Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's beta. We are here to test stuff. Trading is stuff. New islands is stuff. Hallowed is stuff. What part of testing stuff is hard for people to comprehend?
Well mostly because this is the bugfixing stage of this game. Thats why they said they were saving Isla Escondida until full release after beta

I think they should add new game content to take some of the burden off of looting, but I don’t think trading is the way to go. Trading would just make loot an even bigger aspect of the game. And trading affects a lot of people negatively as well.
"I think they should add new game content to take some of the burden off of looting, but I don’t think trading is the way to go. "
  • Trading would facilitate moving your loot around perhaps with profits as well as convenience. How's this a bad thing.
"Trading would just make loot an even bigger aspect of the game. "
  • And this is a bad thing? To increase the depth and interest in Tlopo? I would think any seasoned mmo player who sees a free quality game that Tlopo can become who sees Tlopo had trading would probably jump into this game in a second. It's what everyone is used to the world over.
"And trading affects a lot of people negatively as well."
  • That comment is subjective and unfortunately has no evidence of such whereas positives have actually been documented in a microcosm poll of players on the forums to the contrary. By a 60% margin in favor of trying trading. I think we can dispense with the notion that trading is utterly negative and going to destroy 'a lot' of people. GL

Last edited:
"And trading affects a lot of people negatively as well."
  • That comment is subjective and unfortunately has no evidence of such whereas positives have actually been documented in a microcosm poll of players on the forums to the contrary. By a 60% margin in favor of trying trading. I think we can dispense with the notion that trading is negative and going to destroy 'a lot' of people. GL
Gee, I really wish that people said and gave examples on how trading would negatively affect them.

Or maybe you just don't know what "a lot" means

A well placed blow! But, if I may lend a machete to your intellectual thicket, mate, any "real-life controversial topic" isn't really in high demand in this thread as it is nowhere near as relevant as you may presume (it being not relevant at all)

If only we be talking of something relevant that I could use to express what the epitome of a controversy in this community would be...
There comes a point when one should take a thread off their watch list when the subject, the prize of the topic is so lost in the morass of conjecture as to never find a way to navigate back.

Gee, I really wish that people said and gave examples on how trading would negatively affect them.

Or maybe you just don't know what "a lot" means
Less than 40% is their lot.? A lot of people are in the against lot, just not as a lot compared to the 60% lot.
A lot of the 40% against did give examples, and it was like 90% of what it does to them personally. I never once said that trading is the best thing ever and it's going to change the game, that it's going to be the number one thing to advance Tlopo. Yet the 40% claim trading is going to destroy the game, ruin everyones experiences. I say shouldn't we just try something before shooting it down? They say no, no one should try trading because it's going to ruin everything. That's not even trying to compromise.

Beta is the perfect time to test a feature, no matter what stage the beta is in because it would give feedback if the game servers can handle something as well as the inevitable feedback beta testers would give. To outright condemn something when it concerns a greater community of users seems a small minded and even selfish thing to do. It sure doesn't sound like a game community mentality to me.

It's beta. We are here to test stuff. Trading is stuff. New islands is stuff. Hallowed is stuff. What part of testing stuff is hard for people to comprehend?
The beta was always meant to finish the base game and test the base content, the fact that new stuff is in is just a bonus.

70 people is a lot. 100 people is a lot. 250 people is a lot
I only have a few words to say about this any more.
Let's try something first and let it fail on it's own merits. Not tear something down before experiencing it. In short, don't knock it til you try it.
No one here has any idea at all how it will play out in Tlopo if ever implemented. The ways to do so are plenty.
You and I are not going to stop a thing. But if the developers like someone said will indeed try to take what we suggest under consideration, and you poll 10,000 people and 6,500 would like a feature and 3,500 say nay, do you really think they will go with the minority?
Good night. Have fun in game. I do.

Good evening, Tiberias.

I have actually been lurking on this thread for the past few days for the pure entertainment of listening to all of you argue. Within this time period I have analyzed everything all of you have been saying and I'll be quite honest with you I would have to agree with Internet Pirate myself. Since your issue clearly seems to be that he's "complementing himself." That should take care of that aspect. Now, I'd like to speak my opinion about trading a little bit.

Trading. Yes, it is in World of Warcraft. But I have worked upon several and owned World of Warcraft private servers. Specifically we are talking about Elysium Project and Light's Hope here. The two largest private Vanilla World of Warcraft servers quite literally of all time. These servers have both flourished and gained a mass-amount of members within not only their Discord but have also gained quite the following through other various social media platforms. I would know what I'm talking about.

During my time working on Elysium Project and Light's Hope, specifically as a System Administrator, Developer, Community Manager, and in-game Moderator more commonly known as a "Game Master." I was one of the Senior's and Leader's of the Game Master Department specifically and the amount of tickets I received while at Elysium Project regarding trading was quite obnoxious. People did NOT want trading in even such a game like World of Warcraft. Imagine something like trading in such a small game like TLOPO, it's completely irrelevant. It only makes the game easier than it is. Trust me, the game is quite easy as it is.

