To Browser Or Not To Browser

Do you use a browser to access pirates or are you still rocking the old school launcher?

• Total voters

Johnny Mak

Lead Mod
I realized something while the maintenance went on...ALOT of you seemed to not be able to get in through the browser even after i was back on Pirates so i'm interested to know which you are using

I use the launcher, but recently downloaded the browser version as well to try it out. Someone had told me the browser version was much faster and better. I guess it must be different for everyone because I found it to be much slower and laggy, whereas in the launcher browser I didn't have that problem. Well, unless I went to Abassa, which I try to avoid.lol

I have the old software which I love! I tried the browser version but I find it slower to download and more lag. Also for me the browser version takes longer to log in on.

I have the game on two different computers I use the launcher on one system and browser on the other. I use the browser on the system that I play POTCO the most on.

Igor say Igor still use the Launcher as a good mate advised Igor that it used less CPU. Igor say CPU usage a big crashing problem on CD !!

I would never use a browser for any online game. I see a big difference in graphics & overall speed between them. The launcher wins hands down. You also need to remember, everything really depends on the configuration of your system,"Whats inside". Then your ISP "Internet Service Provider" plays the second important role. Full broadband service is the only way to go with online gaming. DSL "High speed phone line" is only half as fast as full broadband. Then you have the elite services & connections like "T1,T2,T3. I'm not too sure about how good Fios "Fibre optic service" is. I dont know the specs atm, I'm doing more homework on it. Anything above basic full broadband will cost you even more. Then they have different speeds to choose from & the price range here in NY starts at $55.00 a month & up to $75.00 for faster up & down stream service just for full broadband. I can only imagine what a T1,2 or 3 connection would cost.
A great configuration & network connection is the key. You can have 2 PC's built exactly the same. Have #1 use full broadband, & #2 use a T1 or better connection. #2 will win the race due to the faster connection. Was this helpfull?

I would never use a browser for any online game. I see a big difference in graphics & overall speed between them. The launcher wins hands down. You also need to remember, everything really depends on the configuration of your system,"Whats inside". Then your ISP "Internet Service Provider" plays the second important role. Full broadband service is the only way to go with online gaming. DSL "High speed phone line" is only half as fast as full broadband. Then you have the elite services & connections like "T1,T2,T3. I'm not too sure about how good Fios "Fibre optic service" is. I dont know the specs atm, I'm doing more homework on it. Anything above basic full broadband will cost you even more. Then they have different speeds to choose from & the price range here in NY starts at $55.00 a month & up to $75.00 for faster up & down stream service just for full broadband. I can only imagine what a T1,2 or 3 connection would cost.
A great configuration & network connection is the key. You can have 2 PC's built exactly the same. Have #1 use full broadband, & #2 use a T1 or better connection. #2 will win the race due to the faster connection. Was this helpfull?

Very helpful and useful information, thanks for sharing that. I'm not computer knowledgeable at all so I enjoy reading posts like this, they really help. :piratemickey:

Hi Charlotte, Thank you for the comment. If I can be of help to anyone, I'm greatfull.
I enjoy doing what I do & some things & problems can be a real challenge. Years ago, I didn't know anything about PC's. I was always curious about how they work & the thought of learning anything about PC's didn't come to life for me untill one day I used Google & typed in "How to build a PC". A great deal of knowledge opened up right there with plenty of text info & pictorial diagrams. I dove right in & started learning little by little. I built my 1st PC about 17 years ago.
I felt like Dr. Frankenstien, lol. I created my own notebook with the text info & pictorial diagrams I printed out from the internet & went to work. I'll never forget what happened the very first time I booted it up & went into the Bios & made the correct date, time, & optimized settings & continued on. I sat there at my work bench with my jaw dropped. It was so funny to me when, in my mind I said "It's alive" lol. It worked great. From there I went on to learn even more. You can always learn something new. It never ends.

I have the launcher on my old laptop and browser for my new laptop. Unfortunately about two months ago, I couldn't get my old laptop to start up so I've been on browser against my will. Ah, but alas I must still satisfy my craving to live the life of a pirate.

So, yes, I'm using the browser but I will attest that the launcher is waaaay better.

Very helpful and useful information, thanks for sharing that. I'm not computer knowledgeable at all so I enjoy reading posts like this, they really help. :piratemickey:

Can you explain the difference between a browser and launcher.
EDIT (Nov 14, 2010 10:34 PM):
Hi Charlotte, Thank you for the comment. If I can be of help to anyone, I'm greatfull.
I enjoy doing what I do & some things & problems can be a real challenge. Years ago, I didn't know anything about PC's. I was always curious about how they work & the thought of learning anything about PC's didn't come to life for me untill one day I used Google & typed in "How to build a PC". A great deal of knowledge opened up right there with plenty of text info & pictorial diagrams. I dove right in & started learning little by little. I built my 1st PC about 17 years ago.
I felt like Dr. Frankenstien, lol. I created my own notebook with the text info & pictorial diagrams I printed out from the internet & went to work. I'll never forget what happened the very first time I booted it up & went into the Bios & made the correct date, time, & optimized settings & continued on. I sat there at my work bench with my jaw dropped. It was so funny to me when, in my mind I said "It's alive" lol. It worked great. From there I went on to learn even more. You can always learn something new. It never ends.

I asked charlotte what the difference is between a browser and launcher for the game. Can you explain, this is my first online game.

Using a browser to play the game is just like opening a webpage to do it. Like when you go online shopping.
There is nothing better then playing the game the right way. That means to execute the game launcher just like you do with any other game. I don't even underdtand why they have the browser version. You don't need it, & it only uses more memory resources to run it cuz your opening a browser to play it. It really makes no sence. The more memory resources you have in reserve, the better things run. Having more memory installed on your Motherboard is always a good thing. Years ago, most PC's you purchased from a store only came with a minimum of 512 Megs of on board Ram. When I first started building my own PC's I thought 1 gigabyte of Ram would be more then enough. It was for a while, but not anymore. Today I use no less than 4 Gigs of Ram in all my configurations. Using 4 Gigs you must also install a 64 bit operating system or software. You can't use 4 Gigs of Ram in a 32 bit OS cuz they have a memory limitation of being only able to allocate & use no more than 2 Gigs of Ram.
I hope this was helpfull & interesting. :)

The only good thing about the browser is its easier to do other stuff while playing and minimize the game without having lag while its minimized

I rock the old school launcher! Thank you Vince for all your insights.

Back