Discussion TLOPO Q/A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The launcher hasn't officially supported 32-bit for several months now, coming up on a year soon. The game executable itself is still 32-bit on the live servers, Pypperoni will be making it a 64-bit executable -- this update will be removing any remaining 32-bit support we still have.

To be honest, this is broken in skills. We have been working hard on skills the past few weeks making sure they are all finally working.

Right now, each rank of powerful gives you an additional 1 damage per rank. We have decided internally to make this into a 10% damage boost per rank, but what do you think would be a good percentage? We're open to suggestions here.
Take for example Jack Sparrow's blade. It has an attack of 86. Cleave +3. And Critical Strike rank 3. 5% of 86 is 4.3. So if each rank would give 5% more dmg that would be 3*4.3=12.9, say 13 more dmg.That added up is attack 99. That is good, but does it make the weapon worthy? Not really, Baracuda Blade exists and does more damage overall due to its blade storm boost.
My suggestiom for Powerfull is to make it 7% more per each rank. ( and the way I calculated it, also diminishes the number methematicaly btw).
7% of 86 is 6.02, let's say just 6. 6 times 3 is 18. And 86+18= 104 attack. Now it does more than Barracuda and has some actual place. Not as strong as Behemoth's defence but neither as strong as WEB's ability to survive.
Also for Dutchman's Wrath it could be just 10% more damage against Davy Jome's crew / rank.

Can you disclose the difference between critical hit ranks for cannon rams, for example, critical round shot rank 1/2/3- I'm aware that a critical hit does double damage, so I'm assuming the difference is in the percentage chance of getting a critical hit, and if so, what are those percentages? Are these chances the same or different for the various cannonball types, for example is the chance of getting critical round shot 1 the same as critical fury 1, critical firebrand 1, etc?

To be honest, this is broken in skills. We have been working hard on skills the past few weeks making sure they are all finally working.

Right now, each rank of powerful gives you an additional 1 damage per rank. We have decided internally to make this into a 10% damage boost per rank, but what do you think would be a good percentage? We're open to suggestions here.

A percentage boost to overall damage sounds great. You may consider making Powerful slightly less than skill buffs against specific enemy types such as Dutchman's Wrath since it would work on every enemy type.

I don't know what you're current thoughts are for DW, but I think even a difference such as 8% overall dmg increase per rank for Powerful, and 10% overall dmg increase per rank for DW and and other single enemy type skill buffs you do in the future would be a great way to keep them balanced.

Orr you could have them same increase per rank but just keep the single enemy type buffs a rank higher. Anyway there's my thoughts, thanks for working on weapon skills!

is there going to be a fix for the launcher issue regarding the error that you get when trying to download a phase file? i tried downloading one of them from the browser and put it in the default folder but when i open the launcher the launcher replaces the file i downloaded with a new phase file

Do you mean like legal help? That would be appreciated if any situation were to arise, but I rather doubt there would be much anyone could do in that scenario.
How can TLOPO know for certain about such doubt if TLOPO never tries to eliminate such doubt...but rather instead help...to begin with (but prior to anything occurring)?

As such, what percentage % could TLOPO give towards it's efforts to understand the legalities behind TLOPO sustaining itself? Thank you.;)

In relation to this will we ever see a Flying Dutchman ship encounter like the QAR

I'd love to do that. Disney actually has code remnants for encounters similar to the QAR for The Flying Dutchman, Jolly Roger's ship, and the HMS Dauntless. Nothing that's essentially plug-and-play. More so like ship names in the same section as QAR.

We don't have any Flying Dutchman model from Disney, so that'd have to be done from scratch. It'd be a whole major project, which I personally am all for, but I can't see it happening any time soon.

Sorry for the double post. Replying to more questions here:

is there going to be a fix for the launcher issue regarding the error that you get when trying to download a phase file? i tried downloading one of them from the browser and put it in the default folder but when i open the launcher the launcher replaces the file i downloaded with a new phase file

We recently switched around a lot with our servers on the back-end. When we were booting up, we had similar issues. If you're STILL encountering those issues now, try one of the following:

1. Go to your TLOPO folder - usually in C:/Program Files (x86), but you may have installed it elsewhere. Go into the "resources" and delete the corresponding phase file that is listed in the error on your launcher.

