in this post, being staff is a choice and out of free will, if you can't handle it then leave. Unless you're in it for the power.

I do not think the public is "owed" a description of their moderation tools. They have published information about their moderating procedures in this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-moderation-policy-overhaul-q3-2017.21415/

The game is free and as long as you are following the terms of service, you should not have to worry about suffering from any type of ban, mute, or block. If a player feels he/she was unfairly treated via one of these procedures, players should contact customer service with their concerns and/or appeals.

From what I understand (and moderators are free to correct me if I'm wrong), there is a procedure in place to deal with infractions. However, it would be foolish for that procedure to be permanently static. The procedure is likely to be a fluid instrument, constantly changing to address issues as they arise (and fall). For example, players would be warned or banned for using certain words but the moderators listened to the player base who complained that if the other players can't see the word, then why are they being punished? The moderation procedure was changed in response to this criticism so that players were not punished or punished as severely in those cases, depending on their intended meaning (please read through this thread again to see TLOPO's response to initial rounds of criticism on moderating).

Because the moderation policy is fluid, it is understandable why people would have the impression that some are treated differently over time. It could be that a different policy was in place at the time.

TLOPO staff should not be responsible for members who give out their account information. That is their own fault. From what I understand, the passing on of the banned account issue to the "tricked" members has been fixed. The staff have repeatedly asked players not to give out their account information and have gone to extraordinary lengths to prevent unauthorized access. Players who willingly share accounts should not expect the TLOPO team to 'fix' it, so it was very nice of them to look into this unfortunate consequence and prevent it from happening to others.

• The fixing of account specific issues is largely based on an individual's status in the community. This is similar to the bias point. People who have ties to TLOPO or are well liked in the community are usually given first class access to developers fixing their issues. While disliked or lesser known individuals wait months or are simply never addressed.
Again, this may be an impression people get due to changing policies over time, TLOPO developer priorities, or it could be that those on the receiving end of a fix may be a tester and are willing to risk their account to see if the fix works. In this case, the players should be grateful rather than bitter. Unless someone is on the development team, they would not have any first-hand knowledge of the inner-workings of the priorities placed on the fixing of accounts. Is it possible they have fixed an error on a friend's account before a player who went through support? I'm sure it is possible. Has that happened? I don't know. Only the customer support and TLOPO development team know for sure. I personally have had issues with my account but they were all fixed at the same time as everybody else, when the fix was released during an update.

I certainly don't see anyone on these forums or anyone involved with the game as being above criticism. The TLOPO staff are harshly criticized with each release, with each bug fix (Don't you think X should be fixed before Y ??? ) and with every update. Just because someone does not agree with TLOPO's priorities does not mean other issues are being ignored. It's not possible to please everyone no matter what you do. Nobody is above criticism, including the critics themselves.

There's nothing wrong with questioning what TLOPO developers and moderators are or are not doing. These are all valid questions that you have asked, @Bart Gunshot . I hope some of my comments provide some reasonable explanations, though I'm not a moderator for the game or a developer, but I do know some of them quite well.
If I've stating anything in error, I hope one of them will correct me.

Hey there,

Just wanted to pop in here and provide some clarification.

TLOPO needs to update their public policy on how they handle undocumented banning and other moderation procedures. These procedures include but are not limited to: Hardware banning, in-game muting, program blocking, etc.

It’s no secret that we’ve dealt with, and are still dealing with various parties that have targeted this game and its staff to an insane degree. Just take the recent exploit and hacking incidents as of late.

We’ve kept quiet on hardware bans and program blocking for so long because we didn’t want our methods of fighting off the above parties to be readily known. That makes it more easy for them to bypass what we’re doing. Since we started with hardware bans, it’s largely become an open secret, so there really isn’t much point in hiding it anymore.

Yes, we do hardware bans. Yes, we block programs like autoclickers. Yes, we mute people in-game.

We’d like to refer you to this excerpt from our Terms of Service:

"TLOPO reserves the right to restrict and/or terminate your access to our servers without prior notice or liability, for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation if you breach the Terms. Possible reasons for restriction or termination include, but are not limited to. . ."

Our goal is always to be as transparent as possible with the community, but as we mentioned above, there are some situations that need to be kept quiet in order for us to perform our jobs better. This isn’t some devious secret or clandestine plan to target users. It’s just another part of our way to keep the game fair and safe.

There exists an extreme amount of bias in how TLOPO handles moderation procedures. So much so that people who are known to hack the game to disrupt other people's fun are not fully taken care of with the tools TLOPO has at its disposal, while other arguably lesser infractions are dealt with in a totalitarian like manner. It all depends who the person is and who they know.

