videos in threads!

squintz

Pirate Lord
How do I turn off video auto play in the forums. Or any loaded animation for that matter. Or maybe it's just the gifs. But I don't want them playing. I can't find this in the prefs.

It might just be GIFs, as there shouldn't be any autoplaying videos on the forums. If you find an actual autoplaying video (especially if it has sound) then let me know and I'll look into it.

We don't expose any preferences for GIFs as it stands.

Are you having YouTube videos auto playing here on the forums?

I have auto play disabled for YouTube, and I tend to be logged in there a lot while I'm here. I don't have any videos auto play on the forums. If it's YouTube, you might log in and turn auto play off there.

Most modern browsers offer built-in autoplay blocking functionality. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge (Chromium) offer "Autoplay" permissions that you can set to block the autoplaying of audio, video, or both on a per-site basis.

Most modern browsers offer built-in autoplay blocking functionality. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge (Chromium) offer "Autoplay" permissions that you can set to block the autoplaying of audio, video, or both on a per-site basis.
Thanks, but apparently it's the gifs, and I don't see that in firefox settings, and as Mr. Darkrage informed, the forums have no prefs for gifs at this time.
Thanks all for the input.

Thanks, but apparently it's the gifs, and I don't see that in firefox settings, and as Mr. Darkrage informed, the forums have no prefs for gifs at this time.
Thanks all for the input.
Correct, this also works for gifs.

Here's what Firefox's options look like (see Autoplay):

I can confirm that option stops the autoplaying of gifs (at least of the ones I've seen/tested on the forums).

It's worth noting that a lot of image sharing websites will convert GIFs to silent videos which typically have a much smaller file size and consequently save bandwidth and load quicker. When posting links from these services, the video versions often wind up getting embedded in their place. To that end, disabling video autoplay in your browser can prevent these from autoplaying, but I believe true GIFs will still display normally.

For reference, here is a true GIF:
migdCkf.gif

Yep, nothing I do stops that guy.
Also, nothing like that settings page appears in my firefox ver 70.

Last edited:
Back