Suggestion Website donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimTabouretski

Buccaneer
Hello everyone,

I've read on the forum that you don't accept donations because of Disney's policy. I understand that you don't want any problems but I think you could accept donations for the website (hosting, etc). I don't think Disney would have any problems with that. Let me know if it is possible.

Ps: I remember that you used to do that, but I don't know why you removed it.

Thanks,
Simon

Actually Pirates Forums has never taken donations.

One of the forums that Tom O'fury ran did at one point, but wasn't connected to either this forums or TLOPO.
Pirates Online Forums did take donations, but wasn't connected to this forums either. It was a fansite for POTCO when it was still open.

I hope that clears up a bit of confusion that seems to be going around concerning PF.

Idk why Davy never opted for donations. He would have to answer that. But, I have a feeling that he does not want to take donations.

Well, if the game grows, we may need donations in order to survive. However, maybe we should get people to donate for special forum perks.

Not sure.. :)

Yea, I like the donating idea, but no rewards that's not really how donating works. another remake is asking for donations, and they are going to give stuff to people who do which to me just doesn't fit how the word donation is defined. Just my two cents though :)

Retribution is taking donations to support their remake?

We have not asked for donations or any other contributions from our community. What exactly is being copied?
Yes, Retribution right now is holding a poll to take donations. To me that's ridiculous
Can't put link in bc it doesn't work

Last edited:
I'm unsure of this discussion is referring to PF, TLOPO, or both - please forgive me if it is not about TLOPO.

We have received offers for donations from many in the community, and every single one is appreciated. Personally, it warms my heart that some are willing to spend real money in an effort to help out TLOPO staff with their endeavor.

However, we have chosen to not accept these donations. I think this excerpt from TLOPO's FAQ says it perfectly:

"The Legend of Pirates Online is 100% free. We vow to never charge anyone to play our remake of Disney's game. We are not in this for the money or the fame, we are completely non-profit and refuse to accept donations. We will pay the necessary costs for this game completely out of our pockets. Don't worry, we gotcha covered."

Thank you very much for being willing. That means a lot to us :)

I'm unsure of this discussion is referring to PF, TLOPO, or both - please forgive me if it is not about TLOPO.

We have received offers for donations from many in the community, and every single one is appreciated. Personally, it warms my heart that some are willing to spend real money in an effort to help out TLOPO staff with their endeavor.

However, we have chosen to not accept these donations. I think this excerpt from TLOPO's FAQ says it perfectly:

"The Legend of Pirates Online is 100% free. We vow to never charge anyone to play our remake of Disney's game. We are not in this for the money or the fame, we are completely non-profit and refuse to accept donations. We will pay the necessary costs for this game completely out of our pockets. Don't worry, we gotcha covered."

Thank you very much for being willing. That means a lot to us :)
I was talking about another remake others are talking about both I think though.

I was talking about another remake others are talking about both I think though.

another remake is "Pirates Online Rewritten", which was a project that came before TLOPO. If you're referring to Retch, that's something else.

Allow me to clarify one thing. Pirates Forums is completely able to accept donations or Digital Ocean sponsorship. However, at this time they have chosen not to. Their decision to accept donations has nothing to do with TLOPO. TLOPO is affiliated with PF, but we are not owned by the same people, nor do we have the same staff. This affiliation is not in any way a determinant of the choice to take donations. If PF ever did take donations, that would be their choice alone, completely separate of TLOPO.

And I won't take the time to reiterate what Cheysa has already said about TLOPO and donations. ;)

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
another remake is "Pirates Online Rewritten", which was a project that came before TLOPO. If you're referring to Retch, that's something else.

Allow me to clarify one thing. Pirates Forums is completely able to accept donations or Digital Ocean sponsorship. However, at this time they have chosen not to. Their decision to accept donations has nothing to do with TLOPO. TLOPO is affiliated with PF, but we are not owned by the same people, nor do we have the same staff. This affiliation is not in any way a determinant of the choice to take donations. If PF ever did take donations, that would be their choice alone, completely separate of TLOPO.

And I won't take the time to reiterate what Cheysa has already said about TLOPO and donations. ;)

Chris.
I just figured Retribution was another remake since Rewritten merged with TLOPO. I wasn't saying whether you guys could or couldn't accept donations what I said was wrong was Retribution giving people stuff after they donated, because that honestly sounds a little similar to that old Unlimited Access. Correct me if I am wrong, I am totally supportive of Pirate Forums/TLOPO and never want to be near another remake/Retribution whatever you want to call it. I just believe if Retribution take donations they shouldn't give stuff back in return. If TLOPO took donations without any gift returns I probably would donate because I love the TLOPO project.

I just figured Retribution was another remake since Rewritten merged with TLOPO. I wasn't saying whether you guys could or couldn't accept donations what I said was wrong was Retribution giving people stuff after they donated, because that honestly sounds a little similar to that old Unlimited Access. Correct me if I am wrong, I am totally supportive of Pirate Forums/TLOPO and never want to be near another remake/Retribution whatever you want to call it. I just believe if Retribution take donations they shouldn't give stuff back in return. If TLOPO took donations without any gift returns I probably would donate because I love the TLOPO project.

When Retch accepts donations for a Disney product, they put all of the projects at risk of being shut down completely by Disney. They also risk a major lawsuit.

I'm afraid people fail to recognize this. (And no worries, I was just clarifying for anyone else reading).

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back