Unpopular opinion

skolotun

Honorable Pirate
I'm perfectly fine with people leaching (going afk on ships with full cargo).

I recently read a mod post that said they were figuring out a way to boot people that just go AFK on ships that have full cargo, but why? For my explanation, I'm going to describe a war brig and its stats, since it's often the ship that most people board. There's only 6 cannons on one side of a war brig, yet 12 people can come on board. In most ship battles, the captains usually keep the enemy ships on one side the entire fight. This leaves about 6 people with nothing to do except repair, provided the ship has 12 crewmates on board. There's 5 repair games that can be played, but it usually only takes one or two people to fully repair a ship in adequate time.

This only comes out to about 7 or 8 people that are actually needed on board in most ship battles. Even considering this, when looking at what most ships do while at sea anyways (find the big group of people fighting hunters), the hunters and warships only target the ships with max bounty. Unless a ship gets caught in the crossfire, not many repairs are gonna need to be made since they won't be targeted by the warships and hunters. Furthermore, a ship only needs to hit an enemy ship with one cannonball in order to get the reward for sinking the ship. Unless you're trying to solo an enemy ship, you don't have to be perfectly accurate and you don't need many people firing cannons. You really just need one guy on a cannon that can hit an enemy ship to get full rewards, minus a bit of experience.

What I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of free space on ships where people should be allowed to hop on and take a part of the loot. Those people being on board won't lower any one else's loot gain. In fact, they'll typically gain less loot than those that have been on board since the ship set sail. There's really no negative effect that leaching has on anyone actually working on board the ship. The only gripe that I have is that leachers are usually the annoying ones that say "PORT NOW OMG WHY WONT YOU PORT NAG NAG NAG" as soon as the cargo count is full. However, there's an ignore option, and a report option if need be. If captains really don't want people leaching on their ships, it's their responsibility to set boarding options off of public once cargo is full and they have an adequate crew for them. If they fail to do this, it's their fault.

Just what I think.

Before any one replies correcting me, I will say this:

I read into the wiki page on sailing and loot a bit more, and found this -
"At the end of every High Seas Adventure, a special Mission Panel will appear showing the results of the voyage (including the number and type of ships sunk, the number of cargo containers plundered, and ship status including necessary repairs). It will also open all cargo containers, identifying their contents and translating its value into gold, which is then added to each crew members' wealth.The game will tally up all the plundering you did and divide the treasure up amongst the crew (Remember - more crew = more treasure)".

More crew = more treasure.

I always switch off my public boarding at 8/12

Yes, for the reasons you gave, there's not much negative impact on the influx of loot due to a few afk'ers. The reason I think it's an issue is because these people are gaining mats for doing nothing, and it devalues ship upgrades.

Usually the only time I'm gunning is because I got a little lazy and wanted an easier job, lol. I'll get out thunderbolt and tag as many ships as possible. After tagging, I might kick back and browse the internet for a few minutes. If people did something similar to that, at the least, then it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Perhaps they do not believe afk on a ship is bad, but were rather trying to cover up for the infamous "mod abuse" that occurs. It's a video game, people are gonna be afk due to real life concerns, but will often return within a minute or two. Not really appropriate for a moderator to boot a player for it. Smite me for saying it......

Perhaps they do not believe afk on a ship is bad, but were rather trying to cover up for the infamous "mod abuse" that occurs. It's a video game, people are gonna be afk due to real life concerns, but will often return within a minute or two. Not really appropriate for a moderator to boot a player for it. Smite me for saying it......
If anything, he is exposing the "mod abuse" as you call it, not covering it up. He is saying that he doesn't mind having leeches, that he doesnt want to kick them, and thinks it's ok to leech. Therefore, he is saying that kicking people from ships is unacceptable, hence he is agreeing that the mod was "abusing their power". Really, though, the so-called "mod abuse" is not a big deal that you should be freaking out about. The mod had a reason for kicking the person and the person could've just as easily reboarded the ship if he came back from being afk.

Although most of you in this thread, including me, don't have any issues with the leechers, either by evading them or just letting them do their thing, some people do. I agree that people will be afk due to real life concerns, but if a system is implemented maybe it could account for this possibility? Also, if they have real life concerns to focus on, I'm sure the loot from the ship for that run has very minimal value compared to the possible real life issues at hand. Furthermore, none of us non-staff players know exactly what the staff has planned for the removal of leechers, so before we just make presumptuous conjectures that it's a cover up because we're salty about getting kicked, maybe give them a chance to at least explain their plans and reasoning, savvy?

Leaching isn't against the rules...and shouldn't be, of course.

Leechers may be annoying; however, they have as much of a right to be on that ship, as does any other crew mate. Whenever the captain opens the ship to public, he/she takes on the knowledge knowing that a leecher may come aboard. It is the captain's responsibility to monitor his/her ship.

Now should a mod kill/boot/kick a player off a ship for leaching? No. Of course not. That is clearly wrong... that's not up for debate, right?

Before it gets too out of hand, the point of this thread was not to discuss the specific action of the mod kicking the guy off of the ship for leaching and if that was okay. Please just discuss leechers and if you find them to be problematic.

Oh brother. Here you have it from the OP of the thread:
Before it gets too out of hand, the point of this thread was not to discuss the specific action of the mod kicking the guy off of the ship for leaching and if that was okay. Please just discuss leechers and if you find them to be problematic.

This is an interesting discussion, let's keep it on track please. We've allowed civil and level-headed discussions and criticisms about moderation before. Hyperbolic criticisms and feeding on drama and outrage is probably going to get a thread locked, big surprise. If you wish to discuss this subject further you're welcome to PM me... but don't derail this thread further.

I do have a problem when I am on the cannon and then have to stop the cannon to repair and they are just standing there doing nothing; they could be repairing. It drives me crazy! I have no problem if everyone is busy and all the cannons are taken to just stand there.

To elaborate on what John said, somebody would initiate a "vote kick" and everybody onboard would get a say on whether or not the person gets kicked. Personally, I would like to see it be the majority that decides upon the kick rather than it be based on a vote that is unanimous. In the case of a tie, whichever side the captain votes on wins.
Anybody agree, disagree, or have another take on this so called "vote kick"?

My objection to leeching is not so much because of players taking up spots that could be used by others, but more the idea of people getting loot even though they are not working at all to get it.

Back