What is the backstory behind YOUR pirate?

Captain Jim Hexskull was once a sailor for the Royal Navy. After the Navy ordered him to destroy an entire merchant fleet simply because of a personal grudge, he decided that he would no longer fly the British colors. He cut up his British flag, and flew a black flag, then attacked the merchants anyway. He decided that if he was going to pillage innocent villages and ships, it was going to be to make himself and his friends richer, not the Royal Navy. He stole his War Brig, the HMS Invincible, and renamed her the Black Widow, the rest is history. That's the short version anyway.

Captain Davy McShot grew up as a shy boy named David Johnson in the British harbor colony Port Royal. He kept to himself and wouldn't hurt a fly. But he was often picked on and outcasted, which got him into many fights, all of which he lost. One day, a former navy-man of mystery and piracy with a life riddled of crime named Joshamee Gibbs approached the boy with an accord. He teaches the boy how to fight victoriously, and David had to make his life one of piracy. The boy agreed to the accord. Joshamee taught him how to fight. He won his fights and got into trouble frequently. From his piracy, his parents were hung at the gallows. In anger, David went under the name Davy McShot, Captained the Sea Legend and became the Guildmaster and Founder of the Legendary Elites known as "Hoist The Colors". He remains a force to be reckoned with and has had a bounty of 10,000 guineas on his head since he's turned 15. As the legend goes, anyone who opposes him will spend an eternity on a Moon-lit Earth living as a skeleton until the souls of his parents are avenged.

Jack Cannonskull grew up in Port Royal under command of the Navy. He was taught how to use a blade early in his life which lead to him one day mastering the arts of fencing. He was a navy commander for a while under the command of Commodore Norrington. He was good friends with a pirate named @Hector Shipwrecker with which he looted and destroyed skeletons and the remains of Davy Jones's Crew with often. One time Hector Shipwrecker asked Jack If he would be interested in joining a new force that would overpower the Navy, pirates, and the EITC. Jack decided to accept the invitation and he joined the new force. Jack was a triple agent, working for the pirates as well as the EITC and the new force. Jack was caught by the EITC and thrown in prison. Jack, who was not just known for his blade skills but also his cleverness out smarted the guard and escaped prison. Jack knew that he could not stay with the new force nor did it suit him. He looked toward the option of pirating. Jack became a pirate and joined the guild called Enchanted Angels where he met another pirate named @Davy McShot he and Davy became friends and the famed Davy McShot founded a new guild known above as "Hoist The Colors" Jack accepted his invitation as a co gm. Jack is known for his often Ship runs and his enjoyment of fighting. He is wanted by the EITC, and Navy for helping the new force as well as destroying their ships. As you now known Jack has changed alliances many times so the real question is...

"Where will he make his alliance next, or will he stay with the pirates."

FYI.... You may wonder why I didn't say Captain Jack Cannonskull........

"I'm in the market."

Last edited:
made me smile mate :)
Jack Cannonskull grew up in Port Royal under command of the Navy. He was taught how to use a blade early in his life which lead to him one day mastering the arts of fencing. He was a navy commander for a while under the command of Commodore Norrington. He was good friends with a pirate named @Hector Shipwrecker with which he looted and destroyed skeletons and the remains of Davy Jones's Crew with often. One time Hector Shipwrecker asked Jack If he would be interested in joining a new force that would overpower the Navy, pirates, and the EITC. Jack decided to accept the invitation and he joined the new force. Jack was a triple agent, working for the pirates as well as the EITC and the new force. Jack was caught by the EITC and thrown in prison. Jack, who was not just known for his blade skills but also his cleverness out smarted the guard and escaped prison. Jack knew that he could not stay with the new force nor did it suit him. He looked toward the option of pirating. Jack became a pirate and joined the guild called Enchanted Angels where he met another pirate named @Davy McShot he and Davy became friends and the famed Davy McShot founded a new guild known above as "Hoist The Colors" Jack accepted his invitation as a co gm. Jack is known for his often Ship runs and his enjoyment of fighting. He is wanted by the EITC, and Navy for helping the new force as well as destroying their ships. As you now known Jack has changed alliances many times so the real question is...

