Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah thank you. So perhaps THIS is the crux of peoples' fear of trading, aside from the apparently devastating effect it will have on the looting feature?
I don't care about scammers and hackers. You can't save the world.
I just think the weapons, clothing, etc need to be earned and that trading needs to be significantly rare in that only when certain thresholds and weapons, etc are acheieved that trading can happen on a limited, equitable basis.
Otherwise, why play?

That's a personal problem. I could loan my account and they could change the password. Moreover, are they really your friends at that point? This scam argument is a terrible one. I do not know how else to put it. Sorry.

Not a personal problem to me. I'm not the one who falls for those scams. Just something that is common in games that allow trading. Trading isn't even in this game so it is such a non-issue topic that it's not even worth arguing.

The one way that may help reduce risk of scammers would be to only allow trading through a "trading post or market place", and not privately between pirates.
This could also help prevent people from abusing the trading system to give their alts items as it has to be placed in the "market place" for sale and purchased from there. There is a possibility that someone else would buy the item before that person gets their alt there.
Also legendaries could be "non" tradable if that is the main concern if trading was to ever be implemented.

This possibly would also make trading with real money difficult because there is no guarantee that the pirate they made the trade deal with would get it first, once it is put in the market place.

If trading was to be tried out at some point I do think the gold max needs to made higher. Atleast to 500k if not more.

Well there is my little thought on how trading may benefit most people.

Currently some number of players "trade" by sharing passwords (I want to use X and you want to use Y lets swap accounts to try them out). Actual in game trading or not the issue of scamming exists. I am not involved in that, but I know of people who have and who have as a result had their stuff trashed.
I get your point, but like others have already said, that's not related to in game trading. And as far as I know, tlopo as well as any online active game will have checks and balances to protect players from account theft. Why any one would want to boost a tlopo account while in beta is beyond me, but even if both players totally wanted to do this, it could likely have been an automatic system that somehow caught the incorrect IP's not matching and got nailed that way. Whether they swapped for testing or for one guy/girl to wipe someone they dislike in PVP with a better pirate doesn't even matter because the system probably found it. But as others also have said, it was a poor decision that wasn't thought out very well.
GL

LOL, I've had more than a few pirates offer to pay me to level their pirates.
Obviously this is not something I do in TLOPO, only because this game is so basic and enjoyable that if you can't level yer pirate, you need to rethink life in general.
How much you charge to level potions. I have a life that I get to once in a while.

How much you charge to level potions. I have a life that I get to once in a while.
LOL, I don't accept offers to level people in TLOPO due to the free game status.
If you have a paying Steam game or whatnot, I'm your man.

I am reading this, as there is account abuse already going on, independent of trading in TLOPO. I'm losing sight of what the last few posts are meant to convey.
As in any mmo on the planet. Some games are easier to do. WOW is very accommodating to multiple devices with one account. How many people would be honest enough to admit playing on a nephew or nieces mmo account if that game works like WOW. I have and do. I also pay for multiples of my own. But account anything about sharing isn't on topic for trading so that is going off topic. Sharing accounts is a whole other thread topic.

Just to interject - I don't think the issue of scamming should be swept under the rug. It's easy to imagine some thirteen year old trading his Emerald Curse for a Bejeweled Broadsword without knowing what he is doing (and then crying about it to TLOPO support afterward).

Caveat emptor, of course, but let's not act like that kind of thing wouldn't happen.
Point taken, but it's sort of weak. Every game mmo I've seen with trading or actions or banks has numerous screens asking for assertions that the player wants to do something. It's nearly impossible to make mistakes. After 3 or 4 screens asking you if you want to do this, and you still don't know what you're doing that's on the player and ignorance. And it's impossible to code in every level of ignorance possible. It's up to the player to learn how to trade but also WHAT they are trading. No one in tlopo or any other game I've seen will be able to trade a counterfeit or visibly faked item.
GL

As in any mmo on the planet. Some games are easier to do. WOW is very accommodating to multiple devices with one account. How many people would be honest enough to admit playing on a nephew or nieces mmo account if that game works like WOW. I have and do. I also pay for multiples of my own. But account anything about sharing isn't on topic for trading so that is going off topic. Sharing accounts is a whole other thread topic.
That's why I kept asking how the ridiculous practice of account sharing ties to the addition of trading. So far haven't heard any responses that convince me there is a connection tbh.