2. Complete fresh reinstall of the game. Uninstall and delete everything in the TLOPO folder. (Make sure to save any screenshots you've taken and move them elsewhere.)

Will the rest of Davy Jones' crew ever get added such as Maccus (hammerhead), Hadras (conch shell head), Ogilvey, Angler etc? The crew is large and they would all be awesome to have. https://pirates.fandom.com/wiki/Crew_of_the_Flying_Dutchman

Love those dudes. Some of the less famous ones like Ogilvey have their names in-game as random bosses, but the models don't match. I would love to add Maccus and Hadras. Hadras is a personal favorite of mine from the movies. But that'd require a complex model setup, which would be worth it but would take a lot of time. Basically in the same camp as my Flying Dutchman boss encounter response above. HOWEVER, this is also a bit of a grey area because of legality. See my longer response to Shamus below.

How can TLOPO know for certain about such doubt if TLOPO never tries to eliminate such doubt...but rather instead help...to begin with (but prior to anything occurring)?

As such, what percentage % could TLOPO give towards it's efforts to understand the legalities behind TLOPO sustaining itself? Thank you.;)

So, some background on how TLOPO is structured. We're split up into various departments. I think this is relevant to answer your question, for context anyway.

- Game Development, programming/coding & where I reside.
- Content Development, where textures, modeling, and smaller pieces of new content are made.
- Storyline, where quest writing and blog post management occur.
- Quality Assurance, where folks test new changes
- A few others like Customer Support, Multimedia/Graphic Design, etc.

Anyway, each of these departments has a department lead, that oversees all aspects of that section of TLOPO. Each lead also is a member of our management board, which essentially acts as the board of executives for TLOPO. I'm not a department lead, so I can't really speak for them or that operation directly, but I can tell you what they do on a basic level.

The management board handles all hiring of new staff members by a vote, pay the brunt of server and maintenance costs, make executive decisions on larger dealings within the project, and, most relevant to your question: strategizing how to keep TLOPO within Disney's good graces.

I can promise you that they have taken special care to make sure everything within our power is being done to keep TLOPO within Disney's standards. Legal precedents have been discussed, contact has been made informally with some Disney connections about the project, etc.

From what I can understand, Disney has 100% ownership over the POTCO source code, textures, models, animations, and basically anything that makes up the game. Read the "License and Restrictions" of the original POTCO terms of use on the wiki: https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Terms_of_Use

That is air-tight. What we are doing directly goes against the terms we all agreed to when originally playing POTCO. You know it, I know it, the whole community knows it, and Disney knows it.

I'm sorry, but I do not think there is anything else to be done.

I skimmed your Revive POTCO thread. Meaning no offense by this, it was rather long and I'm short on time, so I did not read closely. From what I understand, you want us to pursue changing copyright law? I doubt we'd have any grounds to do so, since, as I said above, Disney has ownership of basically every tiny detail of the game.

As such, what percentage % could TLOPO give towards it's efforts to understand the legalities behind TLOPO sustaining itself? Thank you.

Do you mean monetarily? I can't speak to whether or not that'd be wise since it isn't up to me. I do not fund the project monetarily. We could, in theory, hire a lawyer for a consultation on this matter, but given how clearly Disney stated their terms, as I mentioned above, and the legal precedent around similar projects being shut down, I rather doubt a lawyer could do anything for us.

