TLOPO Q/A Thread

1. We've stated before that we won't be doing any new movie characters in any fashion, for copyright security. When it comes to Davy Jones, we think one day he WOULD be possible, since the models for him were included in the game's files. No immediate plans though.
(TLDR: Davy Jones maybe, Blackbeard no)
Since I do not know, I need clarification (so as to not make a 'mistake' to just assume things contrary to what is actually going on).
  1. Didn't TLOPO keep implemented the movie characters of Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, Joshamee Gibbs, and Tia Dalma into the game?
  2. If the above is true, what is the added risk in just adding Davy Jones into the mix (being that with him too there exists files inside the game for his character)
  3. Since the character Black Beard was a historical person, why would such a character matter given BB was just someone the studio tried to portray to spice up one particular movie of theirs? (It would be the same as a game trying to pay homage to Kobe Bryant within a 'basketball' genre type game).
Thank you.

Since the character Black Beard was a historical person, why would such a character matter given BB was just someone the studio tried to portray to spice up one particular movie of theirs? (It would be the same as a game trying to pay homage to Kobe Bryant within a 'basketball' genre type game).
I suggested Black Beard in the post above that.. Due to his ship being in the game although it is out for maintenance currently..

Since I do not know, I need clarification (so as to not make a 'mistake' to just assume things contrary to what is actually going on).
  1. Didn't TLOPO keep implemented the movie characters of Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, Joshamee Gibbs, and Tia Dalma into the game?
  2. If the above is true, what is the added risk in just adding Davy Jones into the mix (being that with him too there exists files inside the game for his character)
  3. Since the character Black Beard was a historical person, why would such a character matter given BB was just someone the studio tried to portray to spice up one particular movie of theirs? (It would be the same as a game trying to pay homage to Kobe Bryant within a 'basketball' genre type game).
Thank you.

I believe I answered your questions in a previous post here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-q-a-thread.29245/post-382447

I believe I answered your questions in a previous post here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-q-a-thread.29245/post-382447
Thank you. I had only wanted to receive clarity because you mentioned/had inputted, "copyright security" into your answer in response to the question asked prior about Davy Jones. (In reality, 'all' film characters should fall into the realm of TLOPO's stance - then. Davy Jones should pose no higher risk, in fact, than use of Jack Sparrow within the game).

Would be interesting to have Black Beard given the suggestion, in game, of his QAR. *With no BB expected, can the storyline of QAR be expanded to explain why...unless that has been achieved already?

Would be interesting to have Black Beard given the suggestion, in game, of his QAR. *With no BB expected, can the storyline of QAR be expanded to explain why...unless that has been achieved already?
In Pirates Online canon (lol), the Queen Anne's Revenge is under Jolly Roger's control since he is using voodoo to control LaSchafe (Blackbeard's first mate who is in charge of the ship while Blackbeard is "away.") Don't know if that answered your question.

In Pirates Online canon (lol), the Queen Anne's Revenge is under Jolly Roger's control since he is using voodoo to control LaSchafe (Blackbeard's first mate who is in charge of the ship while Blackbeard is "away.") Don't know if that answered your question.
Given this is a TLOPO thread and not POTCO, it kinda does but kinda don't. Mostly because of the fact that TLOPO has changed some aspects of POTCO to coincide with their goal of creating fresh, new content and storyline. (I also 'had' to ask a question to avoid becoming guilty of going off-topic [ppl are watching]).

How much time has TLOPO been able to devote to the fixing of QAR? (From reading past threads on the subject matter via 'POTCO specific' threads here, it looks like even from the get-go the QAR had issues that I was not readily aware of). Thank you.

Hello, I would like to ask you a few questions:

Q: Are you going to revamp the enemy ships in the game?

• by revamp I mean they are too easy to kill and we definitely need a challenge at sailing.
  • EITC, Navy and Jolly Roger ships could use an upgrade.
Q: There was a trailer back in 2017 I think and we saw a sea dragon, a monster maybe? did you guys abandon that project?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions because I appreciate your hard work for this game! :happy:
- Regards Chris.

Last edited:

• by revamp I mean they are too easy to kill and we definitely need a challenge at sailing.
Q: There was a trailer back in 2017 I think and we saw a sea dragon, a monster maybe? did you guys abandon that project?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions because I appreciate your hard work for this game! :happy:
- Regards Chris.
We want to redo the AI a lot honestly, both land and sea at some point. As for the sea dragon, we ran into some issues when messing around with it, plus there are other pressing things to be handled right now. I’d say it’s tabled but not abandoned for now.