LOL, Scammers? I'm sure there have always been scammers!
I'm imagining most people in favor of trading already have a scam or two up their sleeves.
Now of course I must make a disclaimer for that statement, so there, I disclaim it.
Pirates gonna be pirates and people gonna be people...
LOL, Scammers? I'm sure there have always been scammers!
I'm imagining most people in favor of trading already have a scam or two up their sleeves.
I'm glad that you, kinda sorta made a disclaimer for that, because you sure lumped a lot of people into some sort of scammer connotation that was very harsh. I personally take offense to that statement. but you thought about and tried to save your assets at least.

Yes, the "nibbles" principle is key here!
And that train to nowhere is right on time, as usual!

One of the key issues I wanted to evolve here was that not many people have envisioned an actual trading scenario in-game.
How many people have 2 WEB or Leviathans to trade anyway?
And what about all those "hackers", lol!?!
So many things to look at and think about.
"One of the key issues I wanted to evolve here was that not many people have envisioned an actual trading scenario in-game."
Read some of the other threads. Many scenarios have been discussed. As the more you post, the less I understand why you really started another thread about trading.

Not to mention, the idea of trading is poo-poo'ed out of hand, without discussing any design details which could make it relatively "safe".

I keep asking, because it seemed that the convo changed from a new feature to a general worry about "outsider trading". But sounds like that's really already an issue, and people are worried it will be amplified by the addition of trading?!?!?
Sure they fear it. But as you already know and posted, outside trading has nothing to do with in-game trading of tlopo. But trying to throw them together could be a way to strengthen an already weak argument against trading in tlopo intentionally or not.
People are claiming how simple it is or would be to somehow cheat outside of tlopo, yet no one has examples of this. And it's likely they are caught in any game in due time.

I don’t know, man.

What I meant by “action” is just you and I (on this forums) agreeing to declare we were wrong about the issue of whether or not trading would cause any adverse affect to TLOPO (or not). *If you look back carefully as to which post I had quoted of yours (which brought this all about) it was a post I had written in response to your claim that trading itself would likely NOT “ruin” players experience in playing TLOPO and if it did, whom cares. That is what had struck a nerve with me - because:
  • You keep stating how trading should be given a fair chance because NOBODY can predict the outcome to TLOPO if it was implemented
  • Your statement made about impact on players (post-trading) contradicts the above ^ point I stress
  • People whom have questioned trading’s impact upon TLOPO are told not to “feel” this way despite the fact, still, that NOBODY can predict what will or will not happen
That is where I am coming from, my friend.
"I had written in response to your claim that trading itself would likely NOT “ruin” players experience in playing TLOPO and if it did, whom cares. That is what had struck a nerve with me - because:"

You have a link to that particular post? I'm still trying to find it. That doesn't sound like something I would write that I don't give a crap about what happens to people. My comments are about I don't care what people like elootists do in the game only because it doesn't effect me, so I don't care that they gather 30 up to take out bosses. And thus, I say what they think or want me to do is something I should not care about. There is a difference about not caring about people opposed to not caring what they do in a game that hardly impacts me.
Does that make sense to you. I think you took personally something you may have misconstrued.
And you also got bullet point 3 incorrect as well.

Last edited:
I don't care about scammers and hackers. You can't save the world.
I just think the weapons, clothing, etc need to be earned and that trading needs to be significantly rare in that only when certain thresholds and weapons, etc are acheieved that trading can happen on a limited, equitable basis.
Otherwise, why play?
I guess we can find out if they ever implement trading aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back