Trading Poll

Should There Be Trading?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry forgot to add the summary, ill be on that now. Thanks for the replies.
EDIT (Feb 27, 2011 at 1:26 PM):
QUICK SUMMARY
Become either a trader, hunter or thief. A trader has the ability to purchase goods with a crew combined and will have to sail from an island to another to sell the goods to obtain profits. Hunters protect the traders and sink the thiefs. A thief must attack a trader and take there loot. Each boats have different weight and speed. Depending on what the speed is, the weight is. The higher speed, the lower commodities it can hold. The slower speed the more commodities it can hold.

Ahoy mateys,
Welcome to my thread.
On this topic we will discuss "Trade".:cool:
PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WITHOUT PERMISSION - fkit59

Table of Contents
I: Introduction​
II: What is "Trade" and who/what will it benefit? , how will it work?​
III: Is this a good idea? (Pros and Cons section)​
IIII: Closing and Credits​
________________________________________​
I: Introduction
I see you have stumbled on my thread. Well, whether you are a guy, girl, pirate, alien, etc you have the right to read and reply to my thread! Everyone should be treated equal during all circumstances. Even in-game! So, sit back. Do some eye warmups and get ready to read.​
I have also added a "Quick summary" section at the end. Feel free to read that if you do not feel like reading the whole thread. (Less detailed if you read the summary)​
II: What is "Trade" and who/what will it benefit? , how will it work?
Trade is popular in many regions of the world. It is happening right now as we speak. Companies, Games, even YOU may be doing it! Although their are many different descriptions for "Trade" I have chosen one to represent what could be happening.​
"the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries: domestic trade; foreign trade." Sources; Dictionary.com

Commodities

• Silk ----------------------------------------- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
  • Driftwood ---------------------------------- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
  • Gold ---------------------------------------- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
  • Silver --------------------------------------- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
  • Leather ------------------------------------- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
  • Gems ; Diamond, Emeralds, Jades, etc. -- Weight : ??? ---- Price: ???
What will the Goods benefit;
  • Economy of an Island
  • Building and Development
  • More soon...
Where do you buy Commodities?

Commodities can be purchased from a vendor that is located around the docks of all islands. (Not remote).
Each Product will have a specific price and will be different according to each Island. This helps build economy and profit at the same time.
For example; Take Port Royal. A rich island with a big population. Most likely a product like, Silk will be cheap. (100 gold).
Now if you go to Padres Del Fuego they will have silk with a price of 200 gold. Due to its remote area and dangerous land-scape they have less people selling them silk, the long boat ride is also a factor.
So if you purchase 10 silk for 100 gold each and sell it to Padres Del Fuego's vendor you will recieve 2000 gold. Thats a good 1000 profit for just bringing goods to a island. But what is the catch? Money won't be this easy!
Some trades require a longer path. Port Royal -> Padres Del Fuego -> Tortuga

If you are a trader you will have a "Green" marked flag above your head when sailing to another island to complete a trade. Your boat no-matter what size will be vulnerable to cannons 50% more. That means if a regular cannon ball hits ANYWHERE on your boat you will recieve 50% more damage then regular.
This is a danger factor and ships will have to be careful and swift on which route to take. Take a smaller boat (sloop), they can sail much faster then a frigate. But the cargo will be smaller. Being in a group of other trading boats is smart!

The battle will not be like SVS where it takes a good 10 gazillion cannon balls to sink a ship. It will be as-if you are fighting a bot that has the same boat as you. You take just as-much damage as they do. Except they are not as smart as you. ;). If you are effected by a fireball the damage will not be increased by 50%, just simply reduced by 20%. This way people won't spam fireballs at you even if you get away and you do not burn to death. ^_^.

Sails on a boat will be effected at a normal rate 1:1. When a sail has been taken down the crew of the ship has the ability to fix the ship. (You cannot fix the ships hull/body during a trade route).