In short, I think the best course of action is for us to keep moving forward as we have been, with the following ground rules:
  • Staying family-friendly, with active moderation and restricted chat to uphold this standard.
    • This includes a zero-tolerance policy for sharing people's personal information ("doxing").
  • Minimal uses of Disney branding. We've removed all POTC skull iconography from the game (with the exception of the GM tag, which is a point of contention within staff as it is)
    • I say minimal because we still have Jack Sparrow and other movie characters, as well as movie music that was used in-game.
  • Moving our domain to tlopo.com, so it seems less like we're trying to pass off as "piratesonline.com" and leech possible Disney traffic.
  • Avoiding referring to ourselves as "Pirates Online," as that was the Disney game. We are TLOPO, a remake that has no relation to Disney or the POTC brand officially.
  • Making sure no new content added to the game uses ideas, concepts, or visuals from the films.
    • This means no Silent Mary, Captain Salazar, Angelica, Mermaids (with the specific design used in OST, that is), Whitecap Bay, Poseidon's Trident, Henry Turner/Carina Smyth, Syrena/Philip, etc. I could keep going, but you get the point.
    • One exception: The Kraken and/or Davy Jones. Considering Disney has resources, animations, and code remnants for the pair within the POTCO client, we consider that fair game.
      • This is NOT a confirmation that we're working on the Kraken. In fact, it's quite the opposite right now. No work has been done on the Kraken, but we do have Disney's original animations and models from their various different attempts at making the beastie a reality.
      • I suppose another exception would be Singapore, since it's a real geographical location. However, we'd have to make sure we don't rip off the movie completely if we do add it. And we wouldn't be able to have Sao Feng or his bathhouse. Again, this isn't a confirmation that we're working on this. We aren't. I'm speaking in hypotheticals.
  • Explicit terminology on our main page and social media stating we are a free fan remake.
  • Explicitly releasing Disney from any liability as per our Terms of Service.
  • Never charging players for anything or profiting off the game in ANY way, be that YouTube revenue, in-game or in-site advertisements.
  • Staying small and off of major gaming platforms like Steam as to not be in direct competition with any officially licensed Disney video games.
  • Having semi-regular, friendly contact with certain individuals who have advocated on our behalf. I won't go into more detail for privacy reasons.
  • Making security our top priority.
    • Minimal personal information being shared within our system.
    • Encrypted and secure password and account information storage.
      • I'm not the expert here. If you, @Shamus The Brute, or anyone else wants a larger explanation, I'm sure one of our many users of the @The Crew account could further explain.
To be clear, none of this guarantees that Disney won't shut us down at any given second. But we're doing everything we can, and are very meticulous about it.

WELL, that has certainly been quite the essay. Didn't intend it to be that long. And this will be the last I'll say on this matter in this thread. This discussion is already quite active elsewhere, and if you, @Shamus The Brute, have any further questions regarding how to approach this remake from a legal standpoint, I recommend using your own RevivePOTCO thread and tagging myself, OR making a new thread entirely. I do not want to derail this discussion, so instead, I'm going to focus on technical or misc. questions that are posted in here from now on.

I've tried to answer every question I can in this thread. If I haven't responded to you, it's because it's not my field of expertise and I wouldn't be very insightful on that subject (ex: critical chance).

Last edited:
  • Making security our top priority.
    • Minimal personal information being shared within our system.
    • Encrypted and secure password and account information storage.
      • I'm not the expert here. If you, @Shamus The Brute, or anyone else wants a larger explanation, I'm sure one of our many users of the @The Crew account could further explain.
Hi!

I can go into more detail on this. There's quite a few things to talk about security wise.

First, in the original game, Disney had coded practically everything such that it was entirely dependent on client trust. This is a terrible idea for security, because you're basically taking everything the client says and just trust it. Buying a legendary from a shop that doesn't sell it? Sure thing, Disney's shop system would just give it to the player! You can see how this kind of issue caused hundreds of vulnerabilities in the game, and we have gone through and redesigned a lot of how these old systems behave to fix all of these vulnerabilities - as well as taken further steps to continue protecting the game.

Second, we have developed several core systems which monitor in-game activity and are smart enough to detect whether a player is attempting to hack the game. Should our systems detect a hacker, they will instantly terminate the offending player if the server is beyond a reasonable doubt that the player is a hacker; or it will notify our moderation department if it is unsure. For example, if you try to do the exploit I mentioned above, the server will auto terminate your account and place a friendly log for our system administrators to review.