- Regards Chris.
Even if they revamp enemy ships eventually you'll figure out a pattern in which to sink them and it'll be easy again and they did change the enemy ship's ai a couple of years ago for this same reason. I think the enemy ship's ai is fine the way it is and doubt everyone finds it easy to sink them especially low level sailors.

Even if they revamp enemy ships eventually you'll figure out a pattern in which to sink them and it'll be easy again and they did change the enemy ship's ai a couple of years ago for this same reason. I think the enemy ship's ai is fine the way it is and doubt everyone finds it easy to sink them especially low-level sailors.

@Arr you are missing the point here...
My question was if the developers can increase the enemy ships health so they are not weak.
because with a fully upgraded ship and with a crew, they sink fast with is not a challenge at all.

@Arr you are missing the point here...
My question was if the developers can increase the enemy ships health so they are not weak.
because with a fully upgraded ship and with a crew, they sink fast with is not a challenge at all.
You didn't say anything about health though and the whole point of enemy ships that aren't hunters/warships is that you can sink them fast just like how you can kill enemies on land quickly. I really don't see how it'll be challenging to sink ships if the developers just increase the health if anything it'll just take longer to sink ships which would be annoying for low levels and those that want to jump ahead to hunters/warships.

Do the devs go off of the general sense given off by the community as regards to changes, or do you consult a specific group of players for advice on what to do with the game / how to balance it, or do the devs just balance and change based on their own play of the game?

I'm asking, as this last Muertos event was a test, and seemed to not go too handily, and I was just curious as to the process which led to the changes we saw.

Do the devs go off of the general sense given off by the community as regards to changes, or do you consult a specific group of players for advice on what to do with the game / how to balance it, or do the devs just balance and change based on their own play of the game?

I'm asking, as this last Muertos event was a test, and seemed to not go too handily, and I was just curious as to the process which led to the changes we saw.
Depends. When it comes to weapon balancing or things of that nature, we tweak based off feedback from a group of people and then see how it takes shape on our Test Server. If we don’t like it, it goes back to the drawing board. This is why many of our “rumored” weapon changes aren’t on the Live server yet, as they aren’t perfected/done yet.

I’m assuming this question is based off of Muertos though. In this instance the team decided that we wished to return Muertos to how it was in POTCO. Sure, there are some bugs here and there with Muertos but the concept of how it was in POTCO is now restored.

Let's see...
  • The Carrack is going to be added as a playable ship? That old thing...What would make it different from the other ships?
  • I know you said you don't know about adding new ships after it...but is a Ship of the Line possible or do you think it would change too much?
  • Any plans to increase inventory space or add a storage chest of some sorts?
  • Mood Rock pet when?

Let's see...
  • The Carrack is going to be added as a playable ship? That old thing...What would make it different from the other ships?
  • I know you said you don't know about adding new ships after it...but is a Ship of the Line possible or do you think it would change too much?
  • Any plans to increase inventory space or add a storage chest of some sorts?
  • Mood Rock pet when?
We want to expand the inventory, however we can’t do it by adding new inventory pages. When we add more inventory pages, it actually harms everyone’s performance. To get around this, we do want to have some sort of storage chest down the road that players can utilize.

SOTL is always possible but balancing is a concern. It’s not on the table to release any time soon. As for the Carrack, it’ll probably be released eventually. Outside of its looks, it’ll have different stats as well.

Not sure about pets to be honest. They’ve been mentioned before though.

We want to expand the inventory, however we can’t do it by adding new inventory pages. When we add more inventory pages, it actually harms everyone’s performance. To get around this, we do want to have some sort of storage chest down the road that players can utilize.

SOTL is always possible but balancing is a concern. It’s not on the table to release any time soon. As for the Carrack, it’ll probably be released eventually. Outside of its looks, it’ll have different stats as well.

Not sure about pets to be honest. They’ve been mentioned before though.

How could adding more pages affect performance exactly?

How could adding more pages affect performance exactly?
The more items you have in your inventory, the longer it takes to load into the game since it has to load all those items. It might also take up more space on their servers or whatever, but idk for sure - im not a tlopo dev

Back