If you are a thief.
Being a thief is a job that can get you lots of money! Your ship will be sailed with a "red" flag above your boat. This indicates you are a thief. If you are a thief you have the ability to be a mercenary and work alone, or go with a crew. If you sink a trading ship you have the ability to either
A: Board the ship
B: Sink it
Option A: The battle will be PvP just as if you boarded a flag ship. You must defeat each member of the team in-order to sink the boat. Each player will be marked with their flag colour over their head to indicate a team-mate or not.Now, before you move on to option B, your wondering why you would ever want to do Option A. With all the extra fighting and tonics wasted. Well. The rewards for Option A is greater than B. B you can say it the "easy way" out. If you do lose the sword-fight the trading ship will resume its trade run and will be invulnerable for 120 seconds. (The ship will also be repaired to full)
You will recieve 25% more loot then if you sank a trading ship.

Option B: SINK IT, SINK IT, SINK IT! Easy way out, and you do not risk of letting the trade ship get away and you still get loot! Yay?

Example; Trading ship has 100 Silk.
You choose Option B: You sink the ship and only recieve 40 silk.
You choose Option A: You win the sword-fight and instead of recieving 40 silk you get 70.

Being a Hunter;
Protect the traders! Thats what you have to do, you will sail with a "Blue" flag over your boat and you will sink the Thiefs that get in the way of the traders.

Boats that are able to carry commodities will be determined on what boat the player has.
Boats that a eligible: Speed 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
-----------------------Weight 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
  • Light Sloop ------ Speed: 10 --- Weight: 3
  • Light Galleon --- Speed: 7 ----- Weight: 4
  • Frigate ----------- Speed: 5 ----- Weight: 6
  • War Galleon ----- Speed: 3 ----- Weight: 8
  • Ship of Line ------ Speed: 1 ------ Weight: 10
Speed: How fast the boat can go , (All boosters such as : Full sail, come about, ramming speed are canceled).

Weight: How much commodities it can hold.

Remember, if you are a trader, travel in groups! Find the safest route you should take where it is less populated.

Safe Route: Slow, less populated
Fast Route: Hot zone, very fast when getting to a island
The loot and shares!​
Depending on how many crew-mates are on your ship and how long they have been on it determines how much the share will be given out.​
Once you port ; example; Port Royal -> Tortuga the profit will be given out to each pirate on the boat.​
Now I know your gonna ask "But that means the captain of the boat will pay for all the commodities and boat rent". I myself has also noticed that. So I changed something up.​
When you go to a Dinghy you will see the normal boat tabs "Own , Friend , Crew, Guild, Public , TRADE" Trade will include both , Traders, Hunters and Thiefs. Each boat background will be the colour of the job.​
You CANNOT join in a boat if it is already 10% into the trade run. This eliminates free-loaders. If a player on your boat turns afk for over 10 minutes you can kick him off your boat. This also eliminates share obstruction.​
Before a Traders boat starts the run each of the pirates must contribute a share in order to start its run.​
Example;​
Leader proposes a 1000 gold networth of the boat.​
Crew member 1 : Says yes and pitches in gold​
Crew member 2 : Says yes and pitches in gold​
Crew member 3 : Says yes and pitches in gold​
Crew member 4 : Says no​
Unfortuntley, majority wins. Crew member 4 has 30 seconds to either "pitch in" or "get planked".​
The boat will then wait for another crew member to pitch in.​
The boat will then start its trade run.​
If the leader of the boat disconnects he has 120 seconds to return and lead his boat.​
If the leader does not come back online and did not complete a minimum of 10% of the run, the money pitched in will be returned to each crew member. The leader will suffer a loss in the rent pay and the boat will be automatically sunk.​

EDIT (Feb 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM):
III: Is this a good idea? (Pros and Cons section)
Well, I won't try to be bias since this is my suggestion. So I will be fair and I will need you people to disagree. This way, it eliminates be being bias and can show what needs to be fixed.​
PROS:​
  • Easy money
  • Lets both Pay-to-play and Free-to-play get involved in this.
  • Involves team-work and effort
CONS:
  • There will be a seperate server just for trades, eliminates Navy and EITC bots. Also eliminates private trades to maximize money profits.
  • Very laggy
  • More soon...
EDIT (Feb 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM):
IIII: Closing
Of course we all have opinions and I want to know them. Feel free to reply!
u really love typing alot dont u lol

^ corey

When I have an idea I like to go all out. :)
You have alot of good ideas mate
EDIT (Feb 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM):
I think that we should be able to trade or give echother stuff on pirates I mean I am shure alot of people need gold and alot of people have to much gold or a rare or flamed sword that they don't need I mean I have three silver freezes I would be happy to give them away but I can't so I had to sell them.

