Question WD Blue HDD

Jim Hexskull

Wiki Staff
Alright so I bought a 1TB WD Blue HDD for my pc as a second storage device. Hooked it all up, but I can't format it. It doesn't show in my computer, it does show in device manager, but doesn't show in disk management so I can't format it. All drivers are up to date, and tried it with a known working sata cable, and nothing. Any help is much appreciated.

does it show up in bios? maybe boot from windows disk, and on the hdd select page see if it detects it.

Use disk manager,
Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management. Use Windows+R to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box and tap OK. Or, Open Disk Management in Computer Management.

Also, WD offers free customer support for new drives, so you can call them and they will help you land the 747.

If it doesn't show up in disk management, then it's not installed or the SATA cable is faulty, which is quite common. Swap cables and SATA ports and the problem will be solved in most cases. Also, make sure the power and SATA cables are properly inserted, as they sometimes seem like they are but are not inserted all the way. A faulty SATA cable will provide the data BIOS needs to recognize the drive, but not enough data for Disk management to format it.
Another possible solution is the change the bios settings to AHCI from IDE if applicable.
Also, this is a more common problem with WD than other drives.
And finally, call WD free support!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that common for a SATA cable to be faulty if it's new(I assume it's new), but it's definitely worth trying another one and making sure it's plugged in right. It's a lot more common that the cable came out during cable management than you have a faulty cable.

Windows can be finicky with seeing drives, that's why I suggest easeus partition manager. If you have a Linux computer you can try it in there.

If WD's support is anything like their RMA, they'll take a week to reply to you, then two weeks to process your question xD

Back