Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the staff just come out and say if they are going to release trading in the future or not?
I'm fine with that, aslong as they give the community's opinions and all the pro's/con's to implementing the feature into consideration before putting out a statement, however i just don't see the point of them making a decision on it when the game isn't out of beta.

Can the staff just come out and say if they are going to release trading in the future or not?

My guess is they have an open mind and haven't really decided. I can't think of any other logical reason for their silence on the issue

The logical reason is that teams don’t really announce stuff until it’s ready for release. There are certain exceptions where things are shared before/during their development – but trading isn’t gonna be one of those things. The only thing I can really say is that implementing a (complex) trade system at the moment is unlikely, as a lot of other stuff has to be added in advance. It’s a possibility though.

Ordinary player trade isn’t that difficult to implement, but you said it yourself – it hasn’t been fully decided because there are lots of pros/cons that have to be taken into account as well as additional security measures that have to be implemented to prevent fraudulent transactions from occurring.

So it may or may not arrive to the game one day. And if it does it won’t pose a threat to looting or make looting any less interesting. It’ll only make the game a lot better as it’ll be designed with everyone in mind.

I'm fine with that, aslong as they give the community's opinions and all the pro's/con's to implementing the feature into consideration before putting out a statement, however i just don't see the point of them making a decision on it when the game isn't out of beta.

A major feature like this would definitely be implemented while taking everyone’s feedback/opinions into consideration. And yes, it may be too early to announce any decisions.

Heres the facts despite how childish people wanna get about this:
  • It wouldn't effect ingame looting activity hardly at all. If someone has say a Leviathan, they're certainly not going to accept coins for it. So what would you offer? Only something that took you just as long to loot that they might not have, something to benefit both pirates so they can then get into PVPing. TLDR: People won't accept lesser value trades for legendary items, unless its to their new pirate for duplicates which is infinitely handy
  • Can share gold with pirates for either favors or items, or just to help out your guild mates get further into the game or to buy clothes they like
  • The brights trade would be epic. Those could get sold for coins and or other brights that people are dying to have.
  • Possibly trade ships too? So that if you spent 90% of your life upgrading to a maxed out hull of a ship type you happen to hate, you could trade it for another players ship and swap ships essentially. This way you are not permanently locked into a ship design you might have ended up hating

The only thing trading harms is having to re-farm stuff you've already farmed on alt pirates which is just redundant anyway.

Also talking about anything other than trading and how it would effect the game in this thread is childish. No one should be bringing up other remakes as ammunition for disagreeing with what someone is saying.
ttm.gif

I think trading would be nice. Then looting could stop being an excuse for ingame content and they could actually add some fun stuff to do, like new PVP Modes or new boss ships on the Sea

Last edited by a moderator:
seemed to be only one person causing it but I digress. I think trading would be nice. Then looting could stop being an excuse for ingame content and they could actually add some fun stuff to do, like new PVP Modes or new boss ships on the Sea
I think they should add new game content to take some of the burden off of looting, but I don’t think trading is the way to go. Trading would just make loot an even bigger aspect of the game. And trading affects a lot of people negatively as well.

Lets try to stay on topic here, which is Trading in TLOPO? Yes or No and why you feel it should be implemented or not. Also how could it be done to benefit everyone?

This is not the place to bring in mentions of other remakes.

L.S
Honestly I don’t even know what the purpose of this thread actually was. It didn’t really ask a question or pose a suggestion.

Honestly I don’t even know what the purpose of this thread actually was. It didn’t really ask a question or pose a suggestion.

From what I have understood. The OP has given us an example (in his opinion) what items would be available for sale if trading was implemented.
So here we could agree or disagree on that scenario with reasons why.

As it is, this tread took the same path instanly as other trading related threads.
I don't see talking about trading on this thread is off topic. But other remakes are not the topic here either way.

I think they should add new game content to take some of the burden off of looting, but I don’t think trading is the way to go. Trading would just make loot an even bigger aspect of the game. And looting affects a lot of people negatively as well.
From what I have understood. The OP has given us an example (in his opinion) what items would be available for sale if trading was implemented.
So here we could agree or disagree on that scenario with reasons why.

