Discussion TLOPO Q/A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, we don’t categorize people.
I don't play TLOPO so I "lack context of many of these issues." Your words, not mine:
It would have made more sense to leave the fact that I don't play TLOPO, out! The reason being, not everyone should have to feel accepted on this forums by playing TLOPO? Don't you (or TLOPO) agree?

That ^ is my question here, for this thread. Thank you. :)

Again, we don’t categorize people.

Not sure how to better phrase what Stephen said so succinctly. We don't categorize players, we do not play favorites, or at least we try not to. When it comes to moderation, community interaction, etc, we try to be as democratic as possible.

When it comes to CONTENT we dish out, we strive to be democratic, but our biases do get in the way. In my own opinion, I think we leaned a little bit too much into looting content over the past year and a half or so. Mostly because I think a lot of our staff are looters.

We don't regret adding such content, but other parts of the game need love too, like SvS and PvP, which we're hoping to play catch-up on in a big way with the CTC expansion. (More details on that in the coming days)

Anyway, sorry for that digression. I like to clarify a bunch of different stuff when I pop into this thread.

It would have made more sense to leave the fact that I don't play TLOPO, out! The reason being, not everyone should have to feel accepted on this forums by playing TLOPO? Don't you (or TLOPO) agree?

Given the current state of the POTCO community (and note I stress POTCO, not TLOPO), I'd say Pirates Forums is really the last gathering place, as is TLOPO itself.

As such, anyone who was/is a part of the POTCO community is more than welcome here, more than welcome to participate in discussions and social interaction. I'm not forums staff, so I don't speak for them directly on that matter. But as you well know, many forums staff members are also TLOPO staff, so I get a good sense of how we as a unit "forums & TLOPO staff" feel about the matter.

That being said, I'm getting a lot of subtext from your recent questions here. If I may be blunt, it seems to imply that you think TLOPO doesn't care about your opinions and immediately discounts them because you don't play the game. That is false. Myself, Stephen, and plenty other forums/staff members have had discussions on this with you, both in this thread and elsewhere.

I would say TLOPO doesn't particularly agree with many of the stances you've taken on where this community should go, but we respect your right to make them in a mature and composed manner.

In short, no, we don't hate you. But, I would say, one would be much better informed on how TLOPO works as a community and a game if he or she actually tried playing it. That choice, however, is up to each individual.

Again, I do not proofread. We're in crunch time right now with the CTC expansion, and I just wanted to pop in and answer this question. But I really do have to get back to work, and would really rather not sit here for 20 minutes combing through my post to fix grammatical/spelling errors. Thanks for your understanding.

Not sure how to better phrase what Stephen said so succinctly. We don't categorize players, we do not play favorites, or at least we try not to. When it comes to moderation, community interaction, etc, we try to be as democratic as possible...

...but our biases do get in the way...If I may be blunt, it seems to imply that you think TLOPO doesn't care about your opinions and immediately discounts them because you don't play the game...

...I would say TLOPO doesn't particularly agree with many of the stances you've taken...

In short, no, we don't hate you. But, I would say, one would be much better informed on how TLOPO works as a community and a game if he or she actually tried playing it. That choice, however, is up to each individual...
I appreciate you responding on behalf of @Stephen Teague, for him. Your words mean something, to all of us, but I can assure you I have been around these parts for a very long time - possibly longer than some of you - so I do understand the games being played by people given a level of power for them to speak and to represent. Let us agree today that in the future that such attempts made to categorize someone (by whether they play a specific remake, explicitly or not) that said attempts will be snuffed out quickly, to avoid pirates such as myself from pitching a fit about it - publicly.

Can TLOPO agree as a team and together, on this? Can TLOPO also acknowledged that some of us are POTCO veterans and don't necessarily need to be told about "how things are within TLOPO" given we had seen (and experienced much) on POTCO? Can this too be acknowledged, without shade and categorization being thrown around?

Thank you for your openness and respectful words. ;)

I appreciate you responding on behalf of @Stephen Teague, for him.

With all due respect, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from throwing shade like this. I don't speak for Stephen. I speak for myself, and, in some instances, for the staff as a whole after conferring with them before posting.

I can assure you I have been around these parts for a very long time - possibly longer than some of you

In my opinion, the amount of time one has spent playing POTCO doesn't really equate to status. That being said, myself, and at least half of the TLOPO staff have been playing since 2008 or earlier. Two of our more senior staff members have been playing since the very first phase of beta. We understand the point you're trying to make. We've been around the block too, and care about this game very much.

Let us agree today that in the future that such attempts made to categorize someone (by whether they play a specific remake, explicitly or not) that said attempts will be snuffed out quickly, to avoid pirates such as myself from pitching a fit about it - publicly.

As both Stephen and I said previously, we have not and do not categorize community members in this way. Everyone is on equal footing and has a right to express their opinions with maturity and composure.

Can TLOPO also acknowledged that some of us are POTCO veterans and don't necessarily need to be told about "how things are within TLOPO" given we had seen (and experienced much) on POTCO?

Yes, much of TLOPO is similar to POTCO, but as someone who has played both, I can tell you the community is different too. There are some subtleties of how the community operates that just simply can't be understood unless you actually play the game. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to comment on TLOPO as you have. Of course you do, as does anyone that cares about this community.

Can this too be acknowledged, without shade and categorization being thrown around?

As both Stephen and I said earlier in this thread, we do not categorize. I speak for myself and TLOPO staff as a whole when I say we strive to communicate "shade-free" as it were, respectfully and with the assumption of good faith.

