Discussion TLOPO Q/A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) I don't see how you could just pick one. Disney is absolutely both, as are all corporations.

2. Satisfied? Not sure what you mean specifically.
I am trying my best to gauge how TLOPO generally feels about Disney. Given TLOPO seems fairly consistent to want to avoid Disney at all costs, I am looking for some verifiable understanding that this is - in fact - the case. Hence, the limitation of such an answer to be given.

For the other question, I am hoping TLOPO can eventually agree with me that TLOPO needs it's own "Jesse Schell" (with whomever that could be for TLOPO). It is relevant because this is one thing that TTR has to which TLOPO does not; a key supporter whom is not associated with the remake or the community derived from it. *More support can equate to greater success for TLOPO (now and further down the road, imo).

I am trying my best to gauge how TLOPO generally feels about Disney. Given TLOPO seems fairly consistent to want to avoid Disney at all costs, I am looking for some verifiable understanding that this is - in fact - the case. Hence, the limitation of such an answer to be given.

For the other question, I am hoping TLOPO can eventually agree with me that TLOPO needs it's own "Jesse Schell" (with whomever that could be for TLOPO). It is relevant because this is one thing that TTR has to which TLOPO does not; a key supporter whom is not associated with the remake or the community derived from it. *More support can equate to greater success for TLOPO (now and further down the road, imo).
I volunteer you Shamus.
However, be aware my vote is meaningless.

Is there any way currently to obtain in-game 3d models for the purpose of 3d printing?

I recently bought a 3d printer and I would love to be able to print off some stuff from TLOPO and show them off

Is there any way currently to obtain in-game 3d models for the purpose of 3d printing?

I recently bought a 3d printer and I would love to be able to print off some stuff from TLOPO and show them off
Not TLOPO affiliated but can shed some light.
TLOPO made models? no. They now encrypt the phase files.

POTCO models, yes.

You'll have to use your own files and decompile them or download them from someone who has already uploaded them. You'll also need Panda3D for the bam2egg converter. I'd then recommend using one of Panda3D's other converters (egg2maya, egg2x, etc.) for a suitable commonly used file type OR using this blender plugin to import .egg into blender. The plugin actually supports animations and rigs as well although the conversion from .bam to .egg messes up a lot of bones currently. Unfortunately for those who aren't familiar with the command line the converters are all command line. I can help you with the process if you need some guidance.

I've been meaning to make a video of this process. But haven't gotten around to it. Short form instructions below.
open command line in FILENAME.bam location
bam2egg.exe FILENAME.bam FILENAME.egg
either...
open FILENAME.egg with blender plugin​
use command line to use another converter like the bam2egg.exe​

Issues:
bam2egg.exe is not recognized...
move it from C:\Panda3D\bin\ to location​
or use registry to have it be recognized​
Other:
all useful standalone applications are in C:\Panda3D\bin\
pview.exe can be used to view .bam and .egg models
multify.exe used to decompile existing .mf files you may have (phase files)

I volunteer you Shamus.
However, be aware my vote is meaningless.
Have you ever seen me loot (or rank for the leaderboards). *Yeah, you would not have said such a thing if you had - lol. Now sailing or SVS...shrugs. ;)

@Mr. Dev - I have a good friend whom plays but cannot acquire the RC teleport option? She has already contacted support several times to no avail. What can I do or say to help her or, what do you suggest? Thank you.

Not TLOPO affiliated but can shed some light.
TLOPO made models? no. They now encrypt the phase files.

POTCO models, yes.

You'll have to use your own files and decompile them or download them from someone who has already uploaded them. You'll also need Panda3D for the bam2egg converter. I'd then recommend using one of Panda3D's other converters (egg2maya, egg2x, etc.) for a suitable commonly used file type OR using this blender plugin to import .egg into blender. The plugin actually supports animations and rigs as well although the conversion from .bam to .egg messes up a lot of bones currently. Unfortunately for those who aren't familiar with the command line the converters are all command line. I can help you with the process if you need some guidance.

I've been meaning to make a video of this process. But haven't gotten around to it. Short form instructions below.
open command line in FILENAME.bam location
bam2egg.exe FILENAME.bam FILENAME.egg
either...
open FILENAME.egg with blender plugin​
use command line to use another converter like the bam2egg.exe​

Issues:
bam2egg.exe is not recognized...
move it from C:\Panda3D\bin\ to location​
or use registry to have it be recognized​
Other:
all useful standalone applications are in C:\Panda3D\bin\
pview.exe can be used to view .bam and .egg models
multify.exe used to decompile existing .mf files you may have (phase files)

Thanks Bart! I'll see what I can do when I get some time available

You'll have to use your own files and decompile them or download them from someone who has already uploaded them.

Just to save people the time, I want to add that downloading or using a much older version is the only way. I wasted a lot of time last year figuring that out. "Anyone savvy enough to break TLOPO's encryption would earn themselves a place on the dev team" or something like that.

