TLOPO Q/A Thread

Try this post #2.. thanks to bart;

Has there been any talk of going back into the assets and files and continuing to improve the game? It would be really cool to have the original "classic" version, and then a continually improved/remastered version available that pushes the limits with graphical capability, animation, etc…
I'm a professional in the game industry and I would honestly love to go in, improve the quality of not just the models, but the textures, the animation, the lighting, the overall quality, etc…

Is there any leaderboard updates?

Also if it's not for a long ways out, is it possible to just copy paste the top however many into a thread on the forums?

Last edited:
Has there been any talk of going back into the assets and files and continuing to improve the game? It would be really cool to have the original "classic" version, and then a continually improved/remastered version available that pushes the limits with graphical capability, animation, etc…
I'm a professional in the game industry and I would honestly love to go in, improve the quality of not just the models, but the textures, the animation, the lighting, the overall quality, etc…

Hi! If you're interested in working on the game, we recommend applying via this application.

We are slowly working on adding in upscaled textures, among other things, while still maintaining the original POTCO look. :)

Why haven't ocean zones been added? (Windward Passage, etc)

They exist! Look at your world map.

Is there any leaderboard updates?

Also if it's not for a long ways out, is it possible to just copy paste the top however many into a thread on the forums?

Leaderboards are something we really want to make happen. We're taking our time with it to make sure other parts of the game such as PvP are more stable before we release. As for the forum thread idea, that'd be up to our community managers to decide.

I don't mean like that. If I recall correctly, they're supposed to appear on the Compass as well.

That's not the case. Disney changed it starting in 2011 to have the compass always display "The High Seas" and we're sticking with that version.

This is primarily because Disney overhauled something called "Location Constants" in 2011, which essentially manages how names are displayed on the compass and player cards, as well as categorizes locations into different types internally. We wouldn't be able to easily add back the ocean subsections to the compass without rewriting that entire system.

That's not the case. Disney changed it starting in 2011 to have the compass always display "The High Seas" and we're sticking with that version.

This is primarily because Disney overhauled something called "Location Constants" in 2011, which essentially manages how names are displayed on the compass and player cards, as well as categorizes locations into different types internally. We wouldn't be able to easily add back the ocean subsections to the compass without rewriting that entire system.
That's surprising.. especially with areas like Las Pulgas, I'm not sure why they'd remove that area definition. Ah well, it's just a small thing anyways. Thanks, though.

Q: I got a problem with downloading tlopo.exe through launcher, whenever I try to start the game it says: "Couldn't open file for write: tlopo.exe.bz2", tried to find that file in tlopo folder to delete it but it doesn't exist any solutions regarding this ?

Last edited:

I see you got the standard "would you like to join the team apply here" reply. Good luck. They have process issues but I can't get them to discuss those.

What about entering new waters?

There should be an indicator in the middle of the screen that you entered a new region in the form of a fade-in and out of the ocean zone's name: Boiling Bay, Smugglers Run, etc.

I can't speak for the second part but idk if the first part is entirely true. In addition to having the popup message that you entered new waters, the game also had the compass name feature included long after 2011. Im only curious because you can find many videos on youtube showing this feature in the game from 2011 all the way up to the game's closing basically. Anyway, I ♥ u mr dev

What about entering new waters?

There should be an indicator in the middle of the screen that you entered a new region in the form of a fade-in and out of the ocean zone's name: Boiling Bay, Smugglers Run, etc.

I can't speak for the second part but idk if the first part is entirely true. In addition to having the popup message that you entered new waters, the game also had the compass name feature included long after 2011. Im only curious because you can find many videos on youtube showing this feature in the game from 2011 all the way up to the game's closing basically. Anyway, I ♥ u mr dev

The change to permanent "High Seas" on the compass is December 2011. It's honestly crazy how much Disney changed under the hood with the Ship Customization update. Tons of back-end functions were completely overhauled beyond recognition - mostly for the better though, so we can't complain. This is just conjecture on my part, but it seemed like they planned that update to be the starting point for a new rich era of POTCO... before the layoffs and budget cuts in April 2012.

(There's evidence of Scoundrel of the Seas ranks 5 and 6 where the hunters go away and the Kraken appears. Nothing usable though. 😭)

I believe the indicators on the middle of the screen still occur in TLOPO, both at sea and on Kingshead. The ones for Padres were broken long before TLOPO's time, if I recall correctly.

If you could show me footage from 2012/2013 with the compass displaying "Windward Passage" and the like, that'd be great. That'd show us the feature actually exists in the codebase and then we can start hunting for it.

(<3 u 2)

Last edited:
I believe the indicators on the middle of the screen still occur in TLOPO, both at sea and on Kingshead. The ones for Padres were broken long before TLOPO's time, if I recall correctly.

If you could show me footage from 2012/2013 with the compass displaying "Windward Passage" and the like, that'd be great. That'd show us the feature actually exists in the codebase and then we can start hunting for it.
I cant remember ever seeing the indicators in TLOPO. And while currently sailing around from zone to zone i'm not getting anything pop up.
(ty iron thunder)

this one's my favorite lol

You can basically just look up "POTCO sailing" on youtube and try and find one after 2011, or look up "POTCO closing" and just click on any that have ships and the open ocean as the thumbnail.

I cant remember ever seeing the indicators in TLOPO. And while currently sailing around from zone to zone i'm not getting anything pop up.
(ty iron thunder)

this one's my favorite lol

You can basically just look up "POTCO sailing" on youtube and try and find one after 2011, or look up "POTCO closing" and just click on any that have ships and the open ocean as the thumbnail.

♥♥♥

That is FASCINATING! Thank you! Do you know if the player card location list changed in these cases post-2011?

That is FASCINATING! Thank you! Do you know if the player card location list changed in these cases post-2011?
I believe this is what you're asking?
1586096297353.png

From another one of iron thunder's videos. Who knew these would be so handy 7 years later lol

Back