What Is Rep-stealing? A Quick Primer

Edward Edgemenace

Honorable Pirate
In Pirates of the Caribbean Online, people often complain about "rep-stealing."

While the term seems perfectly descriptive at first blush, many people misinterpret it and consequently misuse it.

Now, I certainly have stolen rep. There have even been occasions where I could accurately be called a "rep-stealer" myself. Fortunately, those occasions are increasingly rare.

When I refer to "rep-stealers" I am talking about people who actively seek out enemies others are using to level, and defeat them as hard and fast as possible with the intent of making the game miserable for someone else.

The most frequent misuse of the term I see, is talking about someone who is attacking your enemies because they don't yet understand the POTCO reputation system. Invariably, this is a person who has not yet tried to master grenades. Therefore, they don't yet understand that weaker hits give more reputation points.

Attitude is key.

When a situation occurs, being polite wins the day. Sometimes it is a kid who is very excited to be able to kill an urchinfist while they are only level 30 (albeit, with a lot of unintended "help.") Someone entering POTCO will think of themselves (correctly) as a pirate, and delightfully get wrapped up in their piratey ways. It is a rude awakening from that state of mind, to be reminded that you are actually playing the game with other people, who genuinely don't appreciate your being unkind.

Disney's recommendation is to simply switch servers. With half as many servers, that is quite a difficult thing to do these days. Furthermore, that penalizes only the "nice" people in the game, making them, for example, take a minute to switch servers, 30 seconds to relaunch from Cuba, a minute to sail to Tormenta, 30 seconds to land, 10 seconds to re-enter cursed caverns and another minute to fight their way back to Thrall lake.

My recommendation, instead, is to take 5 minutes to be nice to them and explain the problem. Teaching them that they can get MORE rep from yellow enemies, is often well received if approached tactfully. With the new weapons, it is harder for people to understand why level-appropriate enemies give more rep. And everyone new to the game, has trouble understanding that they get the most rep from their WEAKEST weapons and WEAKEST attacks. Heck, even seasoned veterans don't often think about rep-per-minute for leveling, instead focus on getting max rep from each enemy.

I started at level 1.

Someone pointed out to me, that I was quite the noob, when I was new. It was quite an eye-opener to have several people classify me as "a really cute noob" back in my accidental rep-stealing days. Fortunately, they were kind enough to explain to me, what I was doing so wrong, before I got too strong (strong enough to actually steal significant rep.)

With the reputation calculation changes from Spring/Summer 2010, rep-stealing is less of a problem than it was in the past. But it certainly does still exist.

Is there such a thing, as rep-stealing on an ideal server? In my opinion, there is not. A prerequisite for rep-stealing, is that someone is being harassed on a quiet server. Obviously, on an ideal server, you are going to be sharing enemies wherever you go. You can be polite and use weak attacks (and thereby get more rep, yourself) or you can blast away enemies as fast as possible on an ideal server. You (and others) will get decent rep either way - you just get more rep when you use weaker attacks.

Is there such a thing, as rep-stealing at Darkhart on Abassa? In my opinion, there is not. People can sometimes get really good rep from Darkhart during lulls in the activity...but when so many people are there for loot, it is unreasonable to expect good reputation points.

Is there such a thing, as rep-stealing at Darkhart on a quiet server? In my opinion, yes. Someone who has taken the trouble to GET to Darkhart on a quiet server, has a reasonable expectation that they will be able to use that enemy for a while. If someone comes along, they can either cooperate or rep-steal. If both people are there for loot - no problem. If both people are there for leveling - no problem. If one wants to level and the other wants loot, it's a problem. (Sidenote: I never use Darkhart for leveling weapons, myself...he gives very poor rep-per-minute.) In this case, attitude is everything.

Is there such a thing, as rep-stealing on Kingshead? In my opinion, sometimes yes. If there is a group of people using the mob for ranking, I myself have no qualms about stepping in with a cutlass sweep. In that case, I'm not stealing any rep at all, merely getting in on the loot drops. If there is a person leveling their grenades on the mob, and I want to level staff? I'll switch servers if they were there first. Jumping in, in that case, is just not cool.

Everyone has their opinion.

There are many varying opinions about rep-stealing. From what I can tell, it is no indication about how nice or mean a person is. What it is, is an indication of how much someone understands the reputation-points system.

Someone who says rep-stealing simply doesn't exist, in my opinion, is a troll. It is a well-known phenomenon that has no significance at all, below notoriety 40. Someone that hasn't encountered the problem YET, has no basis to form a valid opinion on the topic.

Someone who says rep-stealing is sometimes ok, may often go "looting" with friends in Tormenta, with no intention of ever mastering any weapon other than cutlass. FOR THEM, it is a perfectly valid opinion. Their opinion will probably change later when they try to master other weapons.

