Suggestion Ways of dealing with AFKing on ships

I agree with a lot you said, but, we're talking about a personal ship, not a group effort created by an in game instance function. Group votes make sense in that situation.

Forcing some sort of vote thing while you are dealing with sailing and other crew is insurmountable and very demanding on a player that just wants some extra help on the hunt when she opens her ship for that cruise. People may be more open to put up with this crap if they have an option to make PIRATES WALK THE PLANK instantly.

To the sharks with ye, ya leeching squid! Voting on your own ship is pretty useless and unfair. IMO.

Remember, it's YOUR SHIP, why should a stranger have some sort of vote over you?
And another thing. I've been on a ship where the capt admitted he had 5 more alts of his on the ship. So if some multi account person sends her whole gang of alts on my ship, how in the world would I vote them off?

Tink aboot dat.
Yikes 5 alts!! No thanks, I see where that could be a problem then. I guess i didnt think about it thoroughly. Either way i think the boot option could be a good edition to the game. Either add it as a function for crew (captain use only) or just put it on the player card as an option to boot.

Won't work in PVP, but work it out with your crew for them to teleport off, then sink it.

Not sure if I have to take you serious with this one or not.

how in the world would I vote them off?
iyknAx5.png

Let's have this AFK boot thing first before we go to that captain boot. I think captain feature could backfire hard.
Why are you defending afk'rs, because you seem to be by not even entertaining a captain boot option. It would be an option.
The only reason I see that people argue the boot option would be abused seems to be they will be the ones booted. Again just give the owner of his own ship the right to kick afk abusers. Yes that's right, AFK'g IS ABUSE.
I don't understand anyones argument that afk'g on a strangers open ship is somehow beneficial to anyone else other than the leech doing it.
It's not, there's no defense. You are not going to come into my home after I invited you to fix my toilet and then sit on your butt watching tv or texting all the while saying I have to pay you and if I don't like it, other strangers need to vote you out of my house.

What utter nonsense.

Why are you defending afk'rs, because you seem to be by not even entertaining a captain boot option. It would be an option.
The only reason I see that people argue the boot option would be abused seems to be they will be the ones booted. Again just give the owner of his own ship the right to kick afk abusers. Yes that's right, AFK'g IS ABUSE.
I don't understand anyones argument that afk'g on a strangers open ship is somehow beneficial to anyone else other than the leech doing it.
It's not, there's no defense. You are not going to come into my home after I invited you to fix my toilet and then sit on your butt watching tv or texting all the while saying I have to pay you and if I don't like it, other strangers need to vote you out of my house.

What utter nonsense.
I'm not defending AFK people. I don't know what part made you think that. In fact, I am asking to kick AFK people automatically. So, you are the one speaking non-sense there.

I am against Captain boot option after entertaining and considering it. I think it is very easy to abuse and misuse (e.g. Captain kicks everyone before porting or kicks anyone he does not like for any random reason, after that person repaired and helped around during entire run); and that is quite common opinion. I therefore propose AFK auto-boot on ships implemented first, before giving captains power to kick people out of ship if auto-boot is not sufficient to discourage them.

I'll say it again, I am against unhelpful people on ship/people who alt-tab or chat around after boarding ships to farm materials, gold and loot. Please read and understand what I said before you start arguing or accusing me of leeching using caps.

Here's my own take on AFK (annoying) pirates/leeches on ships not their own: If you open your ship up to the PUBLIC, you actually "set yourself up" to all sorts of things opening up a ship to the PUBLIC entails. It's not fair but, it comes with the territory (more or less).

Better to sail with trustworthy friends on expeditions straight and true. It's not what every Captain likes to hear but, it be far worth your own time to be doin' so.

I'm not defending AFK people. I don't know what part made you think that. In fact, I am asking to kick AFK people automatically. So, you are the one speaking non-sense there.

I am against Captain boot option after entertaining and considering it. I think it is very easy to abuse and misuse (e.g. Captain kicks everyone before porting or kicks anyone he does not like for any random reason, after that person repaired and helped around during entire run); and that is quite common opinion. I therefore propose AFK auto-boot on ships implemented first, before giving captains power to kick people out of ship if auto-boot is not sufficient to discourage them.

I'll say it again, I am against unhelpful people on ship/people who alt-tab or chat around after boarding ships to farm materials, gold and loot. Please read and understand what I said before you start arguing or accusing me of leeching using caps.
I'm not accusing you of leeching. Totally against any 'auto boot or auto anything' mechanism. That opens the game and developers up to mammoth grief from players and an unending workload of deciding what the parameters are for auto kick. No game I know of has anything like that, because it wouldn't be fair to anyone. There are a hundred reasons why someone may not be active instantly when boarding a ship from lag, dc'd, anything. And only a human being can quickly see what the problem is. As it should be. There's already a rather large delay between an active pirate and a afk status assigned by the games timer. This alone can give afr's plenty of time to get on near the end and gain minimal loot and rep. And I also support no restrictions or rules assigned to the captains boot option at all. Again, almost all complaints will come from the minuscule number of abusers themselves getting their butt kicked.