You have alot of good ideas mate
EDIT (Feb 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM):
I think that we should be able to trade or give echother stuff on pirates I mean I am shure alot of people need gold and alot of people have to much gold or a rare or flamed sword that they don't need I mean I have three silver freezes I would be happy to give them away but I can't so I had to sell them.

Totally agree, I was bored and made another character and the noob character got a MEGA awesome weapon, and my main character has a crappy one. :(

OMG I HAVE BEEN WANTING TRADE.. forever i say yes yes and absloutely YES! my friend is trading me his LOST SWORD OF EL PATRON :fight:(OMG) FOR MY GEHEMOTH AND A LOT OF GOLD! (
IF THEY MAKE THIS)
EDIT (Mar 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM):
:parrot:
EDIT (Mar 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM):
OOPS CORRECTION: BEHEMOTH
EDIT (Mar 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM):
:chill:
EDIT (Mar 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM):
I checked what has been on the future thingies form (forgot name) and saw that trading was on there :excited:

Trading NEEDS to happen, in some way, shape, or form. In my opinion, there should be private trades (like what Christopher Cannonskull mentioned early on), public auctions, and gifting.

For Private Trades, well, pretty simple. You can view each other's inventory and you can do several things. One of them is that you can put one of your items in the trade box (or a heap of gold, whichever one). The second is that you can click on something in your friend's inventory and make a request for this. The person can then say what they want for this. It would be complicated and there would need to be some good haggling features, but it should be able to work out.

For auctions, you would be able to broadcast out to your entire server what you are selling, and what you want for it. There would be an option in the sea chest for this. There would again, be several buttons to click. You would choose the item (auctioning is one item at a time) you are selling, how long the auction will go for, if you will accept items for bids (these bids will be placed in a different category), and starting and buyout prices (this does not have to be gold). Should someone bid an item along with their gold, the player will get a notification, and they can decline or accept that one on the spot. Once the auction time is up or someone bids buyout price, then a notification will go to the person who started the auction giving them the highest bidder, and they can finalize the trade. Also, they should be able to refuse service to anyone. There are some people you just don't want to do business with, aye?

This somewhat goes along with auctioning, but you should also be able to broadcast if you are looking for a certain item, and you can put what you will trade for it. Let's say that I want a Behemoth Blade (I do...). I would go to a spot in my sea chest (Now that I think of it, it could be placed in the Lookout), and I could choose from a list of weapons (no typing... you've seen the horrible spelling that some have.) what weapon I am looking for, and what I am offering for it. If I get any people willing to give me a Behemoth Blade, then I get a notification saying so, and I can finalize the trade.

Then of course, gifting. Let me first say that it should be just between friends, guild, and crew. I don't want to have level 5's coming up to me offering me ten gold and a rusty cutlass in hopes that it will make me want to be their friend, because I'm sure that would happen. As an option on the player card, you could click on a little icon looking like a present or something, and then you could pick something from your inventory to give to them. A message pops up on the other person's screen (similar to a friend/crew request) saying "[Pirate Name] would like to give you [Item Name] as a gift. Do you accept? [Yes] [No]

Anyway, I could probably type more, but I won't bore you. That's my opinion on trading. It really needs to happen, but POTCO would have to take MAJOR measures to make sure that it doesn't get abused. Maybe they could limit you to X amount of trades a month, or something. Just something so that it doesn't get abused, because I agree with you all, it is something that can change the game's economy completely, for better or for worse.

For auctions, you would be able to broadcast out to your entire server what you are selling, and what you want for it.

This somewhat goes along with auctioning, but you should also be able to broadcast if you are looking for a certain item, and you can put what you will trade for it.

Reminds me of Ebay. It's a good system though, Ebay works, so why not benchmark from what has already been working? Except, this needs a total overhaul (read: commitment, on designing, investing time & money) on the Disney's side. Imagine putting an 'Ebay' system on pirates; it means combining two big systems: gaming and auctioning. The problem is, would Disney see it as being profitable, still? I'm sceptical, unless it could be simplified.

Back