Tip Treasure Sense (has a TL;DR)

Sky Kiwi

Pirate Master
I've noticed some people don't quite understand how Treasure Sense works, so I felt I should make a post on it.

You might be asking who am I? What do I know about anything? I am a lover of the sea. I fell in love with POTCO the moment I saw it. My little brother was sailing, and I knew I had to do it. So I did, and I ended up doing it for quite some time. In fact, I was in the top 25 leaderboards for PvE sailing somewhere around 2008, maybe into 2009. So with my history of sailing in mind, let's dive in shall we?

For starters, you need to understand how cargo crates actually work. For the sake of simplicity, we're going to only talk about Royal Chests here, but know they all follow the same rule set.

If you check the Cargo page of the wiki you will see Royal Chests can contain one of three different gems - Emeralds, Rubies, and Diamonds.
qJDStiJ.png

You'll notice that the higher value gems are worth more, but they also have lower probability. Makes sense.

Why is this relevant to treasure sense though? Well I'll tell you, billy bob! People believe Treasure Sense makes enemy ships drop Royals more often. I believe this is wrong. It could do that, I'll admit, I haven't seen the code, but that is not the primary mechanic of Treasure Sense as I believe it.

How Treasure Sense works is when you port and the "gems" inside the Royal Chests are calculated, Treasure Sense increases the probabilities of the higher tier gems. How exactly it influences these numbers I couldn't honestly tell you I know.

One theory is it's multiplicative. In the Royal Chest example, that would mean level 5 Treasure Sense (25% increase) would raise Diamonds to 6.25% (0.05 * 1.25) and Rubies to 18.75% (0.15 * 1.25).
My other theory is it calculates the gems normally first, and then gives each one a 25% chance of upgrading. That would give each type a much higher probability than the other theory, and the "upgrading" chance coincides with my usual drop rates and the description of treasure sense.

mO8dpgo.png

"That's all well and good, Sky Kiwi, but we need some harder evidence than that!".
Well I've got some. Remember how before they said they adjusted Treasure Sense as it wasn't scaling properly? Well, you might not know this, but that was a massive nerf. It was warranted, because Treasure Sense was way too overpowered. How overpowered? Well, take a look at this.
1dV6Dwd.png
2rJNwc5.png

Notice all those drops are the best possible item from each cargo type, and I didn't get a single item of lesser quality? (Despite having 111 cargo crates!)
At the time I thought it was like this for everyone. In fact, I asked a couple people but nobody really responded, or had any idea what I was talking about. But when they fixed Treasure Sense I later realized that it only happened to me because I maxed treasure sense.

Now, with all that out of the way, there's a couple important points I need to get across here.

Notice that Treasure Sense doesn't actually increase the chances of better types of cargo crates from sinking an enemy (treasure chest vs royal chest, for example). Also, if you're unaware of this already, not everyone gets the same gold / materials from the same chests. For example, if we port with 5 Royal Chests, I might get 3 emeralds and 2 rubies, where you get 2 emeralds, 1 ruby, and 2 diamonds. Each person has their own "values" generated. This is important. What does all this combine to?
The Captain having Treasure Sense does NOT benefit the rest of the crew at all.

"What?! Ridiculous! I know it does!" ~ You, maybe. Look up "Confirmation Bias". You might think you get more royals when your captain has treasure sense, but you probably don't. You just think you do, because you notice it more often when it coincides with what you believe.

However, this isn't bad news! In fact, for you cannoneers, it's very very good news! How so? It means Treasure Sense will benefit you, even if you are not the one sailing. It will ALWAYS benefit you. You can sail on a Light Frigate with a level 3 captain who can't even have Treasure Sense if he wants to, and you will still benefit from it if you put points in it yourself. Every single time!

So for those of you who hate taking the wheel (which is blasphemous to me, by the way), but you enjoy being on a cannon or you love cutting planks into strange shapes, you should get your sailing to at least level 17 and max out your Treasure Sense (hint: save your skill points from level 12 onwards). You'll make more money the rest of your time on the seas!

Thanks for reading my wall of text!

TL;DR: Your captain having Treasure Sense doesn't help you. If you want the extra gold, YOU need Treasure Sense, even if you're on cannons.