Sorry, but I believe there's like 90% of tlopo players who play the game fairly and don't abuse anything and the afr's and cheats and multi accounts are under 10% of the total population. So, I'm not concerned about what a vast minority of less than honorable people are going to complain about because they got treated as they deserved.

And I should say something about multi account players. In most cases, from what I read here and talked to people, people with multi accounts and active alts keep mostly to themselves or friends and level alts and such. And since tlopo allows this, this is fine as they do not for the most part effect other players. Running alts and such in PVE has almost zero effect on other game players. So, a even less population are multi accounts are abusing open ships. So to put this in a speculative ratio, if 100 people are running alts, I would say just 10 of those people abuse multi accounts-ie: jumping ships purposely to leech.

None of what I comment involves SVS or PVP, as this is where multi's and alts CAN effect other players and I don't do pvp.svs ever.

Here's my own take on AFK (annoying) pirates/leeches on ships not their own: If you open your ship up to the PUBLIC, you actually "set yourself up" to all sorts of things opening up a ship to the PUBLIC entails. It's not fair but, it comes with the territory (more or less).

Better to sail with trustworthy friends on expeditions straight and true. It's not what every Captain likes to hear but, it be far worth your own time to be doin' so.
Shamus, that territory shouldn't come with excepting people who abuse exploits to improve their personal stats. So, you're saying that I can not remove a stranger with drugs who comes into my house with a distant friend who I invited to my party? Just because I opened my house to people doesn't mean I give up all rights to control my house. My ship is my house, I don't want you there, I should have the right to send you packing. I will continue to stress my contention that the only complaints will be from the kicked who were attempting the abuse.
And that captain abuse will be almost zero. Let the booted abuser complain and see how far they get. For one thing, making it known to dev's that you tried to be afk and got booted will be a target on you. No, we shouldn't have to accept a 'comes with the territory' mass mentality.

We are NOT talking about anything else but public ships open to public, not friends, guilds.

Yes we are opening our ship to strangers, and most are respectful and team players. We should not have to accept that a minority is allowed to abuse EVERYONE else just because a captain has no option to control leeches and abusers.

Give the captains an unfettered kick option now and see how it works out in the real game world of tlopo.
Want to bet a cursed blade and severed finger that 95% of the population would embrace this concept totally and NOT abuse it like the people who afk are trying to make everyone else believe?

I'm down with a WEB and TWO severed fingers on the table.

Last edited:
Shamus, that territory shouldn't come with excepting people who abuse exploits to improve their personal stats. So, you're saying that I can not remove a stranger with drugs who comes into my house with a distant friend who I invited to my party? Just because I opened my house to people doesn't mean I give up all rights to control my house. My ship is my house, I don't want you there, I should have the right to send you packing. I will continue to stress my contention that the only complaints will be from the kicked who were attempting the abuse.
And that captain abuse will be almost zero. Let the booted abuser complain and see how far they get. For one thing, making it known to dev's that you tried to be afk and got booted will be a target on you. No, we shouldn't have to accept a 'comes with the territory' mass mentality.

We are NOT talking about anything else but public ships open to public, not friends, guilds.

Yes we are opening our ship to strangers, and most are respectful and team players. We should not have to accept a minority is allowed to abuse EVERYONE else just because a captain has no option to control leeches and abusers.

Give the captains an unfettered kick option now and see how it works out in the real game world of tlopo.
Want to bet a cursed blade and severed finger that 95% of the population would embrace this concept totally and NOT abuse it like the people who afk are trying to make everyone else believe?

Woah, calm down there buddy. Since when was TLOPO supposed to be compared to real world situations... If you open your ship to the public, you run the risk of having people who feel as though they can AFK or maybe sometimes players need to do something urgent and then leave to go do that task because its a game and you shouldn't prioritize it over things that need to be done in the real world. I understand the anger and trust me I don't like it when I give people a free ride, but then you start to think, does it really matter... Just complete the run, crew the people who earned the loot and then close the ship, you should only need two to three people on a ship to have fun...

