Using guns on All Enemies!

Should the Pirate Code Be Shot to Death?

• I want guns to be useful

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I want Disney realism

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters

Michael Baxter

Swashbuckler
This might not be important for everyone, but for my friends and I it is a must. One of my friends wants to only use guns, but that is impossible considering they can only be used on half of the game's enemies. This is likely an easy change and something that I would love to see in the game.

I agree it seems really pointless and can be annoying most of the time, but in the end it isn't a huge deal, and on top of that farming EITC/Navy enemies with a gun would be extremely easy as none of them use any ranged attacks as far as I know. I think it should be kept as it adds an extra mechanic to an already simple game lol

I agree it seems really pointless and can be annoying most of the time, but in the end it isn't a huge deal, and on top of that farming EITC/Navy enemies with a gun would be extremely easy as none of them use any ranged attacks as far as I know. I think it should be kept as it adds an extra mechanic to an already simple game lol

Well as I said it is a big deal to me... I get what you're saying though (even though there are a few ranged EITC units, throwing daggers). Hell if anything I would like the enemy to be shooting back at me too. Not sure how difficult that would be to implement seeing as Navy soldiers for instance only ever used their bayonets. There are other units that use guns though so it's not like there are no npcs using guns. The code exists in some skeleton pirates. Maybe it's possible.

No guns on human enemies.. That is part of the pirate lore as well as a general rule for children's games.
But it's not a children's game? Last I checked TLOPO doesn't have an esrb rating. And hell if we're talking lore, guns are used on human enemies multiple times during the movies.

But it's not a children's game? Last I checked TLOPO doesn't have an esrb rating. And hell if we're talking lore, guns are used on human enemies multiple times during the movies.

Lore with the game, is what I believe Kris is referring to. Lore with the movies have never correlated well with Disney's intentions in-game. However, I entirely disagree. Guns being unable to damage human opponents whatsoever is a downside to them, and what holds them back from being more versatile than practically any other weapon class.

Secondarily, the game is still (to my knowledge) to abide by the original ratings given to POTCO, which would surprisingly put it listed as a game for younger players. It may not be like that today, but there are some things that can't be changed because they feel like it.

I understand that your friend has the intent to play through the game with guns, but POTCO was made with using the entire arsenal in mind, and limiting yourself to one weapon might help you min-max loot or whatnot, but it takes away from the overall experience.

Fair Winds,

Misha

Lore with the game, is what I believe Kris is referring to. Lore with the movies have never correlated well with Disney's intentions in-game. However, I entirely disagree. Guns being unable to damage human opponents whatsoever is a downside to them, and what holds them back from being more versatile than practically any other weapon class.

Secondarily, the game is still (to my knowledge) to abide by the original ratings given to POTCO, which would surprisingly put it listed as a game for younger players. It may not be like that today, but there are some things that can't be changed because they feel like it.

I understand that your friend has the intent to play through the game with guns, but POTCO was made with using the entire arsenal in mind, and limiting yourself to one weapon might help you min-max loot or whatnot, but it takes away from the overall experience.

Fair Winds,

Misha
If the case is that the game still has to abide by Disney's esrb rating, then that is fully understandable. Isn't it completely separate from Disney though, or was some kind of contract made?

Funny how you can't use guns on human enemies but you can use grenades on them, honestly feel like disney was sort of paranoid about whether or not children would take a real gun and harm someone in real life even though I'm pretty sure studies have debunked the whole idea that video game violence with guns weren't the cause of shootings and such.

So ive replied to other threads like this in the past.. Imma say I do find t interesting we can blow humans up but we cant shoot them. Really what would cause more effect/gore in real.. Then I kinda understand why this is but WHY?? Because its classified as a 10+ rating mking it a "Kids Game" How many kids do you see playing Call Of Duty? GTA? Halo? etc... Pretty much point is most of the people in the community are adults (quite a few unless some are not telling the truth which is possible).. Then you got the kids playing games with shooting people in it..