Additional theory: There is a very important benefit to all this. Notably in the form of sailing items (even though they don't work yet). For those of you that have items with treasure sense boost on it, you do not need to wear it for the full run, only when you port. Theoretically. Emphasis on the fact that this is a theory. I don't believe loot is calculated before you port, so this should work. If this is true, this means everyone should get level 1 TS just so boosting items work on it.

Last edited:
Treasure sense is a waste of skill points. The bottom line is this; if you want gold, and lots of it, you're gonna have to work at it. Sailing is not a great source of gold, and more can be had at Tormenta or any other hotspot by grinding.
However, if you want or love to sail like I do, then just do it and don't waste time with ship mats. Ignore the hunters and warships and take what you can, give nothing back!

screenshot_2017-08-09_19-46-43.jpg

Treasure sense is a waste of skill points. The bottom line is this; if you want gold, and lots of it, you're gonna have to work at it. Sailing is not a great source of gold, and more can be had at Tormenta or any other hotspot by grinding.
However, if you want or love to sail like I do, then just do it and don't waste time with ship mats. Ignore the hunters and warships and take what you can, give nothing back!

View attachment 89467

You're not wrong in that sailing actually isn't a good source of gold. And Treasure Sense doesn't actually boost it all that much. But it depends on where you're at and what you're doing. Like I said, if you prefer cannons and never actually take the wheel, why wouldn't you get treasure sense? It costs you barely anything and increases the gold you get from sailing on other peoples ships.

If you're like me and barely play the land based parts of the game it's pretty helpful, but you're right in that sailing is poor gold. Looting in Tormenta or fishing are much better.

The weird thing I've noticed when I have full Treasure Sense is I usually get more diamonds than rubies. It certainly makes a difference. Thing is improving something that's not so great by a percentage amount isn't helping a whole lot.

Nonetheless the point of this thread was to explain how it works, so we can squash this belief that "the captain should always Treasure Sense because it benefits everyone on the ship".

Also can't ignore hunters because I need 3750 iron, gah.

You're not wrong in that sailing actually isn't a good source of gold. And Treasure Sense doesn't actually boost it all that much. But it depends on where you're at and what you're doing. Like I said, if you prefer cannons and never actually take the wheel, why wouldn't you get treasure sense? It costs you barely anything and increases the gold you get from sailing on other peoples ships.

If you're like me and barely play the land based parts of the game it's pretty helpful, but you're right in that sailing is poor gold. Looting in Tormenta or fishing are much better.

The weird thing I've noticed when I have full Treasure Sense is I usually get more diamonds than rubies. It certainly makes a difference. Thing is improving something that's not so great by a percentage amount isn't helping a whole lot.

Nonetheless the point of this thread was to explain how it works, so we can squash this belief that "the captain should always Treasure Sense because it benefits everyone on the ship".

Also can't ignore hunters because I need 3750 iron, gah.

LOL, the ship mats eventually happen anyway and fill you up, even when sinking regular ships!
I know it might sound crazy, but the pic posted above is pure non hunter sinking, and yet we had to port because we were "full" of ship mats.
And yes, point well taken that the captain's treasure sense does nothing for crew.

LOL, the ship mats eventually happen anyway and fill you up, even when sinking regular ships!
I know it might sound crazy, but the pic posted above is pure non hunter sinking, and yet we had to port because we were "full" of ship mats.
And yes, point well taken that the captain's treasure sense does nothing for crew.

Sure, but at the rate they drop it would take me years to finish my Copperhead War Frigate alone, let alone my War Sloop and a third ship. Even when I'm actually aiming for hunters and ignoring warships it's slow going lol

Sure, but at the rate they drop it would take me years to finish my Copperhead War Frigate alone, let alone my War Sloop and a third ship. Even when I'm actually aiming for hunters and ignoring warships it's slow going lol
Yes, ship mats take a long time. I started at level 1 and finished my storm chaser level 6 brig at pirate level 45! What I discovered though may or may not make a difference.
On my previous pirate, I started upgrading my war brig as soon as mats rolled in, and then I noticed something peculiar; the mats I needed started becoming the most rare in the game! Essentially pine, which is what I needed most of, became harder to obtain than oak, steel or silk!
So on my latest pirate, I held off choosing to upgrade until I had all the mats in storage already.
To compare the difference, my other pirate took well into level 50 to complete the same ship upgrade whereas this pirate was done in early level 45. That's a huge diference in time spent searching for mats.
I think for whatever reason the mats start dropping in ways you don't need once you make your upgrade choice and start saving for it.
For example, I don't need iron, and had more than enough for a full war brig upgrade to copperhead, but I was trying to make a storm chaser!
That got me thinking and this time around, that didn't happen. I got all the pine I needed earlier than last time, and upgraded my ship all at once, waiting for money to come in of course to pay for it all. Thank you blackjack!