Woah, calm down there buddy. Since when was TLOPO supposed to be compared to real world situations... If you open your ship to the public, you run the risk of having people who feel as though they can AFK or maybe sometimes players need to do something urgent and then leave to go do that task because its a game and you shouldn't prioritize it over things that need to be done in the real world. I understand the anger and trust me I don't like it when I give people a free ride, but then you start to think, does it really matter... Just complete the run, crew the people who earned the loot and then close the ship, you should only need two to three people on a ship to have fun...
The real game world of tlopo, not the real world. I never implied that. But real cheats exist, and people who think it's fun or funny to cheat are in all computer games. And again and again, why not give captains a kick button so they can mitigate that 'risk' from abusers.

And yes, everyone knows when you open you ship to the public any old body can jump on, good pirates and bad pirates. Pirates who care and pirates who are slugs, leeches and punks. And telling people they have to take the good with the bad no matter how disruptive they are is basically a cop out. But we don't have to have that situation with a kick button.
I will self officially call it a 'walk the plank' button.

Does it matter? In the game yes, or there would be no threads at all about afk. In almost most battles you do need all hands to survive.
Having afk'rs filling up spots where a active player would have been repairing or shooting works against you and matters. Why even have this discussion if it didn't matter to people, whatever their reasons. I'm not in the 'he/she is stealing my loot camp' but more in the afk'r is by their selfish actions is now influencing the outcome of my sailing session. He/she afk'r can and does sink ships due to their spot taking and no work. The afk'r isn't altering my or my crews loot and rep per se as far as I can tell directly, but if they sink me then they are effecting my loot, rep and anything else from sailing, but they are creating situations that a captain shouldn't have to put up with.

And you can not crew people near the end of the voyage because they don't get any of the crew bonuses had they started as crew. At least that's how I understand it. I thought crew bonus was only stood for rep. I could be wrong.

gl

Last edited:

Yes we are opening our ship to strangers, and most are respectful and team players. We should not have to accept a minority is allowed to abuse EVERYONE else just because a captain has no option to control leeches and abusers.

If in-game hacking and/or game exploitations are still occurring :mad:, then I am sorry because really...such action taken hurts "us all" (really) as a close-knit community.

This issue/problem has no easy answer! Only thing I can share is the need to keep pirates accountable for their action/inaction but...that belief too is controversial, at best, by even the most soberest of pirates. *With a game being played online, it's just EXTREMELY hard to nudge people to change. Best thing any of us can do is, be better (and different) that the average bear...err...ship Captain.

- It's a balance not always witnessed and even less so, experienced (online).

The real game world of tlopo, not the real world. I never implied that. But real cheats exist, and people who think it's fun or funny to cheat are in all computer games. And again and again, why not give captains a kick button so they can mitigate that 'risk' from abusers.

And yes, everyone knows when you open you ship to the public any old body can jump on, good pirates and bad pirates. Pirates who care and pirates who are slugs, leeches and punks. And telling people they have to take the good with the bad no matter how disruptive they are is basically a cop out. But we don't have to have that situation with a kick button.
I will self officially call it a 'walk the plank' button.

Does it matter? In the game yes, or there would be no threads at all about afk. In almost most battles you do need all hands to survive.
Having afk'rs filling up spots where a active player would have been repairing or shooting works against you and matters. Why even have this discussion if it didn't matter to people, whatever their reasons. I'm not in the 'he/she is stealing my loot camp' but more in the afk'r is by their selfish actions is now influencing the outcome of my sailing session. He/she afk'r can and does sink ships due to their spot taking and no work. The afk'r isn't altering my or my crews loot and rep per se as far as I can tell directly, but if they sink me then they are effecting my loot, rep and anything else from sailing, but they are creating situations that a captain shouldn't have to put up with.

And you can not crew people near the end of the voyage because they don't get any of the crew bonuses had they started as crew. At least that's how I understand it. I thought crew bonus was only stood for rep. I could be wrong.

gl
I use crew as a way to control the people that enter my ship by checking the crew and friend only tab and guild when I’m feeling helpful, I don’t need exp and most of my crew doesn’t but it’s a nice way to control who boards your ship, I’m not against the feature, I just know a lot of game where the feature is abused or misused and I feel like it wouldn’t give room for error, let’s say I was a level 10 and there was a lvl 50 and I had a cannon slot and the level 50 was friends with the captain so they called the vote or the captain kicked me to let the higher level player use the cannon and not allow me to level up or claim my rewards, plus there’s the possiblility that someone might be annoyed so they kick the whole crew before port just to make a point, there’s so many things that could be abused but if the devs were to somehow balance it, I think it would be an amazing feature, until then though, we will need to have our board permissions closely monitored.