"Where will he make his alliance next, or will he stay with the pirates."

FYI.... You may wonder why I didn't say Captain Jack Cannonskull........

"I'm in the market."

Anne Stormhawk originally hails from Plymouth, England. She grew up on the coast, poor but content. When she was 17 her father was appointed to a minor clerk's position on the Port Royal governor's staff. The ship she and her family were sailing on was beset by Corsican raiders. Her parents did not survive the attack, but Anne, knocked overboard during the melee, managed to cling to some of the wreckage, and after 2 days she fished up on the Port Royal shore. With no family and no funds, she used her wiles and wits to "commandeer" a substantial amount of money from the home of a wealthy landholder, who was away on business, stowed away on a Tortuga-bound sloop, and once in the raucous pirate port she bought her own ship, cobbled together a scurvy crew of misfits, and began her sea-going life of infamy.

During one of Anne's brief visits to Tortuga to re-provision her ship, she encountered a filthy, light-fingered street orphan named Jade Stormspinner. Anne recognized a kindred spirit in young Jade and took her under her wing, so to speak, and began teaching Jade proper pirating beginning when the lass was 13. They became inseparable, like mother and daughter, and when Jade was old enough to sail her own ship, Anne bought her a fine brig. They frequently sail their ships in tandem now, preying on unwary Navy, EITC and rich merchant ships wherever they find them.

Together they continue to build a small fleet, with tried and true hands always willing to sign on for a profitable voyage. They call themselves the Storm Legion and they may be found an any corner of the Caribbean, plundering and brawling alongside their pirate mates.

Great thread. I actually have boatloads of notes for Bort Greasegorb lore written up in case I ever wanna put it together into a story. I've had some of these ideas since a few days into first starting Bort. Heck, I actually have everything that happened to me during TLOPO so far written down! (I plan to post it either when I quit/the game closes or just goes on long hiatus save some confidential whispers with friends and the like.)

Anyway, my idea for Bort's beginning was that he is a Scottish shipbuilder named Solomon somewhere in Europe. However, one day, a worker maniacally runs around the dock screaming that pirates are invading. While others jump off the docks and swim to shore to escape, Solomon has heard about the pirate life and aspires to be one himself, sick of the poor paycheck he gets and the oppressive Navy. When the pirates inevitably invade the area Bort is working at, Bort puts his hammer down and his hands up, saying he wants to join. Thankfully, these scallywags are open hearted, and they toss Solomon a blade and welcome him aboard. During the ride, a pirate helps Solomon devise a pirate name. Solomon, having no idea what to call himself and only having heard some other pirates' names for inspiration, just blabbers "Bort...Grease...Gorb" and decides to roll with it by the time he reaches Port Royal.

