Suggestion Ways of dealing with AFKing on ships

I like the idea of somehow dealing with leeches. Being able to boot them into jail would be great! They are annoying, at best, especially when repairs are needed. Maybe some sort of icon showing cannon and repair AND AFK next to each sailor's name (not just crew) similar to the wheel and aboard-ship indicators. I think it's ok to stand about if no cannon is available but most ships in battle need nearly constant repair so why not do that, leeches?

Didnt they have an icon back in potco, where ya could see a cannon symbol if the pirate was on a cannon? I dont believe the repair crew had an icon by their name, but that would be great too. My only fear there is that ppl will go afk on cannons or on repairs, with repair slots limited that could turn out bad for all

I'm in the school of the captain (ship owner) should have unlimited control of who is on his ship. There is no need to have complex systems for this. I've heard the arguments against this saying captains would abuse this power but I disagree. Any captain who abuses such power would certainly gain a reputation for such and the problem would then be self correcting.

I agree a captian should have the control, not only will it fix the afk problem, but the bickering I see on some ships. trolls are everywhere I know this, but there have been times I was on cannon, hearing the capt and a random troll type pirate, creating all kinds of problems. Yeah 'ignore' works but would be nice if the questionable pirate could get booted, Ive captained a voyage or two, here and there, and have had a less than desirable personality on my ship, short of porting and starting again, there is no way I know of to make it stop.

Why dont we get a vote kick system? That would be the most fair way to kick people off your boat IMO. A little window pops up like a crew request or friend request, and the majority decides whether they stay or leave. Let's get some democracy in TLOPO!

LOL, another thread devolving into the "boot player" option that will never be implemented for obvious potential to abuse the boot option...
However, what you can do is kick pirates from crew who are doing nothing. This can be tricky tho, since a full ship cannot accommodate all the players sitting on cannons and some pirates will appear to be doing nothing only because yer an awesome capn and taking no damage, leaving those without cannons with nothing to do.
But besides all of that, after kicking afk players from crew, you sink yer own ship, and let everyone die. Then you repair yer ship, relaunch it and only allow crew back on. Then you port immediately, without using the cannons, and you and your crew get all the loot, and the afk players are left high and dry, in jail!
Tedious, but a fun workaround for the afk crew!
Just to let you know that doesn't work any more in any form. I've tried numerous times when dc'd or public sailing port crashing and it never worked. Seems fair to me you get sunk or dc' you lose that voyage' loot.

Why dont we get a vote kick system? That would be the most fair way to kick people off your boat IMO. A little window pops up like a crew request or friend request, and the majority decides whether they stay or leave. Let's get some democracy in TLOPO!
I'm all for democracy, but this is MY SHIP! Why would I let other people vote if I want to plank a dead beat crew member? Am I going to ask for a vote if people want to smoke in my car? Heck no. And what happens if you get the multi account player, who jumps on a ship in numbers either invited or not and sucks up the crew bonus? That happens every day.

Naa, no vote except the captains BOOT vote. Walk the plank dead beat. Done.

I also didn't realize that it seems that your loot as crew is proportional to your time on another persons ship. It makes sense to me now.
I naively thought one gets full loot no matter when you jumped on. Which is ridiculous when one thinks about it. I'm positive many people may think they can jump on full cargo and get everything. I will try to find a ship just heading out if I even ever do public. I only do public when I need some mats. I proved my theory to myself many times in the last few months.

The way I tested this was to go on a public ship at full cargo, then go on that same ship from empty cargo. Very noticeable difference.

No, we need a captain boot button and the 'abuse' will be insignificant. As I said before, the ONLY people complaining will be the multi accounts and people who run AFK on a regular basis. This boot button will never effect regular team members who contribute on a ship.

Also, it's not like a mmo instance event where all people sign up and since no one is a raid leader, there is a kick vote mechanism to allow the whole group to get rid of someone. And when YOU create a dungeon or instant as a raid leader, YOU get the kick vote alone. It's your instance/raid you created and open to invite. Just like opening your ship to public.
I'm inviting you to my ship to be a contributing crew member, not some dead beat sucking up every ones resources and bonuses.

If people who do multiple accounts want to have other multi's on their ship that's their business. But as far as I'm concerned, no one has a right to tell me how to vote, or I have to vote to dump a slug from my own ship.

Sorry, there's nothing-NOTHING beneficial to a ship or captain who unknowingly invites a AFK or multi account level 1 on board.
Only to the AFK'r is there benefits.

