Discussion Treasure Sense Question

The Laveyan

Dockworker
When I hover over the treasure sense skill in sailing it says it improves the chance of getting royal chests but not loot in general. I've heard people say that having treasure sense will give you a higher chance of getting a loot skull chest while sailing, yet the game's description of the skill clearly has no mention of impacting anything other than royal chests, can anybody clear this up?

Ahoy @The Laveyan,

While I personally haven't gone about doing my own tests in regards to the Treasure Sense skill, I personally believe that the in-game definition is correct, and only increases the Royal Chest drop rate, or essentially just additional gold counts.

Better users to answer a question like this would be @Eric Sailcutter, as if I recall correctly he has done individual testing for this skill's Actual mechanics. Apologies for the short (and rather unhelpful) answer!

They said awhile back it only increases royals (gold) not actually chances of skulls and loot chests sadly.

Treasure sense was always broken when Pirates Online was supervised by Disney. Therefore, unless some huge change occurred within TLOPO to offset this..."Treasure Sense" will always promise more than it divvys out (doesn't matter what the skill's own description states or reads).

Ahoy @The Laveyan,

While I personally haven't gone about doing my own tests in regards to the Treasure Sense skill, I personally believe that the in-game definition is correct, and only increases the Royal Chest drop rate, or essentially just additional gold counts.

Better users to answer a question like this would be @Eric Sailcutter, as if I recall correctly he has done individual testing for this skill's Actual mechanics. Apologies for the short (and rather unhelpful) answer!
I’ll post the data on this thread, it really appears to be broken and not working at all in my opinion but when you see the results you can draw your own conclusions. I’m in the camp that believes that in potco it was a pre loot skill that increased gold but when loot came along it was never updated to help with loot.

Here is the data from my Treasure Sense study. The study consisted of 40 sailing runs, 20 with Treasure Sense 0 and 20 with Treasure Sense 8. During each run I sank exactly 20 Ogres and no other ships so the total number of ships sank for the study was 800, I thought it was a fair sample. You can see that there are some differences between Treasure Sense 0 and 8 but many of the numbers are small enough that I doubt statistical significance. I was going to do t-Tests for significance but after seeing the complete data was not impressive I kinda lost interest. I let you all draw your own conclusions and recommend that you choose wisely when deciding to use your sailing skill points.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.15.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.15.53 PM.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 405
Here is the data from my Treasure Sense study. The study consisted of 40 sailing runs, 20 with Treasure Sense 0 and 20 with Treasure Sense 8. During each run I sank exactly 20 Ogres and no other ships so the total number of ships sank for the study was 800, I thought it was a fair sample. You can see that there are some differences between Treasure Sense 0 and 8 but many of the numbers are small enough that I doubt statistical significance. I was going to do t-Tests for significance but after seeing the complete data was not impressive I kinda lost interest. I let you all draw your own conclusions and recommend that you choose wisely when deciding to use your sailing skill points.
Based on this, you can probably conclude all it does is increase the chances of royal chests dropping which would lead to the slight increase in gold count. However arguably its a low sample size which would explain some of the more inconsistent or nonsense results such as higher number of skull drops with no treasure sense, which we already know is not effected either way. I was always under the impression it increased chances for gold rewarding loot (royals, chests, and crates) to reward more gold at the sailing results screen. But if this data is correct then all it does is increase chances for royal chests most likely. (still a bit skeptical because of the low sample).

if thats true its even more worthless than I thought

Based on this, you can probably conclude all it does is increase the chances of royal chests dropping which would lead to the slight increase in gold count. However arguably its a low sample size which would explain some of the more inconsistent or nonsense results such as higher number of skull drops with no treasure sense, which we already know is not effected either way. I was always under the impression it increased chances for gold rewarding loot (royals, chests, and crates) to reward more gold at the sailing results screen. But if this data is correct then all it does is increase chances for royal chests most likely. (still a bit skeptical because of the low sample).

if thats true its even more worthless than I thought
I think in terms of gold the sample size is large and that an 8% increase in gold with an increase in 8 skill points on Treasure Sense is at best ridiculous but more likely insignificant and an indicator that Treasure Sense actually does nothing at all.