Also kinda annoying that Navy Cadets, Guards, Veterans. Dragoons hold bayonets and can only use bayonet stab.. Then EITC bosses drop Legendary Pistols (Which is understandable by the name of them).
Honestly im perfectly fine with:
Slicing
Stabbing
Torching
Bombing
and Sucking the life outta them

If the case is that the game still has to abide by Disney's esrb rating, then that is fully understandable. Isn't it completely separate from Disney though, or was some kind of contract made?
A remake to an original game where the original is "protected" (or copyrighted still) SHOULD follow the same exact guidelines as the original game did. It is both prudent and to that remake's own self-interest to do so to prevent unexpected problems or issues further down the road. However, this is not to say the level of risk is completely diminished in so doing. *Also, not all remakes of an original (protected) game have the game's and player's own self-interest at heart. TLOPO, to my knowledge, is not one of those remakes and tries also to closely match everything to the original game - without charging a cent. ;)

Long story short and to reiterate what others have said, Disney will never support guns being used on people. It is a "cultural," political issue in real life and highly polarized. Grenades and such (on the other hand) are not but can be/should be viewed as "more violent." Last time I checked though, very little stigma is associated with the use of grenades and I suspect that is so because of their limited availability and (primary) military use.

Disney is all about human rights, avoiding (politically) motivated issues that polarize people, making a quick $buck$, and also designing story-telling around both kids and the family unit. *Push hard for TLOPO to permit guns to be used different than in POTCO and, expect the mouse SWAT team to repel from the sky!

And too...no contract has been made to dev the remake of POTCO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to 100% actually 1000% agree with this thread. I think it is entirely stupid that guns can not be used on all enemies. even in the movies if we want to go the "lore" side of it guns are very clearly shot at and used to kill. so that side of the argument is out the window.
volley fire, marines onboard ships, all of these things are possible if they would just remove this pointless and arbitrary system.
I was actually shocked to see it was still in the game to begin with. this isn't a Disney project anymore so why keep it like that?
the even fixed a lot of the problems guns had in this version of the game (double fire and some other things)
So yes, I was just about to make a thread about this, it makes no sense why we can run an enemy through with our swords but not shoot them...
please disable this childish and pointless feature and let range users (like all other mmo's ever) play the fullness of your game.

Another thing to point out is the ratings aswell, I don't think this game is played by the age it was "made " for anymore.
another thing is there are plenty of Disney games out there now where guns are used ... again I think locking half the gameplay is very stupid and actually diving players away from the game, i know it already has with two of my friends because they wanted the full pirate experience, they wanted to volley fire and attack from ranges then use the bayonet up close, but with that option not there they moved on.

Devs I hope you listen and read this thread because you are actually loosing any range class players that want to play this game because of this choice.

Last edited:
...this isn't a Disney project anymore so why keep it like that?

...it makes no sense why we can run an enemy through with our swords but not shoot them...
please disable this childish and pointless feature and let range users (like all other mmo's ever) play the fullness of your game.

Another thing to point out is the ratings aswell, I don't think this game is played by the age it was "made " for anymore.
another thing is there are plenty of Disney games out there now where guns are used ... again I think locking half the gameplay is very stupid and actually diving players away from the game...

Devs I hope you listen and read this thread because you are actually loosing any range class players that want to play this game because of this choice.
You’re not going to like the following points or reminders below:
  • Changing the “perception” of violence in-game is a departure from what POTCO was
  • Doesn’t matter if everyone ages 20 years from now and TLOPO still exists
  • What truly matters for TLOPO’s success is only “how comfortable” Disney perceives the continuation of a game that is still theirs (in the ‘same way’ that game itself was originally developed)
  • NOBODY’S opinion and stance on game violence will overrule Disney’s own stance
  • Best of luck in convincing Disney - differently - with any of the ^ above