There is no defending a unkown afk being on board unless it was an agreement with the ship owner and guild or friends.
Strangers don't let strangers AFK.

I suggest this simple solution for now:

Boot anyone who's AFK on ship and place them on port of call or jail instantly.

This is not the most optimal solution perhaps, but this is harmless enough that no one would abuse it. The problem would be addressed to large extent.

I'm strictly against pirates having authority to boot others, even if he's captain. This game doesn't have any way to negatively impact others and there is no competitive component. I would prefer it remained that way. Reporting for unacceptable behavior is already there.

The joke is on you with this one because people will just move around every x amount of time to avoid the AFK timer and to avoid getting kicked.

Captains should just be able to kick people off their ship at their discretion and if people want to 'abuse' this then at the end of the day they are just getting a bad reputation for themselves.

The joke is on you with this one because people will just move around every x amount of time to avoid the AFK timer and to avoid getting kicked.

Captains should just be able to kick people off their ship at their discretion and if people want to 'abuse' this then at the end of the day they are just getting a bad reputation for themselves.

I am asking you to first implement this.

I already told you this is not the most optimal solution or final solution, but it would deal with fraction of AFK leechers.

Implement this first, then see how much of the problem persists. I doubt everyone of them would do it manually or automate movement to avoid AFK boot. Implement this part first because it might have loopholes, but it's simple and doesn't have negatives.

Most leechers are still there socializing with their guild through guild chat and all that. This would again mark those people 'active' hence why a system like this would be a waste of time. I'm not saying every single darn leecher on here does but a huge portion of them no doubt. You're better off giving captains a kick button since captains can just easily hand out warnings to crew members that are up to no good and if they cross the line he or she can just kick the person

I doubt everyone of them would do it manually or automate movement to avoid AFK boot.
No suprises in this community anymore. People are certainly gonna go out of their lane to create scripts and all that just to avoid this system.

Most leechers are still there socializing with their guild through guild chat and all that. This would again mark those people 'active' hence why a system like this would be a waste of time. I'm not saying every single darn leecher on here does but a huge portion of them no doubt. You're better off giving captains a kick button since captains can just easily hand out warnings to crew members that are up to no good and if they cross the line he or she can just kick the person

No suprises in this community anymore. People are certainly gonna go out of their lane to create scripts and all that just to avoid this system.

Let's have this AFK boot thing first before we go to that captain boot. I think captain feature could backfire hard.

Let's have this AFK boot thing first before we go to that captain boot. I think captain feature could backfire hard.

It would not backfire. Perhaps for the afk and leeching people. But that's gonna be their problem. And if people abuse it. They would get reported or their name gets out for being someone who abuses it.

There are already checks and balances in place to combat abuse if it happens. I also did not hear any mention of this abuse in SvS.

So I'd rather have the option to be able to boot the afk and leeches to make room for contributing people.

Since I stopped sailing with public open due to the huge amount of afk and leeches present on my ship. I played long enough to know that some afk timer isn't gonna fix it anymore.

It would not backfire. Perhaps for the afk and leeching people. But that's gonna be their problem. And if people abuse it. They would get reported or their name gets out for being someone who abuses it.

There are already checks and balances in place to combat abuse if it happens. I also did not hear any mention of this abuse in SvS.

So I'd rather have the option to be able to boot the afk and leeches to make room for contributing people.

Since I stopped sailing with public open due to the huge amount of afk and leeches present on my ship. I played long enough to know that some afk timer isn't gonna fix it anymore.
l8UpHdf.png

I suggest this simple solution for now:

This is not the most optimal solution perhaps, but this is harmless enough that no one would abuse it. The problem would be addressed to large extent.

I'm strictly against pirates having authority to boot others, even if he's captain. This game doesn't have any way to negatively impact others and there is no competitive component. I would prefer it remained that way. Reporting for unacceptable behavior is already there.
Did you just join the game or this forum? In PVP there is. And AFK done on purpose on someone else public ship IS negatively effecting everyone.
Regardless what the multi account and afk'r players say. AFK'ing with people you know on their own ship is fine and their business, AFK'g on my ship randomly and without permission is just wrong and selfish and I do not have to be forced to put up with it.

Give us a choice, or a walk the plank button if we choose to use it.

There's of course more to just kicking someone, the stats need to be adjusted, items need to be deleted or registered, etc etc. The game should take care of the background stuff when the boot happens. It's up to the game dev's to decide what a boot incurs. To me, I'd like to see the player dumped to the nearest port with no loot or anything gained including exp. I'm not trying to punish them, just remove them from my game experience.