Someone who says rep-stealing is ok against rude people, hmmm, ooops, that's me. It's a healthy reminder to MYSELF that this is counter-productive. When I practice what I preach, I get better results. But I make mistakes sometimes, too.

Basketball

The best analogy on this topic I've ever heard, is the "basketball court" analogy. Yes, enemies are open to the "public." If someone is using a basketball court, can you reasonably expect to just take over the entire court?

Summary

Please don't allow this thread to deteriorate into a flame war. The purpose of spelling it out here, is to encourage discussion and learn better methods for dealing with it. This isn't here to lambaste people who don't yet understand the problem - it is here to inform, discuss and educate us all. Don't jump down anyone's throat on this sensitive subject - other forums force this to be flamebait only. Please do not let that happen here...respect other's opinions on this topic, and watch as people learn more.

Personally I feel the only way to REP-STEAL is in a case where someone is doing all the work on an enemy and someone else who is usually weaker just attacks it once or twice to get a loot drop or some rep. Cause when ur a low lvl pirate even attacking a bigger lvl once or twice will give you plenty of rep. I was once at darkheart on somewhat quiet server I was afk, but still watching and I saw someone who was doing this and then he got a famed weapon out of it even though the other guy had been there for a while trying to find a famed.

LOL - maybe we need a new term - "LOOT STEALER!"

Seriously though, in that case, the "big" person doing all the work, isn't getting any less rep, whether the low-level attacks or not. Personally, I love when a low level attacks a Darkhart I'm working on...their attacks dramatically increase the skull-loot-chest drop probability. (And I'm never at Darkhart to level, only to loot, anyhow.)

Should I explain why the big person gets the same rep, either way? Would that be helpful?

LOL - maybe we need a new term - "LOOT STEALER!"

Seriously though, in that case, the "big" person doing all the work, isn't getting any less rep, whether the low-level attacks or not. Personally, I love when a low level attacks a Darkhart I'm working on...their attacks dramatically increase the skull-loot-chest drop probability. (And I'm never at Darkhart to level, only to loot, anyhow.)

Should I explain why the big person gets the same rep, either way? Would that be helpful?

I've noticed that you do get higher chances for skull chests and I agree with you the term loot stealer should be made so we can end this tragic epidemic.

Nice post Edward. I must admit I did not know the rep system for a LONG time.

This is very good information to put out there for people to understand and know thanks. I wish someone would have told me about this long ago I could have mastered weapons faster.

As for the "rep stealing" I agree with what you have said. Many people are out just to do it to be obnoxious yet, it is also thrown at people who are not actually rep stealing.

On my quest for famed weapons I have spend many hours at Darkhart and knowing I want to just look for loot I will go to a quiet server never have I been rude to anyone who has come to the same server as me for I know it takes awhile to get to certain spots. If it bothers me they are there I will simply TP away to a different server.

One time not too long ago me and another guild member went to a quiet server to Darkhart and there was a group of people already there. We were ready to leave due to not wanting to bother them nor "steal rep" but, the comments started flying and I must add very RUDE comments therefore making me upset enough to where I did not want to leave. We proceeded to stay there just because well, we can it's a game and no one "owns" the servers ( this was my attitude at the time) So, I agree attitude is key. If these pirates would have been nice or confronted us differently we would have gladly left them alone.

I also must add I normally do not just stay some place where people are trying to level or loot but in this case how rude they were I just could not help myself. I guess I was having a bad day. lol :p

Nice post Edward. I must admit I did not know the rep system for a LONG time.

Thank you - confession time: me too!
One time not too long ago me and another guild member went to a quiet server to Darkhart and there was a group of people already there. We were ready to leave due to not wanting to bother them nor "steal rep" but, the comments started flying and I must add very RUDE comments therefore making me upset enough to where I did not want to leave. We proceeded to stay there just because well, we can it's a game and no one "owns" the servers (this was my attitude at the time) So, I agree attitude is key. If these pirates would have been nice or confronted us differently we would have gladly left them alone.

I also must add I normally do not just stay some place where people are trying to level or loot but in this case how rude they were I just could not help myself. I guess I was having a bad day. lol

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Every other skull chest that came up, I started shouting "ANOTHER FAMED BROADSWORD!" etc. Sadly, they were there for loot, not rep. So I undoubtedly helped them, just by being there. Live and learn.

Thank you - confession time: me too!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Every other skull chest that came up, I started shouting "ANOTHER FAMED BROADSWORD!" etc. Sadly, they were there for loot, not rep. So I undoubtedly helped them, just by being there. Live and learn.