born Maire Múireann McQuinty, Cork Ireland, To the unwed mother and lover of a respected English Naval Captain. Máire grew up in poverty, near the docks and backstreets of Cork.As a youth she was raised by her maiden Aunt Róisín after the death of her destitute mother.
But life was hard and prospects where few,and with time the loathing of her fathers abandonment grew into outright hatred of all British oppressors, and a most rebellious youth. As a street urchin she dressed more like a boy than young girl, going by the name of Mark, as she became skilled at picking pockets of many a drunken "mark" near the taverns. She also picked up many a salty phrase from local sailors, and became quite skilled with thrown daggers while playing mumbly peg to pass the days away. Her tom boy attitude, appearance and wits of survival taught her to live hard and trust no one. Only the sea seemed to calm her rebellious nature, and she often spent hours watching the sea and ships, frequenting the docks and listening to the sailors stories. She befriended many sailors and dockworkers and it was just a matter of time before she fell in with a rowdy group.
At 14 she was befriended by the young merchant Captain Shaun Wiggins, booking passage to the new world, and in need of a cabin boy. Mistaking the lass for a young lad he had often seen frequenting the docks, she was offered passage in exchange for service. With a chance to escape her long hated life she accepted. But fate had other plans in store for the lass.
But a day outside Jamaica, the ship was spied by another ship that at first trailed behind it around mid day. Before 6 bells the ship bore down on the slower sailing fluyt and it was surely pirates. The Captain ordered young Mark to his cabin and the ship prepared to resist the boarders . After the brief sounds of shouts and terrible fighting the ship grew silent and the cabin door was opened by a large man in a frock coat followed by 3 others with cutlasses drawn. The youth standing before the captains chest with a dagger showed no fear and assaulted the men with a series of oaths that would make a old salt blush. To this the large man laughed loudly and said "well ,seems this molly coddled lad has spirit boys. Put down ye blade lad and join me crew, you have more spunk than half these scurvy dogs." And with that young Mark was taken aboard the pirates vessel "Albatross" and over time became the crews mascot, lookout and the Captains favorite.
Mark learned the ways of the ship, to fire the guns,sparred with cutlass and blade with the crew, stood lookout for ships and even basic navigation. The ship based out of Tortuga, and when in port Mark never left the Captains side. As days became months, then years young mark grew and developed certain "ways" that led the Captain to believe he was indeed perhaps a molly but fearless nonetheless.
It was not until falling overboard while taking a prize and being fished from the sea the truth became apparent. To the shock of the crew the lad was in fact a lass and much commotion ensued that she should be put ashore at once. To have nothing to do with that plan, Maire drew her cutlass and shouted out. "I challenge any of you bilge ridden dogs that think me any less to prove it!" The loudest of the protesters reached for a brace of pistols, but before he could pull it ,with a sweep of her hand , her dagger pinned his sleeve to the gunwale. In a flash she was on him ,her cutlass at his throat. Then a shot rank out. Captain Bart shouted "belay that lass! ye show as much courage as ye did when we first met. Ye have served well and as loyal as any man here. Our plunder has been often and lest we forget ,twas ye keen eye that spotted a many of those prizes.I say the Molly is charmed, she shall be left alone and any man that says otherwise will answer to me!"
And so with that "Mad" Molly McQuinty came of age and in time lead members of the crew to claim her own prize ship, The war Frigate Golden Goddess. Now often seen near Kings Head or Padre Isle she is the terror of East India trading ships and British Naval vessels alike, taking what she can and giving nothing back.

Year, 5430, i was about to compleat a weapon that would convert the world into what aver i wish. the world is with in my grasp i said. the meachene was as big as the empire state building, with spikes coming out f it, and a anti-mater converter on it, to make what aver i wish. Vicotry was in my grasps when an special agent i thought i destroyed showed up. he tryed to talk me out of it...the fool! i just laughed at him as i turn the meachene on once i compleated it. the agent charged at me and we did a brawl. i pinned him down and put my weapon to his neck getting ready to end it- agent kill no.100 would be my score! seems i am truly the master of all evil villiens. when lighting stroke the meachene, it started to spark i tryed to run for cover when it exploded, and a tempral portal opened, it pulled me and the agent inside of it. i woke up on a unkown island called port royal, no sign of the agent anywere. with nothing to stop me this time, this new lands will be mine.

OK, it's a little rough but here goes:

