Updating Ships... I'm so confused...

ScarlettT

Pirate Apprentice
So I confess, while yes I played the original, I never upgraded my ships.

I decided to upgrade my cargo, for the first time, and did so a few days ago.

Then today, I wanted to upgrade my hull, and did so. Except when I did that, my cargo disappeared and so did the other choice of thing to upgrade (the picture with the wind).

So.. can you only upgrade ONE thing on your ship? I just wasted like 60k.

When you do your Upgrades It shows what you can Lose by doing that upgrade !

I thought it meant give and take. Like, you do this upgrade and you get 14% more whatever, but then you do another and it minuses 7% of that previous upgrade, but it's still an upgrade. Ugh.

I have only been playing TLOPO for a few days and POTCO didn't have these ship upgrades. It's very exciting! I would like to do this but when I click on upgrade ship, it displays "unfit". How do you get your ship "fit"?...

I have only been playing TLOPO for a few days and POTCO didn't have these ship upgrades. It's very exciting! I would like to do this but when I click on upgrade ship, it displays "unfit". How do you get your ship "fit"?...
Potco had it near the end. around 2011 they came out with it and the brig. Granted TLOPO expanded on the sails and emblems. Only "medium" and war class are eligible for upgrades.

Yes, light ships are not upgradable. POTCO did have these exact upgrades, introduced in 2010. There has been discussion here on the Forums of adding light ship upgrades and I support this concept but many disagree on that so I do not know if it will ever be implemented.

Last edited:
It is important to plan ahead with ship upgrades. I recommend you study the wiki and talk to friends and well known sailors to get the most information you can. Each upgrade is super cool and unique but some may not be for you. If you don't plan ahead you can still backtrack and get what you want but it will cost you in terms of both gold and materials.

Yes, light ships are not upgradable. POTCO did have these exact upgrades, introduced in 2010. There has been discussion here on the Forums of adding light ship upgrades and I support this concept but many disagree on that so I do not know if it will ever be implemented.

I see. I don't remember these upgrades before, but I was busy with young children then! I guess I have to just enjoy the game and not be impatient....Thank you for replying :)

You can only upgrade regular ships and war ships that is why it says that
Also keep in mind that a regular ship cannot be upgraded as far as a war ship.... also remember to make sure you upgrade the right ship if you have more than one ship, I made the mistake of doing multiple upgrades on my ship only to realize when I hit the upgrade limit that I had been upgrading the regular ship and not my war ship... Now I've got a great regular ship but have even more material runs ahead to get my war ship where I want it.

I have another question. My sister has been trying to purchase a ship since she started and is unable. She is level 18 and level 6 sailing. She says when she hits shift to talk to shipwright, her only two options are quest and exit. She's tried every island and done every quest. I remember being able to buy a ship right away.

Any ideas?

About your sister's problem...did she do the Set Sail Quest? It is given by Elizabeth Swan at the Governor's mansion and is the second part of the story quest line I believe. She would have been sent to Darby Drydock the shipwright. Once completed you can purchase ships. (though you get a free light sloop also from darby drydock). Also, she can't purchase war ships until lvl 15 sailing. If she has completed that quest, and purchase is greyed out have her contact support by email to support@tlopo.com

Last edited:
Back