Discussion Trading. Yes, Trading! (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gullibility is only 1/2 the problem with the concern of scamming (of any kind). The other 1/2 is outright deception. *People shouldn’t discuss the problem of scamming without acknowledging the existence of both types. Pertinent to TLOPO, the player-base of POTCO had it’s fair share of both gullible and deceptive players whom had made mistakes!
I understand what you're saying... but I disagree.

If you're referring partly to my post, I only addressed the concerns over gullibility because that's the only concern I share when it comes to trading (and why a degree of moderation in trading is needed to solve this issue).

By "outright deception," do you just mean lying about the value of weapons? Or, for example, promising that a low-value weapon is going to be buffed soon so another pirate might as well trade their high-value weapon for the low-value weapon now? Like I said, scammers will definitely try to scam. However, first of all, moderating trade would prevent 90% of this right off the bat because high-value weapons literally couldn't be traded for low-value weapons. Second, even if scams turn out to be worse than I think, that's not exactly a reason to be opposed to trading. If you don't want to be scammed in trades, then you'll naturally want to do your research before trading. If someone makes an offer like "10 Rusty Cutlass for 1 El Patron" and you find it fishy... THEN DON'T DO IT. No one will be forced to trade. Most pirates would probably trade between friends and within the guild anyway, so that increases the chances of trading with a trusted partner.

To argue that we shouldn't implement trading because of scamming is to essentially argue that if some people can't trade, no one can.

Last edited:
It most likely won't stop.
We've seen it before with the Jack Sparrow's blade nerf only this time it will probably never end since it will be about the most controversial topic in all of Pirates Online history since loot came out. If trading doesn't get added people will complain and complain for a long time. We'll see the same people complaining that the devs bent to the "vast minority's whining." Or the accusations that Dark Archive or some other looting guild is manipulating the devs behind the scenes.
However, if trading is added I do believe that the vast majority of these "Elootists" against it will be a lot more respectful. Id picture most of them moving on to other games almost immediately after its released. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion as I find the looter community is probably the most respectful, knowledgeable, and sensible group in TLOPO.
Don't knock it til ye try it!! :popcorn:

Last edited:
...By "outright deception," do you just mean lying about the value of weapons?

...If you don't want to be scammed in trades, then you'll naturally want to do your research before trading...

To argue that we shouldn't implement trading because of scamming is to essentially argue that if some people can't trade, no one can.
What I am saying about scamming (because the concern itself was brought up by other people), is that “human ingenuity” is grossly underestimated!

Trading implemented in-game, like many other things that could be added into the game, is not exempt or excluded from being exploited in a way which was not intended. Therefore, yes, trading is susceptible (like other things) to indirectly be the cause of a scam. If people feel this is untrue, then they are biased and looking at things only with rose-colored eye-patches.

What particularly does not help trading in my eyes are the various (POTCO) videos posted all over YouTube of specific players either highlighting themselves from successful scams made during POTCO’s time or videos posted with numerous back-n-forth comments attached to them about how someone was jipped cuz of a scam.

Like I said. I am not ant-trading. What I would to reiterate a second time though is the fact that “human ingenuity” usually prevails. ;) *If trading itself can keep human ingenuity at bay, then I am personally 100% in favor of it!

Trading implemented in-game, like many other things that could be added into the game, is not exempt or excluded from being exploited in a way which was not intended. Therefore, yes, trading is susceptible (like other things) to indirectly be the cause of a scam. If people feel this is untrue, then they are biased and looking at things only with rose-colored eye-patches.
Okay? Yeah, I agree. But that's still not an argument against trading.

I didn't say scamming wouldn't happen, I said it could be greatly minimized with a proper trading system and we should implement it anyway -- or rather, that the potential for scamming is not a good reason not to implement trading.

Look at it this way. If you were pro-trading, which would you prefer: to have trading as an option with the risk of getting scammed (and with that risk reduced further and further as you gain experience and, you know, use common sense) or to never even have that option?

Last edited:
You all really have no input what will be implemented, let's get real. At most, players in DA opinions will matter cause they are in the guild with the devs. So with that said, if they wanted to implement trading they would have already or mention that they are working on it.. like other aspects the do mention. I hope after this thread, most of you will stop responding.. you all have better things to do with your time.. then argue endlessly over a topic that isn't going anywhere. Let the trolls argue with themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
You all really have no input what will be implemented, let's get real. At most, players in DA opinions will matter cause they are in the guild with the devs. So with that said, if they wanted to implement trading they would have already or mention that they are working on it.. like other aspects the do mention. I hope after this thread, most of you will stop responding.. you all have better things to do with your time.. then argue endlessly over a topic that isn't going anywhere. Let the trolls argue with themselves.

This was a thread about trading, for whatever crashes reasons, and was fairly quickly populated with objecting players. Your accusations and attack itself is unfounded. Hopefully the mods don't remove any other posts or yours so all can judge for themselves.

A thread on trading if left alone would probably come up with plenty of ideas, but threads are never allowed to continue unmolested.
Something like 30 threads on trading, and within 5 posts on almost every one has a post about trading will destroy or ruin everything.

And you don't think there's a problem there? Or a pattern? And why do anti-tradites again turn it back on members instead of talking about trading?

Last edited by a moderator:
...Look at it this way...
Look at it this way. I wasn’t personally responding to you. I decided to comment about scamming in general only because it was emphasized in your post. (The subject itself is quickly brushed over within other posts - I feel - about trading).

I posted what I did in lieu of what I know, about past scamming efforts initiated during POTCO’s time. My intent is to help people understand. I don’t think it worked, lol.

Look at it this way. I wasn’t personally responding to you. I decided to comment about scamming in general only because it was emphasized in your post. (The subject itself is quickly brushed over within other posts - I feel - about trading).
I know, I was just trying to make a point about the scamming concerns.
My intent is to help people understand. I don’t think it worked, lol.
How would one know? You can try to help people, but you can't make them agree with you.
I honestly dont understand why the mods on this forum would allowed another post of trading to be started. Do you all like hearing the community attack one another, argue aimlessly with never a real solution???
You all really have no input what will be implemented, let's get real.
You sort of answered your own question there. The devs are naturally the ones making the decisions, but they've already added controversial features to the game (such as kicking people off ships) based on player feedback/requests. So I'd hardly say we have no input whatsoever -- just no direct input. And it's precisely because we as players have no direct input that forums like this become populated.

As long as people are talking about trading, regardless of how pointless or tedious you think it may be, it shows the devs a lot of pirates still want this feature. Do you think the odds of trading being implemented would be higher if everyone stopped asking for it?

This thread has been closed as I feel everything that needed to be said
has been said (numerous times) regarding the topic of discussion.

Also, please keep in mind that when someone posts an Off Topic post to just report it.
Please do not reply to the Off Topic post,
because now your post is going to be deemed Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back