I will have you know that one of the reasons I don't necessarily like TLOPO in a sense is because of how obvious the Game Master's are to point out. Let me give you an example. In old POTCO you NEVER saw a Game Master stand on the docks. And if one was standing there you'd have no idea that it was a Game Master. In TLOPO you can easily point out all of the Moderator's and look at who has in-game powers and who does not. Honestly, by you being able to point this out and being able to know that they INSTANTLY have power over you is quite a downer and makes the game even less fun to play. Back in old POTCO, the person who was the best at PvP, the person who had FULL Dark Black, the person who had Thunderspine. Those types of people back in the old game were the people who were instantly noticed on the docks and the players who would be inspected before anyone else. Those were the known players. In TLOPO, a level one pirate named "Freebooter" ( since Freebooting is what the Mods seem to be quite good at anyway ) with Game Master powers steps onto the docks. Little, tiny, fat, ugly pirate. Who is level one. As long as they have Game Master powers, they have asserted their dominance.

This will only contribute. If there were to be a trading system you'd run into the issue of players who are below level 20 having brights. Players who are below level 30 using cursed blades. Etc. Etc.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah makes sense. Just funny how every trading thread will just merge into one giant never ending discussion about trading being implemented no matter what it discusses.
I think if each side paused and took the necessary time to sincerely reflect upon what the other side was supporting we could very well come to a compromise on this issue that would bring forth more solutions and less confusion, doubts, and questions. Problem is, I have yet to see this because each side is blinded by their own bias to where words are generated to a post prior to ANY reflection.

I could be wrong but with an issue as polarizing as trading, neither side will gain what they want from the other side until pirates THINK about opposing views before they get all motivated (or salty) to feel compelled to write something down to any one of these trading threads.

What is required is...discernment!

If the staff just gives us an answer maybe just maybe people will stop talking/arguing about trading. I mean what's left to say about trading? Trading has its pros and cons and there's even ideas on how to minimize abuse and obviously the staff has seen all of this so what's the point in talking about it any further? It just feels like we're just repeating ourselves until they finally give us an answer.

If the staff just gives us an answer maybe just maybe people will stop talking/arguing about trading. I mean what's left to say about trading? Trading has its pros and cons and there's even ideas on how to minimize abuse and obviously the staff has seen all of this so what's the point in talking about it any further? It just feels like we're just repeating ourselves until they finally give us an answer.
I feel as if this thread should just be closed, and have the discussion temporarily banned till we know if they're going to add it or not.

TLOPO should implement it on their secret boujee QA server for a couple of weeks, then report back their findings. Maybe even send in a couple of 'plants' to buy those sweet, sweet rusty cutlasses off of Captain Teague. Only then will we know if trading is a good idea, ey?
:gold:/s

It most likely won't stop.
We've seen it before with the Jack Sparrow's blade nerf only this time it will probably never end since it will be about the most controversial topic in all of Pirates Online history since loot came out. If trading doesn't get added people will complain and complain for a long time. We'll see the same people complaining that the devs bent to the "vast minority's whining." Or the accusations that Dark Archive or some other looting guild is manipulating the devs behind the scenes.
However, if trading is added I do believe that the vast majority of these "Elootists" against it will be a lot more respectful. Id picture most of them moving on to other games almost immediately after its released. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion as I find the looter community is probably the most respectful, knowledgeable, and sensible group in TLOPO.

However, if trading is added I do believe that the vast majority of these "Elootists" against it will be a lot more respectful. Id picture most of them moving on to other games almost immediately after its released. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion as I find the looter community is probably the most respectful, knowledgeable, and sensible group in TLOPO.
While I have a hard time agreeing with anti-traders, I don't presume that trading is objectively good for the game like they tend to presume trading is bad for the game (hence the whole "elootist" thing). When trading has never even been tested, no one (not even the devs) can say for certain trading will be "the death" of TLOPO. I'm not sure how you find this attitude "sensible" or "respectful."

Also, when you say stuff like "Id picture most of them moving on to other games almost immediately after its released," do you realize that makes pro-traders just want trading more, right? Don't get me wrong, I don't want the player base to decline by even a few pirates if it doesn't have to, but I think many players would accept a slightly smaller player base if it would be relatively elitist free (especially if the community becomes more attractive to new players as a result).

Let me put it this way: if we managed to hold a game-wide poll and over 50% of registered pirates were opposed to trading, I'd tell pro-traders to just accept it isn't going to happen. But not only do I not think this would be the case, the other arguments against trading (losing looters as part of the player base, introducing the risk of scamming, etc.) are very, very thin when you break them down.

As for losing players, either pro-traders will gradually quit until trading gets implemented or anti-traders will gradually quit after trading gets implemented. No matter what, people quit. Trading would also help fluff up the endgame of TLOPO, because maxed out pirates who don't have the time to loot for everything tend to decline in activity. Trading would give them a little more to do and some more weapons to test out.

And as for scamming, there will obviously be scamming attempts, but even a lazy attempt at regulating trade would squash most scams. Some have expressed concern over children's gullibility, but I remember playing RuneScape when I was about 10-years-old and no one could scam me -- not because I wasn't a gullible child but because the trading system in RS only allowed for trading items of comparable value (which is another reason why I suggested before to re-scale the item values in TLOPO). If a pirate is so young and gullible that they could be scammed in a regulated trade market, they're probably too young to be playing this game anyways.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there (only because the issue of ‘scamming’ has been discussed in light of trading within various threads):

Gullibility is only 1/2 the problem with the concern of scamming (of any kind). The other 1/2 is outright deception. *People shouldn’t discuss the problem of scamming without acknowledging the existence of both types. Pertinent to TLOPO, the player-base of POTCO had it’s fair share of both gullible and deceptive players whom had made mistakes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back