Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently some number of players "trade" by sharing passwords (I want to use X and you want to use Y lets swap accounts to try them out). Actual in game trading or not the issue of scamming exists. I am not involved in that, but I know of people who have and who have as a result had their stuff trashed.
It's a terrible decision on the account owners side and really in no way relates to trading, I've never trusted people with any form of account info for any medium even family.

Understood. I feel this is a social issue, irrespective of whether trading is added as an in-game feature or no.

LOL, I've had more than a few pirates offer to pay me to level their pirates.
Obviously this is not something I do in TLOPO, only because this game is so basic and enjoyable that if you can't level yer pirate, you need to rethink life in general.

For weapon trading, I guess what I don’t understand is why would people press hard for something (i.e., trading) when indirectly all it is going to do is make it easier for someone to work through the game faster/more efficiently on account of weaker weapons traded for stronger ones (because just about ‘nobody’ is going to want to utilize trading the other way [where stronger is going to be traded for weaker]).

I am not anti-trading. I am concern though about “the bigger picture” and it just seems to me that the more efficiently people are able to play the game the faster they are going to grow bored with it (generally speaking) which, in hindsight, works against TLOPO’s likely vision - I assume - which soughts to retain “player interest” as long as possible.

Am I wrong in saying this? :confused: (Clearly, I am racking my brain trying to understand this issue to where compromise is the goal but, this idea of the game becoming more efficient for everyone to work through [on account of ‘weapon’ trading] I cannot shake). Thoughts?
You arent wrong in your thinking. There is a great possibility of that and it is worth mentioning - a fair point. My counter to that possibility is this is implemented when the Staff have released the game in full and begin focusing on improving the game through other means. I would like to point out that people get bored by the grindy nature of this game, something the TLOPO Staff could look to change with new and better content. My preferred direction (if it were me deciding) is making the game as story rich as possible, or adding new elements to the game.

I personally am for it because it adds a new element to the game and while looters wail every time it is proposed, I would like to point out that some of us are willing to compromise. Some of us agree they have some genuine concerns, and that some sort of restrictions should apply. However, it seems that there are not many moderates on that side of the debate.

I disagree that trading will be implemented merely because I am not quite sure how long if the game will ever make it out of Beta unless something improves. Come full release I would gladly revise my opinion on the matter.

Trading also opens the door to scammers. Friends you trust could even ask to borrow your weapons just to try them out and never give them back.

That's a personal problem. I could loan my account and they could change the password. Moreover, are they really your friends at that point? This scam argument is a terrible one. I do not know how else to put it. Sorry.

Here’s what I predict will happen: some aspect of trading will eventually be implemented into TLOPO. ***Just my own prediction.

So with what you say above @squintz , there is only one (1) thing I ask. Would you, and possibly others, agree to what I suggest below (seeing how most in ‘favor’ feel so strongly about trading not causing any issues)? Here is what I suggest (aka ‘the terms’):
  • You/others promise to say you were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if unfortunately something would happen, no matter what that is)
  • Myself, and anyone else whom feels obligated, will say we were wrong about trading causing issues for TLOPO on the forums (if fortunately nothing ever did)
  • An actual date would be set for this public statement to be made here once trading had it’s fair chance if/when it ever occurred within TLOPO
AGREED/do we have an accord?
I would say it is a fair agreement. I have long argued in favor, but I think context matters as to why and how I favor it.

In reply to the thread in general:
I feel like this thread was meant more to be a comedic commentary than a serious debate, but I am more than happy to put my two cents in on the matter.

In reply to the thread in general:
I feel like this thread was meant more to be a comedic commentary than a serious debate, but I am more than happy to put my two cents in on the matter.

Yes, at face value, it is intended to be humorous, but also to just help folks hash out and develop their positions, and listen to opposing ideologies, in an organic (<-gratuitous adjective placement), peaceful manner. Looking at things from many perspectives and angles helps to flesh out key details people themselves were not quite sure they had, and to accept the opinions of others, while respectfully disagreeing, concurring, etc.
It's a hot topic, and the more angles it is played in, the better the outcome.
(Added/Edit)I'm not sure many proponents of trading realize just what a sticky mess trading could be, or what the implications/ramifications of trading would really look like in-game.
Savor it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am reading this, as there is account abuse already going on, independent of trading in TLOPO. I'm losing sight of what the last few posts are meant to convey.

Just to interject - I don't think the issue of scamming should be swept under the rug. It's easy to imagine some thirteen year old trading his Emerald Curse for a Bejeweled Broadsword without knowing what he is doing (and then crying about it to TLOPO support afterward).

Caveat emptor, of course, but let's not act like that kind of thing wouldn't happen.