I use crew as a way to control the people that enter my ship by checking the crew and friend only tab and guild when I’m feeling helpful, I don’t need exp and most of my crew doesn’t but it’s a nice way to control who boards your ship, I’m not against the feature, I just know a lot of game where the feature is abused or misused and I feel like it wouldn’t give room for error, let’s say I was a level 10 and there was a lvl 50 and I had a cannon slot and the level 50 was friends with the captain so they called the vote or the captain kicked me to let the higher level player use the cannon and not allow me to level up or claim my rewards, plus there’s the possiblility that someone might be annoyed so they kick the whole crew before port just to make a point, there’s so many things that could be abused but if the devs were to somehow balance it, I think it would be an amazing feature, until then though, we will need to have our board permissions closely monitored.
I kinda get your scenario, but I still don't see a captain abuse happening, and in your scenario, If a captain has friends show up, don't they usually set this up before hand? I think so. I'm not understanding such a strong opposition against giving someone more control of their ship. For one thing, so far from the beginning, the afk'r has all the control and jumps ships at will. They don't care what happens on that ship, they don't care if it sinks or makes it. Whatever little gain they get is what they want. If the afk'r lasts long enough on one ship to get 10 iron, he/she just gets on another after another and gets iron and stuff for as long as they want with no effort.

And it's important to note all my arguments are about random unknown leeches, NOT a player that was part of a group, guild or player invited to a particular ship and all aboard is part of the afk group or agreement. When this is done with acknowledgement of the captain and agreements and arrangements, I have nothing to say against that at all. It doesn't effect my game in the least.

Let's have this AFK boot thing first before we go to that captain boot. I think captain feature could backfire hard.
I still disagree. Why would you force it on the dev's to design something and waste their time when a simple boot button for the owner of the ship to use at their discretion and their mind works far more efficient than any script can. Again, arguing from the group getting kicked doesn't hold much weight in this discussion.

I still disagree. Why would you force it on the dev's to design something and waste their time when a simple boot button for the owner of the ship to use at their discretion and their mind works far more efficient than any script can. Again, arguing from the group getting kicked doesn't hold much weight in this discussion.
Hey, here's an issue where we completely agree. I strongly believe that the ship's owner should have complete control of who is aboard their ship and strongly disagree with anyone who complains that such power could/would be abused. I recall getting the boot in potco SvS a few times, probably to make room for a friend or guildie and I had no problem with it, it was their ship. I think that if the boot were implemented and you felt you got the boot unfairly then you should not sail with that captain again, if you do, it would be your fault not the fault of an abusive captain when you find yourself eating sand.

I think that if the boot were implemented and you felt you got the boot unfairly then you should not sail with that captain again, if you do, it would be your fault not the fault of an abusive captain when you find yourself eating sand.

FINALLY.

I've been browsing the forums looking for this solution and NOBODY was posting it some people were posting similar ideas, at least in this thread, but none which hit the nail on the head so perfectly. I didn't want to post it myself because I figured all I would get in reply is the same inane garbage about how we shouldn't implement it because of all the poor little people who will be abused.

Seriously? Who gives a flying fish if it is abused? If a captain behaves immorally and boots everyone to hog the loot then take note and don't sail with that captain again. If you do and in return continue to receive that boot abuse then you've no one else to blame but yourself.

People need to quit crying about how someone MIGHT abuse a system because all they're spouting is hypothetical spam when in actuality we currently HAVE a system that IS being abused.

Last edited:
So what i have been doing recently to get rid of people who go afk on my ship if i choose to make it public is this.

We launch 2 ships.

One is open to public.

The other is only open to guild.

The ship open to public has a small hold. The two ships pirate together sharing in loot and speeding up the whole looting process through their combined fire power.

The public ship gets full and ports.

On land I announce that the second ship (which is already very full) is available for boarding only by good and loyal crew who have worked hard to make the cut.

I then boot the leeches as well as people who I know exploit the game ( Like those who raise gold by cheating in svs)

The second ship is opened to crew at this time who usually marvel at the amount of gold and loot they are getting in such a short time.

So what i have been doing recently to get rid of people who go afk on my ship if i choose to make it public is this.

We launch 2 ships.

One is open to public.

The other is only open to guild.

The ship open to public has a small hold. The two ships pirate together sharing in loot and speeding up the whole looting process through their combined fire power.

The public ship gets full and ports.

On land I announce that the second ship (which is already very full) is available for boarding only by good and loyal crew who have worked hard to make the cut.

I then boot the leeches as well as people who I know exploit the game ( Like those who raise gold by cheating in svs)

The second ship is opened to crew at this time who usually marvel at the amount of gold and loot they are getting in such a short time.

That's interesting. May I ask how one 'makes the cut'?

That's interesting. May I ask how one 'makes the cut'?

We have a guild mate on the wheel of both ships so I can manage crew.

This leaves me free to observe crew performance. If people work over half the time they are keepers.

Work is:

Shooting
Repairing
Singing sailing songs in chat

And of course if I know they are svs gold farmers then there is nothing they can do to make the cut

Last edited:
Back