and then I noticed something peculiar; the mats I needed started becoming the most rare in the game!

If they actually designed it to do this I am going to be furious. I've felt the same way, and if this is true then this explains why I get so much canvas. I'm upgrading a War Frigate to copperhead and a War Sloop to Storm Chaser, so I need all the materials sans the fabrics... But most notably I get way way less iron and steel than I do pine, let alone the fabrics.

If they actually designed it to do this I am going to be furious. I've felt the same way, and if this is true then this explains why I get so much canvas. I'm upgrading a War Frigate to copperhead and a War Sloop to Storm Chaser, so I need all the materials sans the fabrics... But most notably I get way way less iron and steel than I do pine, let alone the fabrics.
I don't know if they designed it this way or not, but the last pirate would get 4 to 7 pine on a full run on a ship full of regular mats and a hold of 25 slots! That was every time I went out! I'd get iron in the upper 60s or 70s every run, and of course, enough canvas to open my own sail making business! Even steel would be in the 20s or 30s, because I didn't need it. Oak and pine were even in rarity, since I needed both for my upgrade.
On this current pirate, I only got half the iron the last one did, since I hadn't made my upgrade choice until the end. All the mats were more balanced this time around.

Well I'm a Kiwi too so I thought I should add my bit, even though I'm not a Sky Kiwi... lol I don't pay much attention to gold on Runs it's the Mats I need or the loot, famed etc.

In POTCO I maxed my Treasure Sense and had the Famed Charm, I noticed straight away that the quality of items in loot was way worse, nothing exciting seemed to turn up, I retrained got rid of my Treasure Sense and things went back to normal with the loot mix.

This time around I made the same mistake... tried Treasure Sense and straight away started getting rubbish loot...:skullpeak:

Had to retrain to get rid of it once again... so for now it's definitely not for me as it doesn't give me the type of Treasure I want, I have heard this from others back in the day also:cannon:
:pirate ship:

Yes, ship mats take a long time. I started at level 1 and finished my storm chaser level 6 brig at pirate level 45! What I discovered though may or may not make a difference.
On my previous pirate, I started upgrading my war brig as soon as mats rolled in, and then I noticed something peculiar; the mats I needed started becoming the most rare in the game! Essentially pine, which is what I needed most of, became harder to obtain than oak, steel or silk!
So on my latest pirate, I held off choosing to upgrade until I had all the mats in storage already.
To compare the difference, my other pirate took well into level 50 to complete the same ship upgrade whereas this pirate was done in early level 45. That's a huge diference in time spent searching for mats.
I think for whatever reason the mats start dropping in ways you don't need once you make your upgrade choice and start saving for it.
For example, I don't need iron, and had more than enough for a full war brig upgrade to copperhead, but I was trying to make a storm chaser!
That got me thinking and this time around, that didn't happen. I got all the pine I needed earlier than last time, and upgraded my ship all at once, waiting for money to come in of course to pay for it all. Thank you blackjack!
This did not happen to me. I guess that the reason is one of three possibilities: dumb luck, you are wrong, or because I was upgrading 3 different types of ships at the same time. I was doing a Skull and Bones, Stormchaser, and Firestorm simultaneously. I do think but am not certain that the game does tend to give you more items like you've been collecting: I've found 4 Dark Black Cotton Jackets and I found only one famed gun for a very long time, about 8 months, in Beta until I found a second at which time I suddenly found almost every desirable famed gun in a short span, about a month. This leads me to think it is likely you will not find much pine if you have been using iron until you reach some critical limit on pine, read spend pine on an upgrade, where suddenly you may find you are getting much more pine. I feel that the game also did this in potco

Back