Suggestion Update Textures It's 2018

As someone who has worked with 3D animation and modeling programs before this just baffles me. The fact that the objects are not combined is just a basic rule when you finish modeling something. It makes the finished object much easier to work with if said objects are not going to move.

Also I had no idea the textures in this game were actually that good. I'm actually quite surprised, and amazed. The art style on those textures is phenomenal and pretty much exactly what kind of art direction I wish the game could have if it was a more recent production. I think I might save some of those textures just to look at them.

Learning how to create these things really makes you notice the small details that you would otherwise miss. When I see a character model in game I immediately notice seams and things in models now. It's really quite bad lol
Looking at those other models convinced me that this version of tlopo is running in default panda or whatever mode for whatever their reasons, and I don't question that at all. I can only think of the future when tlopo may be running in full graphic rendered mode. I just don't think it is and that isn't a crime and maybe needed at this time. One can say all they want of 'artistic' style, but I see low res. Sorry.
And to add to my case, there is a thread on tlopo that a past developer gave some examples of panda with a car and landscape, and when one actually went to the links and watched videos, it's pretty easy to see what I'm talking about.

GL

Looking at those other models convinced me that this version of tlopo is running in default panda or whatever mode for whatever their reasons, and I don't question that at all. I can only think of the future when tlopo may be running in full graphic rendered mode. I just don't think it is and that isn't a crime and maybe needed at this time. One can say all they want of 'artistic' style, but I see low res. Sorry.
And to add to my case, there is a thread on tlopo that a past developer gave some examples of panda with a car and landscape, and when one actually went to the links and watched videos, it's pretty easy to see what I'm talking about.

GL
That isn't exactly accurate. There's no "modes" of Panda3D, its simply how the Panda3D engine is interfaced with to render the game. Panda3D is a "library" of many different "functions" or commands you could say. Being that Panda3D's purpose is for creating games it has a lot of game related functions for rendering a scene, lighting, shadows, etc. These functions are all called and written into code that the game developer themselves write, at the basic level it is just done with inserting objects into a scene and having Panda3D handle the lighting, shadows, etc. But on more advanced side of things developers can write custom shaders and lighting, implement shadows, bump mapping, and everything else Panda3D has functionality for.

TLOPO already has their code that interfaces with the engine written (most of it being from POTCO), as well as custom shaders and such. It would be much more involved to implement a better system than what they have. Likely a quite extensive partial rewrite of some systems. Not to mention Panda3D really struggles to utilize GPUs (Graphics cards) to their full extent, so either they would have to use some trickery to get that to work, to rewrite some of Panda3D itself, or just let the CPU do the majority of the work as it is now, and that's not a great idea.

As for what you saw, in those videos. Some of them were custom or heavily modified Panda3D rendering code, not very many objects on screen to render, or simply ultra optimized to that specific scene. It's relatively easy to control for performance in a unchanging scene. But in the real world applications you must take into account many different variables and it gets messy.

That isn't exactly accurate. There's no "modes" of Panda3D, its simply how the Panda3D engine is interfaced with to render the game. Panda3D is a "library" of many different "functions" or commands you could say. Being that Panda3D's purpose is for creating games it has a lot of game related functions for rendering a scene, lighting, shadows, etc. These functions are all called and written into code that the game developer themselves write, at the basic level it is just done with inserting objects into a scene and having Panda3D handle the lighting, shadows, etc. But on more advanced side of things developers can write custom shaders and lighting, implement shadows, bump mapping, and everything else Panda3D has functionality for.

TLOPO already has their code that interfaces with the engine written (most of it being from POTCO), as well as custom shaders and such. It would be much more involved to implement a better system than what they have. Likely a quite extensive partial rewrite of some systems. Not to mention Panda3D really struggles to utilize GPUs (Graphics cards) to their full extent, so either they would have to use some trickery to get that to work, to rewrite some of Panda3D itself, or just let the CPU do the majority of the work as it is now, and that's not a great idea.

As for what you saw, in those videos. Some of them were custom or heavily modified Panda3D rendering code, not very many objects on screen to render, or simply ultra optimized to that specific scene. It's relatively easy to control for performance in a unchanging scene. But in the real world applications you must take into account many different variables and it gets messy.
Thank you. However, there was numerous statements about default panda and higher rendering 'mode' for lack of a better word. The examples are clear even to a novice. It's apparent that whatever coding that is being or in tlopo is of the lower res functions.

I don't know how else to put it. The visuals are right there in the links. Side by side practically. One says default and the other says other rendered. Both Panda. Just about all of tlopo looks just like the default videos. Except maybe fish.

I would also love updated graphics in general, but I would honestly prefer the devs devoting their time to new content (like Hollowed Woods events) over new graphics. Especially since the graphics have a nostalgic bonus for most of us.

Last edited:
The developers are doing a great job of trying to adapt the game for today on an engine designed for the past decade. They've already done a great job updating the graphics, as Bart pointed out. Aye, they could (and I'm fairly confident they will) be updated further but I also think the nature of the graphics contributes to the nostalgia.
I agree, the game has got to have the look and feel of potco or it wouldn't be a remake. I really like the texturing changes that have been added so far and think they've done a good job keeping and improving the look. I expect it will continue down this path, perhaps too slowly for some. People should also realize that the new content team is a separate development team to the one working on bugs and restoration of the original game.