We have to completely disagree here. We categorically do not discriminate against others or play favorites. If you broke the rules, action will be taken. It doesn’t matter who you are. We understand that you said you won’t be providing any specific examples, but we genuinely, in our time working for TLOPO, cannot think of a single example that fits what you’re talking about.

Firstly, nobody technically “hacks” the game. People have been using memory editors, such as cheat engines. They aren’t compromising our systems in any way.

Anyone definitively known to use these programs has been and will be dealt with accordingly. We know there are a few people currently in the community that are seen as “hackers.” It’s an open secret that they use these programs. And believe us, we know about them. And we aren’t turning a blind eye. We have patched dozens and dozens of situations where these people can weasel into the game and exploit it. And we’re continuing to do so.

Additionally, our moderation procedures are airtight. We need a clear-cut case with actual evidence and not just accusations from community members. That’s why these open secret users haven’t been banned yet.

If someone’s bragging on Discord that they “hacked” the game, that won’t cut it. We need to see clear evidence of people doing these things IN-GAME. If that isn’t there, we can’t do anything. And that’s the way it should be. We aren’t going to ban someone because of hearsay on a social media platform.

This is where the community comes in. If there’s someone you know to be causing a lot of trouble and it’s IN-GAME, report them. Use the report feature. We investigate every single report sent to us in-depth. If the issue is more complex and requires screenshots or a long explanation, please email us at support@tlopo.com.

Errors in banning and failure to correct these issues. People who have been tricked or persuaded to log into hardware banned accounts receive the hardware ban themselves for instance. This can happen with many other systems. These are hardly ever corrected by the TLOPO staff, and no communication is given.

As per our Terms of Service: “. . . logging into another player’s account is done at your own risk and you accept any and all adverse actions that may be taken on your account as a result.”

Anyone who has had an issue with a hardware ban can email us and it will be looked into. We can say we personally removed a hardware ban from a hijacked account just yesterday. We do it all the time.

We do, however, investigate each case individually. If the account in question is known to be originally owned by the person the hardware ban was actually intended for, the request to remove the hardware ban may be denied. The vast majority of users, however, do get their hardware bans removed if they contact us. And to be honest, we don’t HAVE to do this. We have it spelled out in our Terms of Service that any adverse reactions are accepted at your own risk if you share your account. But we still go out of our way to fix these issues as they arise. We aren’t just going to punish people.

We’d also like to take this moment to just put some things at ease. Your account most likely will NOT be hijacked. We have developed many security features, like Arrrmor and Two-Factor Authentication, which add additional layers of protection on your account. This makes it so it's significantly more difficult for an ill-intent pirate to log into your account - even if they've guessed your password.

The fixing of account specific issues is largely based on an individual's status in the community. This is similar to the bias point. People who have ties to TLOPO or are well liked in the community are usually given first-class access to developers fixing their issues. While disliked or lesser known individuals wait months or are simply never addressed.

This is simply false. You email us, we’ll take care of it, as we mentioned above. If we haven’t gotten back to someone specifically, we apologize. We transferred our email server recently. Stuff can get lost in the shuffle. We deal with hundreds of emails and messages in a single day sometimes as well. That can also cause them to get lost in the shuffle. If you haven’t received an email back from us within 2-3 days, we aren’t ignoring you. Just email us again.

TLOPO staff are not without their human errors. There seems to be a culture among the general community and even among the staff themselves that the TLOPO staff are above the rest of the community and therefore they cannot be critiqued and criticized.

From the start of this project, we’ve been very open that we’re community members too. Most of us were just kids when this started up. We aren’t above any other person. But we did make this game. We spent the time to develop it, and we spend the time to run and moderate it. We’re happy to take critiques and criticism. That’s why we’re responding here. But in many, MANY cases, it quickly devolves into bashing or unnecessary hate.

We work on this game ourselves. We pay for it out of pocket. Nobody in the community pays a cent to play the game. We won’t be perfect. The majority of us are not professional software engineers or have had a background in programming before this game. It’s a learning experience for us. We won’t be operating at the level of a AAA development studio, but we strive for that as much as possible. People need to remember that when they submit criticism. Again, this isn’t directed at this particular post, just many many others that we have received.

In summary: We do not consider ourselves above anyone in the community, but we do expect some level of respect and courtesy given the amount of work we’ve done to make this game a reality. We’re not asking to be free of criticism. Criticism is healthy and necessary. But we don’t take kindly to witch hunts or bashing.

Believe us, we also know that we don’t seem very interactive with the community besides a select few people (mainly moderators). This isn’t due to some “holier-than-thou” attitude. Truth be told, it’s for our safety.