Nobody is being censored or written off.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous response to one of your questions, we want to keep this thread centered on gameplay, technical, or BTS questions. If you have further to say on this matter, I recommend starting a PM with me directly or making a different thread. I won't be responding to any other messages of this type in this thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Again, I do not proofread. We're in crunch time right now with the CTC expansion, and I just wanted to pop in and answer this question. But I really do have to get back to work, and would really rather not sit here for 20 minutes combing through my post to fix grammatical/spelling errors. Thanks for your understanding.

With all due respect, I'd appreciate it if you would refrain from throwing shade like this. I don't speak for Stephen. I speak for myself, and, in some instances, for the staff as a whole after conferring with them before posting.

In my opinion, the amount of time one has spent playing POTCO doesn't really equate to status. That being said, myself, and at least half of the TLOPO staff have been playing since 2008 or earlier. Two of our more senior staff members have been playing since the very first phase of beta. We understand the point you're trying to make. We've been around the block too, and care about this game very much.

As both Stephen and I said previously, we have not and do not categorize community members in this way. Everyone is on equal footing and has a right to express their opinions with maturity and composure.

Yes, much of TLOPO is similar to POTCO, but as someone who has played both, I can tell you the community is different too. There are some subtleties of how the community operates that just simply can't be understood unless you actually play the game. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to comment on TLOPO as you have. Of course you do, as does anyone that cares about this community.

As both Stephen and I said earlier in this thread, we do not categorize. I speak for myself and TLOPO staff as a whole when I say we strive to communicate "shade-free" as it were, respectfully and with the assumption of good faith.

Nobody is being censored or written off.

Again, as I mentioned in my previous response to one of your questions, we want to keep this thread centered on gameplay, technical, or BTS questions. If you have further to say on this matter, I recommend starting a PM with me directly or making a different thread. I won't be responding to any other messages of this type in this thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Then let him speak for himself please - pertinent to his comment upon the thread I had shared. Also, the OP of this thread does not distinguish the "type" of questions which sought to be asked for this thread (no disrespect). This brings myself to ask another question:
  • Does TLOPO still seek to provide a older, 2008 or 2009 aspect version of POTCO as once suggested (I believe mentioned this past summer)?
I've been around since 2009 but, I guess now that doesn't matter comparable to those whom been around since 2008.

• Does TLOPO still seek to provide a older, 2008 or 2009 aspect version of POTCO as once suggested (I believe mentioned this past summer)

In little ways, we already have. But we do intend to bring back old islands in some form. Not a completely separate game, and not as its own "classic server" within the game itself. It's still early days, but that is my next project after CTC is fully released.

In little ways, we already have. But we do intend to bring back old islands in some form. Not a completely separate game, and not as its own "classic server" within the game itself. It's still early days, but that is my next project after CTC is fully released.
Thank you.

In addition, I'd like to add that choosing to not pick up loot will *not* improve your loot rate, it has no effect. The game doesn't check to see if you opened earlier containers or not. You're free to practice whatever "method" you wish, but it won't have any effect on your loot quality at all.

This is the best thing I've read all day. I feel 100% less guilty picking up gold and other trinkets in my looting sessions! :happy::happy:

How soon should we expect the Carrack? I've been looking forward to using it ever since it was first leaked. Would love to see the sailing meta tossed up a little bit.

Can the haircut from this gypsy be added as as male (and female if it isn't already) haircut?
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 10.00.26 PM.png

Edit: I don't mean this as a suggestion either, just like is this a thing you guys could do -- because I've heard new haircuts were not something realistically possible -- but there are haircuts like the above that would be new and exists, but is a NPC different.

Last edited:
Can the haircut from this gypsy be added as as male (and female if it isn't already) haircut?
View attachment 117865

Edit: I don't mean this as a suggestion either, just like is this a thing you guys could do -- because I've heard new haircuts were not something realistically possible -- but there are haircuts like the above that would be new and exists, but is a NPC different.

As of now, it isn't possible to port it over to male pirates due to some modeling limitations. However, we might be able to make it usable for lady pirates. The only wrinkle would be how it behaves when wearing hats. I'd have to look into that.

There are a few technical things wrong with it, and we also aren't 100% happy with it design-wise. Might be a bit too big. But it's a dream we've had for awhile now and it'll definitely come out at some point.
I've heard rummers of the Carrack being available on the test server... Unfortunately I wasn't special enough to be one of the first 100 testers, but I really wanna get my hands on this ship - even if it's not in it's final form.
I supposed I'll have to wait. :sad1:

Viewing distance has been brought up on the test server thread by S.T. and my question is: Is viewing distance effected by the users graphic quality settings. On regular beta game, not the test server. I have everything on low. Would my distance view be better at high quality? I know it would be sharper/crisper, but that does not mean things come into view in the distance that weren't there before I'm assuming?

Viewing distance has been brought up on the test server thread by S.T. and my question is: Is viewing distance effected by the users graphic quality settings. On regular beta game, not the test server. I have everything on low. Would my distance view be better at high quality? I know it would be sharper/crisper, but that does not mean things come into view in the distance that weren't there before I'm assuming?
To my knowledge, render distance currently can’t be adjusted through your game settings, they’re the same for everyone, regardless if you’re on “High” or “Low”.

To my knowledge, render distance currently can’t be adjusted through your game settings, they’re the same for everyone, regardless if you’re on “High” or “Low”.
Thank you. So render distance is one of those parameters that aren't effected by todays graphic quality settings high or low. But needs to be tweaked by staff. As I mentioned on another thread, hopefully it could be introduced as a user graphic setting slider.
And of course, I have no clue how difficult or simple it would be to implement such a thing.
And since it appears as a choice on almost every mmo I've been on, that could be a sign it may be possible on tlopo in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back