All that he/she would have gotten would be left on board AND the mechanism that when I hit the boot button, that player is put on my ignore list game wide. She will no longer see my ship in public from then on and I will no longer see that alias as well. So two birds with one boot button.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

And seriously, I don't care about afk'rs, or multi accounts crying about captain abuse, because it won't exist in any appreciable way at all.
I haven't seen a regular game player yet that thinks this is a bad idea.

Did you just join the game or this forum? In PVP there is. And AFK done on purpose on someone else public ship IS negatively effecting everyone.
Regardless what the multi account and afk'r players say. AFK'ing with people you know on their own ship is fine and their business, AFK'g on my ship randomly and without permission is just wrong and selfish and I do not have to be forced to put up with it.

Give us a choice, or a walk the plank button if we choose to use it.

There's of course more to just kicking someone, the stats need to be adjusted, items need to be deleted or registered, etc etc. The game should take care of the background stuff when the boot happens. It's up to the game dev's to decide what a boot incurs. To me, I'd like to see the player dumped to the nearest port with no loot or anything gained including exp. I'm not trying to punish them, just remove them from my game experience.

All that he/she would have gotten would be left on board AND the mechanism that when I hit the boot button, that player is put on my ignore list game wide. She will no longer see my ship in public from then on and I will no longer see that alias as well. So two birds with one boot button.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

And seriously, I don't care about afk'rs, or multi accounts crying about captain abuse, because it won't exist in any appreciable way at all.
I haven't seen a regular game player yet that thinks this is a bad idea.

The addition of automatically ignoring them, and having your ship be unavailable to them in the future, is probably one of the better ideas I've seen on these threads. To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't already been implemented.

Hello, as the title says, I've noticed a lot of people boarding ships, asking for crew and then proceed to just stand there the entire run. I'm getting a bit sick of looking at my maxed out crew capacity (and sometimes exceeded) and only having one, maybe two gunners at best, it prevents people who would participate from boarding and is frankly annoying and selfish.

Since booting people off is a bit tricky to handle properly (but I'm not opposed), I'd suggest that in order to receive loot you must satisfy some of the following criteria:
1. Man a cannon and actively fire and score hits on targets
2. Actively repair the ship
3. Participate in chat, public or crew (must have a fellow crew member aboard)
*Failure to meet any one of these requirements would result in a significant reduction of loot upon docking.

*A possible booting option would be to have a timer say after 2 minutes (to start with) of not moving "poke" them and if no response or frequent "pokes" give the captain the option to boot them or have the system do it.
I agree with all of it except the chatting, I'm not a very talkative person so chatting in crew isnt my thing. Also some of the kids that cant type or arent allowed to use that chat would be singled out i would think. I think much like dungeon running in World of Warcraft there should be a group vote then kick from the ship or something along those lines.

The addition of automatically ignoring them, and having your ship be unavailable to them in the future, is probably one of the better ideas I've seen on these threads. To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't already been implemented.
Thank you, and just like any other ignore feature, even in tlopo, you would still have the option to un-ignore them if you choose to do so.
It is already in game in function right now.

Just like the selling screen feature I've been annoyingly whining about where you click an item you dropped into the sell screen but changed your mind, it goes automatically back to your inventory and why the dev's can't reverse that function for passing an item quickly to the 6 spot sell screen. That ability alone would probably only take 6 seconds from picking to selling all 6 items. And probably wouldn't need more programming to increase selling slots. But I don't know what the devs are up against.

gl

I agree with all of it except the chatting, I'm not a very talkative person so chatting in crew isnt my thing. Also some of the kids that cant type or arent allowed to use that chat would be singled out i would think. I think much like dungeon running in World of Warcraft there should be a group vote then kick from the ship or something along those lines.
I agree with a lot you said, but, we're talking about a personal ship, not a group effort created by an in game instance function. Group votes make sense in that situation.

Forcing some sort of vote thing while you are dealing with sailing and other crew is insurmountable and very demanding on a player that just wants some extra help on the hunt when she opens her ship for that cruise. People may be more open to put up with this crap if they have an option to make PIRATES WALK THE PLANK instantly.

To the sharks with ye, ya leeching squid! Voting on your own ship is pretty useless and unfair. IMO.

Remember, it's YOUR SHIP, why should a stranger have some sort of vote over you?
And another thing. I've been on a ship where the capt admitted he had 5 more alts of his on the ship. So if some multi account person sends her whole gang of alts on my ship, how in the world would I vote them off?

Tink aboot dat.

Back