Let’s be honest, there are a LOT of crazy people in this community. There are a ton of great people too, but there are also a ton of people who can be dangerous and harmful. We’re aware of that. We’re still here, trucking along and providing the game to this community, but we have largely taken a step back for our own safety. If you’ve been tapped into all the drama over the past few years, you’ll know full well what we mean; some of our staff have even been impacted on a day to day basis in real life as a result of this stuff. But we’re not going to go into that.

That’s not to say we’re ignoring the community. We watch forum threads and get a pulse through Discord servers all the time. We’re still here, even if the majority of us aren’t seen actively on the game or the forums.

In conclusion: We’re not here to play favorites. We’re not here to attack some people and let others roam free. This game isn’t a club with an in-crowd or an out-crowd. This game is for anyone who wants to play it. We all at TLOPO love this game and its community. We wouldn’t be doing all this if we didn’t.

After all, we are community members just like you. When POTCO closed back in 2013, we were all devastated. Countless TLOPO staff members have been around since the early days in 2007 when POTCO began, and its closure was a massive loss to them. We are honored to have the trust of the POTCO community to provide a recreation of the game, and we take this trust very seriously. With this, we try our best to reflect the community’s input as much as we can - even in the moderation of the game. Numerous policies have been changed as a result of community input, we are always open to any kind of suggestions of any sort.

We encourage you all to email support@tlopo.com if you have any more questions. We’d be happy to help.

Threads like this, facilitate back-n-forth discussion...which leads to greater understanding! I applaud ye mates in doing so (for ye will never 'grow' unless important matters are hashed out - maturely).

It's basic math: Discussion/communication minus (-) anyone put on the defensive equates to "the community ye most deserve/arrrr seeking!"

I do know for a fact that there is unfair moderation in the sense of people who have been banned over the banning limit and STILL play the game, as well as people (members) having information on things they really shouldn't, like knowing if they were wrongfully reported & by whom.

I do know for a fact that there is unfair moderation in the sense of people who have been banned over the banning limit and STILL play the game, as well as people (members) having information on things they really shouldn't, like knowing if they were wrongfully reported & by whom.

When a user has accumulated ten points on our end, they will be subjected to a termination regardless of who they are. What you are referencing was an issue with our "Points" page where expired points improperly remained on the page (user's side).

There is one person labeled staff (idk in what way) that acts just as Bart has describe. I have tried to bring it up to other staff but just been directed to dm them lol but ofc they have their profile lock sooo...

Ik I am not perfect, but I also don't pretend to be nor I am holding any title where my behavior has any affect on the community as a whole. I just personally feel no one is going to anything bout this person and they will continue to "kick" ppl off and support those that like to cause drama and "troll" here and in game. So on that note, I don't really trust staff as a whole or believe they are all "not bias" because it is simple not true and Ik this first hand. You all seem to forget, they might be nice around you.. and when being watch but different when not.

That said I do appreciate the game being back up. I wish there would be an answer for some ppl that have been continually reporting bout quest/search items being fixed. Seems like no one can give them an answer. So to myself when we got the servers and nothing said or mention on the search or quest stuff being fix, seem to be more for you all. What I mean is most staff have a lvl 50 and loot at times, so more servers (at least looks, not saying is the case) was more for them so they didnt have to possible run into populated areas. While the current bug only really affects those that are lower lvl, so not a problem for most of them and their friends. This is my personal opinion on how it looked. I have lvl 50's so don't affect me per say, but it seems this issue is affecting a good size group, and they are being ignored.

Even though I didnt name anyone.. this will either get deleted or I will be ban again... sigh

Hey there,

Just wanted to pop in here and provide some clarification.
Myself, and I'm sure the community greatly appreciates a response to what I wrote above. So thanks for that. Its good to have an official word and acknowledgement of the points I brought up. While I don't agree with everything it is a least good having a response. I'm only going to respond to a few things, while I could say things furthering discussion about the other points, I'll refrain because it would probably derail the discussion.

"TLOPO reserves the right to restrict and/or terminate your access to our servers without prior notice or liability, for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation if you breach the Terms. Possible reasons for restriction or termination include, but are not limited to. . ."
Before I comment on anything else, I'll comment on this point. Yes. Most smart companies and entities who wish to cover all their bases do have things like this within their TOS. And yeah, TLOPO can do whatever TLOPO feels like as long as it falls under law, any company can. However, it doesn't mean that customers or users of a service cannot bring up complaints or suggestions. (I'm not suggesting TLOPO is using this as a shield against it, I'm commenting on this for the community to understand).

It’s no secret that we’ve dealt with, and are still dealing with various parties that have targeted this game and its staff to an insane degree. Just take the recent exploit and hacking incidents as of late.

