To Browser Or Not To Browser

Do you use a browser to access pirates or are you still rocking the old school launcher?

• Total voters
unfotunatley i have outdated hardware ( Radeon 9200 gc ) and unsupported according to tech support,so i am forced to use the browser :(if anybody can help i'm open to suggestions btw i believe my old pc is a PCI slot user if that helps. i use to play through the old Launcher and it's a no brainer it's better than the browser. now i can't cuz of my gtaphics card.

Using a browser to play the game is just like opening a webpage to do it. Like when you go online shopping.
There is nothing better then playing the game the right way. That means to execute the game launcher just like you do with any other game. I don't even underdtand why they have the browser version. You don't need it, & it only uses more memory resources to run it cuz your opening a browser to play it. It really makes no sence. The more memory resources you have in reserve, the better things run. Having more memory installed on your Motherboard is always a good thing. Years ago, most PC's you purchased from a store only came with a minimum of 512 Megs of on board Ram. When I first started building my own PC's I thought 1 gigabyte of Ram would be more then enough. It was for a while, but not anymore. Today I use no less than 4 Gigs of Ram in all my configurations. Using 4 Gigs you must also install a 64 bit operating system or software. You can't use 4 Gigs of Ram in a 32 bit OS cuz they have a memory limitation of being only able to allocate & use no more than 2 Gigs of Ram.
I hope this was helpfull & interesting. :)

Thanks Vince

unfotunatley i have outdated hardware ( Radeon 9200 gc ) and unsupported according to tech support,so i am forced to use the browser :(if anybody can help i'm open to suggestions btw i believe my old pc is a PCI slot user if that helps. i use to play through the old Launcher and it's a no brainer it's better than the browser. now i can't cuz of my gtaphics card.

Hi Molly, When was the last time you looked for a graphics card driver update from the manufactures website? Driver updates are written all the time from nvidia.com for my Nvidia Geforce graphics card, I mean I have to go to the website & look for an updated driver at least once a month for a new revision for my model number. They make changes in the programing & do improvments all the time. I just did it last week. Nvidia had found out that the last driver was creating some slight over heatinf issues with some older cards. I use nothing but Nvidia GPU's when I build.
I must tell you that PCI slot use for graphics cards today is quite old technology. Now it's "PCIE" short for PCI express. It's a different type of slot & it runs on a different bandwidth & buss. Telling me your card is in a PCI slot tells me your Mother Board is quite old. But you could still look for a driver update. Be sure you look for info on how to properly uninstall the old driver & install the new one, If not done right, you could run into some problems.
There is a chance that a new driver for your card could clear up your problem. ATI Radeon does things thier way & you must follow thier instructions. You should be able to find out what you need to know by doing some homework. I know they want you to use a utility or application to remove the old driver before you install the new one. Do a Google search & type in "How to uninstall & reinstall ATI Radeon GPU/Graphics card drivers" You should be able to find out what you need to know. GPU is short for "Graphics processing unit". Give it a go & see what happens.
I hope it clears it up for you. It may or may not. Good luck :)
EDIT (Nov 15, 2010 8:21 AM):
You have to keep up with your driver updates. I downloaded & installed an updated driver last week. Now POTC runs even better, You never know when the Dev's will have the Techs update a driver cuz they find the last one caused slight little glitches or slight lag that you may or may not notice. Sometimes it takes a trained eye to see these little bugs or imperfections.

This thread got me thinking that maybe there is still yet a way to get the launcher as the browser seems like it's more unstable way of playing for me. Much more crashes than I had before I started using the browser. Well, last night in poking around...I FOUND THE DOWNLOAD FOR THE LAUNCHER! Imagine my joy and surprise! Well, for those that would rather the launcher on a newer computer but don't know where to get it, follow the way!

1. Go to the pirates home page.
2. On the left hand side, click on "Help"
3. Click on the respective link that would apply to you:
  • "Download for PC"
  • "Download for Mac"

And that's it! You just follow the set up instructions and update your launcher and then you're good to go!

Yaaaaay!!!!!! ~(>'.')> <('.'<)~

This thread got me thinking that maybe there is still yet a way to get the launcher as the browser seems like it's more unstable way of playing for me. Much more crashes than I had before I started using the browser. Well, last night in poking around...I FOUND THE DOWNLOAD FOR THE LAUNCHER! Imagine my joy and surprise! Well, for those that would rather the launcher on a newer computer but don't know where to get it, follow the way!

1. Go to the pirates home page.
2. On the left hand side, click on "Help"
3. Click on the respective link that would apply to you:
  • "Download for PC"
  • "Download for Mac"
And that's it! You just follow the set up instructions and update your launcher and then you're good to go!

Yaaaaay!!!!!! ~(>'.')> <('.'<)~
I like ur hugging thingies ^^^^ :eek:

Important info about the game download.
This problem happend to me & another friend at different times. within the last 3 weeks. I download the game the same way Meg explains how to get it. This never happened before in the past, but what happen this time was, I get the download, & save it to a folder. I launch the installer application & all seems fine. The data download gets to about 98%, & I get an on screen msg stating "There was a problem starting POTC". The game would not run. The reason for this was because at the time I launched it, Disney had the servers shut down for maintenance.
There was no indication of this on this screen. I realized what was going on when I went to the main Disney website & saw the msg there that the servers were down for maintenance.
Got to tell ya, this drove me crazy thinking there was something wrong with my PC or that the download itself had become corrupt for some reason. I was lucky to make the move to go to the website & find out. I got to say it scared me a bit. The next day it worked. Incase you ever see this, I just had to share it with you.

I used to use the launcher, but later moved to the browser for reasons not necessarily pertaining to the game. In the last couple weeks I switched back to the launcher because I couldn't take pics from the browser :(

Back