Yeah, we have our resources encrypted for a reason. We've had multiple folks, who shall not be named, attempt to steal our work. Models take a long time to finish, and we don't want folks going in there and claiming our work as their own.

It's unfortunate that the trade-off means that inquisitive folks like yourselves can't access our files. But, like Bart said, the original POTCO phase files are out there, and we encourage anyone who is interested to try and experiment with them. ^_^

@Mr. Dev - I have a good friend whom plays but cannot acquire the RC teleport option? She has already contacted support several times to no avail. What can I do or say to help her or, what do you suggest? Thank you.

We had a patch a few weeks ago that should've fixed that for everyone that had the issue. If she didn't get fixed, have her shoot me a PM.

We had a patch a few weeks ago that should've fixed that for everyone that had the issue. If she didn't get fixed, have her shoot me a PM.
Thank you. I will let her know and I do appreciate the suggestion. ;)

@Mr. Dev - I have another difficult question for you (& TLOPO). First, I would like to reiterate that I do appreciate yourself answering my past questions here. ;) Below is my question, but preceded with some truth.

A lot of people have grown tired of myself harping (https://piratesforums.co/threads/if-i-am-a-devil-why-do-i-harp.29663/) online about permission and copyright. Sandwich'd between esch issue remain an insistence of mine that TLOPO devise/adopt a contingency plan. *I have a solution I would like to ask TLOPO to consider...so I can stop being a Debbie Downer with hope to end "all" of this!

Q: Would TLOPO consider putting a disclaimer on it's launcher/website/future social media promotions explaining that TLOPO players "play" at their own risk, given current copyright law, and that TLOPO does not have actual permission from Disney?

I care for the fate of the community a lot. Such a disclaimer could alleviate much of my own worry. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mr. Dev - I have another difficult question for you (& TLOPO). First, I would like to reiterate that I do appreciate yourself answering my past questions here. ;) Below is my question, but preceded with some truth.

A lot of people have grown tired of myself harping (https://piratesforums.co/threads/if-i-am-a-devil-why-do-i-harp.29663/) online about permission and copyright. Sandwich'd between esch issue remain an insistence of mine that TLOPO devise/adopt a contingency plan. *I have a solution I would like to ask TLOPO to consider...so I can stop being a Debbie Downer with hope to end "all" of this!

Q: Would TLOPO consider putting a disclaimer on it's launcher/website/future social media promotions explaining that TLOPO players "play" at their own risk, given current copyright law, and that TLOPO does not have actual permission from Disney?

I care for the fate of the community a lot. Such a disclaimer could alleviate much of my own worry. Thank you!

“Your access to and use of the Services is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. These Terms apply to all visitors, users, and others who access or use the Services, including guest parties using another user’s account.”

“The Legend of Pirates Online ("TLOPO") is a fan-made recreation of The Walt Disney Company’s Pirates of the Caribbean Online. By using TLOPO, you certify that you understand that TLOPO is not associated with The Walt Disney Company and/or Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (or the affiliates of either party) and that you release The Walt Disney Company from any and all liability for any personal loss caused to you by the use of TLOPO.”

I believe that they have already done that. If not with their "about the project" on the front page then definitely in their ToS. TLOPO has said that they have not actually received permission from Disney thousands of times, nobody has. Don't think much else is necessary.
1581964423198.png
1581964516439.png

We have such disclaimers plastered everywhere. Our terms of service clearly state this.
I have read it, several times. No where listed is the phrase "copyright" and that "TLOPO does not have Disney permission."

I am concerned that players themselves are not physically seeing such language. Thank you - @Mr. Dev

I have read it, several times. No where listed is the phrase "copyright" and that "TLOPO does not have Disney permission."

I am concerned that players themselves are not physically seeing such language. Thank you - @Mr. Dev
See, I hope the disconnect is shown; via TLOPO terms and disclaimer the focus is placed heavily upon TLOPO's own liability. *What drives myself - and what I am most concerned with - is "player liability" (in the form of everyone being 'clear' that they play @ risk given TLOPO does not have permission and is currently breaking copyright law). What I hope to most accomplish with such a hardlined stance is that NOBODY whom plays TLOPO will be subjected to unexpected disappointment pertinent to any action ever taken against TLOPO - if that were to occur (and not with TLOPO game play nor capability). It is_not because I love copyright nor overly support it's current law!

TLOPO is making the mistake ;) in listening to those whom are most at odds with myself rather than understanding the intention which is the driving force within me. As such, I would like to ask another question (if I may).

Q: Does TLOPO enjoy making people happy? (If so, TLOPO will consider certain contingency which strives to minimize and lessen the level of disappointment 'players alone' had to deal with, given the POTCO experience, all on account of Corporate greed and lack of Corporate responsibility within the area of empathy towards the common player). A change in terms or disclaimer language (less change towards actual TLOPO approach) helps to alleviate the liability a player may endure, however remote or far fetched that would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back