Third, the game files downloaded by the launcher are encrypted - this includes the game's code and phase files (textures, models, and music). The purpose of this is to make it so the contents of the files cannot be returned back to a human readable form. We do this to add additional security to the game, as well as make it so we are not distributing Disney's resources (or our own) in a manner that others can steal them. It is because of this encryption why players cannot extract the TLOPO phase files as they could on POTCO. We feel that they can go download them somewhere else, especially since they're easily locatable elsewhere on the internet with a simple Google search.

Fourth, as an aside, we have rewritten major parts of the original game's client. It is to the point that some systems are completely unrecognizable from how they were before. Disney did not really do that great of a job coding POTCO anyway, there's tons of bugs everywhere that we discover daily. We've fixed countless bugs that Disney never did, and have also added tons of new content over the years along the way - and have so much more new content coming in 2020. This lobby system alone is making us rethink entirely how the game can go forward and grow into something bigger and better, players can expect to see a lot of really cool game modes in the coming future.

Lastly, in the Pypperoni update, we're taking the security of the downloaded game to a whole new level: Absolutely no Python code will be in the downloaded game. The Pypperoni compiler converts all of the Python code into its equivalent C API code. Because of this, we will no longer be distributing the client code in a Python form. It will be compiled C code, which is unmeasurably difficult to recover - and in some ways impossible.

Yours Truely,
Some guy who works on the TLOPO dev team as a coder.

Last edited:
Should our systems detect a hacker, they will instantly terminate the offending player if the server is beyond a reasonable doubt that the player is a hacker; or it will notify our moderation department if it is unsure.
Someone tripped a failsafe this morning associated with avatar skills. This is one of the notifications we received when that player was auto terminated from the game earlier this morning:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.16.16 AM.png

As an aside, this notice will also appear for traditional bans and mutes.

What triggers this failsafe is if a player deliberately tries to use a skill on a weapon that's reserved for a completely different weapon or NPC. An example of this kind of activity is a player trying to shoot the explosive cannon ammo out of a flintlock pistol, or perhaps a player trying to use sweep on a Voodoo Doll.

Remember when there were crowds randomly being knocked out on Tortuga? There was a player who found this sneaky little exploit and started using high powered skills which are reserved for NPCs, like Jolly Roger, on players locally. Because the skill was a NPC skill, the system just trusted that it was a NPC dealing damage.

Because the system just assumed the attacker was a NPC, it completely bypassed all of our PvP glitch checks and let the player kill everyone on the island. This issue was implicit to how Disney coded the skills system, we have since rewritten a huge chunk of this system to fix these critical design flaws; and have also added dozens of server-sided integrity checks to further protect against any form of misuse of skills.

We've been extremely proactive about identifying these issues in the Disney game before a nefarious player will. Sometimes they find these issues before we, but this is why we have testers who specifically go into QA and try to hack the game. If they discover something, they report it to us and we fix it.

Last edited:
There have been two very lengthy downtimes within the last month. Did your team anticipate that these downtimes would be necessary? Should players expect that there will be more 48+ hour downtimes in the future? If so, how frequent will they be?

Last edited:
There have been two very lengthy downtimes within the last month. Did your team anticipate that these downtimes would be necessary? Should players expect that there will be more 48+ hour downtimes in the future? If so, how frequent will they be?
Hi!

tl;dr. The downtime today was a complete accident and I am the sole individual responsible for it.

We have been in the process of migrating our servers over to a much more sophisticated and scalable solution for the game. The new servers utilize top of the line industry hardware, and are all-around a really darn good improvement for the game. As an aside, we are currently designing multiple new game modes that take advantage of the sheer amount of computational power we now have at our disposal, and it's just absolutely incredible to me that we are actually able to achieve this.

The two downtimes are completely separate from each other, and occurred for different reasons. The first downtime was so we could begin the initial migration from our old infrastructure to the new infrastructure I just described above. We had planned this strategically such that we could migrate the most important parts of the server's core systems first, such that every subsequent migration could happen in the background without affecting anything. This would mean that players would have no idea that these migrations were even happening as they were playing.