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this as a gun violence issue and absolutely agree with Disney saying no to the use of guns on human enemies. It is too easy for people to translate the use of guns on humans in games to the real world, pulling a trigger and walking away are much the same in both worlds. In real life killing someone with a knife or sword is far different from how it is in a game, it's far less likely that someone will actually emulate swordplay in real life as they might with gun play. Gun violence is a huge issue in the US and Disney recognizes this and is on the side of family values against gun violence, tlopo should be and is the same. Should tlopo change this policy there would be huge risk of Disney intervention in order to protect their brand. This should not even be suggested imo.

Let's just imagine if there was just a single case where a 10 year old who played this game then got a hold of his father's gun and shot someone and the child then said they had enjoyed killing people with guns in this game and that inspired them to give it a try for real. How can the developers and Disney ever consider taking such risks?

Last edited:
I see this as a gun violence issue and absolutely agree with Disney saying no to the use of guns on human enemies. It is too easy for people to translate the use of guns on humans in games to the real world, pulling a trigger and walking away are much the same in both worlds. In real life killing someone with a knife or sword is far different from how it is in a game, it's far less likely that someone will actually emulate swordplay in real life as they might with gun play. Gun violence is a huge issue in the US and Disney recognizes this and is on the side of family values against gun violence, tlopo should be and is the same. Should tlopo change this policy there would be huge risk of Disney intervention in order to protect their brand. This should not even be suggested imo.

Let's just imagine if there was just a single case where a 10 year old who played this game then got a hold of his father's gun and shot someone and the child then said they had enjoyed killing people with guns in this game and that inspired them to give it a try for real. How can the developers and Disney ever consider taking such risks?
There's already a few studies that debunk your claim that video game violence relating to guns make people want to use a real gun and cause harm. I bet disney already knew parents who have the same claim would send emails to them complaining.

There's already a few studies that debunk your claim that video game violence relating to guns make people want to use a real gun and cause harm. I bet disney already knew parents who have the same claim would send emails to them complaining.
And so...therein lies the reason as to why TLOPO can’t simply change things up; *Disney has a reputation to uphold (even on a property of theirs which is expired/which was canceled).

True copyright law extends beyond...well...longer than you and I have years left to breathe in oxygen! Therefore, I remain in agreement with @Eric Sailcutter on this. ;)

And so...therein lies the reason as to why TLOPO can’t simply change things up; *Disney has a reputation to uphold (even on a property of theirs which is expired/which was canceled).

True copyright law extends beyond...well...longer than you and I have years left to breathe in oxygen! Therefore, I remain in agreement with @Eric Sailcutter on this. ;)
I doubt disney even cares what the staff does with this game since there's a club penguin private server that has nameglows for 5 dollars. Honestly what would be the point of taking legal action against a team that doesn't have millions of dollars and disney could shut this game down since they still own all the rights. I just have my doubts that disney would ruin this game solely based on the fact that players can attack human enemies with guns.

People really don't understand the law at all. Disney can only claim damages in any lawsuit if they can show financial loss. If they are not publishing their own pirates game then anything tlopo does can't be cutting into their profits. As long as tlopo doesn't charge money for playing the game, then it falls under the category of "fan fiction". Tlopo can change,anything they want to about the story or game mechanics with no fear of being sued for financial damages. This includes having pirates shoot other pirates with guns....o wait we can already do that.

Minecraft is rated for 7 year olds to play yet it is easily modified to allow players to shoot each other with guns.

Must I say that todays kids are playing games such as:
Call of Duty
GTA
Borderlands
^^ games of this category... All have guns shooting other people in them.. So really whats the issue with having pirates shooting navy etc.. I mean we can already BLOW them up, catch them on Fire, and slice them with swords/daggers. In reality what would cause more effect a grenade or a gun??
I agree with this thread entirely but I do understand why it isn't in game either way is fine with me.

Back