We’ve kept quiet on hardware bans and program blocking for so long because we didn’t want our methods of fighting off the above parties to be readily known. That makes it more easy for them to bypass what we’re doing. Since we started with hardware bans, it’s largely become an open secret, so there really isn’t much point in hiding it anymore.

Yes, we do hardware bans. Yes, we block programs like autoclickers. Yes, we mute people in-game.

We’d like to refer you to this excerpt from our Terms of Service:

Our goal is always to be as transparent as possible with the community, but as we mentioned above, there are some situations that need to be kept quiet in order for us to perform our jobs better. This isn’t some devious secret or clandestine plan to target users. It’s just another part of our way to keep the game fair and safe.
I would say finally officially acknowledging these moderation procedures is a good step forward. I can't say I disagree with using them when appropriate either. And I'm sure most people would agree that its necessary. However, personally I do not agree with the vaugeness of it all. If a user has had moderation actions taken against them they should be able to know what they did, and how they are being punished. These bans and moderation actions are not listed in the list of bans an account has. I feel that they should be. This ultimately comes down to TLOPO's discretion (obviously). But I honestly feel this is only fair.

Additionally, our moderation procedures are airtight. We need a clear-cut case with actual evidence and not just accusations from community members. That’s why these open secret users haven’t been banned yet.

If someone’s bragging on Discord that they “hacked” the game, that won’t cut it. We need to see clear evidence of people doing these things IN-GAME. If that isn’t there, we can’t do anything. And that’s the way it should be. We aren’t going to ban someone because of hearsay on a social media platform.
This makes sense and the idea is pretty admirable in my opinion. I have noticed the measures TLOPO is taking against "hacking," 3rd party programs, etc. I applaud it. I suppose it's just frustrating to me and the community to "know" who is responsible yet have no solid proof for it.

We work on this game ourselves. We pay for it out of pocket. Nobody in the community pays a cent to play the game. We won’t be perfect. The majority of us are not professional software engineers or have had a background in programming before this game. It’s a learning experience for us. We won’t be operating at the level of a AAA development studio, but we strive for that as much as possible. People need to remember that when they submit criticism. Again, this isn’t directed at this particular post, just many many others that we have received.

In summary: We do not consider ourselves above anyone in the community, but we do expect some level of respect and courtesy given the amount of work we’ve done to make this game a reality. We’re not asking to be free of criticism. Criticism is healthy and necessary. But we don’t take kindly to witch hunts or bashing.

Believe us, we also know that we don’t seem very interactive with the community besides a select few people (mainly moderators). This isn’t due to some “holier-than-thou” attitude. Truth be told, it’s for our safety.

Let’s be honest, there are a LOT of crazy people in this community. There are a ton of great people too, but there are also a ton of people who can be dangerous and harmful. We’re aware of that. We’re still here, trucking along and providing the game to this community, but we have largely taken a step back for our own safety. If you’ve been tapped into all the drama over the past few years, you’ll know full well what we mean; some of our staff have even been impacted on a day to day basis in real life as a result of this stuff. But we’re not going to go into that.
We all appreciate what the TLOPO staff have done to bring this game back. It clearly isn't easy, its time consuming, emotionally and physically taxing, I understand. Even from short experience maintaining a project in this community, its not easy at all. I applaud those who have made this possible.

There is one person labeled staff (idk in what way) that acts just as Bart has describe. I have tried to bring it up to other staff but just been directed to dm them lol but ofc they have their profile lock sooo...

Ik I am not perfect, but I also don't pretend to be nor I am holding any title where my behavior has any affect on the community as a whole. I just personally feel no one is going to anything bout this person and they will continue to "kick" ppl off and support those that like to cause drama and "troll" here and in game. So on that note, I don't really trust staff as a whole or believe they are all "not bias" because it is simple not true and Ik this first hand. You all seem to forget, they might be nice around you.. and when being watch but different when not.

That said I do appreciate the game being back up. I wish there would be an answer for some ppl that have been continually reporting bout quest/search items being fixed. Seems like no one can give them an answer. So to myself when we got the servers and nothing said or mention on the search or quest stuff being fix, seem to be more for you all. What I mean is most staff have a lvl 50 and loot at times, so more servers (at least looks, not saying is the case) was more for them so they didnt have to possible run into populated areas. While the current bug only really affects those that are lower lvl, so not a problem for most of them and their friends. This is my personal opinion on how it looked. I have lvl 50's so don't affect me per say, but it seems this issue is affecting a good size group, and they are being ignored.

Even though I didnt name anyone.. this will either get deleted or I will be ban again... sigh
Stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back