This brings us to the second downtime which occurred today. Last week, a fellow sysadmin and I were doing maintenance on the servers. When we are doing maintenance, we plan out our work in phases; and each phase is marked with a final goal. We set achievable goals to make it so we can work on the servers and complete everything we plan on doing in one day tops. What happened was we got 95% of the way complete, but ran out of time. Because of the preparation work we did in the first scheduled downtime, we were able to safely leave the servers as-is and come back to it at a later time (which was originally planned for later this week).

There's only one caveat to this: In the interim between reaching checkpoints, we are unable to deploy an update because the infrastructure is incomplete. Well, you can probably guess what I accidentally did. It's quite honestly extremely embarrassing and foolish on my part. Considering we had gotten so far, I forgot we didn't finish migrating everything.

We had a minor update which we had to release, it was related to the winter holiday event which just started. We had a crash that would occur when entering 3 specific in-game locations. Super minor update, we waited until it was late so we could deploy this at a time when it wouldn't impact players as badly. I submitted the code changes to the production branch, logged into the servers, went to the deployment node, and invoked the deployer.

When I ran that deployment script, it dropped a nuke on the servers and left the entire infrastructure in an invalid state. Everything was effectively deadlocked. Absolutely nothing would respond. This happened at 1AM today, it is now almost 11:30PM; almost 23 hours of downtime, from literally a one-line command issued to the servers. I essentially ordered the system to self-destruct.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but it's been a busy day. We're ensuring now that nothing else is broken before we open it all back up for everyone, just to make sure.

As I write this, there are 3 servers that are still in an invalid state and refusing to post. I am likely going to need to reinstall those servers, but I don't have several hours to dedicate to them right now; another sysadmin is working on that and will hopefully have them up later tonight. Thankfully, these servers are redundant; they are oceans that are available to select from the server dropdown. Because of this, we are not allowing the absence of these 3 servers to hold us up from opening back up for everyone.

We're going to be giving out some redemption codes because of the outages. We genuinely feel awful about them. Historically, we have not been prone to outages; we have a very good track record on uptime - especially when compared to POTCO. We pride ourselves on this.

I take this kind of incident personally, especially when I was the sole one responsible. But it comes with the trade, I wouldn't be in this industry if it wasn't interesting to me.

Respectfully,
Sysadmin

EDIT:
The servers are back online as of 12/5/2019 @ 12:38AM. The 3 districts that were offline earlier are still offline. We will be adding these back as soon as they are fixed.

Last edited:
Hi!

tl;dr. The downtime today was a complete accident and I am the sole individual responsible for it.

We're going to be giving out some redemption codes because of the outages. We genuinely feel awful about them. Historically, we have not been prone to outages; we have a very good track record on uptime - especially when compared to POTCO. We pride ourselves on this.

I take this kind of incident personally, especially when I was the sole one responsible. But it comes with the trade, I wouldn't be in this industry if it wasn't interesting to me.

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your transparency, and I'm sure others do as well. I think we forget sometimes that the great minds behind this game are HUMANS and stuff happens. Y'all are amazing and I hope you know that we all appreciate you!
Honestly, a little break from the game sometimes isn't such a bad thing haha. Have a great night and don't worry, we'll be here when the game gets back.

Hi!

We have been in the process of migrating our servers over to a much more sophisticated and scalable solution for the game. The new servers utilize top of the line industry hardware, and are all-around a really darn good improvement for the game. As an aside, we are currently designing multiple new game modes that take advantage of the sheer amount of computational power we now have at our disposal, and it's just absolutely incredible to me that we are actually able to achieve this.

The two downtimes are completely separate from each other, and occurred for different reasons. The first downtime was so we could begin the initial migration from our old infrastructure to the new infrastructure I just described above. We had planned this strategically such that we could migrate the most important parts of the server's core systems first, such that every subsequent migration could happen in the background without affecting anything. This would mean that players would have no idea that these migrations were even happening as they were playing.

This brings us to the second downtime which occurred today. Last week, a fellow sysadmin and I were doing maintenance on the servers. When we are doing maintenance, we plan out our work in phases; and each phase is marked with a final goal. We set achievable goals to make it so we can work on the servers and complete everything we plan on doing in one day tops. What happened was we got 95% of the way complete, but ran out of time. Because of the preparation work we did in the first scheduled downtime, we were able to safely leave the servers as-is and come back to it at a later time (which was originally planned for later this week).