As it is, this tread took the same path instanly as other trading related threads.
I don't see talking about trading on this thread is off topic. But other remakes are not the topic here either way.
Yeah makes sense. Just funny how every trading thread will just merge into one giant never ending discussion about trading being implemented no matter what it discusses.

Yes but no coins. Only items and ships.

People would either loot the item they're after, or loot one they already had and trade the duplicate for one they didn't. More trying to get legendary but less time on getting the exact one your missing so you can actually use duplicates now equates to no time changed actually looting enemies. Would remain a bit uneffected. It just solves the problem of duplicates and what to do with them.

The whole topic of trading is basically the epitome of controversial.
But the actual feature of trading is not controversial. Whether people freak out about it one way or another and blow it up out of proportion isn't about a game feature but personal-social in nature. I'm not in this to debate peoples personal agendas, sentiments about other members or the social impact of trading. I just want to try the feature out. At the end of the day what ever happens happens. I'm not here to dictate to anyone what I 'believe' will happen to people. That's not my business nor aim.
But I will defend myself if needed. And I'm not going to play yours or anyone else guilt or blame game.
GL

Last edited:
I'd go with virtually any real-life controversial topic (and there are so many to choose from nowadays) over the exchange of pixelated items obtained in a video game, as the epitome of controversy.

I *wish* my biggest stress or was worrying about what other people had in said game, and how they'd gotten it. To me, those things in no way take away from the accomplishments YOU have achieved!

Maybe not, i can see why you want it but i don't think it's a big enough reason to prompt trading to be in with all the other negative connotations trading has. Thanks for your input though.
"i can see why you want it but i don't think it's a big enough reason to prompt trading to be in with all the other negative connotations trading has."
I would submit that is an erroneous assumption as with just looking at this forum alone, using only threads with polls, there doesn't seem to be any substantial negative connotations or arguments against trading itself. What's evident here in these forums is that the arguments against trading are weak and social in substance and when that happens the proponents against trading start using personal issues and invented reasoning's injecting their concepts and words into other peoples comments. Classic debate structure for when losing traction on their platforms. The subject again, is trading. Not why other people want or don't want trading.
Below are just the poll numbers from just people that read the forums. No telling the numbers who read and don't post. But this is hard evidence in support of a trading feature, even in this small group that polled these threads.

Of the 38 total trading type original threads so far, I took the numbers from the ones that bothered to make polls. Interestingly, many original trading threads which were clearly against trading wouldn't include a poll. Of the few that seemed to designed to conform the poll to show trading in a negative light actually failed. People still voted for trading. Opposition to trading barely broke 50% against trading in 3 out of 7 known published polls. Historically in over ten years of talking about trading, opposition has been in the vast minority. I don't see the massive support against trading in these published numbers. Matter of fact, I don't see the numbers of members claiming damages sufficient enough to support stopping trading from being added.

FOR TRADING ------------------ AGAINST TRADING
56 -------------------------------- 41
200 -------------------------------- 114
this poll was designed to try to show trading as a negative and it didn't work. People still voted in favor of trading.
17 ------------------------------- 3
19 ------------------------------ 6
168 ------------------------------- 78
Even back in potco days:

42 ------------------------------- 3
27 ------------------------------ 5

And then I found this back in the day:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/trading-coming-soon.7030/

If trading is never going to happen or even thought about by disney or tlopo developers, what exactly is this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4u2VcQ0v_k&feature=youtu.be

Here's a thread from almost 10 years ago with a few very familiar names.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/piratey-trading.311/

Last edited:
Yes but no coins. Only items and ships.

People would either loot the item they're after, or loot one they already had and trade the duplicate for one they didn't. More trying to get legendary but less time on getting the exact one your missing so you can actually use duplicates now equates to no time changed actually looting enemies. Would remain a bit uneffected. It just solves the problem of duplicates and what to do with them.

I don't think that duplicates are a problem per se. Thats part of the circle of looting. It keeps people from easily getting a legendary and makes searching for one challenging.