You are right about the number of skulls in the sample being small and so not a large enough sample to draw any conclusions.

I do not think that we already “know “ much of anything about the exact mechanics of the potco Treasure Sense.

Always ran treasure sense and found it to be beneficial to the contrary of whats been suggested in this thread, guess that's the power of confirmation bias, guess ill try mixing up the sailing passives after seeing this.

Always ran treasure sense and found it to be beneficial to the contrary of whats been suggested in this thread, guess that's the power of confirmation bias, guess ill try mixing up the sailing passives after seeing this.
The results of my study are from 800 identical ships sunk, 400 with 0 Treasure Sense and 400 with rank 8 Treasure Sense. Of course it is possible that my Golden Charm doesn’t work and it was only rank 5 Treasure Sense but I think the results really show that Treasure Sense in tlopo is useless at any rank.

Seriously?
So I'm NOT gonna get a new car, a girlfriend and a house of my own with treasure sense?
Man, I'm outta here, lolol!
Seriously, the 5 skill points used on Treasure Sense or on other skills instead made little difference to me in time to complete the runs or the rewards gained by the runs, so, I believe that 1: Treasure Sense doesn’t work and 2: 25 skill points is plenty to be an effective sailor against tlopo AI, the extra 5 skill points aren’t critical.

Seriously, the 5 skill points used on Treasure Sense or on other skills instead made little difference to me in time to complete the runs or the rewards gained by the runs, so, I believe that 1: Treasure Sense doesn’t work and 2: 25 skill points is plenty to be an effective sailor against tlopo AI, the extra 5 skill points aren’t critical.
I believe the standard parameter that you should use is strictly the final awards and loot gained from the run and your time and effort investment shouldn't be a hard factor. Real loot item count and then it's your decision whether it was worth it. Do you see what I'm implying?
The actual item drops should be used for rating and not our sentiments about the loot. That would be subjective and a difficult rating parameter.
I think TS works, but in such a minuscule way, it's practically meaningless. And then, like you say, one thinks, why even bother to take up a space I can use with a ram or something else.

I believe the standard parameter that you should use is strictly the final awards and loot gained from the run and your time and effort investment shouldn't be a hard factor. Real loot item count and then it's your decision whether it was worth it. Do you see what I'm implying?
The actual item drops should be used for rating and not our sentiments about the loot. That would be subjective and a difficult rating parameter.
I think TS works, but in such a minuscule way, it's practically meaningless. And then, like you say, one thinks, why even bother to take up a space I can use with a ram or something else.
Yes, the study is all hard facts and there is no sentiments involved. It is true that I had planned to do t-Tests to gauge the statistical relevance of the results but when I saw them I instantly knew that Treasure Sense was useless and didn’t bother. Perhaps you’d like to check on the relevance of the gold data in particular as it is a huge sample and I did get an 8% increase in gold with an 8 skill point change to Treasure Sense. This is where I was so underwhelmed that I felt, let my sentiments get in the way of science, it was pointless to pursue farther. I have doubt that you will find that the 8% increase in gold is statistically relevant but even if it is very relevant it still really means Treasure Sense is useless, lol.

Yes, the study is all hard facts and there is no sentiments involved. It is true that I had planned to do t-Tests to gauge the statistical relevance of the results but when I saw them I instantly knew that Treasure Sense was useless and didn’t bother. Perhaps you’d like to check on the relevance of the gold data in particular as it is a huge sample and I did get an 8% increase in gold with an 8 skill point change to Treasure Sense. This is where I was so underwhelmed that I felt, let my sentiments get in the way of science, it was pointless to pursue farther. I have doubt that you will find that the 8% increase in gold is statistically relevant but even if it is very relevant it still really means Treasure Sense is useless, lol.
I have to agree. But I'm not sure 'useless' is the right or fair term to use. Maybe underwhelmed or underutilized.

Back