There's only one caveat to this: In the interim between reaching checkpoints, we are unable to deploy an update because the infrastructure is incomplete. Well, you can probably guess what I accidentally did. It's quite honestly extremely embarrassing and foolish on my part. Considering we had gotten so far, I forgot we didn't finish migrating everything.

We had a minor update which we had to release, it was related to the winter holiday event which just started. We had a crash that would occur when entering 3 specific in-game locations. Super minor update, we waited until it was late so we could deploy this at a time when it wouldn't impact players as badly. I submitted the code changes to the production branch, logged into the servers, went to the deployment node, and invoked the deployer.

When I ran that deployment script, it dropped a nuke on the servers and left the entire infrastructure in an invalid state. Everything was effectively deadlocked. Absolutely nothing would respond. This happened at 1AM today, it is now almost 11:30PM; almost 23 hours of downtime, from literally a one-line command issued to the servers. I essentially ordered the system to self-destruct.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but it's been a busy day. We're ensuring now that nothing else is broken before we open it all back up for everyone, just to make sure.

As I write this, there are 3 servers and are still in an invalid state and are refusing to post. I am likely going to need to reinstall those servers, but I don't have a several hours to dedicate to them right now; another sysadmin is working on that and will hopefully have them up later tonight. Thankfully, these servers are redundant; they are oceans that are available to select from the server dropdown. Because of this, we are not allowing the absence of these 3 servers to hold us up from opening back up for everyone.

Respectfully,
Sysadmin
so does this mean we shouldn't expect a server migrate and the new and improved hardware for awhile now?

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your transparency, and I'm sure others do as well. I think we forget sometimes that the great minds behind this game are HUMANS and stuff happens. Y'all are amazing and I hope you know that we all appreciate you!
Honestly, a little break from the game sometimes isn't such a bad thing haha. Have a great night and don't worry, we'll be here when the game gets back.
Agreed, and well written.

Thank you, it means a lot.

so does this mean we shouldn't expect a server migrate and the new and improved hardware for awhile now?
Well, an unintentional side effect of this incident is now that we are slightly ahead of schedule. But that said, our website and many other core systems are already running on this new infrastructure. We actually had a few bugs in the website's configuration which caused some launcher issues, you may have experienced these depending on what server you connected to.

At this time, we have fully deployed our internal quality assurance server onto the new server; all of production's logging; the prod game server database; the web server database; the entire TLOPO website and all packages associated, such as the account server and download server; as well as all the processing of all in-game stats (i.e. when you defeat an enemy, we record a stat that an enemy was killed).

What's holding us up right now is the final touches on the Pypperoni client. This is such a massive update, and there's a few more things left to work on. Then, we need to have the client tested by large amounts of players, which is why we've decided to release a Test Server. Once the client is fully tested on the Test Server, we will be releasing it onto production.

This is the exact roadmap. It's difficult to place a date, but it's our fullest intention to try and get it out by the end of the year. Whether that will happen or not is still unknown.

Thank you, it means a lot.

Well, an unintentional side effect of this incident is now that we are slightly ahead of schedule. But that said, our website and many other core systems are already running on this new infrastructure. We actually had a few bugs in the website's configuration which caused some launcher issues, you may have experienced these depending on what server you connected to.

At this time, we have fully deployed our internal quality assurance server onto the new server; all of production's logging; the prod game server database; the web server database; the entire TLOPO website and all packages associated, such as the account server and download server; as well as all the processing of all in-game stats (i.e. when you defeat an enemy, we record a stat that an enemy was killed).

What's holding us up right now is the final touches on the Pypperoni client. This is such a massive update, and there's a few more things left to work on. Then, we need to have the client tested by large amounts of players, which is why we've decided to release a Test Server. Once the client is fully tested on the Test Server, we will be releasing it onto production.

This is the exact roadmap. It's difficult to place a date, but it's our fullest intention to try and get it out by the end of the year. Whether that will happen or not is still unknown.
thanks, lookin forward to seeing the new system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back