Jack and Angelica Warwallace were two young siblings growing and learning in prosperous Minertown. Their father, a powerful Naval officer who was a commander of troops in Minertown with relations to Governor Weatherby himself, was needed to move to Port Royal for confidential EITC reasons (something in his burned diaries mentioned loads of gunpowder and the large towns across the Caribbean). Their plans for movement worked out perfectly. Jack and Angelica arrived in splendor on what was then, Port Royal.
A few years passed, and the political officials and high ranking officers recieved a message detailing the loss of a great battle in Minertown. Young Jack, who had recently become a rank in the King's Royal Navy rivaling that of his father's, had the duty of commanding a battalion of soldiers in a scouting operation. He brought along his sister, knowing she was a great companion in battle and showed incredible knowledge in strategy. What they soon encountered was a sight that should not be seen by any man or woman, young or old. Their fellow soldiers were were consumed by powerful, ghastly spirits of crimson and orange. They fled, along with a few other soldiers, to their personal ship, a war-class sloop, with tattered clothing and empty flintlocks.
With such a small crew, their sloop was set upon by pirates and easily captured. The two were forced to crew the pirates' ship, the Golden Knight. Soon the captain, a fearsome fellow with eight pistols strapped across his chest and three broadswords surrounding his person, convinced them to serve a new pirate order honoring the freedom and will of every man in the world. These new pirates were given the Golden Knight, as their captain had acquired a great new frigate with maroon sails and golden trim and more than a hundred cannons.
With their Knight, their wits, and their crew, the duo of captains conquerded many legions of undead, British Navy, and EITC soldiers.

Last edited:
Grey Vice, previously a merchant sailor in the New World looking to expand his wares; was traveling to the Caribbean from Cape Cod when a pirate ship, cutting through the waves appeared out of nowhere just past midnight and raged cannon fire upon the Brigantine known as the 'White Rose'. Merchants are always equipped to defend their ships, but while in the open ocean, and at night the crew was unprepared for the battle and the ship was swiftly sunken (Not being the captain, he was not forced to follow the ship to the depths). Just before the pirates prepared to make way from the destruction Grey climbed aboard, clothes torn to shreds, soon made his way aboard the opposing vessel. Exhausted he fell asleep next to a half-dead drunk at the bow of the ship.
When he woke, the crew has left the ship for port at Tortuga. Knowing of the Navy's Fort Charles on Port Royal, he knew his best chance of survival were to head there. Overhearing the captain of a Sloop nearby heading to the island, Grey hid himself aboard the ship and waited. With the island in sight, the anxious sailor rehearsed his proclamation quietly whispering. Sadly for him, a crew member heard him and alerted the Captain. Binding his hands behind his back, the crew signaled a Navy Vessel who soon after carried him away to Rambleshack, for a visit with a man he would've soon met, Jack Sparrow.
A new hate for the world grew inside Grey Vice. King George's Men always had to get involved with business that wasn't theirs, in the Caribbean and in the Colonies. This was the last time, he swore that all interactions with the navy would disrupt their intentions of a controlled world. Having been born into poverty in London, his family sailed across the Atlantic hoping to find a better life from the abusive country and sought refuge. Sparrow's men helping him, selflessness for a man they don't know. Risking their lives for a stranger of little to no worth ? Maybe there are more. Time passed until he met the pirate port Tortuga again.

Last edited:
Ember was born as Ember McDonelly. She wasn't very well accepted b/c of the color of her hair. There weren't many other red-haired, fair skinned children in her village. She was bullied and picked on and her heart became cold after being repeatedly emotionally abused by those she called friends. Ember stowed away on a lowly ship and only the captain knew her gender. He watched over her and taught her the ways of a sword, how to sail, but most importantly how to never allow herself to be hurt again. She became twice the pirate that most were accommodating upon his ship so he made her his second in command. She watched him die by the sword of another pirate and plotted revenge. However, upon over-running his ship and taking over his crew, she had her doubts about killing the scoundrel. So she gave him a quick death using her previous captain's knife, dressed him up in a pink tu-tu and threw him out the window of his quarters where the sharks were waiting with baited breath. She had earned the respect and honor of the crew. She called to all her mates and let her long, red curls flow down her back for the first time in many years. The ocean breeze seemed to whisper through her hair and she talked to her new crew. "Have you not seen what I can do? Follow me, or you will die with embarrassment. I am a woman, but my heart has been broken and become cold." Thus, the legends and loyalty of Ember Heartless continue to inspire the hearts of those fighting to prove themselves. A heart can love, but when one has no heart to give...it's Heartless.

Back