The biggest part of this game is grinding for loot, its true. I definitely think the developers should remove some of the burden off of looting with new content, but trading is not the way to go. This game could have so much potential but trading would just ruin it by decreasing the longevity of this game. The developers could implement so many cool things that we have never seen in pirates online. Questing and Lore; expansions to Sailing, Islands and the Open Ocean; expansions to SvS and PvP; all new Events, Treasure Maps and Boss Battles. Even adding CD back to the game will have a drastic improvement to the game.
I dream of a game where looting is there in the background. Its there, same as always for those who love to grind, but there is so much to do in the game that you don't have to do it at all unless you want a legendary weapon, which of course should be rewarded by looting. All of this could take off the massive burden that grinding for loot has to carry and after that all you'll have left is the people who still want trading not because it will add to the game, but because they still want that legendary, and still don't want to try for it like the rest of us. (this is coming from someone who doesnt have one and would not like to grind for months but still doesnt want to ruin it for those that like to)

Like congressmen?

Heres the facts despite how childish people wanna get about this:
  • It wouldn't effect ingame looting activity hardly at all. If someone has say a Leviathan, they're certainly not going to accept coins for it. So what would you offer? Only something that took you just as long to loot that they might not have, something to benefit both pirates so they can then get into PVPing. TLDR: People won't accept lesser value trades for legendary items, unless its to their new pirate for duplicates which is infinitely handy
  • Can share gold with pirates for either favors or items, or just to help out your guild mates get further into the game or to buy clothes they like
  • The brights trade would be epic. Those could get sold for coins and or other brights that people are dying to have.
  • Possibly trade ships too? So that if you spent 90% of your life upgrading to a maxed out hull of a ship type you happen to hate, you could trade it for another players ship and swap ships essentially. This way you are not permanently locked into a ship design you might have ended up hating

The only thing trading harms is having to re-farm stuff you've already farmed on alt pirates which is just redundant anyway.

Also talking about anything other than trading and how it would effect the game in this thread is childish. No one should be bringing up other remakes as ammunition for disagreeing with what someone is saying.
ttm.gif
Actually, it seems to me that the majority of people who use multi accounts and alts would gain the most from trading as they would then be able to quickly build out their alts. And the majority of multi users tend to seem to be hard core looters, who want everything quick in the first place since they do groups to cut down bosses all the time to save effort and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with virtually any real-life controversial topic (and there are so many to choose from nowadays) over the exchange of pixelated items obtained in a video game, as the epitome of controversy.
A well placed blow! But, if I may lend a machete to your intellectual thicket, mate, any "real-life controversial topic" isn't really in high demand in this thread as it is nowhere near as relevant as you may presume (it being not relevant at all)

If only we be talking of something relevant that I could use to express what the epitome of a controversy in this community would be...

Last edited:
Actually, it seems to me that the majority of people who use multi accounts and alts would gain the most from trading as they would then be able to quickly build out their alts. And the majority of multi users tend to seem to be hard core looters, who want everything quick in the first place since they do groups to cut down bosses all the time to save effort and time.
Wow, if they would benefit the most from it yet still don't want trading they must have genuine concerns about it for the community rather than their own well being

I never said i didn't? If there is enough pro's to implementing such a feature, it could be done. The fact that you had to mention Pirates Online Classic in this as a reason for disagreeing with me is very obviously a personal attack. Let's be respectful, i would never interpret your input on a thread in TLOPO General Discussion as somehow relating to Pirates Online Classic. Also the fact that you had to publically state in of itself that you aren't going to play the game in this thread of all places due to a disagreement and especially how you worded it, is a personal attack.

Let's be a bit more respectful and not personally attack forum members over a disagreement, pleading ignorance wont stop that.
"I never said i didn't? If there is enough pro's to implementing such a feature, it could be done."
I just showed you that the 'pros' vastly outnumber the 'cons' for trading, just in pure documented numbers. Yet this contention of a majority not wanting trading is consistently pushed while being blatantly misrepresented that it is.
We get you don't want it. Be it personal reasons, competition or looting destruction. It matters not what we, beta testers want or don't want in the bigger picture, a feature will be brought into the game by developers for their reasons and on their time. Be it trading, new tp locations. Whatever.
Lets just try something before it's already shot down as ruining someones experience.

Last edited:
It's beta. We are here to test stuff. Trading is stuff. New islands is stuff. Hallowed is stuff. What part of testing stuff is hard for people to comprehend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back