What Exactly is a Guild War?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaximander

Wanted Pirate
Anyone from a very large guild might have no problem answering this question. But I simply cease to understand how these "guild wars" function. Please explain, thank you.

You may not want to tie a "guild war" with any particular guild, whether it's big or small. Number of members in a guild really does not have anything to do with guild wars. From my experience joining several so-called large guilds, most of those guilds do not believe, do not exercise and do not affiliate in any guild wars. Some of them make a straight rule against it, meaning there is no guild war activity allowed in the guild.

In my opinion, a guild war is a role-playing game that players do on an MMO(RPG) game. It is a "make-believe event". As make-believe as it might be, for some reasons, the players could get so involved and get carried away at times that it might become a real argument between those involved. Emotions could run high that players could get really angry with each other. I have been in a guild who happened to have predominantly younger players. They involved in the so-called guild wars, but the guildmaster himself stated that they were nothing but bantering words back and forth between those opposite sides. Other than settling through PvP, there was no real fighting that could happen or injure pirates on the game.

I have heard, however, more serious practice of infiltration of some members of certain guild into other guilds for the purpose to destroying those guilds. This happened when the infiltrator gained trust enough from the guild that he/she entered to the point of gaining a higher position (as an officer), and then misused the authority to remove members of that guild. This is obviously a malicious action and intention since the very beginning, and according to any norm, should have not been practiced in a peaceful gaming community.

In the light of peace and freedom of fear while playing Potco, I hope that this thread is not being used to inform the community on how to execute a guild war 'properly', but to inform all of us the pros and cons on why there is such thing as a guild war at all. And hopefully each player would be responsible enough to do the right thing, even in having fun.

:cannon: :cannon: :fight: Aye a guild war is were these two roleplaying guilds such as "The British EITC military declares war on the Delta Republic." It becomes really dramaish sometimes because most people in those roleplaying guilds sometimes try to get power which we call them now the "Power hungry" and try to rule over a guild and take over POTCO and ect.. The top roleplaying guild right now is the British EITC military aka the Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland which is ruled by King George Agustus the II aka John Breasly. I am in the British roleplaying guild right now and I am a military officer and I am in the British government as the Head of the House of commons. We have alot of guild wars because it's to really keep us roleplayers entertained in the game and it's to try to keep the powerhungry from taking over POTCO.

While guild wars might have been intended as a way of extending the whole "role-playing" thing, it now is known by most people as something to stay away from. In theory, it actually sounds interesting. Personally, I think that it is much more desirable to have comaraderie between different guilds. It makes celebrations more fun and it is like extending the extended family. :) But besides that...

I think that some people take the "guild wars" thing too seriously- where guilds argue with each other in mean manners, share nasty insults, and send people to be recruited in opposing guilds so that they can destroy that guild. They also PvP each other a lot- but not in a friendly way. They do it in a way such as, if one side wins, they might act "holier than thou" and very "brag-y". I think that people just tend to take it over the top and allow themselves to get too involved.

I agree with many of you. Guild wars seem like a very good idea, and would be if they where official, so they could be a bit like pvp, and yes many people do overreact, just as in many other things. And I also read that an old guild called Co. Empire used to send out spies and infiltrate other guilds. They almost sabotage inferno! An example of the consequences of overreacting over matters like this.

Yes, I saw no mention of any Spania guild war anywhere, I just thought your guild might know. But then any other guild could know too.

Never really experienced one so i wouldn't know the fine details. Sorry, no help here.
No implication but it kinda sounded odd to be lumped in there.

A guild war is when two guilds fight each other in pvp or svs. The Myst will never contend a guild war. That is a promise that shall never be broken!

EDIT: Cannon Defense is another way to determine a winner.

I'd like to add that half of the time, it isn't even a whole guild that's involved, but rather different people in those guilds. Sometimes the GMs have no idea that their guildees are participating in guild wars. That can lead to certain guilds gettting a bad name- especially if they are a big guild where it's hard to keeep up with what everyone is doing..

Personally if I find it amusing to go on the Player's Wiki and read their guild wars and see how intense they get into it. Guild war's however can be destructive I must agree. Used to be a common issue back before they added in the rank veteran where someone would become an officer and then delete pirates from the guild day by day.

Guild Wars are simply when two guilds disagree, and begin to send spies into each other's guilds and do spy work, maybe delete members (this is why you can now only delete 5 a day max) and things along those lines. These guilds may get allies as well and make the fight reach to a bigger scale. These wars may also include many battles between ships and on land (PvP and SvS). I find that the PotCO Player's Wiki does many of these wars as well. These so called "wars" create a lot of tension, and may eventually cause for one of the guilds involved to disband; many great guilds have fell to the pressure of war.

It would be kinda fun if to guilds got mad at each other they would have the optition to declare guild war and go to a guild war server. players only had to go if they want to. It would just one huge island with lakes you can sail in. It would have land cannons, forts, and one-on-one boundries. Then it would be like a real war, but potco would have to make the game 10 times more relistic, cause we would need to be able to snipe,force people back and that kind of stuff. they would also need to give basic members all the weapons, just not as good and improve the weapons, like having a minimum and maximimum range( you couldn't swing a sword at a guy an inch away from you), better ways to block and doge, Dual wielding( everybody knows it would be awesome to dual wield 2 3barrel pistols), and more weapon types( hand knives, rapier, simatars, axes, fids, spikes, and anything we can get our grubby hands on). So we could expect this in does some math 9,846,549 yrs.

Dang someone's a little moody don't get rude of me if i made a mistake rawr!

That was not very nice of you. Some of us do not see this as being 'funny', even though you said you were just 'messing' with her, especially when we have not seen you posted a lot in this Forums to get familiar with (and calling somebody 'moody' or 'rude' without any basis). Star just plainly clarified what the truth was, and there was no part of her statement that showed the moodiness or rudeness.

Please pay respect to others, as we expect others to do the same to us. Please refer to Term of Service and Rules when posting on this Forums. Thank you.

she said need to get my records right um that is rude for Jack's sake?

Saying to get your records right/straight was not being rude. FYI, I was in Spania as well, so I knew for a fact that there was no guild war allowed or even discussed. She was correct in commenting to check your records correct, because your statement was incorrect. There should not be any more discussion about this. If a statement was incorrect, it needed to be corrected. This thread is about a "guild war". Any more comment about other than that will be off-topic, and will be deleted.

My friend Jarod was in this big guild war back when the Kingshead glitch was still around. He said it was pretty much pointless banter and swinging swords. That part sounds harmless. But the guild infiltration is pretty serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back