Just to interject - I don't think the issue of scamming should be swept under the rug. It's easy to imagine some thirteen year old trading his Emerald Curse for a Bejeweled Broadsword without knowing what he is doing (and then crying about it to TLOPO support afterward).

Caveat emptor, of course, but let's not act like that kind of thing wouldn't happen.
Taking a look at stats between the two would eliminate that entirely, something I am sure can be considered when developing trading if it ever comes to fruition.

I am reading this, as there is account abuse already going on, independent of trading in TLOPO. I'm losing sight of what the last few posts are meant to convey.
Well, I for one have been taking a back seat and reading and understanding different positions, as well as elucidating my purpose for posting the thread, as well as outlining pitfalls/issues that can easily come about with trading, in any game.
Of course, I can speak for no one else, so if the query is not related to my postings, then, yeah.

So, there are already scammers then.
LOL, Scammers? I'm sure there have always been scammers!
I'm imagining most people in favor of trading already have a scam or two up their sleeves.
Now of course I must make a disclaimer for that statement, so there, I disclaim it.
Pirates gonna be pirates and people gonna be people...

LOL, Scammers? I'm sure there have always been scammers!
I'm imagining most people in favor of trading already have a scam or two up their sleeves.
Now of course I must make a disclaimer for that statement, so there, I disclaim it.
Pirates gonna be pirates and people gonna be people...
I know, I am trying to break it down into little tiny nibbles here. I feel the train ran off the rails from peoples' fear of the trading feature, to a general fear of account "hacking" (LOVE that misnomer BTW).

Yes, the "nibbles" principle is key here!
And that train to nowhere is right on time, as usual!

One of the key issues I wanted to evolve here was that not many people have envisioned an actual trading scenario in-game.
How many people have 2 WEB or Leviathans to trade anyway?
And what about all those "hackers", lol!?!
So many things to look at and think about.

Not to mention, the idea of trading is poo-poo'ed out of hand, without discussing any design details which could make it relatively "safe".

I keep asking, because it seemed that the convo changed from a new feature to a general worry about "outsider trading". But sounds like that's really already an issue, and people are worried it will be amplified by the addition of trading?!?!?

Not to mention, the idea of trading is poo-poo'ed out of hand, without discussing any design details which could make it relatively "safe".

I keep asking, because it seemed that the convo changed from a new feature to a general worry about "outsider trading". But sounds like that's really already an issue, and people are worried it will be amplified by the addition of trading?!?!?
Yes, trading will do just that, not in the same context. but yes.

Ah thank you. So perhaps THIS is the crux of peoples' fear of trading, aside from the apparently devastating effect it will have on the looting feature?

Thank you for the honest response. I don't understand what kind of action I can take with something I have no control over in the first place.
We're not talking real life here where I see a crime and act upon it. I would, and not stand there holding a phone while someone is needing help.
I can't 'man' up to something I didn't create. Both sides defend themselves. And putting yourself in this situation that believing you have some sort of responsibility to shoulder some sort of burden that no one has asked you to in the first place and then request others to follow an example that needn't be made, is, well, not needed. Are you and I supposed to now become some sort of bastion of integrity to all others just because we have strong ideas and comments to a community that I feel for the most part couldn't care less what anyone really thinks.

And seriously, why should they. There's nothing special about you and I, there's no reason to make this issue bigger or more important than it is.
Because it's a pirate forum board. Not the United States constitution committee voting on a supreme court judge or anything.
I really respect your dedication to a game and forum but I see no action to take.
I'll just keep agreeing and disagreeing and tell people why I like their posts and tell people they are full of crap. If that's okay.
That's why there's forum mods here, to keep us all from getting too full of crap.
Have a nice night Shamus.
I don’t know, man.

What I meant by “action” is just you and I (on this forums) agreeing to declare we were wrong about the issue of whether or not trading would cause any adverse affect to TLOPO (or not). *If you look back carefully as to which post I had quoted of yours (which brought this all about) it was a post I had written in response to your claim that trading itself would likely NOT “ruin” players experience in playing TLOPO and if it did, whom cares. That is what had struck a nerve with me - because:
  • You keep stating how trading should be given a fair chance because NOBODY can predict the outcome to TLOPO if it was implemented
  • Your statement made about impact on players (post-trading) contradicts the above ^ point I stress
  • People whom have questioned trading’s impact upon TLOPO are told not to “feel” this way despite the fact, still, that NOBODY can predict what will or will not happen
That is where I am coming from, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah thank you. So perhaps THIS is the crux of peoples' fear of trading, aside from the apparently devastating effect it will have on the looting feature?
I mean I've already made several decently sized paragraphs giving the pros and cons to both, but one of the other reasons is Real World Trading and that the only common argument is people don't have a whole day to loot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back