Last edited:
Bruh this is a remake of a 2007 game designed to run on a twelve year old’s mom’s laptop. It’s not going to look like League of Legends or Overwatch. Just accept it for what it is.
Anyone could fill that in knowing that this game started with development in 2005/2006, presented in 2007 and released in 2008.

Eventually further down the line it would be great to have a HD TLOPO with updated textures, animations and everything but we don't know if that will ever happen nor if it will ever be possible. I don't want to be forced to use my mom's twelve year old PC in order to run this game perfectly and with better results than my high-end gaming rig. People are out here experiencing bad performance with high-end machines and even tho we're still in beta that shouldn't be normal with nowadays technology so I'm hoping to see change in that in the future.

Bruh this is a remake of a 2007 game designed to run on a twelve year old’s mom’s laptop. It’s not going to look like League of Legends or Overwatch. Just accept it for what it is.
Thats a point, however I believe with the right interfacing and work it could be up to date. Which doesn't address other peoples preferences for the dated look. To each his own.
Just wanted the game to be all it could be. In the present state of graphics, no one would consider this to be anything but a retro remake.
That's fine I guess. Minecraft hasn't changed much, but there are more realistic mods. But minecraft is all about blocks as a game factor.

Tlopo shouldn't be looking like minecraft for modern game, but again it's what people will like or live with.
Does anyone really believe blizzard would be where it's at if they insisted on keeping the top down look and dated graphics?

But as I stated elsewhere, part of my desire to see tlopo pick up it's graphics is the possibility of smoother game play.

GL

paraphased:

why are u always so hateful lol

its literally only u and squintz that flame threads and its all that u do
Sorry dude, big dif between myself and dark rose. I comment on comments and ideas, not the people that make them. Rose comments on people, which never is the topic of a thread unless the thread is entitled "All about me!"

And seriously, paraphrasing and changing anothers intent of their post is never a good thing and Rose was dead on taking you to the carpet.

But have a great sailing day.

If I could I'd like this post 100 times. Those purple leaves have always baffled me. I don't understand why they would have had a purple vertex color paintbrush out to accomplish that. POTCO's textures were obviously done by someone very skilled and who put a lot of time into them (its just a shame they were obviously scaled down and compressed in lossy jpg --Thanks Disney). However when it comes to model work... Either there were unskilled interns or just people who didn't care. If you bring the models into a 3d editor you see countless errors and bad practices that show people who had no idea what they were doing. Like you said: shoddy UV work, messy modeling work, seriously cutting corners with poly counts... But it gets worse.

This is english_corner_a for reference. But almost all the models suffer from many of these same issues.
Hierarchy work for the finished models are abysmal it seems that nothing is merged into single objects. Here you can see every single rail rung is an entirely separate object. Not merged or joined in an effort to clean up the final model at all.
There are so many instances of duplicated objects its just silly and totally negates any effort of them saving on polygon count at that point. (I moved the orange selected rung out so you could see both objects.)
At this point I don't even know what to say. This also totally negates polygon count "limit" because they use vertex colors in most of the game for shadows and other shading since those are not implemented in-game in realtime. However, I'm sure this could be done a lot better.
@Bart Gunshot
Yes, old thread, but what 3d modeler did you use and do you know of a good free one?
Also, it's been a year and playability hasn't changed for many people. Do you think this lack of finesse and grouping models not efficiently has an effect on game play and smoothness?

Last edited:
Sorry dude, big dif between myself and dark rose. I comment on comments and ideas, not the people that make them. Rose comments on people, which never is the topic of a thread unless the thread is entitled "All about me!"

And seriously, paraphrasing and changing anothers intent of their post is never a good thing and Rose was dead on taking you to the carpet.

But have a great sailing day.
Why are you quoting a post from September 2018??

@Bart Gunshot
Yes, old thread, but what 3d modeler did you use and do you know of a good free one?
Also, it's been a year and playability hasn't changed for many people. Do you think this lack of finesse and grouping models not efficiently has an effect on game play and smoothness?
I used Blender. It's entirely free and open source, and is actually a quite competitive tool compared to paid industry professional tools such as 3DS Max or Maya. It can have a steep learning curve to use (just like any fully fledged 3D editing program), but the 2.8 beta improves new user usability quite a bit if you want to give that a try, just be advised most plugins aren't updated for 2.8 yet.

I can't really say if what I pointed out affects performance at all, as I'm not entirely familiar with the way Panda3D handles things. I know that Panda3D allows for object selection and manipulation within model files. This could theoretically cause performance issues when indexing all these objects within a single model, when loading the model, or some other issues. Although it also could be optimized in such a way though that it doesn't adversely affect performance.

Popping in a little late to drop this:

2019-4-17 tlopo-rc-v1.20.0
  • A bunch of hats, belts, and tattoos have been given HD texture revamps.

Gonna give a rundown of everything we've HD revamped, at least to my knowledge:

- Every Tattoo
- All hats, boots, coats, and belts.
- Player faces, both undead and alive.
- Player bodies, both undead and alive.
- Green interact circle.
- Padres del Fuego rock textures
- Generic GUI button (friends list, guild list buttons)
- Fort Charles Minimap
- Forsaken Shallows minimap (this one was our fault, it was drawn at too low a resolution, now it's better)
- Most new clothing that has been/will be released is more HD - at least for shirts, pants, etc.

I may have forgotten one or two things, but that should be most of it. Anisotropic filtering should make everything look crisper (especially when we finally update Panda with Pypperoni).

Back