Nice I got a t-shirt that day too! :p

That is actually rather hilarious about you saying you were getting famed weapons. lol

Thank you for all the information Edward, great post. Love the basketball analogy. Your mention of grenades made me think of mine, as I have not mastered them yet. I either level them by myself or if I'm with other people I always ask if they mind if use them.

I don't care when people steal my rep if all I am doing is looting, but if I am trying to level dagger it can considered rude if someone just starts killing everything, this has happened a few time at kingshead, some times people get mad when I tell them I am trying to level dagger.

One time some friends and I were ranking, and someone came and started yelling and got mad and told me, that we don't own the servers, and that she pays money to play any where she wants etc.

These can be considered "Rank Stealers"?

I mentioned this post to a friend. After talking just a minute or two, they reminded me of what a total noob, I used to be. There was this one time... Hmmm. I wish it were only one time...

Well, I used to think I was valiantly "saving" people. There they were, happily leveling their weapons, out of nowhere, EdEd would appear and "save" them. GAWD I was such a noob. I really thought I was helping them - couldn't figure out (for a LOOONG time) how on earth they could possibly be upset at my gallantry. As I would stand there and /flex, I would figure they were just jealous of how awesome I was. (OK, 3 years later, now I too can laugh about it.)

Aye, a cute noob. Arrrgh, pirate! At least I finally did learn...

Thank you for taking the time to explain rep stealing Edward. My hope is that this will help with the problem. You have encouraged me to have discussions when I find myself in those situations. Usually, I just leave! I agree that attitude is key . . . I will work on mine :)

These can be considered "Rank Stealers"?

Is there really is such a thing? If you are ranking, you are going for fast kills, right? If you don't kill them within 10 seconds, they take an extra 30 seconds to respawn. If a group of people is ranking on the Kingshead mob, one more cutlass sweep won't slow them down, nor speed them up.

Now someone sieging that same mob, would be a classic rep-stealer. (Typically, someone that knows how to make their siege strong enough to take out the mob instantly, is also well versed on this topic. Reasonable discussion might be a way out. But it's usually too late by the time someone relogs to bring their level 50 on, just to siege the mob in retaliation for some perceived misdeed.)

Thank you for all the information Edward, great post. Love the basketball analogy. Your mention of grenades made me think of mine, as I have not mastered them yet. I either level them by myself or if I'm with other people I always ask if they mind if use them.

The "Basketball Court" analogy is not mine, but fits just so perfectly. If I could remember who first told me that, I would. But I was too stunned by how perfect it was!

Igor have to say very nice thread Ed. Igor think we all can learn from this mate !!

ok, call me stupid, could you explain it again, i am not getting this, i just know when i go play say at the fort, to level like my dagger, or heal low level friends with my doll, and someone comes in with a staff or the grenades, it upsets me, because he takes everyone out, not giving anyone a chance. I also realize my being level 38 there, i dont take out any thing low, saving those for lower levels, thinking it is being fair to all. When i ask those, if they ever play at kingswood as a bit of a hint for the staff, they dont seem to take the hint. Then i call a level 50 friend to bring in their staff, and they quickly leave, that always works too.:confused:

Can't call you stupid for that at all. If I play with your wording a little, it is perhaps another, maybe better definition of a rep-stealer. "Someone who takes everything out, not giving anyone else a chance." I might add something about attitude or motivation...or, maybe not.

With the new weapons, it is possible for low level players to attack enemies MUCH higher than appropriate. This confuses the issue. In general, if you see YELLOW enemy tags, you are fighting appropriate enemies (for the weapon they are yellow, for.) More than ten levels above that = definitely not appropriate. Gray tags (on the enemy's level) mean you may possibly be accidentally rep-stealing (if other low level pirates are trying to use those same guys to level.)

i just love you Capten Blacksheep, :oops:and ty edward for spelling that out for me, makes sense now,

many moons ago i had a Founder friend explain the "Finer ways" of game play in PotC. she pointed out how things work. she told me the harder it is to defeat your enemy the more the reps you will earn so use one skill point in each attack you have with your weapons and max out your static abilities. and i have used this to this day.as for rep stealing she did something rather interesting she had me attack a Spanish Bandido. she in turn called three lvl 40s to attack also. and they did to make a point. they finished the Bandido off and i got maybe a swing in. she asked what i got for reps and it was dismal like 20 and she said now when you master your own pirate be respectful of others lower than your pirate if anything help them by healing them and moving on... and people wonder why i have over 270 player friends.. and Ed you are absolutely right it is all about your attitude. if you are in a bad mood try to come here first to the Forums to calm yourself before you log. it will save a lot of anger management classes. the static abilities by the way she explained to me were any abilities that did no damage to your enemy. great post EdEd. very much what alot of pirates need to know and learn from. personal expierience.

Back