Discussion Today's update

Status
Not open for further replies.
"
2018-9-21 tlopo-rc-v1.18.1
Features
  • Ship captains now have the ability to kick shipmates off of their ship outside of SvS. AFK players can be kicked at any point in time. Non-AFK players can be kicked, but the captain must wait 5 minutes before kicking additional non-AFK players again. Players who are kicked from a ship cannot return for the length of the voyage. The ship kicking ability can be found under the "Take Action" button on player profiles.
  • TLOPO now supports Discord's Rich Presence API. Other Discord users will be able to see your activity and location in-game!
Bugfixes
  • Fixed a district reset with reviving another player.
  • Fixed an issue causing AOE attacks and swords to not damage enemies or players in PvP. Unfortunately, this change also reverts Spanish and French enemies to their original condition with having infinite range.
  • The crew HUD will now display when a player is AFK, on a cannon, or in a PvP match.
Maintenance
  • Code cleanup.
  • Localizer tweaks.
"

Jim... mate... we ran into each other yesterday... I know your a swell guy, but honestly here, how is afking on a ship is not rewarding in the slightest? Do you not get famed, gold, and materials from it? Do you really think that no policing is required? It doesn't have to be extreme as a kick option, but you really think there is absolutely no problem at all with afkers? We can continue the conversation in the current afk thread.
I do believe that booting people off the ship is not the right answer. As Beggar stated before, an afk timer would be more appropriate.

What would really be the point of trading then? It would be so anticlimactic to not be able to trade Fames/Legendaries. What I mean is, it wouldn't be worth the effort to add to the game at that point, in my opinion.
lots of people want to trade clothing and im honestly not really that opposed to trading famed anyway

Just to try to clear things up a bit, you must wait 5 minutes between kicking players who are not AFK to prevent abuse. Kicking AFK players does not incur a cool-down. This is detailed in the release notes.
Wouldn't you think, based on the typical time of a mat run, that the timing between non afk kicks move up to a higher number, such as 15 or 20 minutes?

I think the time to kick non afk players need to be decreased, or the time to be afk needs to be decreased. If we look at battlefront 2s problem with afkers, players can be crafty to circumnavigate the problem, putting stuff on there keyboard to spin forever or even downloading macros. Not to mention this game has a auto run feature which I imagine players will just toggle on and run in a random corner of the ship forever. Either way this is a great update, big thanks to the devs for listening to feedback and trying to find a middle ground for everyone.

Basically there is nothing to stop a captain getting full loot, then kicking someone everyone with 5 minutes in between and porting alone. What's their alternative? TP away, and they don't get loot. Or stay and be kicked, and not get loot. It's ridiculous, and will be abused.
I think its alright the way it is because it will surely attract a lot of reports and result in a temp ban of some sort, but kicking wasnt my first choice to fix this.

Basically there is nothing to stop a captain getting full loot, then kicking someone everyone with 5 minutes in between and porting alone. What's their alternative? TP away, and they don't get loot. Or stay and be kicked, and not get loot. It's ridiculous, and will be abused.
Okay, and captains being unable to do anything about players on their ships who don't contribute is also ridiculous and will also be abused. Give it a chance. Kicking a full crew before porting would take nearly an hour in most cases. Further adjustments can be made if the abuse rate is high, but it's silly to defer putting out something in search of a perfect solution. It's better to at least try something and adjust it as necessary.

Personally, I'd imagine the few people who would actually abuse this feature would be weeded out rather quickly anyways.

Okay, and captains being unable to do anything about players on their ships who don't contribute is also ridiculous and will also be abused. Give it a chance. Kicking a full crew before porting would take nearly an hour in most cases. Further adjustments can be made if the abuse rate is high, but it's silly to defer putting out something in search of a perfect solution. It's better to at least try something and adjust it as necessary.

Personally, I'd imagine the few people who would actually abuse this feature would be weeded out rather quickly anyways.
Exactly. This new feature is perfect, save for a time adjustment if need be.

Think about it: if you sail under a captain who kicks everyone to get better loot for his/herself, would you ever sail under that captain again? And how many pirates in this game do you know who you think would even do that?

Not to mention, most pirates sail within the guild. Especially for mat runs. Guild rules will be updated to prevent abuse of the kick feature, and the community will adapt.

Last edited:
I echo Davy and Edward's sentiments. Sometimes the better option to solve community issues is to let the community handle it themselves. Not to say that the team does not care what happens with this, but the developers should not have to create checks and mechanisms to solve a purely social issue. Players should, and will, hold each other accountable. I think it will become evident who the good and bad captains are.

I think its alright the way it is because it will surely attract a lot of reports and result in a temp ban of some sort, but kicking wasnt my first choice to fix this.
Well considering using a feature of the game isn't against the terms of use, I would sure hope nobody gets banned for it. I'd literally uninstall the game if I got banned for using a feature that the devs thought was so desperately wanted/needed.

I'd literally uninstall the game if I got banned for using a feature that the devs thought was so desperately wanted/needed.
You're not going to get banned lol, why are you dissing the devs? The community has been begging for this for literally 10 years. I'll be happy to direct you to a dozen threads on this forum asking for the feature the devs finally gave us. So get mad at the community, not the devs.

Last edited:
You're not going to get banned lol, why are you dissing the devs? The community has been begging for this for literally 10 years. I'll be happy to direct you to a dozen threads on this forum asking for the feature the devs finally gave us. So get mad at the community, not the devs.
It's a mixture of both. A small vocal minority has wanted this feature, however everyone I've spoken to besides on the forums have been against it. So no, everyone has not been asking for it. I'm also not dissing the devs, simply trying to hold them accountable which no one else seems to want to do. Just because this is voluntary, does not mean there should not be a standard. Avoiding fixing bugs and big aspects of the game to add features that don't matter is irresponsible, and shouldn't be happening. However, everyone would rather worship them than try and get some sort of accountability. I don't dislike the devs, I dislike their priorities and lack of communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back