Update Discussion and Feedback

The official release notes thread can be found here.
Known issues can be found here.

A lot of things have changed. Please take some time to become familiar with the new update.

Notes
  • The new design is "beta" quality. Some things might look a little odd over the next few weeks as I iron out all the details.
  • Pirate Profiles and Albums, while generally working, may not be fully functional.
Thanks everyone. I will be working through known and reported issues tomorrow.

Last edited:
The changes made are very good in my opinion with everything presented as quite stable. ;)

"Thanks" for renewing a refreshing spirit into this forums community and it is one to which I can both appreciate and enjoy. For me, it's like finding a cucumber in some garden and taking a bite out it for the first time, feeling all "zesty" inside
! :stars:

It's definitely more bright than I'm sure most people coming here are used to. I sort of like it myself but I'm open to toning down the brightness a bit or at the very least giving people the option to choose between white and something a little less blinding.

And as for me not appearing in the list.. I'm hiding ;) I'm gonna go get some rest.

This new update is pretty cool i do like the recent actvity on the forums it is a little bit hard viewing it on mobile and lots of adds on the mobile phone but i like the new change
Ads are never going to be a popular decision, and I understand that. They're more of a necessary evil than anything.

With the update we switched to a new ad format (our old format was not compatible with mobile phones and tablets), and moved them up the page a bit. The new format is more limited as far as how much control I have over it (which is fairly limited to begin with). Dare I say, I'm pretty happy with the ratios on desktops.. but on phones the top ad is a bit too large. I'll make appropriate changes when I get the chance.

Definitely better for mobile. The old forums was a pain to check on a mobile phone, I spent more time zooming in then actually on the forums. Also, I'm not too bothered by the ads on the new version, because the placement and size of the ads is just like any other site you might visit.
Very nice update Davy :)

I have "subscribed" to my forums of work, but one thing I did notice was you can only choose between being alerted of "New Threads" or "New Messages." While both would flood my alerts, I think it would be in my favor to be able to subscribe both ways, and force myself to read everything.

Just a thought :p

Not sure if this is linked to some members' names being displayed as red, but I have noticed that if some avatars are either too small to fit the preview or contain transparency, it is filled with red.

Example:
red outline.png
Also just noticed that the join date on profiles is bugged... Shows date and year, but not the month.

join date bugged.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is linked to some members' names being displayed as red, but I have noticed that if some avatars are either too small to fit the preview or contain transparency, it is filled with red.

Example:
View attachment 59906Also just noticed that the join date on profiles is bugged... Shows date and year, but not the month.

View attachment 59907
Ya, Idk why my picture is too small, it fit there before :/Also, wont let you click on anyone's pictures within their albums and such

Last edited by a moderator:
I have "subscribed" to my forums of work, but one thing I did notice was you can only choose between being alerted of "New Threads" or "New Messages." While both would flood my alerts, I think it would be in my favor to be able to subscribe both ways, and force myself to read everything.

Just a thought :p

"New messages" should inform you of new threads as well :) I may be mistaken, let me know if it does not.

i also can't see the blue for the people you follow on the forums just normal to me

Fixed.

View attachment 59909
Also a small typo here: PIrates

Are you using Internet Explorer? Believe it or not the "i" is lowercase - even in your photo - it's just being rendered too close together.

Ya, Idk why my picture is too small, it fit there before :/Also, wont let you click on anyone's pictures within their albums and such
I can't reproduce what you're describing with albums. Truthfully they're working fine for me but the code behind them still needs an overhaul to be brought up to speed.

@John Foulroberts, black or transparent for avatars?

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 6.14.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 6.14.57 PM.png

Last edited:
"New messages" should inform you of new threads as well :) I may be mistaken, let me know if it does not.

Fixed.

Are you using Internet Explorer? Believe it or not the "i" is lowercase - even in your photo - it's just being rendered too close together.

I can't reproduce what you're describing with albums. Truthfully they're working fine for me but the code behind them still needs an overhaul to be brought up to speed.

@John Foulroberts, black or transparent for avatars?

View attachment 59911 View attachment 59912
Transparent. It looks much cleaner :)

Back