Idea Trading Marketplace

What are your thoughts on this idea?

• Total voters

Momo

Buccaneer
I have an idea for a trading marketplace.

This is sort of an alternate way to trade/sell items to other players.
When I think of trading, I imagine two players having to meet up somewhere, initiating a trade, and both parties accepting it.

This new idea of mine is to have a whole marketplace, where you don't need to meet the player to trade with them.
If this is already the idea the devs have for trading, great! If not, oh well.

Let's start with my mental image of how it will physically look.
I'm thinking of a new building, made out of one of the empty/useless buildings on Tortuga and Port Royal.
A sign out front that looks something like this would be pretty cool.
qGMtYWq.png

(The chest in this pic is a stock image, so if this becomes a real thing, don't use this pic)

wB7HNb1.jpg

hbDcJIm.jpg

You walk in, and you're greeted by an NPC that you can interact with.
When you interact with him, you're given the option to Sell or Buy an item.

Here are some poorly-made mockup menus:
efGIUlE.png

fPoKv04.png

Oxu82cu.png

Ne04lEt.png

Being able to perform a trade means having the required items and amount of gold, of course.
All of the active listings will have the seller's name next to it, so you know who you're buying from.

The listings would of course be made by players who want to get rid of their item, whether it be for gold, another item, or both.

This would be more profitable for the player than if they were to just sell their item to a regular NPC merchant.
(Assuming that this doesn't shift the economy so much that resell values are higher than market values)

In case you missed it, there's a poll above this post so you can vote your thoughts on the idea.

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
While I do enjoy the idea you've put forth here, I feel this is more reminiscent of an auction house from similar MMO's, such as MapleStory, Black Desert Online, and the likes. While this might be a neat inclusion down the road, I feel as a basis for trading (or a general player economy/market), this is without purpose as a start, as there wouldn't be very many items applicable to this system.

Trades are done in real time to avoid scamming, and the problem with static auction houses is that unless you can pick a WTTF (Want to Trade For), it's a little bit risky to be putting items up without a certain set of rules or jurisdictions that can be used to set guidelines and rules of thumb on what items are equal value, and what items are of a lesser, or higher value.

Otherwise, I dig the concept. Very well done in your typing, and I dig the fact that you created a few examples and concept building possibilities too.

unless you can pick a WTTF (Want to Trade For), it's a little bit risky

it's buried in the spoilers and explained in text on an image, but this is part of the idea.

p.s. the idea does come from other mmos, but i've never really played any other ones

Interestingly, we have had discussions about implementing a similar idea to yours! Our marketplace idea encourages trading, but also introduces other new mechanics, such as raw materials. The idea would be that players can loot, barter, or otherwise somehow collect these raw materials and use them to craft your own new personalized weapons, upgrade your existing weapons, and maybe even combine multiple duplicate weapons together to unlock new skills/perks (this gives a purpose to find duplicate legendaries).

Keep a weather eye on the Upcoming Content Spotlight posts for more information on this in the future!

Last edited:
Back